Sonic Unleashed?

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Re: Sonic Unleashed?

Post by Radrappy »

P.P.A. wrote:
(...)and the les said about Sonic The Hedgehog on 360 and PS3 the better, if only because it was absolutely awful.
I don't deny S06 was a bad game (even though I like it), but constantly ignoring its few positive aspects (level design, music, concept, graphics) is just unfair. Also it's funny how they praise SatSR throughout the duration of the article in contrast. §easily the best 'proper' home console Sonic game for a long time", huh? (Damn it, I need to buy it so I can officially bitch about it. :/)
Who the hell cares what Sonic 06 did right if it's momentously weighed down but what went wrong? This isn't a sympathy article, why should they have to bring up the few positive bits of a game that was unanimously an overwhelming failure?

Also, the concept of Sonic 06 was a positive??? I'm pretty sure the level design sucked too.

Sounds to me you hate Sonic Wildfire for. . . what reason? Are you one of those guys that can't stand the on rails aspect of it?

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Radrappy wrote:
P.P.A. wrote:
(...)and the les said about Sonic The Hedgehog on 360 and PS3 the better, if only because it was absolutely awful.
I don't deny S06 was a bad game (even though I like it), but constantly ignoring its few positive aspects (level design, music, concept, graphics) is just unfair. Also it's funny how they praise SatSR throughout the duration of the article in contrast. §easily the best 'proper' home console Sonic game for a long time", huh? (Damn it, I need to buy it so I can officially bitch about it. :/)
Who the hell cares what Sonic 06 did right if it's momentously weighed down but what went wrong? This isn't a sympathy article, why should they have to bring up the few positive bits of a game that was unanimously an overwhelming failure?

Also, the concept of Sonic 06 was a positive??? I'm pretty sure the level design sucked too.

Sounds to me you hate Sonic Wildfire for. . . what reason? Are you one of those guys that can't stand the on rails aspect of it?
I haven't played it yet, so I can't really say anything, but I assume the on-rails thing would put me off (seeing how I already detested Rush. But even without having played it, while I can't comment on its quality, it's quite certain that it can't be called a "proper" Sonic game (which could be the reason they put it in 's).
I didn't expect them to praise S06's positive aspects, but calling it absolutely awful is a bit unjustified (especially since they talk like it was worse than Heroes or Shadow, which I have to disagree with).

As for its concept and level design, these were indeed good. Not perfect, but good. The levels were slower than the previous incarnations, had actual platforming segments and almost always some alternate paths that you could use, and although or just because there were loading times in between the different parts of the stages, it felt a bit as if you were playing through different acts of a zone (also supported by the changes in gameplay style and music) rather than one long stage. While it wasn't flawless (it still had way too many bottomless pits in any manifestation, the amigo characters broke the flow of the stages and SILVER'S DUSTY DESERT ARARARA), it definitely was a step into the right direction and a nod to the 16-bit games.
With the concept being good I mean for once the level design, but also that the main character was almost always alone, not loaded with any stupid gimmicks (guns, team mates, boost moves, werewolf forms), Shadow played similar to Sonic and well... SIlver was at least fun... sometimes...
I do agree with you though that the shoddily done programming and the general unfinished of the product nullified these positive aspects and made it quite a pain, especially the first time through. After having forced myself through the story mode though I definitely enjoyed my time in the levels and still play them once in a while, but maybe just because I for whatever reason enjoy the levels enough to ignore the crappy controls (except for the jumping ones, those are the most recise in ANY 3D game I ever played), numerous bugs and so on.

Adamis

Post by Adamis »

Last edited by Adamis on Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hulkshmash

Post by Hulkshmash »

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say, pirate king...

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Goemon Impact! DA DA DASH!

Hulkshmash

Post by Hulkshmash »

G.Silver wrote:Goemon Impact! DA DA DASH!
OH, now I get it.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Nice. Do we know what the whistle is yet?

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

People keep saying Angel Island but I don't hear it.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Me neither. I get the nagging feeling that I've heard the tune somewhere before though.

Dr. SEGA Monkey

Post by Dr. SEGA Monkey »

It's definately Angel Island. Move this video's counter to 0:21....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fwMYEKRACmw

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Hulkshmash wrote:pirate king
BLUUUUEEEEES DRIVE MONSTEEEER!!

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Dr. SEGA Monkey wrote:It's definately Angel Island.
The notes are certainly similar, but the arrangement is all out of whack. I'm fairly certain it's just a huge coincedence, and I'm kind of looking forward to everyone discovering that it was only the game's main theme or something, so I can laugh at everyone for buying into this.

I mean, it just doesn't make sense. For one, I highly doubt Angel Island itself is going to be making an appearance- with the story being the clusterfuck it is now, they couldn't possibly manage to work it in, could they? And why would they decide to bring it back now, of all times? With that associative link out of the picture, the only other recourse here is they were trying to strike a nostalgic chord, but then, there are other, much more recognizable songs they could've used. It's dead, Jim.

WW

Post by WW »

Some say it matches the tune of the Game Gear's version of Sonic the Hedgehog's ending.

Hulkshmash

Post by Hulkshmash »

Dr. SEGA Monkey wrote:It's definately Angel Island. Move this video's counter to 0:21....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fwMYEKRACmw
I still don't hear it. If he's whistling Angel Island, that is one incredibly simplified version.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

I'm kinda hearing it now, but I still hear Can You Feel the Sunshine just as easily out of it.

It makes sense in the context that they just redid the Angel Island theme for Smash Bros, so I guess it's still fresh?

Hulkshmash

Re:

Post by Hulkshmash »

Isuka wrote:
Hulkshmash wrote:pirate king
BLUUUUEEEEES DRIVE MONSTEEEER!!
Isn't it obvious, though? I mean, a hand grabbing an iron?

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

It wasn't obvious to me.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

I'm sure Dack knows how it's called, the exact part of the Angel Island BGM Sonic's supposedly whistling. The only problem is, even if he explains it noone'll understand him. :/

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Aw, but that's why I'm here. To inform and confuse.

Basically, without the intro or any chords, we have nothing but the melody to go on to infer the key we're in, which makes it hard to find the center. I'm a little too wiped from a day of tech support with four different companies—which got me nowhere, somewhere glitchy, potential (but I remain skeptical) somewhere, and somewhere with a $350 price tag, respectively—to analyze the melody and figure out what key the human ear would most likely hear it in versus what key it's actually in. But if you have an MP3 of Angel Island Zone Act 1 (the original) handy, about 14 seconds in, listen to the melody. Stop at about 20 seconds, and whistle it to yourself. It'll sound like what Sonic's doing in the trailer.

Ooh, but maybe if you whistle it, you'll turn into a contrived plot device. Be careful!

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

It's totally the Angel Island song! I dunno how you guys are missing it!

RocketPunch

Post by RocketPunch »

I'm in the Angel Island camp. I can't hear anything relating to Can You Feel the Sunshine, or any other song for that matter.

Sniffnoy

Post by Sniffnoy »

The similarity to the point Dack points out is definitely there, but the sequence doesn't sound right to me. It could just be nothing in particular...

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

OMG, I just broke the wall!
Thanks Dack, now I'm grounded. >:(

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

RocketPunch wrote:I'm in the Angel Island camp. I can't hear anything relating to Can You Feel the Sunshine, or any other song for that matter.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oY9m2sHQwLs

You can hear it more clearly in the no-vocal version all over the place, but in this one at about the 2:18 mark it's pretty clear. At least, the thing that I hear in it is pretty clear.

Hulkshmash

Post by Hulkshmash »

This post will be hilarious when it turns out that he's not whistling any particular song.