Sonic Unleashed?

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

I believe that Locit means things get a little bit too... romantic...

cjmcray

Re: Sonic Unleashed?

Post by cjmcray »

Sonic boinks Elise.

WW

Post by WW »

You must have a different version of the game than me. I must be lucky.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

So, Sonic Unleashed, eh? I don't know guys, I think it looks like a hoax, what do you think?

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Opa-Opa wrote:
Locit wrote:Oh, man, you ain't seen nothing yet.
Shit. So you mean things get worst than those stupid loading times each time you say yes to a mission, then "talk" (just text, actually) to the same person about the mission you just agreed doing, and then finally proceed to complete it, all exactely in the same scenario you were?
I suggest you, ignore the missions (except for the inevitable ones). Fight yourself through the painful story mode once, take a break from the game for a while and then return to play the stages from the main menu and have fun.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Opa-Opa wrote:Plus, the game doesn't treat you as if you were a dumb bastard.
Omochao wrote:PRESS A TO JUMP

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

So it says it's normal sonic gameplay at day and stupid monkey swinging stuff during the night? That actaully might be okay, I hope it has the option to replay levels as either sonic and were sonic with their own alternate paths.

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

In our minds, this game will have more in common with the older Sonic Adventure series. It has no relation to Sonic the Hedgehog [the 360/PS3 game] or Sonice And The Secret Rings... We wanted Sonic fans to love Sonic even more. Also, for people who are not familiar with Sonic, we think that this will be a great way to introduce them to Sonic The Hedgehog.
...wasn't Sonic 06 Sonic Adventure 1.5 in a way? Saying it has more in common with the Adventures but nothing with Sonic Next is kinda contradictory then.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Not if you count that the Adventure games were somewhat decent while SONIC 2006 was a pile of unplayable bug-infested code haphazardly slapped onto a disc.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Says the game's lead designer, Yoshihisa Hashimoto
Can't say that name jumps out big and flashy. Anybody else heard of him?
In our minds, this game will have more in common with the older Sonic Adventure series. It has no relation to Sonic the Hedgehog [the 360/PS3 game] or Sonice And The Secret Rings...
Well that's mildly reassuring for a change. Too bad what i'm still seeing in vids and screens is a gussied-up mediocre Rush 3.

Also before my friend beats me to it on MSN: lol kotaku.

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/shee ... rId,52515/

...SA2, SAdv1 and SPP? ...heh, those were actually the best modern Sonic games in my eyes. Let's see how that'll turn out.

Yami CJMErl: So if they meant that this time they'll actually finish the game instead of shelving an unfinished beta I guess we should be happy. (Even though SA1 and SA2 also were pretty buggy (yet nothing compared to the glitchfest S06 is).)

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

In our minds, this game will have more in common with the older Sonic Adventure series. It has no relation to Sonic the Hedgehog [the 360/PS3 game] or Sonice And The Secret Rings... We wanted Sonic fans to love Sonic even more. Also, for people who are not familiar with Sonic, we think that this will be a great way to introduce them to Sonic The Hedgehog.
I'm sorry but to me that really doesn't sound any different to the same kind of PR bollocks they kept saying about Sonic '06.
"We are proud to re-create our famous friend, Sonic, for a new generation of gamers on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360," said Naka. "With Sonic the Hedgehog, we have gone back to our starting point, more than 15-years ago, to reinvent the attitude and speed that made our hero a legend. The 'rebirth of Sonic' will offer an unparalleled sense of speed that is only possible using the processing power afforded by the new systems."

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

P.P.A. wrote:http://www.mobygames.com/developer/shee ... rId,52515/

...SA2, SAdv1 and SPP? ...heh, those were actually the best modern Sonic games in my eyes. Let's see how that'll turn out.
Wait, look at the credits in each one: he always only had something to do with the Chao programming. Wow, like, street cred :­\

Oh well, he's not not Nakamura or Iizuka. OH FUCK JINX

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

This isn't really what I wanted to hear. Confirmation of that rumor that they're getting a shitload of extra help outside Sonic Team for this one was more what I was looking for, since this is certainly not the first time I've read a "Sonic's been in trouble, but this new game will fix everything" article.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

DackAttac wrote:this is certainly not the first time I've read a "Sonic's been in trouble, but this new game will fix everything" article.
Its standard practice for Sonic Team to say this with every new game they announce.

Come '09, Sonic Team will probably say this about the next title after Unleashed, saying 'with this new title, we are doing away with the monsters from Sonic Unleashed to try and bring Sonic back to his roots, while exploring a completely new gameplay element not before seen in a Sonic game, which fans of the series are sure to enjoy, along with a mysterious new Hedgehog who has a strong rivalry with our hero Sonic. we dont know what we are doing anymore.'

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

WW wrote:You must have a different version of the game than me. I must be lucky.
I have the beta of it for Wii. Said scene take place in a minigame where you furiously waggle the Wiimote up and down. The Wii port was canceled though.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

I say this withought sarcasm, the words "have more in common with the Sonic adventure games" puts my mind totally at rest.

I just hope I do not have to weep after the first ten seconds of playing if It turns out to be another abomination.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

FlashTHD wrote:lol kotaku.
I completely agree with this statement. Actually, it should also be applied to that same interview's utterly flawed logic.

There must be something about the "I WANT A GOOD SONIC GAME!" concept that still doesn't get to SEGA.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

I say give Sonic to Ubisoft. Hell, give Sonic to Nintendo. No no, give it back to Traveller's Tales.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

You know, there's one thing you can't fault these guys for. After all these years and all this criticism, they refuse to stop trying (on their major titles, anyway). A lesser group would've been churning out mediocre clones of SA2 for the last half decade, but Sonic Team is always trying to come up with something new to make the games more than just sequels. All of their ideas have failed for one reason or another, but I respect that kind of integrity and determination. Even in the face of an increasing uproar from a fan community begging them to fall back on nostalgia and rehash an old style of gameplay, even if for just one title, they refuse to give in, preferring to be creative and, I imagine, have some fun screwing around with new concepts.

Alternatively there could be some opaque policy mandating that definitive new features be added to every game to give marketing something fresh to play with, but I've been trying to be less negative.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Opa-Opa wrote:I say give Sonic to Ubisoft. Hell, give Sonic to Nintendo. No no, give it back to Traveller's Tales.
No, give it to Artoon.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Frieza2000 wrote:have some fun screwing around with new concepts.
Well, I hope at least they are having a lot of fun.

But seriously, I see what you mean. But if you take Mario, or Metroid, for instance, they had some big changes in the last years. I mean, when Mario 64 was out, nobody complained that Mario now killed goombas simply by punching them, and that he didn't eat mushrooms to grow as an extra hit, and had a life bar instead, because the game was just too frigging good, and it had a whole Mario feeling. That doesn't happen to Sonic. Maybe we are too picky, purists, whatever, and maybe Sonic Team just doesn't balance things right between old and new.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

I'd like to think most of our desire to see something reminiscent of the old Sonic stems from a desire to simply have a fun Sonic.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Totally. The rather unique issue that Sonic has is that virtually every attempt to innovate within the franchise has sucked. As a result, both hardcore fans and your more casual observers have developed an almost religious hatred of new ideas in Sonic titles, no matter how small they are. For Sonic, change has become permanently associated with failure, and tradition with success.

But I think people have forgotten that the problem with the newer Sonic games is not that they do something new, but that they usually do it badly. A Sonic game is not somehow "automatically bad" just because it is in 3D, or because it has multiple characters, or because it takes place in an Arabian setting, or because it has robot pirates in it, or because Sonic turns into a werewolf. It's just bad if those elements are poorly implemented.

And classic ideas can be implemented just as poorly as new ones. A 2D Sonic in a classic setting with no new moves, characters, items or abilities is not a magic fix-all solution. There have been plenty of Sonic games that followed that formula and still sucked. People would do well to remember that!

I don't have a lot of hope for Sonic Unleashed, but I wouldn't have any more hope for it even if it was 100 percent werewolf free. Because it's not werewolf Sonic and his melee combat that nearly guarantee this game's abysmal quality... it's the developer, and nearly uninterrupted ten-year track record of releasing lousy Sonic titles of styles old and new.