Sonic Unleashed?

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Re: Sonic Unleashed?

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

I don't think that's really a problem with the Wii version though. There are those little passageway paths, but they seem to be a lot wider and less congested with rails and other gimmicks. That makes it possible to see futher ahead and spot an alternative pathway, or set of springs, or enemy or whatever that leads to another part of the stage. The tricky part is anticipating these things and reacting fact enough to not pass up prospective shortcuts (as you're very often only given a single sure shot to get your jumps right, especially in later levels). It helps that the Wii version of Sonic Unleashed seems a tad slower than its other next-gen counterparts.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Thought the soundtrack was launching tomorrow, but here it be. The tracks are about in the order you do the levels in, and there's just two extra tracks...both alt. versions of the title theme.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Finally! The music was definitely one of the game's highlights, though I can't say I'm excited about the seventy-odd tracks devoted to cut-scene accompaniment.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Locit wrote:Finally! The music was definitely one of the game's highlights, though I can't say I'm excited about the seventy-odd tracks devoted to cut-scene accompaniment.
Looks like someone never bought Sonic 06's soundtrack.
I'll be sure to eventually get this one as well, if just for Chu-Nan's BGM.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

P.P.A. wrote: Sonic 06'
I swear to god

Xyton

Post by Xyton »

The music in Sonic '06 was good, though!

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

The hell it was

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

Radrappy wrote:The hell it was
The background music of the stages the best in any 3D Sonic game since Sonic R.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Sonic '06 had Flame Core - The Cavern and that was it. That's the only thing it had going for it.

hedgepig

Post by hedgepig »

Subjective. But is was good.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

It was basically like the rest of the game: surprisingly divergent from the Sonic archetype. Only difference was the experimentation paid off (seeing as how Heroes just kinda demonstrated how bored they were with the "Sonic archetype" music-wise.) I enjoyed it, anyway. Although if I have to hear one more sixteenth-note-syncopated drum machine, my head will explode Scanners style.

SA1 is still the best post-16-bit score, didn't hurt that they quarantined Jun and his butt rock to the places where it was appropriate (although he may have gone overboard with the themes). The problem was after SA1, it was ubiquitous and therefore boring, but he also spread himself really thin. The guy really can only come up with seven or eight melodies per game, but if he's not overworked, they're usually good ones.

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

I personally thought 2/3 or 3/4 of SA1's music was pretty crappy or just lame, however in return, the remaining songs were some of the best in any Sonic game ever. Theme of E-102 "Gamma", Egg Carrier, At Dawn, Crazy Robo, Leading Lights...

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

hedgepig wrote:Subjective.
The goddamn rules wrote:Thou shalt not state the bloody fucking obvious.
In the name of all that is intelligent and right with the world, do not ever use the phrase "in my opinion," "in my humble opinion," "in my personal opinion," or any of the acronyms used to represent such verbiage. We know it's your goddamn opinion.
P.P.A. wrote:I personally thought 2/3 or 3/4 of SA1's music was pretty crappy or just lame, however in return, the remaining songs were some of the best in any Sonic game ever. Theme of E-102 "Gamma", Egg Carrier, At Dawn, Crazy Robo, Leading Lights...
You named most all of the good ones, so I guess I'm going to have to let this slide. You're On Notice, though.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

I suppose, but I'm willing to bet if he named his bottom 5, there'd be at least one awesome song in there that would violate probation.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

As someone who considers SA1's music the best of the entire series, I say we quash his stay of execution now and warm up the electric chair.

...aww damn, capital punishment isn't legal in Germany. Guess we gotta extradite!

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I wonder if P.P.A. just had some kind of retroactive experience with Sonic Adventure, since he's said he played Sonic '06 before it. P.P.A., did you play SA2 before Sonic '06?

I loved (and still love) the music from SA1, but it's missing a bit of a kick. I don't know what it is.

When Sonic Adventure 2 was released I was really disappointed that they just redid a lot of the themes from SA1 and that full versions of some songs weren't playable from the sound select screen. (I'm talking about the DC version, not SA2:B).

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

I must be the only person I know who's gaga over the song that plays on the water section of Kingdom Valley. I usually try to pretend it isn't from a lousy Sonic entry when I listen to it.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Rob-Bert wrote:I must be the only person I know who's gaga over the song that plays on the water section of Kingdom Valley. I usually try to pretend it isn't from a lousy Sonic entry when I listen to it.
Yo. Try to find a download of Kingdom Valley's track from the OST, it mixes all four themes from the level into a 7(-ish) minute epic.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Sonic 2K6's music was good. Several tunes spring to mind; "Wave Ocean" (both "Inlet" and "Water's Edge"), "White Acropolis - Snowy Peak", "Crisis City - The Flames", "Boss - Mephiles", "Boss - Egg-Wyvern and Egg-Genesis", "Boss - Solaris (Phase 1)", "Town - Soleanna Forest", and I guess "Town Mission 1" (for being so quirky) and "Town Mission 3".

It's just the game it was from sucked ass. It almost makes me wish it didn't, so I wouldn't feel so ashamed for liking the music.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

The music is pretty much the only reason I even pay attention to the Sonic games anymore.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

FlashTHD wrote:
Rob-Bert wrote:I must be the only person I know who's gaga over the song that plays on the water section of Kingdom Valley. I usually try to pretend it isn't from a lousy Sonic entry when I listen to it.
Yo. Try to find a download of Kingdom Valley's track from the OST, it mixes all four themes from the level into a 7(-ish) minute epic.
Yeah I know I've done that before, but most of the time I just find a single mp3 of the water section. Spine-chilling, it is.

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

gr4yJ4Y wrote:I wonder if P.P.A. just had some kind of retroactive experience with Sonic Adventure, since he's said he played Sonic '06 before it. P.P.A., did you play SA2 before Sonic '06?

I loved (and still love) the music from SA1, but it's missing a bit of a kick. I don't know what it is.

When Sonic Adventure 2 was released I was really disappointed that they just redid a lot of the themes from SA1 and that full versions of some songs weren't playable from the sound select screen. (I'm talking about the DC version, not SA2:B).
The first Sonic game I played was Sonic the Hedgehog for Mega Drive. ...the second was SA2B. SADX came some time later, then some time after the Mega Collection (on which I only likes Sonic 1 and Flicky (which is still the case)), Heroes and Shadow I finally got Gems Collection. Upon playing Sonic CD (admittedly with a bit of delay), I finally realised what Sonic should be like and then went on rather buying older games I missed (SCD in various versions, Sonic Jam, Sonic Chaos SMS, Shuffle...). And then a few years afterwards, I saw a couple of Da1's Sonic 06 videos on YouTube, found that the levels looked actually quite charming and the music sounded pretty good, bought the soundtrack and then fuelled by that at the end of that year got a 360 with the game for Christmas.
So summarised, it went SA2B -> SADX -> S06
Rob-Bert wrote:epic.
Yeah I know I've done that before, but most of the time I just find a single mp3 of the water section. Spine-chilling, it is.[/quote]
http://www.box.net/shared/texfr5ixkn
I should really rip the second and third discs of the OST as well one day.

Wombatwarlord777

Yeah, some of the tracks from Sonic '06 were great. At the risk of stating the bloody obvious, I loved all the music from Wave Ocean, Crisis City, and Mad Train (I think that's the right name). I didn't really care for Kingdom Valley's music, nor the main theme, but eh... They're not awful...

What about obscure yet great music from the pre-Dreamcast era? The theme from Scrambled Egg (Sonic 2, Master System) is awesome, as is South Island (Sonic the Fighters). In particular, that last one would be a great alternative soundtrack to any 3-D tropical stage. I also fondly remember the options menu music from Sonic Spinball (Mega Drive, of course).

As far as awful Sonic music goes... At the risk of stating the bloody obvious... Amy's theme from Sonic Adventure. Honestly... "It's so cute I should shave it..." What the hell?!

Blount

Post by Blount »

Wombatwarlord777 wrote:"It's so cute I should shave it..."
Okay, I'll bite. Is the answer vulva? What do I win?

Sonic Adventure had great music and, unlike its sequel, it actually fit what was going on all the time. I hated how the music in SA2 was character-based. Rouge's levels, in particular, sounded sickeningly girly. Makes me wonder what the game would have been like if Amy was playable. Arrrrrrgh.

Wombatwarlord777

Congradulations Blount! Here's your fabulous prize!

On another note, Rouge's stage music always reminds me of supermarket muzak. NOT a good thing.