Sonic Unleashed?

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Re: Sonic Unleashed?

Post by Locit »

Seeing as he joined a day after the leak, I'd say you're a bit off with that one.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Sorry I've been gone from Internet Land a throbbing 2 full days and didn't hear news about it until today on IGN, where it looked like it was just announced this morning. I really expected something like that to be in the news section of the forum.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

It seems we now have a name for the monster from the first screenshot leak... Dark Gaia.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

So where's regular Gaia? Outside the Earth?

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Babelfish wrote:The blue whirlwind where on the enormous space battleship, it appears suddenly.

The sonic the hedgehog finishing the very important spectacle, you did in the last stronghold of the Dr. egg man.

There is midst of the Dr. egg man and last fight and the climax of sonic.

Becoming supersonic, it destroys extreme fight, corners the Dr. egg man.

But, that was the magnificent trap which all Dr. egg men set up.

Depending on the high energy capture device which surrounds around supersonic suddenly,

With power of supersonic sonic power of the chaos emerald is taken.

So, very obtaining seven chaos emeralds which supersonic it appears before the Dr. egg man has,

It was true purpose of the Dr. egg man.

The Dr. egg man converts the energy of the chaos emerald which was inserted in the hand negative number from to correct,

The enormous Dark energy, from the space energy artillery you rammed down to the planet of the self.

With the rumbling the planet which cracks in seven.

Even in world fearful enormous monster “Dark Gaia” awakening from sleep, it appears from the crack of the continent.

The Dr. egg man, making this Dark awake Gaia, has been about will attach to the subordinate, to control the planet.

Simultaneously, as for sonic it is involved in the place of the energy converter of the chaos emerald, accident occurred in the body.

The muscle rose, the nail became pointed, the fang grew, the entire body was covered in the black hair, it became the form like the beast.

Sonic changes to the fearful form and ends,

“Business was completed”, as if the Dr. egg man who is expelled from outer space.
PROTIP: Don't look to Google for a better translation. Suprisingly this was more readable.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

FlashTHD wrote:The muscle rose, the nail became pointed, the fang grew, the entire body was covered in the black hair
Give me a second to formulate a puberty joke around this.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Stupid. Needs moar giant robots.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

So Eggman builds another space barge and pretends to toss together a half-baked world domination plan with the expectation that Sonic will gather the 7 Chaos Emeralds for him and he'll be able to trap Super Sonic in a glass tube and suck the emeralds out of him? That's...well, other than the glass tube part, that's kind of clever. And I think that's the most positive thing I've said about a Sonic story since SA2.

Eggman's trick got me thinking, maybe this Dark Gaia thing is really a fake-out. We know that they built this game on fan feedback, so surely they came across the general notion that everyone's tired of Eggman being betrayed by the dragon he unleashes. Maybe we're expected to think it'll be another Evil In A Can trope, but then Eggman suddenly takes control again and ends up being the real boss.

This also pushes Advance 3 out of the canon. If Dark Gaia was hiding in the Earth and the only requirement to free it was to crack it open, it should've happened then.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Frieza2000 wrote:So Eggman builds another space barge and pretends to toss together a half-baked world domination plan with the expectation that Sonic will gather the 7 Chaos Emeralds for him and he'll be able to trap Super Sonic in a glass tube and suck the emeralds out of him? That's...well, other than the glass tube part, that's kind of clever. And I think that's the most positive thing I've said about a Sonic story since SA2.
Guess it's worth mentioning now, if anyone hasn't caught it, that the last sentence was mangled by both translators. What it's supposed to mean is Eggman telling Sonic "that's all I need you for" and promptly ejecting him out in space. Nothing pleasant like a ride in a highly combustable capsule either, just woosh out a trap door. There's an Eggman we haven't seen in a while.

You can see this happening near the end of the Endless Possibility trailer, in one of the four windows.

hedgepig

Post by hedgepig »

Those pesky emeralds always go missing; seems like each continent has secured their own emerald for their own gain. Sonic may fall foul of Beijing, Washington and the European and African nations in his quest to collect them. The fact he becomes a demon in the evening won't help his cause. 'Course, once he defeats Eggman the world leaders will be courting him as if he's Bono or the Dalai Lama.

Jack Bz

Post by Jack Bz »

At the very least, I think this game will have the most badass cut scenes since the opening and ending animations from Sonic CD. I think they've got the general tone of the game perfect, but the gameplay doesn't excite me too much. Sure, Sonic can stop, but most of the times he can only shift left and right as opposed to going in an actual different direction, it seems. The werewolf gameplay looks better than I thought, except that the combat really does look boring.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

I'm impressed with how they've inverted the "Sonic turns Super at the end and defeats the baddie" cliché to actually set-up the plot. I hope that the plot is resolved in an equally unconventional manner.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Actually, it reminds me of Sonic 3, only that this time it's Eggman who knocks down Super Sonic instead of Knuckles.

To be sincere, both styles of gameplay look somewhat fun, but sadly nowhere near being actual Sonic games, and I'm getting tired of waiting for a SA-based game that features only Sonic style gameplay and maybe one or two additional characters with one or two particular abilities and all that stuff you already know.
Of course Blur Studio should produce a Sonic movie, if SEGA really wants to have one done properly. Coupled with some kickass Production I.G sequences, too.

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

hedgepig wrote:Those pesky emeralds always go missing; seems like each continent has secured their own emerald for their own gain.
Actually, the representative at E3 said that Sonic is traveling to 7 temples around the world to get the emeralds recharged. It sounds like blasphemy, but I think the continuity is well beyond lamenting at this point.

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

Frieza2000 wrote:Actually, the representative at E3 said that Sonic is traveling to 7 temples around the world to get the emeralds recharged. It sounds like blasphemy, but I think the continuity is well beyond lamenting at this point.
Seriously, the less people are reminded of the last four years of Sonic the better. I'm not really sure how this violates/retcons any sort of canon, though.

Wait, no, I'm glad I don't know. Like, really glad.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

I don't think it's a retcon as much as it is just plain stupid.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Locit wrote:I'm not really sure how this violates/retcons any sort of canon, though.

That's where they should be.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Re:

Post by P.P.A. »

Isuka wrote:
Locit wrote:I'm not really sure how this violates/retcons any sort of canon, though.

That's where they should be.
I always thought they should be floating in surreal, psychedelic voids.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Sadly enough, it looks like Sonic isn't allowed any more psychodelic trips. Orders from above, you know.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

I thought we all knew they scatter to wherever when the good guys are done with them?

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Uh... no?
That happened on that 80's show.

Plus, it's implied that Sonic clinged to the Emeralds and is now traveling all over the world to get them recharged.

Locit
News Guy

Re:

Post by Locit »

Dude no one gives a shit where the Emeralds go. For serious.

Well, I don't anyway.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

I always thought there were many sets of 7 Emeralds as they looked kinda different in each game before SA.

not to mention time stones.

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

What Dack said. It doesn't necessarily violate anything, it's just that the emeralds somehow losing their power after one use in a standard doomsday cannon is inexplicable and suddenly introducing temples that can recharge them is likewise. It also suggests that they might be be expanding on the origin of the emeralds, which feels kind of sacrilegious to me now that the original team is gone. Well, it would feel sacrilegious if there was anything about the series that still felt sacred.

Continuity discussion ahoy!
After Sonic 1 the 6 emeralds seem to fly away at the end, presumably back to the other dimension where they'll be gathered again in Sonic 2. That's what I always used to think, but then Station Square awards an emerald to Tails after SA1, suggesting that they didn't get too far after Sonic was done with them. Once I thought that, as an effect of their permanent shape change in S3&K, they no longer went back to the other dimension automatically but then came Heroes. And then we find them lying around randomly in Shadow. I'm tempted to add to the list of Dragonball parallels, but the inconsistence of which dimension they end up in suggests a human element. It probably worked that way originally, but with the removal of the special stages they just forgot about it. Now I guess Sonic usually just takes them with him as the runs aimlessly around the world and drops them as he goes. He put them back in the other dimension in Sonic 1 and Sonic 3&K, then Knuckles does his story in S&K and keeps one in Icecap while leaving Tails to drop the others wherever. GUN had easily gathered 3 in their vault between SA1&2, so maybe the cast chose to put them back in the other dimension thinking it safer. Then, I don't know, maybe the 4 teams split the emeralds at the end of Heroes and they wind up in several possible locations in Shadow. I'm pretty sure this is something the team hasn't thought about in the last 7 years.

Also, for those who haven't seen it.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

I've theorized they don't scatter on their own.

Sonic -> blow dealer -> money launderer -> hiding place while fuzz investigates organization -> Sonic finds them again