Sonic Unleashed?

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Zeta

Re: Sonic Unleashed?

Post by Zeta »

Allow me to script out this forthcoming plot:

Super Sonic: I'm here to stop your latest evil generic plan!
Eggman: HAHA! I have you now Sonic! You fell into my trap! The evil Negatron 1000!
Super Sonic: Oh noes!
Eggman: HAHA! This machine will reverse the polarity of the Chaos Emeralds, causing your Super form to become NEGASONIC! THE SUPER AWESOME WOLVERINE WEREWOLF BADASS that will become unleashed whenever you become angry as indicated by the "BESTIAL RAGE" meter!!
Negasonic: Oh noes! KILL!
Eggman: You will be consumed by your evil form and eat all your little friends unless you recover the cure which I have seperated into seven parts and scattered across various locations.
Negasonic: KILL! KILL!

**7 Stages Later along with some cheap cameos by supporting cast members and maybe a fight with Knuckles or Shadow**

Sonic: Now I have mastered both sides of the Chaos Emeralds! Witness my true power! *splits into flying invincible Super Sonic and Nega Sonic at the same time.
Eggman:WTF!?! HAX! *dies*
Giant Kaiju #3: I was Negasonic all along! Just manipulating Eggman!
Eggman: Save me Sonic! YET AGAIN!
Super Sonic: Now I'll show you the power of a true heart!
Giant Kaiju #3:NOES! *dies*
Meaning if it's Wildfire, then it'll suck.
No you suck.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Zeta wrote:
Meaning if it's Wildfire, then it'll suck.
No you suck.
"You SUCK! Look at the time!"

"What am I, Superman?"

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Wait, can I get money from Sega if his name actually IS Nega Sonic?

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

I just remembered this but Sumo Digital mentioned that Sonic Team actually provided the Sonic model for Superstars tennis. COULD IT BE THAT THIS IS THE SAME MODEL??!!!

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Ah so Were-Sonic ending up being the trap or at least part of it. XD
Radrappy wrote:Fuck you sega. Fuck you. Am I not even allowed to be optimistic for FOUR HOURS before it all comes crashing down with a concept so terrible that it rivals Shadow the hedgehog for worst idea ever?
Nah, I think it's better this way. It's better to air out some of the more terrible shit as soon as possible so the crushing blow at E3 won't be as huge as with was with Sonic 06 full reveal.

Also, I'm thinking this would be a PS360Wii release, though these shots are from the PS360 version. The Wii version would probably be downgraded some.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Dasher wrote:Uh oh, Sonic...Unleashed?? sounds familiar...like an ugly rumor I heard in the past.
You see!? I KNEW IT!! >_>

I knew this game existed looooong ago any news started popping up, it was an old rumor I heard of Sonic becoming a beast.

It went like this;
Oh! SEGA is making a game about Sonic and theyre trying to make him cool again and this time he turns into a werewolf thing.
MAN! you guys better listen to rumors, NIGHTMARES DO COME TRUE.

On the good side, Sonic game looks kinda classic, his character model looks good, Eggman looks like a menace "lets hope he stays that way till the end which he wont because we see an iblisChaosBiolizardblackdoom monster in one screenshot"
Last edited by Dasher on Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Wildfire's controls weren't top-notch, but they were manageable, they got better the further you progressed and the overall spirit of the game was closer to Sonic's original attitude and appeal from the 2D games than any of the 3D titles that came before it. The debate over whether or not the game was a gem buried in a heap of elephant dung or just another piece of corn will likely never reach an agreeable conclusion, but with the baggage the series is carrying, I have my doubts that a game could be made that all of us would agree on to be a great 3D Sonic game. The best that could be done is maybe about 60% liking it. Unless, of course, there was a red flag, like someone else developing it.

This Unleashed thing is incredibly confounding, though. I honestly thought they were aware that Sonic sells much better on the Wii than on PS3. Especially since Sega/Sammy's CEO or whatever made that comment about how Sonic stops being cool at age 12 and anything older isn't a target audience worth chasing. So why gun for the console known for its T- & M-rated first person shooters and a pricey Blu-Ray player?

It was slightly more concerting when I knew exactly the mentality Sega had that was causing them to mismanage Sonic. Now it just seems they're mismanaging him without reason.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

So why gun for the console known for its T- & M-rated first person shooters and a pricey Blu-Ray player?
Because motherfuckin' NegaSonic is fucking hardcore and every 16-20 year old will realize how extremely fucking awesome he is and make Sonic "edgy" and hip again!

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Man...I am still in shock, I cannot believe the shitty rumor was true, its like they have the power to make a good Sonic game but in the last minute someone suggests a shitty idea and they go along with it. Who's making the game anyway? America or Japan?

And I HATE the Mr. Hide concept, its stupid and over used specially in America and UK.
Why didn't they used him instead? WHY SEGA WHY!!!??? It was a cooler idea.

Man, I don't know, I hope this game comes to the PS3 only. The Sonic model and stuff looks good, but the levels although beautiful look kinda simple and odd I don't know.
Last edited by Dasher on Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

And I HATE the Mr. Hide concept, its stupid and over used specially in America and UK
But it's so original!

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... edEvilSide
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuperMode
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LimitBreak

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

I didn't really meant the evil ego personality thing although thats also overused, What I ment was an ugly non-appealing monster instead of a cool looking evil form like Dark Sonic from Sonic X . This WereSonic reminds me of this, although it is a completely different situation. :razz:
Attachments
neonmickey.jpg
neonmickey.jpg (81.71 KiB) Viewed 12945 times
Last edited by Dasher on Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Now that's actually fucking scary.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Never have I ever been so torn over a game. I mean, on one hand, it looks terrible, what with the all the absurdly low-poly, repetitively-placed geometry, and a bland art direction in general, but on the other hand, sometimes it doesn't. On another hand, it seems that Sonic Team's finally taken all of our bitching about the level design to heart- the levels are massive, there are plenty of alternate paths abound, and there isn't a single bottomless pit in sight. But on yet another of Shiva's many hands, the environments seem completely inappropriate for a Sonic game; most all of the paths are far too narrow, there's hardly any variation, and now that we're getting more than highways suspended above bottomless pits, the level design just seems that much more bland, and pretty unremarkable amongst the likes of all the other subpar platformers we've been getting over the years. Like Ty the Tasmanian Tiger. That's really bad.

But then there's the werewolf, which completely invalidates all of the positive qualities this game might've entailed. I'm dead serious about this- this is the most retarded gimmick I have ever seen in any video game, ever. Remember that one Crash Bandicoot game from way back? You know, the one where Crash and Cortex, apparently out for a game of slap & tickle behind the scenes, confused the lube for a bottle of wacky glue and wound up conjoined at the ass or whatever the fuck? And then they had to work together to solve puzzles in a totally hilarious manner? This gimmick is worse. We don't even know how it works yet, but nothing good could possibly come of it. Dear lord.

And then there's the fact that it's physically impossible for Sonic Team to create good games now, no exceptions. Y'know, it's been over 7 years since anything decent ever came out of them, and the games only grow progressively worse with each subsequent release. Yet, they manage to draw our interest every single time! But not this time. Not this time, Sega. I mean, I was at least able to view Sonic '06 without pessimism at the time of it's unveiling.

This is it. This is the Big One. There's no coming back for the series after this, after Werewolf Sonic.
Last edited by Ritz on Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Only one miracle could save it.

That It gets canceled.

Man...but really, Think about it...All the recent games have started with positive things backing them up but they always come conjoined with a bad idea. I mean look at the picture below, Its like they almost pull it off but fail miserably.
Attachments
OPA013editcur0031f.jpg
OPA013editcur0031f.jpg (153.15 KiB) Viewed 12887 times
Last edited by Dasher on Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Wait, sorry, this is just such a flood of information. Is this confirmed for PS3 or did we assume that on the graphics?

Quite frankly, these levels look great. Everything outside of them looks retarded, but if the levels work, I'll forgive Weresonic. That is, if he just stays a plot device and we don't have to play as him. Then we're talking some damage.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

We don't even know how it works yet, but nothing good could possibly come of it. Dear lord.
That is, if he just stays a plot device and we don't have to play as him. Then we're talking some damage.
The world is, from the same sources that revealed him in the first place, that Nega Sonic works as such:

* You become him in pre-scripted scenes.
* Traditional Sonic gameplay ends and Devil May Cry-ripoff hack and slash Gameplay starts.
* You can't move back to the regular gameplay until all the enemies are cleared from the screen.

So, no, it's going to totally ruin the game.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

It looked cool until that werewolf thing. Ugh.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Zeta where did you get that? Not Dreadknux I hope?
At various points he will change into his werewolf form, at which point a gameplay gimmick will come into play - something we've been told isn't exactly in keeping with trying to make a Sonic game... well... let us say, 'good'. We have our suspicions.

The blue hog won't be alone on his adventure either, as another new character that will probably be dispensed of in ten minutes will make a no-doubt unwelcome and unnecessary appearance. Just who or what this character will be is unknown as of yet.
He makes zero effort to make these two paragraphs sound believeable; you could take any rambling message board post, crudely wipe off some of the grunge and it'd be this presentable.

Edit: It'd suprise me if Werewolf Sonic weren't playable, and Dread has probably gotten this info from someplace reliable; what i'm saying is this is tantamount to stepping in front of the pitchfork-and-torch carriers and screaming "REVOLUTION".
Last edited by FlashTHD on Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

Now that I've thought about it, is the werewolf really that big of a deal?

So far Sonic has been these:

- A DBZ Super Sayin
- An antromorphic Racecar
- Now a Werewolf

Is it really any more retarded than those two?

The levels do look bland like Ritz describes, while some being highly detailed. It's hard to really get a full understanding of the game. You also have to note that they have added "2.5D" gameplay on a 'big' Sonic next-gen title. This is certainly a huge step forward, isn't it? Sonic looks like his old self as well, as does Robotnik. Sure it could all turn into a shitestorm like usual, but I honestly think this is the closest they've been in awhile with the limited screenshots we've seen. Basically I mean it has the most potential of a game made after Sonic Adenture.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

*An antromorphic Racecar
When did this happen?
Now that I've thought about it, is the werewolf really that big of a deal?
My problem is not Sonic transformations. Hell, I think Sonic Transformations ala Mario or Megaman would be really awesome and add a lot to gameplay if they were handled right - Aqua Sonic, Sky Sonic, Train Sonic, Drill Sonic, Sub-Sonic etc. That sort of thing. Relating to you know - high speed mobility, the whole point of the character.

But an evil bestial side has been beaten into the ground by every other science fiction and fantasy franchise in the history of the main kind AND it doesn't fit Sonic. Those things are supposed to be reserved for quiet characters with rage and unresolved issues under the surface like Bruce Banner or Mr. Hyde or Brittney Spears. It doesn't fit with Sonic, who is a hyper-active blue optimist. It's like giving fucking Sauron a power up that turns him into a good-natured kitten-petter.
Zeta where did you get that? Not Dreadknux I hope?
That may be the source, yes.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

I don't mean I want it there, I'd rather he never turned into anything. I just don't think it's as gamebreaking as it appears. It's just weird.

In Sonic and the Secret Rings, Sonic turns into a racecarish Sonic to fight a genie. Personally I think that's fairly queer. Either way, I'd rather werewolf Sonic than Shadow fighting aliens with a machine gun on a motorcycle in space.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Kogen you are right sir,

I had forgotten about race car Sonic, I mean what the heck?...still, this is the ugliest form yet. I bet its the same team as Secret Rings. They are starting to love making "fun" of Sonic, I'm just sad that they think Sonic is limited and they have to "spice" things up for him to get attention. :/ They don't get what made Sonic tick anymore, just gimmicks its all gimmicks now. We lost Oshima, that level designer and now Naka, we shouldn't expect much out of Sonic anymore specially with Iizuka in charge now.

All they need is the right direction, they have the power to make it (maybe) but not the right direction, just look at this screen shot. It reminds me of the Sega Saturn era.
Attachments
unleashedlb7.jpg
unleashedlb7.jpg (47.05 KiB) Viewed 12797 times

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

In Sonic and the Secret Rings, Sonic turns into a racecarish Sonic to fight a genie. Personally I think that's fairly queer.
I thought he was some crummy attempt to imply a Djinn/Hedgehog hybrid.
They are starting to love making "fun" of Sonic,
No, their problem is actually that they take Sonic TOO fucking seriously.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

They already did Phantom Hourglass with Sonic Rush Adventure (a surprisingly good game), but isn't a bit late to be doing Twilight Princess?

I tried playing Sonic and the Secret Rings a few months ago and it was barely functional. The challange of a game shouldn't come from trying to make your character move and jump the way you want it to. I hope this isn't more of the same.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Dasher wrote:I bet its the same team as Secret Rings. They are starting to love making "fun" of Sonic, I'm just sad that they think Sonic is limited and they have to "spice" things up for him to get attention. :/
As opposed to the other team, who gave Shadow his own game and a gun? Who bought the Half-Life engine for Silver and gutted it of its functionality? Even with leveling up and "learning" moves, and needing skill sets, Secret Rings was far more stripped down to the core Sonic gameplay basics than anything else that's come out, I'm sorry.