Sonic Unleashed?

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Zeta

Re: Sonic Unleashed?

Post by Zeta »

Sonic Unleashed is a slightly different remake of Secret Rings for Ps3? Lame!
Not sure what filter they've applied, but I also find this "Wallace and Gromit plasticene" approach they've taken with the environment weird.
It looks like they tried to blend the Sonic Heroes and Sonic the Hedgehog art styles and got a fairly interesting "Sonic Pixar".

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

Why are you guys bitching about the graphics? They're the closest 3D graphics to a 2D Sonic game so far. Do you want them to not attempt it to be bright, colourful, and cartoonish?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I love the graphics, but I'm not going to buy a PS3 just to play this. Which is my chief complaint. The graphics instantly reminded me of Ratchet and Clank, though.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

http://www.sega-magazin.de/segaon/
A part of me just died.

For those too lazy to click the link:
The screens are confirmed to be real, also MOTHERFUCKING WEREWOLF SONIC

WHY JUST WHY

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Goddamit, a third evil twin? Or the retarded idea of Devil Trigger Sonic?

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Nevermind anything positive I said about the game.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

So i nsummary: Sonic and the Secret Rings 2 looks to be PS3 exclusive, totally shunning the Wii who gave the franchise it's last decent and original game.

And the main feature of the game is Sonic turning into a werewolf. For reals.

Congrats on managing to screw up the last good things the series had going for it!

Yeah, I can't wait to play as hulking werewolf Sonic! Sonic in an adaptation of Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde is what I always wanted. Because every videogame hero needs a violent alter-ego they can turn into because that's what all the little preteen boys want - blood and rape and rampaging violence that's cool.

Why couldn't they have sent him into Oz like I wanted?! :mad:

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

That's hilarious. I doubt that was they intended.

I really don't have any hope left now when it comes to major home console 3D Sonic games. That's probably a lousy attitude to have but until Sega give me a very good reason to believe otherwise I'm just assuming this game will be terrible. I'd love to be proved wrong though. The screenshots don't look bad but let's face it Sonic 06 looked pretty promising early on and we all know how that turned out.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I call hoax! Either that, or Sega has started super-polishing their screenshots, EA style. It's really cool looking, and the cutscene shots are completely believable, but the in game stuff? Something's not right. The rendering is too perfect, isn't it? Where the heck are the jaggies? It's a full-resolution screenshot. I mean compare this:

http://www.seganerds.com/wp-content/upl ... hed-10.jpg

To this shot from Sonic 2006:

http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/screen- ... -Hedgehog/

Or even this shot of Halo 3:

http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/screen- ... 43/Halo-3/

Jaggies, dude! Like on the balconies of Sonic Next, or the top of the doorway in Halo. But every edge in the new Sonic shot is perfectly smooth. I've never seen in-game real-time antialiasing THAT perfect, not without hiding behind depth-of-field focus blur... so unless these were super doctored up by Sega, my guess is that it's probably something a fan put together in a home 3D program for April Fools Day.

It's really neat looking, though! I wouldn't mind being totally wrong.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Zeta wrote:Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde
Funnily that's also what I first thought when I saw that picture.

Also excuse me but I feel I have neglected this point in my first post, so please let me elaborate:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH SEGA WHAT THE FUCK
Last edited by P.P.A. on Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Jaggies, dude! Like on the balconies of Sonic Next, or the top of the doorway in Halo. But every edge in the new Sonic shot is perfectly smooth. I've never seen in-game real-time antialiasing THAT perfect, not without hiding behind depth-of-field focus blur... so unless these were super doctored up by Sega, my guess is that it's probably something a fan put together in a home 3D program for April Fools Day.
Perhaps Sega and Sammy finally decided to leverage together to make a Sonic arcade game with option to port it over if successful?
Funnily that's also what I first thought when I saw that picture.
Actually, I more thought "Oh, Sonic is Jack the Ripper and raping and killing prostitutes", but then aftewards the Jekyl and Hyde comparison came to mind.
my guess is that it's probably something a fan put together in a home 3D program for April Fools Day.
That's what we wanted to believe about Shadow the Hedgehog, too.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

I was going to respond to Es but well, I think it's in my interest to siddown, shut up and watch until something is verified.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Well you know me... I think everything is fake. I even think YOU'RE fake! But I wouldn't want to discount the possibility that SEGA just put together some of those impossible pre-rendered "target" (cough) screenshots that are all the rage these days, either.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Esrever wrote:Well you know me... I think everything is fake. I even think YOU'RE fake!
Oh sure. And what were you telling me this time last year about Mario & Sonic? ;)

...I don't mean to strike any more terror into people's hearts, but who was that blogger who said NiGHTS 2 was originally on the 360 or PS3 but was shifted over the Wii? In the same post he said something really, really cryptic - though sarcastically - about Sega eventually making a Sonic game featuring a, to paraphrase, "Werewolf Sonic who can stretch his arms out Dahlsim-style".

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Was I skeptical about Mario and Sonic? I didn't think I was. But see, that was believable because it was so horrible-sounding! This stuff, on the other hand, looked too cool to be true. But now that I am hearing about the werewolf bit it's sounding bad enough to be real again. Ha!

In retrospect it's an awful lot of shots for someone to have faked. But there's still something weird about the rendering in the in-game shots. If it wasn't for that I'd buy this wholesale, but for now I've gotta stick with being my usual charming skeptical self. If it isn't lies from a fan, then I guess it's just lies from SEGA.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

P.P.A. wrote:http://www.sega-magazin.de/segaon/
A part of me just died.

For those too lazy to click the link:
The screens are confirmed to be real, also MOTHERFUCKING WEREWOLF SONIC

WHY JUST WHY

Fuck you sega. Fuck you. Am I not even allowed to be optimistic for FOUR HOURS before it all comes crashing down with a concept so terrible that it rivals Shadow the hedgehog for worst idea ever?

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

New images

http://www.playwii.de/wii/news,id1996,n ... h_wii.html

god how can this be the same game as the one with the werewolf???

Forza Johnman

Post by Forza Johnman »

Some more stuff.

I think it looks alright up till Werewolf Sonic.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

I hate the secret rings control scheme, and would still hate it with a regular controller, hopefully they lie about that aspect.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

god how can this be the same game as the one with the werewolf???
Even without WereSonic this game will probably still feature horrible controls, tons of bottomless pits and glitches.

Also, there's loads of screenshots here, some of which don't seem to have been posted so far. Oh well, at least it looks nice I guess.
Last edited by Gaz on Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Whatever the case, the the reactions to the pic at Sonic Retro are quality hysteria at its' finest. (I burst out laughing at least)

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I personally think that the graphics equal up the amount I see on Mario Galaxy, if not, then less.
Actually, he's quite right. If you lowered the resolution a bit, it would probably fit onto Wii. I thought it was on the level of 360 or something, but after taking a closer look at the screens - they're smoother, but not more detailed or expansive as 360's.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Well, at least Sonic looks happy about all this!

lol

I agree though... the resolution and Sonic model obviously indicate one of the HD consoles, but the actual levels themselves look straight out of Wii territory in terms of poly count and complexity. It's very similar to how Superstars Tennis looks on the HD systems.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I would be pretty hyped about this if not for were Sonic.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Now I'm just confused. Is it shite or not?

I think when they reveal the control scheme, it'll all come clear. Meaning if it's Wildfire, then it'll suck.

To be fair, I thought the Racecar Sonic in that game sucked too. It's not really much different after the initial shock value of "what the fuck?"