Sonic Unleashed?

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Majestic Joey

Re: Sonic Unleashed?

Post by Majestic Joey »

P.P.A. wrote:My prediction is that in the obligatory Last Story, Weresonic will go totally insane (possibly fight against Knuckles or Shadow), which then causes Dr. Robotnik to activate a device that splits Weresonic and normal Sonic. Weresonic grabs the Chaos Emeralds Sonic collected so nicely throughout the game and transforms into that dragon beast thing from the screenshots. Then Sonic goes Super and they battle in space while the game's theme song plays. So unoriginal I bet it will happen. :(
Yeah, that sounds about right.

It's going to be tight!

PSMad

Post by PSMad »

"In addition to this classic Sonic gaming experience, when darkness sets in Sonic Unleashed players will be able to experience a completely new way to play as Sonic... making this his most exciting adventure yet!"
Sounds like confirmation of Werewolf Sonic to me. The trailer has a bit more gameplay to it and just looks stunning. Hopefully the distraction of the Werewolf bit's won't run the core gameplay. Who knows though, Were Sonic might actually turn out to be great... right? Right?

Meat

Post by Meat »

The press release, examined in detail.
LONDON & SAN FRANCISCO (April 3, 2008) - SEGA® of America and SEGA of Europe Ltd., today announced that everyone's favourite hedgehog will be breaking new ground yet maintaining his roots, in the upcoming title, Sonic Unleashed{TM}. 
Sega is taking a cue from Nintendo and innovating by returning Sonic to his roots. As they did in Sonic Heroes. And Sonic '06.
Developed by renowned studio Sonic Team,
I have two thoughts:

A)Sonic Team is renowned? Having "renown" implies praise. When exactly have they gotten praise lately?
B)This game is doomed.
the latest installment in the multi-million selling franchise,
Give us your money.
will take players on an unforgettable high-speed journey around the globe in a way never before experienced in the world of Sonic.
You won't be able to forget how we've screwed up this game! No matter how hard you try. 
The game is set for release later this year and will be available for the Xbox 360{TM} videogame and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, Wii{TM} home video game system from Nintendo and PLAYSTATION®2.

Sonic Unleashed is built on a powerful new "Hedgehog Engine",
We're creative.
which introduces seamless 3D to classic 2D camera transitions, whilst delivering a rich and expansive world with multiple paths to choose from.  Under development for three years,
Mostly by the head janitor
the Hedgehog Engine produces a visually rich next generation look and feel with elements of classic Sonic gameplay mechanics.  The Hedgehog engine will help re-define the gameplay experience for Sonic fans and newcomers to the franchise alike.
This is how Sonic games are. You WILL like it, DAMMIT!!!
"By combining rich and vibrant scenery with dynamic viewpoints Sonic Unleashed will provide an immersive 3D experience whilst keeping alive the 2D gameplay elements and fantastic worlds that Sonic fans know and love" commented Gary Knight, European Marketing Director for SEGA Europe.  "In addition to this classic Sonic gaming experience, when darkness sets in Sonic Unleashed players will be able to experience a completely new way to play as Sonic...
As said above, werewolf Sonic.
making this his most exciting adventure yet!"
Just barely topping the amazing Sonic '06.
Having been broken apart by the evil Dr Eggman,
And why exactly has he broken the world? I thought he wanted to rule it...?
it's down to Sonic to put the pieces of the world back together
like a puzzle
again by retrieving the power of the chaos emeralds.  In doing so, Sonic will find himself in a race against time and faced with an unusual situation that will challenge him in ways never before seen. 
except by fans of Jeckle and Hyde. Or the thousands of other knockoffs/homages to that story.
By completing a wide variety of action-packed stages, spanning the seven broken continents of the world, gamers will need to unleash Sonic's amazing abilities to save the world, and himself!

The opportunity to engage in Sonic in different ways during the day and night time levels brings a completely original way of playing to the Sonic franchise,
AKA (potentially) fun mode and boring mode.
in addition to running at high speeds in classic Sonic style, combat fighting will become possible. 
Because everyone plays Sonic for the brawling they find in other games.
Super quick Sonic's speed skills will be highlighted by four new modes,
Shades of the "XTREAME-SPEED!!!1!" stages in Sonic '06?
whilst the all new combat, movement and functional abilities will offer depth and variety to the game.
but will be forced upon players regardless.
  As the sun sets in Sonic Unleashed, a different type of adventure will awaken in Sonic's newest quest...

Sonic Unleashed is scheduled for release worldwide in late 2008. 
Regardless of how broken it is.
For screenshots and art, please visit the SEGA press site at http://www.sega-press.com.
Since everyone and their mother now knows of everything contained within the site (including passwords).
--------------
While I'm usually pretty pessimistic I had, until late November 2005, managed to maintain an optimistic attitude to future Sonic games. Then a friend rented Shadow the Hedgehog for the PS2 (he refused to buy it) and my dreams were crushed. I have no hope for this game.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Well, at least that explains why that leaked trailer seemed so gimpy and anemic... I guess it was just a rough cut. The final trailer is much more, you know... trailer-y (Trailer-esque?), with more cool gameplay bits and less static shots of empty, vacant fields. They also removed that hideous-looking HUD, which I really hope was only a placeholder.

I know this has been said plenty before, but... It really does look like a console version of Sonic Rush Adventure, doesn't it? (The music sounds straight out of SRA too!) I hope they don't muck it up.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

When Sega does a game for many videogame consoles, it tends to suck, I don’t see the point of a ps2 version, really, is like they want people to play the pirate version...

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Meat wrote:a TON of shit
You may think it's the height of hilarity to write a separate scathing commentary on each and every fucking sentence of the press release, but I beg to differ, and I'm awesome. I suggest consolidating your existing attempts at satire into one affordable monthly payment.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

If I'd known there'd be a proper press release with quotes this soon, I'd have made up some proper buzzword bingo cards.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

I suppose my only major complaint would be that it doesn't look anywhere near playable.

Sniffnoy

Post by Sniffnoy »

I'm surprised they actually had the patience to work on this for 3 years. Or is that about how long they usually spend? Of course, the "late 2008" date makes me worry...

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Esrever wrote:I know this has been said plenty before, but... It really does look like a console version of Sonic Rush Adventure, doesn't it? (The music sounds straight out of SRA too!) I hope they don't muck it up.
combat fighting
Honestly, with this knowledge what chance does it really have?

The most interesting thing about this announcement is that it came out of Sega Europe.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Radrappy wrote:I suppose my only major complaint would be that it doesn't look anywhere near playable.
My main concern. This game looks like either you have to memorize every cue point meticulously (with a real slim margin for error) or you just hold right and watch Sonic do cool shit.

I'm also not sure I like this Rush-gauge thing. It almost feels like these obstacles that made sense in the games as ways to control Sonic's unruly speed and strike balance in the gameplay are now given a quick and easy fix so you can dash to the goal ring with nary a flinch. Granted, they'll infuriate us with cheap deathtraps towards the end of the game, but I'll bet anyone would be able to sleepwalk through whatever the first level is. I'm liking the 3D stretches I see, but they're not played the way I'd want to play them. And I know. It's a free country. I can forego the dashing if I want. But we all know in order to get the A ranks to see the "true ending", I'll need to blast through those spike balls instead of dodging them agilely, like I would in the classics.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

The best bit of that "announcement" is that they consider Rush gameplay to be "classic Sonic gameplay".
Does anyone remember PoP: The Two Thrones' story? I'd add the kaiju and Eggman somewhere in the picture and sit and wait for the game to re-enact it. I'm even suspecting Sonic Team spent two and a half years of the game's development time just to come out with WereSonic.

To whoever put these shrooms in my slice: HAHA, PRETTY FUNNY YOU JERK!

EDIT: Whoa, american site!

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

I love cartoony-happy Sonic superimposed in front of the post-apocalyptic planet. It's like they learned how to better themselves, but not how to stop sucking.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

DackAttac wrote:And I know. It's a free country. I can forego the dashing if I want. But we all know in order to get the A ranks to see the "true ending", I'll need to blast through those spike balls instead of dodging them agilely, like I would in the classics.
No, because they're so kind they'll instead put a lot of places that're cheap/impossible to pass or will kill you without it. "Worked" in Rush.

What got me most about the release was that, allegedly "Sonic Team" (who knows these days with all the credit they work with PR to steal) has toiled oh-so-hard at this engine since 2005. Now, if that's true, how many other dozens of projects have they insisted on juggling in that time? Tell me if i'm missing any (that we know of): Sonic 06, Riders, Phantasy Star Universe, Fifth Phantom Saga until they at least postponed it, the Sonic Café series, Riders 2, PSU expansion pack, supervising the Rush games, making character models for Superstars Tennis...and whatever else they've got under the rug waiting to pop out right now. I call this an Atlas Complex.

How in the hell are they supposed to have found the time and manpower in those three years admist all of that to make this? Unless the merger allows "Sonic Team" to be a few regulars teamed up with whoever from wherever in the building, and/or we all massively underestimate the number of people in Sonic Team; or there has indeed been even worse rampant lying than we think about what Sonic Team does over there.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Also, weird how the supposed three years of development is a selling point in the official announcement. It's as if they've actually been reading criticism!

It's almost as bad as advertising improved collusion detection as a new gameplay feature for PSU AOI.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

FlashTHD wrote:Unless the merger allows "Sonic Team" to be a few regulars teamed up with whoever from wherever in the building, and/or we all massively underestimate the number of people in Sonic Team
You mean that's not what Sonic Team has been since Sonic Adventure?

Seriously, for the longest time I was under the impression that all you need to do to earn the Sonic Team stamp and credit was to have Yuji Naka involved in some way, even if all he does is come in, nod at some of your ideas, then go back to his Ferrari masturbation. Now that he's off pretending he has his own company... really, who IS Sonic Team now, anyway?

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

The hedgehog engine just does not sound as cool as blast processing.

This game reminds me of Nights in a way. It has interesting levels and it does the whole switch from 2d to 3d thing. and sonic team (whoever the hell sonic team is now) has been working on this game for 3 years? I don't know so far to me this game looks pretty good.

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

Black Rook wrote:
FlashTHD wrote:really, who IS Sonic Team now, anyway?
Sonic Team is Dead.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Pretty much died on 2001, around that era.

Question, remember SA2 for the Dreamcast? well what was the deal with all the PSO cameos? did part of Sonic Team left to make PSO games instead of Sonic games? If you play PSO or the PSU games you notice they are of good caliber and that they are good games. Could that be a reason? that we are stuck with the lamest workers of Sonic Team while all the cool workers are working on Phantasy games and other projects? You know the devteam and all that junk, Not to mention Yuji Naka and Prope.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

Leaked Final chapter images:

CRITICAL HIT!

final 1

final 3

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

I understand Shadow, but Silver being around lately makes no sense.

But hey! we are talking about the same people who turned Knuckles into crap.

Nice comic BTW.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Dasher wrote:I understand Shadow, but Silver being around lately makes no sense.
Sounds like SOMEbody needs to brush up on their werewolf mythology.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

I don't get it, what are you trying to say?

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Dasher wrote:I don't get it, what are you trying to say?
Silver bullets kill werewolves, genius.

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

You don't suppose he's developed sarcasm, though, do you? It'd be impossible to tell, after all.