Sonic Unleashed?

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Baba O'Riley

Re: Sonic Unleashed?

Post by Baba O'Riley »

Ngangbius wrote:I didn't really like the game myself, but I have to admit Triple Triad was fun at first, until many rules were changed throughout the game.
I always find myself at odds with Triple Triad. I enjoy the game at a basic level, but it's always tempting to convert my cards into spells and just twink everyone's stats to ridiculous proportions, especially given how easy it is to lose the cards if you make a mistake. Granted, that does make things more interesting, I suppose, but even so, it's frustrating. Additionally, it does stretch credibility to think that every single person in the game has a Triple Triad deck and is willing to play in virtually any given situation, but I guess you have to look to the MST3K Mantra in those situations.

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

I'd say FF8 gets such a bad rep because the combat boils down to standing still and drawing spells for twenty minutes, then fighting for forty seconds. Bizarrely, the exact same is true for the plot. Ninety percent of it is just listening to the main character moping and introspecting while juggling teen angst and plain idiocy.

I wish I knew why I like the game.

UCHU

Post by UCHU »

The only thing I ever liked about FF8 was the car you could rent. It was so fucking awesome, it looked like a Matchbox car in a toy set.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Owen Axel wrote:I'd say FF8 gets such a bad rep because the combat boils down to standing still and drawing spells for twenty minutes, then fighting for forty seconds.
People... do that? Uh. I always had one designated Drawer. Person who Draws. Whatever. The other two would attack, and then I would split the spells three ways later on. Unless I was off looking for a specific spell, but if you level your GFs properly you can make spells from pretty much everything.

Baba O'Riley

Post by Baba O'Riley »

If anything, the combat is easily breakable on the first disk. There was an item (windmills) that you could steal that you could refine Tornado out of (I forget where, exactly) and have 4000 HP before the first Laguna flashback.

CM August

Post by CM August »

My main issue with the FF8 is that the story didn't do a thing for me. I got fairly into it the first time around, but in retrospect it feels like a jumbled mess. The plot points I found most inspiring never really get resolved (yes, I expected that Hyne legend to actually have a purpose), the ultimate villain was lame, and I couldn't care about the 'love' angle no matter how hard I tried. Most other FF titles seemed much tidier story-wise.

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

That's the thing, isn't it? When I first played FF8, I didn't know what I was doing, wasted too much time drawing when I could've been refining, and got my ass kicked by the later bosses. Then, when playing the game again and having a good idea what to do, I became very quickly overpowered and had to wait all the way until the final boss just to find anything that posed a challenge. It's the most unbalanced RPG I've ever played.

And speaking of Sonic Unleashed-

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

I wish they'd decided to expand FF8 instead of 7. 7 was pretty much complete -- yeah, you didn't know everything, or exactly what happened at the end, but that was kind of the point. FF8 had a copout ending (TOO PUSSY TO KILL YOUR MC WEAK WEAK WEAK) and ignored the majority of the cast after the first disc -- IMO Laguna, Quistis and Irvine's stories would have been far more interesting. You do get a good chunk of Laguna's life, but still.

Blah blah blah geeking out over a million year old game blah.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Quistis was far, far too hot.

Xyton

Post by Xyton »

Delphine wrote:I wish they'd decided to expand FF8 instead of 7. 7 was pretty much complete -- yeah, you didn't know everything, or exactly what happened at the end, but that was kind of the point.
I would agree with that. The majority of questions I had at the end of seven weren't answered by the new stuff, anyway. ^_x

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Considering the "'Confoundation' of Final Fantasy VII" has been terrible in general, even I wouldn't wish that for FFVIII.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Delphine wrote:I wish they'd decided to expand FF8 instead of 7. 7 was pretty much complete -- yeah, you didn't know everything, or exactly what happened at the end, but that was kind of the point.
I'll grant that most games that added to 7's world were absolute crap, but Crisis Core was totally worth it. It was like everything that would make 7 playable/bearable in the present day, all in one action-packed place. They even made the protagonist someone who wasn't a whiny bitch!

Baba O'Riley

Post by Baba O'Riley »

j-man wrote:Quistis was far, far too hot.
What this guy said. I always imagined her with a sexy Irish accent.

Ooh.
Ngangbius wrote: Considering the "'Confoundation' of Final Fantasy VII" has been terrible in general, even I wouldn't wish that for FFVIII."
Pretty much. Once canon's been established, opened, and shut, very little good comes from mucking with it. Crisis Core notwithstanding.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

I thought Crisis Core was pretty...meh. Zack and the materia combination system were the highlights of the game.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Final Fantasy X-2 is still the worst titled game ever though, right?

Baba O'Riley

Post by Baba O'Riley »

Crazy Penguin wrote:Final Fantasy X-2 is still the worst titled game ever though, right?
Oh, unquestionably. A subtitle would have been far less confusing.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Ngangbius wrote:I thought Crisis Core was pretty...meh. Zack and the materia combination system were the highlights of the game.
That's... kind of most of the game, isn't it? Basically, if you're looking for a good beat-em-up, it's pretty much the PSP soup du jour. I also thought the endgame, where it opens up into a fuller, more explorable experience, was pretty brilliant.

CM August

Post by CM August »

Delphine wrote:I wish they'd decided to expand FF8 instead of 7. 7 was pretty much complete -- yeah, you didn't know everything, or exactly what happened at the end, but that was kind of the point. FF8 had a copout ending (TOO PUSSY TO KILL YOUR MC WEAK WEAK WEAK) and ignored the majority of the cast after the first disc -- IMO Laguna, Quistis and Irvine's stories would have been far more interesting. You do get a good chunk of Laguna's life, but still.

Blah blah blah geeking out over a million year old game blah.
This. Honestly, FF7 is actually my favorite game in the series, but I abhor all the totally uneccessary prequel-sequels and spinoffs. Unfortunately, while FF8 definitely deserved more, I think the time for that passed when the actual game was released. I mean imagine getting a sequel a few years after the fact... "Hey guys, here's all the stuff we should have put in the game in the first place!"

j-man

Post by j-man »

Crazy Penguin wrote:Final Fantasy X-2 is still the worst titled game ever though, right?
The greater crime was people's subsequent propensity for referring to Final Fantasy Ten as Final Fantasy Ecks.

Baba O'Riley

Post by Baba O'Riley »

j-man wrote:
The greater crime was people's subsequent propensity for referring to Final Fantasy Ten as Final Fantasy Ecks.
Well, to be fair, if your natural instinct was to look at something labelled X with a sequel labelled X-2, and have no information about the series, you'd either have to be suffering from some bizarre learning disability that causes you to mix together Roman numerals and Phoenician numerals or a complete tard to pronounce ANYTHING 'ten-two'. Then if you work backwards...

It's still a fucking stupid title, because that is not how numbers work.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

So remember when they announced a sequel to the film Tron and the teaser logo was all like TR2N. That is not how it works movie guys! Jeez!
Baba O'Riley wrote:
Oh, unquestionably. A subtitle would have been far less confusing.
The insertion of the word "Part" would have made up for everything. Final Fantasy X: Part Two. Not the flashiest of titles but it does what it says on the box.
j-man wrote:
Alternate title: Final Fantasy X-TREME!

Xyton

Post by Xyton »

On Sonic Unleashed:
How many levels are the to the Gaia Gates? I'm actually enjoying most of the day stages, but collecting metals is getting old. (I need 7 more day metals for level 4.)

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

Not counting Eggmanland, there are 7 Day and Night levels each than are mandatory to complete. There are also optional day and night levels that require more medals than the standard levels in each continent.

About FFX-2:
I'm told it has an awesome battle system. Confirm or deny?
Locit wrote:That's... kind of most of the game, isn't it? Basically, if you're looking for a good beat-em-up, it's pretty much the PSP soup du jour. I also thought the endgame, where it opens up into a fuller, more explorable experience, was pretty brilliant.
This is the first time I've ever heard someone refer Crisis Core as a beat-em-up instead of an action RPG.

Also you seem to have forgotten about:

--The randomness of the DMW:"when do you level up, what attacks will you unleash, which materia will level up, who knows?"
--Dull missions: Missions consists of the same 6-7 bland dungeons with the same objective--kill the only visible enemy. At least other dungeon crawlers have better level design and mix up the goals.
--Uninteresting new characters: Especially Genesis who is one of the worst characters I've seen in a video game. He's a low-rent Sephiroth who quotes bad poetry.
--Unskippable cutscenes: Why do you do this Square-Enix?! Why have it for this game?

I can't recall what's involved in the New Game+ since I've only beaten it once before returning it to Blockbuster, but if it involves more missions in the same vein of what was already offered before beating the game then count me out.

I do have to admit, the music and the graphics from a technical stand point was nice and young Yuffie was cute. I would also agree that it is the best thing out this FF7 Compilation, but that isn't saying much.

j-man

Post by j-man »

Baba O'Riley wrote:you'd either have to be suffering from some bizarre learning disability that causes you to mix together Roman numerals and Phoenician numerals or a complete tard to pronounce ANYTHING 'ten-two'.
But Ten Two is literally the title of the game, undeniably a gross miscalculation on Squenix's part. The whole retroactive "ecks" thing was just icing on the cake. Stupid, shit-flavoured icing, made by idiots.
Crazy Penguin wrote:So remember when they announced a sequel to the film Tron and the teaser logo was all like TR2N. That is not how it works movie guys! Jeez!
Hey, laugh it up, I'm still looking forward to seeing Truhtooen.

Xyton

Post by Xyton »

Ngangbius wrote:Not counting Eggmanland, there are 7 Day and Night levels each than are mandatory to complete. There are also optional day and night levels that require more medals than the standard levels in each continent.
Ugh, so I need level 7 to finish the game? I assume it goes up once per set of stages?
Ngangbius wrote:About FFX-2:
I'm told it has an awesome battle system. Confirm or deny?
I wasn't a fan. I thought it was Final Fantasy trying to imitate Grandia, and it didn't work out so well. It's not terribad, though, and a couple of my friends really like it, so….