Sonic Unleashed?

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Esrever
Drano Master

Re: Sonic Unleashed?

Post by Esrever »

I think you're right about the 3/Knuckles split being part of the problem. After all, I know I was pretty disappointed by Sonic 3 when it first came out. I understand why many consider "Sonic 3 and Knuckles" to be the best of the series, but remember... when Sonic 3 came out it was a stand alone game, with no indication of a forthcoming "2nd half".

I remember beating Sonic 3 for the first time and thinking... "that's IT? Only six levels? No giant final boss? No cool ending cinema? What a rip-off!"

And of course, Sonic and Knuckles on its own was even shorter!

RocketPunch

Post by RocketPunch »

I'm slightly amused by the concept of new Sonic games retroactively tarnishing old Sonic games. It's like the whored-out chaos control gimmick blew up in Sonic Team's face and went horribly, horribly wrong.

I'm still iffy about the whole thing. Yeah, it looks close enough to the classic Sonic ideal compared to his most recent outings, but it's still a far cry from the original. And I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop with this werewolf thing. I'd like to be excited for this, but I know I won't be until I read the first positive review, if I ever do that.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Some Kotaku guy spews nonsense about an upcoming Sonic game, be it praise or disdain, for the wrong reasons... nothing really new there.

About the NeoGAF post; I can see only one alternative course to the "main" one. Not even Sonic 2 was that shallow, if I remember correctly (also lol Hydropolis).

It's pretty, both graphically and musically and I'm not saying it isn't, but I don't see any of that "classic Sonic gameplay" most professional sites are talking about.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

That's because the majority of "most professional sites" bang on about how Sonic has "always been about" the speed and that they hate having to slow down in the games.

Anyway, although I'd like to see slower platforming based gameplay as much as anyone else I appreciate why they have the speed focus. It's essentially the one defining feature of the Sonic franchise. They try to play up much as possible in each game as it's essentially the only thing that makes Sonic stand out on his own. I guess nowadays though due to the "professional sites" they also get the feeling that they don't even need slower platforming sections to balance things out as hot damn all "everyone" wants is speed!

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Crazy Penguin wrote:We can agree that the majority of the spin-offs and handheld games sucked but the main big console platformers were top notch until Chaotix and Sonic 3D killed the momentum.
Full stop here. Chaotix? Was completely awesome in my eyes. It felt awkward on emulators, but once I played it on a 32X it felt great. The rubber band mechanics are implemented perfectly and feel very natural after some time with the game, the graphics are also fantastic and the special stages are the best in the whole series. I agree that the random level selection and the repetitiveness of them (Botanic Base aside) was a bit unwelcome, but I still like this game lots.
And what, the handheld games sucked? Sonic 2, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Triple Trouble, Tails' Adventures? How did any of these suck?! Especially Sonic Chaos and STT can actually rival some of the MD games! I agree though that the GG's low-res screen made everything feel a little awkward, but fortunately there were Master System versions of most of the main games (except for STT, what a shame).

And heh, I prefer Sonic & Knuckles alone over Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and downright not like Sonic 3 at all, except for Hydro City Zone (and the bgm of ICZ and the credits).

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

I've played Sonic & Knuckles by itself maybe 5 times in my life. It feels so empty and bare without Sonic 3, and the lack of a save feature is a pain in the ass for me (much like it was in Sonic 2). Plus you need both games to explore all the fun stuff to do in debug mode between both Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

James McGeachie wrote:That's because the majority of "most professional sites" bang on about how Sonic has "always been about" the speed and that they hate having to slow down in the games.

Anyway, although I'd like to see slower platforming based gameplay as much as anyone else I appreciate why they have the speed focus. It's essentially the one defining feature of the Sonic franchise. They try to play up much as possible in each game as it's essentially the only thing that makes Sonic stand out on his own. I guess nowadays though due to the "professional sites" they also get the feeling that they don't even need slower platforming sections to balance things out as hot damn all "everyone" wants is speed!
Don't forget about the "rolling ball" momentum and attacking method. How come nobody remembers that?

Neo

Post by Neo »

What about the loop-de-loops? The corkscrews, giant rotating nets and other stage gimmicks? The underwater mechanics? The groundbreaking 3D perspective special stages? The awesome character design and their personalities, conveyed only through in-game cutscenes? The pinball table stages? The great grpahics, music, and stage design?

Sonic isn't (wasn't) awesome just because of a few select things, but due to a whole lot of things at the same time. I hate when somebody tries to point out "what Sonic is about", because you just can't do that. It's too much stuff to narrow down to just a couple of words.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Chaotix and Sonic 3D killed the momentum
I'm sure so few people owned Chaotix that regardless of how anyone personally feels about it that anything it did to kill Sonic's rep was pretty minimal. Sonic 3D Blast also was obviously not a proper Sonic title in anyone's eyes, it's more like Mario RPG or something, except everyone loves Mario RPG. Sonic was done in by being on a losing console, and then by being shitty.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Neo wrote:What about the loop-de-loops? The corkscrews, giant rotating nets and other stage gimmicks? The underwater mechanics? The groundbreaking 3D perspective special stages? The awesome character design and their personalities, conveyed only through in-game cutscenes? The pinball table stages? The great grpahics, music, and stage design?

Sonic isn't (wasn't) awesome just because of a few select things, but due to a whole lot of things at the same time. I hate when somebody tries to point out "what Sonic is about", because you just can't do that. It's too much stuff to narrow down to just a couple of words.
This only makes it even more grating when people say "Sonic is about speed", because while the character may employ speed as his personal gimmick, the game is about all those things you just mentioned. Are they seriously unable to distinguish between a character's main draw and the mechanics his respective game is known for?

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Don't diss my Chaotix! >_<

No but playing classic Sonic games a while back, Sonic wasn't all about speed, it had speedy parts but it was mostly solid platforming and clever design.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I'm liking this quite a bit. It's not the classic Sonic that we've been hoping and begging for, but it is Sonic Rush/Secret Rings style gameplay done right. I've been fans of both games, even if neither one ever felt like true Sonic games. They've both felt like spin-offs compared to Sonic Adventure and the Mega Drive games. I would like to see an other Sonic Adventure-style 3D game done right as well as true, official sequels to the 2D classics, but my hopes are fading and I'm starting to think that we might have to settle for Sonic being this lesser style platformer. Sonic seems to fill some kind of gap in the market as a "speed platformer."

People get so confused when I try to explain to them the differences between classic Sonic and Rush-style Sonic, it doesn't really surprise me that the gaming press continues to accept them as one in the same. Or maybe I'm getting cause and effect mixed up here.

I think my biggest worry with this is how the Wii/PS2 versions will play. I might just have to upgrade to PS360 (and wouldn't mind since it's about time I do that...) if I hear bad things about the other version.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Here are some kind of fuzzy, washed-out scans of some tiny screenshots of the Wii version that appear in the upcoming Nintendo Power:

The scanner included some shots of the 360 version for comparison -- a comparison that comes across even more unfavourable than usual thanks to quality of the scans. Just squint and try to imagine what the Wii version would look like if it was less blurry and had proper colour correction.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

The if the Wii version has a sort of SA2 vibe it will win me over, it looks interesting.

Oh and I just love the robot design in this game, its the werewolf man..the werewolf gives this game the bad taste, take it out and it feels decent! I just hope it ain't Sonic 360 or Secret Rings.

Neo

Post by Neo »

That "SA2 vibe" is the lack of lighting on Sonic. And it already sucked back then.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Well, also level design and texture wise.

CM August

Post by CM August »

Those robot designs are lame, but still light years better than Egg Pawns.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

I get an awful sense of foreboding from that first screen. I'm pretty sure he's about to dash into that robot and lose all his rings. I wonder if that's poor level design again or what?

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

It looks sort of like he just did an attack that sent it flying back, and he's in the post-hit drop to the ground.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Dasher wrote:The if the Wii version has a sort of SA2 vibe it will win me over, it looks interesting.
I read that as
lol, Wii games have Dreamcast graphics.
I personally find the new robot designs quite ugly. They are an improvement over the eggpawns, no doubt. But Sonic 06 for example had much sleeker designs.
Still, I wish they'd just bring back the animal-alike bots. Especially the day Caterkiller/Nal returns will be a happy one for me!

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Practically anything has got to be better than these trash can badniks who are purpose-built to stand still in the way and die.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Esrever wrote:Here are some kind of fuzzy, washed-out scans of some tiny screenshots of the Wii version that appear in the upcoming Nintendo Power:

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w156 ... icWii2.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w156 ... icWii1.jpg

The scanner included some shots of the 360 version for comparison -- a comparison that comes across even more unfavourable than usual thanks to quality of the scans. Just squint and try to imagine what the Wii version would look like if it was less blurry and had proper colour correction.
...and?

To be honest, I don't really think it looks all THAT terrible. I mean, so the Wii has lesser graphics. Big fat hairy deal. As long as the mechanics and gameplay are at least FAIRLY competent, I really don't care at this point. (See: MegaMan 9)

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

I hope for it to have competent controls from the get-go.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Don't forget that the level design is going to be completely different. That's my biggest worry after the controls.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

Full Scan, someone please mirror.

I think you guys are going to get a kick out of how much PR this guy spews, including introducing Sonic Rush features as "new".