Sonic Unleashed?

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Re: Sonic Unleashed?

Post by Ngangbius »

People are cautious because this could be made by Sonic Team and they are not known for their stellar track record as of late.

I mean, I saw the video too and while it looks good, there is no hands on impression if it plays well or not. Having 2D segments isn't really a automatic indicator of quality.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

The catch is, I don't care if it's 2D or 3D, as long as its execution sucks it'll still be a bad game.
Rush may have been saved by Blaze and Naganuma's soundtrack, but this kind of shit won't work on next-gen consoles.

Whatever, those were some nice two to three hours, at least for me.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

I know the game isn't comfirmed quaity, but to judge the best looking Sonic game made since 1994 as shite from some beta footage is ridiculous(who even said Sonic Team is making it?).

I just won't bother with replying here anymore. You're all(well most) being nerds who expect way too much from simple video games; I don't even understand why you'd be at a Sonic forum. I'll just go play fun SEGA games while you sit and moan about crap without even playing them.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Kogen wrote:the best looking Sonic game made since 1994
Huh?

If you read carefully, I didn't start bitching about it until they posted the vid.
The graphical style may be "nice" (it's not even original or cool), but it just looks like some Rivals/ Rush/ Secret Rings amalgamation when set in motion, which definitely is "NOT GOOD" by my not-so-extravagant gaming standards.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

LOL should we be considered EMO then?

Nah, the problem is that SEGA lost all people who knew how to make a good Sonic game, or a "traditional" Sonic game that being the last SA1 or SA2.

Oshima left, thats about it...think about it, he drew it, he knew him...hes gone. So really, this Sonic that we are seeing is just a lab rat with the name sonic planted on his face and puppet masters controlling his actions which in this case are the games.

The Sonic we knew is dead, face it...the creator left without leaving a son or apprentice to handle him so now we get NEW Sonic, who is handled by people who see his past success try to copy some of it but still want to change it like Hollywood directors.

Simple, good gameplay is key, if it has it it will be decent, if not it will suck because the story is crap, atleast SA2 while it gameplay was to some not that good it had a nice story that puts all the shitty newer games to shame and vice versa if you liked the gameplay but not the story that much but both where atleast 70% good... Now both are like 40% each which leaves you saying what a bunch of bull.

Yes, we play Sonic games and see how well they managed Sonic, and we just get sad that we are not working at SEGA really. atleast many of us could be the next Oshima if we had the chance to be...and I'm working on it. :/
Last edited by Dasher on Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Ngangbius wrote:People are cautious because this could be made by Sonic Team and they are not known for their stellar track record as of late.

I mean, I saw the video too and while it looks good, there is no hands on impression if it plays well or not. Having 2D segments isn't really a automatic indicator of quality.
What she said.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

Kogen wrote:I just won't bother with replying here anymore. You're all(well most) being nerds who expect way too much from simple video games; I don't even understand why you'd be at a Sonic forum. I'll just go play fun SEGA games while you sit and moan about crap without even playing them.
Contrary to popular belief, many members of this forum do play and discuss games that are not Sonic or even made by Sega.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Funny how someone here once said the best new Sonic game will be BRAWL.

TIS TRUE.

Never had so much fun with the good ol hedgehog since....
Last edited by Dasher on Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Yeah, I heard about this really shitty PSP game, Patapon. I mean, no hookers or blow, what's up with that?

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

I watched the video. It didn't look bad, but only really saw five seconds of what looked like gameplay. The rest looked like dash-panel-laden sit-back-and-watch-the-automated-parts-of-this-level-show-you-how-cool-Sonic-is-instead-of-doing-cool-things-with-him sequences that SA1 used as segues. I suppose they are now composing the majority of levels out of them?

PS -
Kogen wrote:I know the game isn't comfirmed quaity, but to judge the best looking Sonic game made since 1994 as shite from some beta footage is ridiculous(who even said Sonic Team is making it?).

I just won't bother with replying here anymore. You're all(well most) being nerds who expect way too much from simple video games; I don't even understand why you'd be at a Sonic forum. I'll just go play fun SEGA games while you sit and moan about crap without even playing them.
Here's a better idea - wait until the game comes out, and if you're right and everyone is wrong, and all of the sudden either Sonic Team has outsourced the game out of nowhere or become able to craft a decent game out of nowhere, you can come back and say "I told you so" and we'll be all like, "whoops, my bad". Or, more realistically, you'll choke down a mediocre game just to do so. Or, alternatively, you'll enjoy a surprise decent game while the rest of the people who were rightfully skeptic see you as the boy who cried wolf and don't believe you.

And that's why pre-game footage is not only bad for making concrete judgments, but also the dumbest thing to start an online slap-fight over, period.

I'll laugh my ass off if this shit gets locked and the news becomes homeless.
Last edited by DackAttac on Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Well, looking at the pics again, atleast they got something right, the looks.

It looks fantastic in my opinion, neither too horribly deformed (Heroes) or too real (Sonic360) They got the look I hoped for, it reminds me of the Sonic from brawl who then reminds me of classic Sonic...in fact the Sonic in unleashed looks even more like classic Sonic! but will he act like him? God I need the old tornado back, so many elements they dropped out of Sonic! thats the thing! its like if Mario replaced the goombas and Koopas with other some shit that sucks and Bowser would always play second fiddle to a giant lizard thing from beyond earthly understanding.

The CGI movie for this game look fantastic, however the levels while good lighting and feel, look bland and un-sonic like...But maybe I'm being too optimistic.

Well, I told you one of the reasons why Sonic games suck now and thats about it, nothing to hope for...it is a different Sonic just like it is different times the year 2008 that sucks all! I blame Sonic's downfall on Bush! 911 was an inside job!

Look at that face! I just hope this game is comedy, I just hope it is...we all need a good laugh.
Attachments
Eggman found my weakness!! Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!
Eggman found my weakness!! Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!
dgfdgwfgwgwfdg.jpg (96.41 KiB) Viewed 13497 times
Last edited by Dasher on Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Outside of the plot, I haven't seen anything terribly objectionable. I just haven't seen a lot. It's really frustrating, because there's both a lot of interesting material, a lot of worrisome material, and a lot of reason to fear that the problems are just the tip of the iceberg (especially since Sonic Team's new favorite thing to botch is the control scheme).

You know, I almost feel like the werehog and the opening sci-fi lookin' CG movie with the giant monster aren't even part of the same game as these levels. (Which would kick ass but let's be serious.)

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

That would be funny, if it was from another game.

But yeah, its the detail in them! It looks like Japan will handle the CGI and America the Gameplay on this one dunno.

I smell the Sonic Rush team behind it, the Sonic Rush team have started to make Sonic surreal, we got alt-dimensions, Pirates, Genies and now Were-wolves. So...dunno, I just hope the game play is decent...but, it looks like it will be sonic Rivals 3 which is not good.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

This game looks like Sonic and the Secret Rings and Sonic Rush combined, so I'll be really pissed off if it's not ported over to the Wii as well considering.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Sonic is based on a basic formula speed-exploration-speed...repeat, If this game is all straight forward like Secret Rings I might not like it.

I hate that game to bits, THE CONTROLS!! >_<

People who say Sonic is all about speed should be slapped so hard until they see the Sonic 1 cartridge in the afterlife and hear SEGAAAAA!!!

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Please make sure you've read the following, which I am "quoting for truth".
James McGeachie wrote:The funny thing is with Rings that it's entirely a design decision to have those bad controls. You literally earn better controls as you play. No I don't just mean slightly upgraded moves, I mean literally better controls. The powerups are things such as faster and smoother steering, abilities that create far more flow to jumping, landing, braking and moving backwards, faster acceleration to stop the painful build up at the beginning, etc.

It's no exaggeration with Rings to say it plays like an entirely different game when you actually have a lot of the upgraded settings on but this isn't really me defending the game to be honest because it was a RETARDED design decision on Sega's part to make the initial experience incredibly flawed as it's obviously put many people off the game right from the get go because plain and simply at the beginning it's not fun.
Dasher wrote:I smell the Sonic Rush team behind it, the Sonic Rush team have started to make Sonic surreal, we got alt-dimensions, Pirates, Genies and now Were-wolves. So...dunno, I just hope the game play is decent...but, it looks like it will be sonic Rivals 3 which is not good.
Sonic Rush Team? You mean Dimps? And you included Genies in that list, do you know something about Wildfire I don't?

Personally, I feel the telling flaw (or rather, the flaw of not telling much) is that the camera seems to be operating on its own accord. Is it going to be planted at a side-profile view à la Rivals, or will they plant it behind Sonic as usual once the development's there? I mean, honestly, this bastard keeps getting pulled, it's obviously not meant for our eyes as consumers making judgments; God knows what its usage was intended for.

Zeta - I'll ask again, are we basing our PS3 consensus on anything but the graphics or third party sources talking about the graphics?

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

http://www.sega-magazin.de/segaon/

This site(where the video first appeared) indicates that this is possibly a PS3/360/Wii multiplatform game:

Google translation:
Thanks to reliable sources, we can be one of the first Web sites worldwide confirm that the present Sonic Unleashed Screens are authentic, as well as the following artwork here. We will SEGA ON blog on the whole night update.

UUPDATE 1: These screens have a native resolution of 1880 x 1024. This is about 1080p and definitely not Wii. However, everything a multi-platform release out: Both the PLAY Magazine and the official Nintendo magazine (ONM) Unleashed to Cover Story. We post more screens.

Thanks to sources we can rely on we can confirm as one of the first SEGA news sites in the web that the Sonic Unleashed images at hand as well as the following artwork are indeed official material. Thanks to sources we can rely on we can confirm as one of the first SEGA news sites in the web that the Sonic Unleashed images at hand as well as the following artwork are indeed official material. We’ll be constantly updating the SEGA ON Blog site throughout the night. We'll be constantly updating the SEGA ON blog site throughout the night.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Zeta - I'll ask again, are we basing our PS3 consensus on anything but the graphics or third party sources talking about the graphics?
All on graphics. Most people believe that while the Wii might be capable of those graphics with enough fine-tuning and care, Sonic Team certainly wouldn't be the one of all people to actually get that high performance out of the system . . .

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

DackAttac wrote:I watched the video. It didn't look bad, but only really saw five seconds of what looked like gameplay. The rest looked like dash-panel-laden sit-back-and-watch-the-automated-parts-of-this-level-show-you-how-cool-Sonic-is-instead-of-doing-cool-things-with-him sequences that SA1 used as segues. I suppose they are now composing the majority of levels out of them?
Really! I got to see 2/3rds of it and kept wondering how much better it'd be if there were less obviously scripted areas and the camera stopped swinging around or zooming in too close for comfort. The environments turn out to be drier in motion than stills, but that's nothing; I can't get over how level paths stick out in sight. Would it hurt to design levels whose architechure makes just enough sense that you don't really think about it? It is possible in 2.5D - Mega Man X8 is the best example I can think of but it's a good one.

It felt kind of fun to watch, but i'd guess a fat lot of that enjoyment came, once again, from the music. This is getting seriously aggravating to see the BGM continue to improve while slapped into games that would do a lot worse without it. It's looking very much like Rush 3 under an alias and with Wildfire mechanics shoehorned in. Which, hell...is basically my worst-case scenario or close to it - both series mashing into one and/or the main series adopting their biggest gimmicks permanently.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Well, my only complaint now is wondering if Weresonic will ruin the game somehow. A mashup between Rush and Secret Rings is pretty much all I could ask for.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

A 2D Sonic with 3D graphics is a neat idea, but with the camera whipping all over the place like that it seems pretty unplayable to me. Eesh!

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Good morning, happy Easter.
So I just watched the video (and its extremely shitty music) and am a bit unsure about what to think. While the thought of a console 2.5D Sonic appeals to me (even though I haven't played Rush or Rivals yet), what bothers me that Sonic never slows down in this video. Call me crazy, but I like my Sonic games rather slow (with the OPTION to go fast). What I see here are springs, boost pads, and some weird dashing move. No thanks, I already didn't really like Sonic Advance 2. In my opinion, Sonic games should be slower paced but give skilled players the ability to go fast if wanted - Sonic CD basically. If I want to see Sonic running and bouncing around without my doing, I could just as well watch the OVA that at least has a good plot and looks appealing.

Also I'm not sure if I mentioned this in this forum before, but I really liked Sonic 06. I know it was completely unfinished, the loading times were insultingly long and the adventure fields incredibly lame and boring, but the levels were that well designed, both in terms of layout (ok, there were bottomless pits everywhere but still) and also aesthetically and musically that I didn't mind all the glitches and bugs. And once you get used to their twisted controls, even the buggy machspeed segments are a lot of fun! Although the highlight of the game were definitely all the alternate routes and small shortcuts, but even moreso the platforming segments for me. Hopping from place to place with the ultra-precise mid-air controls was great and it's nice to see Sonic can do something else than running through scripted loops at high-speed.
So yeah, I was eagerly hoping for this to be a S06 sequel, with even better level design and this time actually fully finished. So as you can tell, I'm not exactly happy about the outcome.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

The video looked OK I guess. They must have caved in at last and decided to do a 2.5D Sonic game for home consoles. However, I'm still not getting my hopes up. Weresonic is still a retarded idea and I'm very confused about how it's supposed to fit in unless the game goes from being light hearted one moment to being incredibly dark and angsty the next.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

So I've slept on it, watched the video again. It still looks like a whole heap of fun. So did Heroes, and the PS3/360 game and the Riders games, and Secret Rings. Even Sonic Adventure 2 was an overall good but still disappointing game. I'd be very excited about this game if it wasn't for the terrible track record the series has had this decade.

And yeah, Were-Sonic.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

P.P.A. wrote:Good morning, happy Easter.
So I just watched the video (and its extremely shitty music) and am a bit unsure about what to think. While the thought of a console 2.5D Sonic appeals to me (even though I haven't played Rush or Rivals yet), what bothers me that Sonic never slows down in this video. Call me crazy, but I like my Sonic games rather slow (with the OPTION to go fast). What I see here are springs, boost pads, and some weird dashing move. No thanks, I already didn't really like Sonic Advance 2. In my opinion, Sonic games should be slower paced but give skilled players the ability to go fast if wanted - Sonic CD basically. If I want to see Sonic running and bouncing around without my doing, I could just as well watch the OVA that at least has a good plot and looks appealing.
This was my major issue with the video too. He was sliding along the level over holes and pits so fast and slippery that I had barely even any time to register what the layout was like. It sure looks like the game features a sonic that can't stop ala Secret Rings but I sure hope not.
Gaz wrote:The video looked OK I guess. They must have caved in at last and decided to do a 2.5D Sonic game for home consoles. However, I'm still not getting my hopes up. Weresonic is still a retarded idea and I'm very confused about how it's supposed to fit in unless the game goes from being light hearted one moment to being incredibly dark and angsty the next.
Well, that could all be easily done if they incorporated a day segment and a night segment for each level. Which is all too likely. Don't quote me on this but there's a rumor that werehog was almost frankenhog according to some dude that was in a focus group.

Also SegaON, some german mag has received this press sheet

"Sonic the Hedgehog returns for a full-blown, action-packed adventure through the desolate and unpredictable World of Mubuz, a world dictated by an evil Dragon Lord, Immarius.
Upon entering Muboz, Sonic fights an evil power which turns all the inhabitance into dangerous beasts.

1. Become Wolf Sonic and fight enemies like never before using rapid combo manouvers and Ring Energy
2. Play as Sonic, Knuckles or Tails through 12 packed stages
3. Extensive gameplay brings 2D Sonic gameplay back to home consoles"

"SEGA Confirms a release in 2008, 2D-Gameplay and, so far, 3 playable characters-only
Our surces indicate a presentation during SEGA Gamer’s Day in May at “E3 Time” and reveal a worldwide Launch in November 2008. We have tons of more info on SEGA Gamer’s Day, a possible OutRun 3 and … the Release of Yakuza 2 and 3 in the West. Stay tuned, guys! "

WERECHIDNA and WEREFOX confirmed!