Sonic Unleashed?

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Re: Sonic Unleashed?

Post by Ngangbius »

Ritz wrote:I still want Sonic to have Jaleel White as a VA.
Screw that! I wanted Michael J. Fox to voice Sonic in the cartoons. Mainly because I thought McFly was cooler than Urkle.

Now...he really would be better as a mute. And when I mean mute, I mean mute as Link from the Zelda series.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Having no mouth would help. I always thought Sonic looked funny, cool and cute all at once whenever his sprite or model was drawn without a mouth.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Ngangbius wrote:
Ritz wrote:I still want Sonic to have Jaleel White as a VA.
Screw that! I wanted Michael J. Fox to voice Sonic in the cartoons. Mainly because I thought McFly was cooler than Urkle.

Now...he really would be better as a mute. And when I mean mute, I mean mute as Link from the Zelda series.
Which he has never been.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

I think he meant "no dialog, be it voiced or in a text box" as opposed to completely and totally mute.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Rob-Bert wrote:I think he meant "no dialog, be it voiced or in a text box" as opposed to completely and totally mute.
She, and I do believe you just talked in a circle.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

Well I had a dream last night that I saw a new trailer for Sonic Unleashed, and it featured Sonic spindashing and fighting his way through an army of normal looking metal Sonics while on a cliff underneath stormy skies, and then he suddenly engages a Metal sonic that looks like a cross between neo metal sonic and SIlver sonic mark II (?) from S3&K, who has hinged spines so that they lay back in the wind. After a few seconds Sonic and uber metal jump off the cliff onto a missile that is flying by and begin to climb towards the top, once they reach it Metal opens a hinged mouth and roars before lunging at Sonic.

Hopefully this is prophetic.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

As long as that wasn't followed by a Shadow threesome... I wouldn't mind it much for a grand finale.
LOL

David The Lurker

Post by David The Lurker »

Metal Sonic roaring seems like a very bad idea.

So does Metal Sonic opening his mouth.

I remember crying when Metal Sonic talked in Sonic Heroes. At least he didn't open his mouth. But he did turn into a very terrible looking lizard thing.

Sonic makes me cry.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

A mechanical roar; and the mouth was a square hinged thing. He didn't speak, but he was sufficiently terrifying while still being nothing more than Metal Sonic to make me really wish that the trailer was real.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

I'd share your enthusiasm if A) Metal Sonic in 3D wasn't inseparable from Heroes in my mind and B) it would mean adding a whole new facet to this game that's on a tight schedule in a series whose undoing is so frequently spreading itself too thin.

I shouldn't blame Heroes. I suppose Metal Sonic can be badass if portrayed and integrated properly, but really, the same holds true threefold for Sonic himself.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

I know that, but then again in the dream I had Sonic unleashed was totally different and had no were sonic. It was an entirely different game that was born of my subconscious desire to have a Sonic game that had no gimmicks and revolved around Sonic vs. Metal Sonic.

Hope, it is all that is left.

RocketPunch

Post by RocketPunch »

Wooduck51 wrote:Sonic game that had no gimmicks and revolved around Sonic vs. Metal Sonic.
HERO VS. DARK -- CHOOSE UR DESTINY!!!!!!!

Oompa Star
Now Playing: I'll be the only serious one and say Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect.

Post by Oompa Star »

FLAWLESS VICTORY!!!!!!!

Sorry. Techno Kombat moment.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Man every time I see it in motion it becomes more apparent that this game is just going to be an absolute joy to play.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/user ... 30486.html

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

I've been trying so hard to hate this game, and it just isn't working goddamnit.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

That logo looks fairly spiffy, too.

Now all we need are screens/gameplay of both the Wii/PS2 versions and the..."werewolf-hog" moves...

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Well, put a bullet in my boner, could all my incessant "give this game a chance" bitchfests actually be right for once?

It has dawned on me upon watching this that the reason that the cheap "blast through the enemies without attacking them" move works, (albeit, as said, cheaply) is out of the fact that in 3D, jumping, aiming, and even the homing attack is more flow-destructive than the 2D methods of either jumping right before contact or jumping on top. A homing attack stops you and delivers you to the ground with no momentum whatsoever.

I'm not sure the gameplay will be complex enough to elevate it out of the Rush/Wildfire category or draw up SA1/2/classic series comparisons, but other aspects reminded me of SA1 in a very good way.

And the music. I wasn't sure when the Reel-Big-Fish-in-punk-mode suite of power chords and sloshy hi-hat sixteenths set the spring-loaded tone the way a lot of Senoue's misfires have, but then the violin comes in and actually carries the rhythm section along with it, like Sonic cuts through London (yeah, I know, it's a real world locale, but it still had shades of Angel Island when he ripped through some sections. No, there isn't anything anyone had to invent without any inspiration from the real world. Boo fucking hoo.)

What I find weird, though, is with all the media skepticism on the werehog front, they've yet to try to quell anyone's fears with footage of how it plays. Or at least try to win some X-treme points with the emos. I'm kind of excited about that, since I knew little of how SA1's plot came together other than the fact Perfect Chaos at some point emerges from the side of a skyscraper, and even with every line written and delivered badly, the plot still had this unfurling magic about it. I doubt anyone will say any words like "magic" or "perfect" or "legend" or "classic" about this game, but I'm starting to actually feel genuine excitement here, not just a lack of concrete reasons to listen to my gut's bellowing otherwise.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

DackAttac wrote:It has dawned on me upon watching this that the reason that the cheap "blast through the enemies without attacking them" move works, (albeit, as said, cheaply) is out of the fact that in 3D, jumping, aiming, and even the homing attack is more flow-destructive than the 2D methods of either jumping right before contact or jumping on top. A homing attack stops you and delivers you to the ground with no momentum whatsoever.
Um...what?

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Pretty sure that's how it works. Contact with enemy, the midair spin, repeat until out of enemies, then you land and start from a much lower speed. Unless you fire a "blank" in the direction you're headed, but then you just missed about thirty feet of ground that you would have run on otherwise.

Then again, I haven't played a game that employed it in ages since I'm tired of the ones that didn't suck because I play them as therapy for the ones that do.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

As nice as the movie and music was, I'm not getting too excited about this game until someone reveals the real deal about Werewolf!Sonic, and confirmation that the camera, controls,and other miscellaneous aspects of the game aren't busted. Again, Sonic 2006 looked like it had potential too.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Believe it or not, I'm still really cynical about the whole thing. I mean, the whole thing reeked of linearity and being on rails the whole damn time. It's Sonic Rush's speed on steroids, and Rush already put far too much emphasis on speed for my liking.

I like the setting. I like the music. I like how the game looks like it'll actually be playable. I don't like the looks of the gameplay much, though. Maybe I should really get my head out of the early 1990s, but honestly, that WAS Sonic. Large levels which were fun to blast through as fast as possible, but had tons of nooks and crannies with secrets galore. This isn't that Sonic; this Sonic is "hold down right and the 'Rush' button so that you run as fast as possible, hitting buttons to do various things in a timeframe smaller than even the hardest QTE in Shenmue." Not to mention that in the Sonic I grew up with, you went a FRACTION of the speed he's going here, at best, and it worked nevertheless because they used his speed in inventive ways with platforming being the focus, whereas here they're using speed to be all flashy and add yet another bullet on the back of the box saying "FASTEST SONIC YET!", as if I actually WANTED that.

I'll probably rent it, but I think that'll probably be that (unless I see the light somehow through my rental).

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I thought it looked kind of neat, but after watching it a couple of times I'm pretty sure there is no way that this is not an on-rails, automatically-running-forward style affair in the vein of Secret Rings. I can't help but be disappointed by that, but who knows, maybe they'll make it work better this time.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Is this game really on rails? cuz if it is...I think ill pass.

Secret Rings gave me nightmares.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

DackAttac wrote:Pretty sure that's how it works. Contact with enemy, the midair spin, repeat until out of enemies, then you land and start from a much lower speed. Unless you fire a "blank" in the direction you're headed, but then you just missed about thirty feet of ground that you would have run on otherwise.

Then again, I haven't played a game that employed it in ages since I'm tired of the ones that didn't suck because I play them as therapy for the ones that do.
Perhaps you should, cause Sonic 06 fits your description of it best, what with the fact it has next to no momentum in the physics whatsoever. In that game any and all forward motion is pre-scripted, not natural in any way. I think you underestimate the smoothness of motion the homing attack does have.

As the homing attack was in its' better days, i've never been bothered by it much, and while i'd really rather not fish for problems that don't seriously exist, i'll try to address that. When compared to the ease of motion of plain jumping into an enemy, no it's never been quite as quick, but I can imagine some ways to smooth/speed it up a little bit more without either going to the point of making it such that there's no sense of "force" to it, or adding too many variables to the attack. Like, covering less ground with the jump dash;* there might be a way to make it so if you're already going faster than the max speed the dash would have propelled you by default, your momentum doesn't play by a script and cut you down to that speed instantly, or you just lose less speed. Keeping in mind while adjusting this that things can't get too out of control. This is assuming I don't understand less about how the jump dash works than I think I do.

Hope that came out right. (* so I used a semicolon and I am a prude, what chu gonna do about it?) See, it's not so much a bad idea as it is one that could be fine-tuned further instead of slapping a band-aid gimmick overtop that fouls up the whole rulebook, as opposed to just rewriting a few specific details. I guess these are the kinds of things they had to wrestle with in trying to design character moves for SA1.
Shadow Hog wrote:Maybe I should really get my head out of the early 1990s, but honestly, that WAS Sonic.
Time don't got much to do with it. It's as simple as comparing a thought-out, well crafted and ultimately well executed game design, to one that's fundamentally flawed in serious ways and has a considerably shakier rep in execution.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

It looked cool in motion but it looks painfully linear and God knows how stupid the werewolf shit is going to be.