Sonic Unleashed?

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Re: Sonic Unleashed?

Post by Ngangbius »

Kogen wrote:Sure it could all turn into a shitestorm like usual, but I honestly think this is the closest they've been in awhile with the limited screenshots we've seen. Basically I mean it has the most potential of a game made after Sonic Adenture.
That was basically the same shite that was stated about Sonic 2K6 before the uber media blowout at E3. Look how that turned out in the end!

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

...... A heroic blue hedgehog. A fat, evil yet pretty childish mad scientist who wants to conquer the world. A bunch of critters who are trapped into mechanical war machines. Crazy worlds. Awesome music. Great landscapes. High speed...

Is it that hard? really?

I'll try to process so much info in as little lines as I can:
- Some of the background shots actually are jaggy, though it's somewhat bogus that most of them don't. Maybe they developed a completely new engine that manages this and some other effects at the expense of detail or something? (though I agree it looks strikingly similar to Ratchet & Clank Future: ToD).
- Based on the in-game shots, the gameplay is definitely based on SatSR, but I'm not sure if it's either PS3 or 360. It could be on par with Galaxy, but it looks a bit too "massive" in comparison.
- Why is this leak so fucking XBOXHUEG? and why 70% of this forum's members must be so fucking dramatic over fucking ANYTHING?
Last edited by Isuka on Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

Ngangbius wrote:
Kogen wrote:Sure it could all turn into a shitestorm like usual, but I honestly think this is the closest they've been in awhile with the limited screenshots we've seen. Basically I mean it has the most potential of a game made after Sonic Adenture.
That was basically the same shite that was stated about Sonic 2K6 before the uber media blowout at E3. Look how that turned out in the end!
Sonic 06' wasn't cartoony, it didn't have nice environments(graphically, yes), it didn't show 2D gameplay, it didn't have Robotnik looking good(it had an evil army of generic robots), and so on. Yes it looked nice, but it was just Sonic Adventure 3 before it turned into whatever it is now. I'm just saying if this game does turn out good, which it possibly could, then it'll be better than Sonic 06' and Sonic Wildfire(and others).

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Just to not get all worked-up or anything, in case that there's some in-development video of a beta build, do not take it like it'll be anything like the finished game.
We'll wait for the more accurate Xbox Live/ PlayStation Network demo to start the wagers.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Isuka wrote:...... A heroic blue hedgehog. A fat, evil yet pretty childish mad scientist who wants to conquer the world. A bunch of critters who are trapped into mechanical war machines. Crazy worlds. Awesome music. Great landscapes. High speed...

Is it that hard? really?
I read over that and did find it interesting that, really, no 3D game has been innocent of not trying to beef up the classic gameplay with some gimmick. When I think about it on those terms, Emerald Coast is the apex. I don't mean that in the sense of "Sonic doesn't work in 3D". It was a glorious apex, and a slow tapering for the first few years, but it's gotten to be too much about what color the wallpaper in the media room should be when the foundation is cracking. And I really think they'd find that if they fixed the foundation, they'd be amazed how little else is required.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

I tried playing Sonic and the Secret Rings a few months ago and it was barely functional. The challange of a game shouldn't come from trying to make your character move and jump the way you want it to. I hope this isn't more of the same.
The funny thing is with Rings that it's entirely a design decision to have those bad controls. You literally earn better controls as you play. No I don't just mean slightly upgraded moves, I mean literally better controls. The powerups are things such as faster and smoother steering, abilities that create far more flow to jumping, landing, braking and moving backwards, faster acceleration to stop the painful build up at the beginning, etc.

It's no exaggeration with Rings to say it plays like an entirely different game when you actually have a lot of the upgraded settings on but this isn't really me defending the game to be honest because it was a RETARDED design decision on Sega's part to make the initial experience incredibly flawed as it's obviously put many people off the game right from the get go because plain and simply at the beginning it's not fun.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Kogen wrote:Sonic 06' wasn't cartoony, it didn't have nice environments(graphically, yes), it didn't show 2D gameplay, it didn't have Robotnik looking good(it had an evil army of generic robots), and so on. Yes it looked nice, but it was just Sonic Adventure 3 before it turned into whatever it is now. I'm just saying if this game does turn out good, which it possibly could, then it'll be better than Sonic 06' and Sonic Wildfire(and others).
How does this game have 2D gameplay? It looks like all the 3D Sonic so far and some folks even speculated that it's on rails like Secret Rings.

All I am saying is that with every major(major being console releases and not including Shadow) Sonic game, folks get excited with the first few pictures only to become increasingly concerned or wary whem more info or demo of the game trickles out. Then they become upset after they played the game because it turns out Sonic Team really haven't learned from their mistakes or they take one step forward, several steps back in design. Folks swear than Sonic is finally dead to them, then a year later Sega announce a new Sonic game, and the cycle begins annew.

http://i30.tinypic.com/2ymwrro.jpg

The cycle of Sega's battered housewife syndrome.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Which group of "folks" exactly you talking about? I know I haven't gotten my hopes up in the least through all of this in the past 24 hours.

If you yank "gameplay looks to be the same old" from the second bubble, the cycle would still work (for some).
Last edited by FlashTHD on Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

I'm completely sick of even commenting on the things idiots say will fix Sonic. I'll just do a list of good Sonic characters: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Robotnik, Metal Sonic, Mecha Sonic, Silver Sonic, Mecha Knuckles, Tails Doll, Amy, Vector, Espio, Mighty, Tikal, Chaos, Gamma, and Fang. There, that's a ton of characters that are good, complaining about seeing someone who isn't Sonic makes you a fucktard to me(referring to people who complain about it).

Secondly, we want old gameplay.

Anyway, back to the point. To me, this makes me think it'll have 2D gameplay, though it could possibly just be the way the picture is set up:

http://www.playwii.de/wii/uploads/galle ... c-3702.jpg

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

You know, usually they save screenshots of the giant Kaiju who usurps Eggman till the game is released so we're all "surprised", but I guess it's become so rote by now it's not even supposed to be a surprise after Chaos, Biolizard, and Solaris.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOI0kHe_tT8

Video. And yes, it's 2D... ish.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

the video got yanked down before I got to see it. How did it look?!

edit: nvm there's another version up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjxnhXs7Mqs

Watch it before it gets pulled!!!
Last edited by Radrappy on Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Robotnik, Metal Sonic and Blaze. There, that's a ton of characters that are good, complaining about seeing someone who isn't Sonic makes you a fucktard to me(referring to people who complain about it).
Fix'd.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

I don't like cats, sorry.

And it's basically Sonic Rushish, but with 3D segments going foward into the screen(ex: Sonic 2 bonus stage view). It switches through it in the same stage. Sonic's jumps also are oddly not "spins", I think, or just weird looking ones - I guess it's just not completed enough. The graphics look great and are 360/PS3 quality.

http://ninterra.org/videos/sonic_unleashed.flv

Get it before it's dead again!
Last edited by Kogen on Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

You know, I could "fix" that list 50 ways to next sunday, you think it'll do anyone else a lick of good?

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

The hell, leaked video now too? Sega needs to stop leaving this stuff around where people can find it, if they don't want it up on Youtube! OR, given the tenacious nature of the fanbase, they should be doing this intentionally and making massive Halo 2-esque chases across the internet for clues.
Zeta wrote:You know, usually they save screenshots of the giant Kaiju who usurps Eggman till the game is released so we're all "surprised", but I guess it's become so rote by now it's not even supposed to be a surprise after Chaos, Biolizard, and Solaris.
Actually the picture of Perfect Chaos with his face sticking out the side of a building was one of the first Sonic Adventure screens released. I remember thinking the website posting it (IGN or something) had fucked up and misplaced a picture of the previously-announced Godzilla title.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Looks more Rivalish than Rushish.

It's crap. Let's discuss economics.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Nice video. It looks good. It sounds good. Reminds me a little of Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, which was also good. But we all know that it's almost certainly going to suck like just about every other Sonic game this decade.

Is there any word yet on who's developing this?

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

StormCheese Studios.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

Looks good, sounds good.....and it'll also be the only half-decent level in the game.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Wow, some of you guys are fags. They actually do a 2D next-gen Sonic game and you say it sucks like Sonic Rivals in the first video footage released. Don't even play new Sonic games or talk about them again, you'll obviously never like anything related to it and you're wasting your time.

And why does it suck, exactly? Other than it staring a blue hedgehog and having a SEGA logo, which means nothing.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

You obviously haven't seen weresonic.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

So? Like I said a few posts back, it's no worse than Super Sayin Sonic.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

Because it's best to hate on it now and expect the worst, that way we'll all be pleasantly surprised when it actually turns out to be good. Which it wont.

Also, looking at that video again, I really don't see how Were-Sonic fits in with the mood of this game.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Kogen wrote:So? Like I said a few posts back, it's no worse than Super Sayin Sonic.
Hm, coulda sworn we had established by that point you have as little common sense as Sega has now.