Sonic Unleashed?

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
MiraiTails

Re: Sonic Unleashed?

Post by MiraiTails »

FlashTHD wrote:
MiraiTails wrote:Look, can't you just release a $10 DLC that unlocks them for me or something?
No need Ritz. I fucking give up.
That comment was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. The game was $10 cheaper than usual, but Sonic Team expects us to work to play the game proper (i.e. Sonic's levels.)

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/? ... somethi-20

Amazon's deal of the day. Do yourself a favor and don't buy the Wii version.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

^Better yet, don't buy the game and rent it instead!

OHMYGOD! This Tornado section is BULLSHIT! Who the hell thought one long QTE would be fun!?

Also, I'm not getting the responses that Sonic(normal mode) controls are great. He feels loose & unwildly. Not including the demo to Sonic2006, I haven't played a standard Sonic console game since Sonic Heroes so maybe you guys must be used to this crap.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Rob-Bert wrote:
Owen Axel wrote:Sonic 06 was Sonic Adventure 3.

The above statement says more than enough by itself.
Nah, it was more like Sonic Heroes 3, with Shadow the Hedgehog being Sonic Heroes 2.
I disagree. Sonic 06 WAS Sonic Adventure 3. Or rather Sonic Adventure 1.5. It had just as many bugs and glitches, adventure fields (if admittedly a lot worse than SA's), just as abysmal snowboard controls, a realistic world hardly having anything to do with Sonic anymore and the fact that only Sonic's stages are truly enjoyable (oh god what did I just say), plus the ones of the respective robot (Gamma in SA, Omega here (even though Omega's fun comes mostly from toying around with the BROKEN hover that you can use to break any bounds and almost infinitely fly around the whole stage and beyond)). (I admit Tails' level in SA1 were a lot of fun too however.)

...does Amazon send that to Europe, and is the game region-free?

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Ok so Sonic06 was sorta Sonic Adventure 3 but failed, Sonic Unleashed is Sonic Adventure 3 MKII Neo version, they also never said Sonic06 was SA3 although there were some references that it was.

It also helps to clarify that the creators of Unleashed said that Sonic unleashed was originally Sonic Adventure 3.

In terms of view and crap, Yes Sonic06 was Adventure 3 or rather tried to be Adventure 3. But Now unleashed said forget Sonic06 and all past crap ever happened, this is SA3!...that is the vibe im getting, because This game seem to have more in common with that old Beta Sonic06 had and it gave us what it promised unlike Sonic06.

I'm curious what will become of Sonic from here on.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Segaholic2 wrote:Amazon's deal of the day. Do yourself a favor and don't buy the Wii version.
I hope the guys bidding on my auction don't see that. It's turning out well for me though, the bid is already over $25 so I just ordered the 360 version.

(...)

Post by (...) »

FlashTHD wrote:
a) metacritic is a statistics tracker. Not the gospel of all public opinion.

a2) Are we to imply here, that averaging 64% on an aggregate website that collects review data/sound bites from a large number of amateur idiots that write for "respected publications" (their words) is such horrible news that you can't rate the game yourself as it stands? Cause, if i'm not mistaken then that's borderline breaking the "referencing outside material" commandment. Or it just is on GP. One of the two.

b) Seriously? Ok, yeah let's try that! Whip out a patch that strips out/sweeps under the rug/verbs of your choice 4/7ths of the game! Make the $50 it costs too much. Waste the budget Sega invested into creating the parts that will disappear, and so totally absolve the staff of any responsibility in creating them and anything else connected to them. Who cares, when I don't have to even look at those parts I thought were ugly!
Whoa. I really didn't mean to cause a rant. It's my own fault for the way I worded my post. Also I didn't realise there was a "referencing outside material" commandment (I've seen people just post links on the forum before. Isn't that the same thing?). My bad.

Anyway, to explain. A statistics tracker it may be, but metacritic IS pretty much the gospel of public opinion. Developers use it, journalists use it, and let's face it, most of the general public make decisions about games based on reviews without actually playing them.
The only reason I mentioned it is because (in my opinion) if the game was released sans-werehog, it would have easily been the big Sonic revival that everyone has been waiting for since 1994. As it stands, history has already recorded it as yet another shitty Sonic game (collectively through reviews, best illustrated through a statistics tracker), even though they finally fixed the core gameplay mechanic after 10 years. That sucks IMO. That was my original point. Sorry for any confusion.

As for your part B section. I honestly don't care about the budget or the staff that went into creating the rubbish parts of the game. Good games shouldn't have rubbish parts in them. As per MiraiTails's post, I am half-joking with the DLC thing. But that said, if there was a trimmed-down version of the game sold at a lower price, I would totally buy it, as would a lot of people.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Sonic Team should stop throwing twists in their Sonic games, I believe a SEGA rep or someone of SEGA said there cant be a Sonic game without having a twist in it.

Meaning: there cant be a current Sonic game without being half crap.

Its like they also try to please non-Sonic fans, I mean whats the use? Mario and other games arent trying to please GTA fans like SonicTeam clearly did in Shadow and please FF fans like they did in Sonic06.

SEGA has forgotten one golden rule,

BE YOURSELF! dammit.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

EDIT: On the plus side, it looks like the Sonic parts are fun.

No I still dont have the game, godspeed PS3 ver!

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Ngangbius wrote:Also, I'm not getting the responses that Sonic(normal mode) controls are great. He feels loose & unwildly. Not including the demo to Sonic2006, I haven't played a standard Sonic console game since Sonic Heroes so maybe you guys must be used to this crap.
He feels loose at first, but I got used to it fairly quickly. How far in are you and still having trouble with the controls?

SDHawk

Post by SDHawk »

Anyone going after that amazon deal might want to use the UNLEASH5 code for another $5 off.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Hah! thats sad.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Is that code still good? I was under the impression it was for preorders only (part of the reason I went ahead and got the Wii version)

SDHawk

Post by SDHawk »

G.Silver wrote:Is that code still good? I was under the impression it was for preorders only (part of the reason I went ahead and got the Wii version)
Worked for me when I tried it a few hours ago on the 360 version, and the internet at large seems to be associating it with this deal.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

Got the Wii version yesterday. Neither the Day nor Night stages are especially bad; in fact, I rather like the exploration element of the Night stages. It's just that the whole annoyance problem of controls and camera still linger in both, and since the Night stages are more frequent, it's more annoying there. Chun-nan Night 3 is particularly frustrating.

I think it's an improvement, and passable, but it could definately be much better. I hope it gets that way as soon as I pass the aformentioned night stage.

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

Wait... Chun-nan Night 3?! There are multiple werehog stages in the Wii version? Christ.

K2J

Post by K2J »

Wait, I thought that was true for all versions. How does the 360/PS3 level structure work?

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

K2J wrote:Got the Wii version yesterday.
Did I not scream enough about how bad it was? Should... should I have screamed louder?

ANYONE OUT THERE THINKING ABOUT BUYING THE WII VERSION, DO NOT! IT IS NOT PARTICULARLY ENJOYABLE, ESPECIALLY WHEN COMPARED TO THE PS360 VERSION!

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

K2J wrote:Wait, I thought that was true for all versions. How does the 360/PS3 level structure work?
One full werehog level. One full daytime level. One or two extra, non-essential daytime levels.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

So yeah. 360 version. Quite competent, yes, but still feels lacking, honestly. The normal Sonic stages are more enjoyable in general, but I never really feel like I can control Sonic. I know, it sounds easy enough - have him go straight forward ad nauseam, with a few skips to the side here and there. And yet, the control being as loose as it is, I have a hard time going in a straight line. Certainly this is something that you can get used to... but I shouldn't have to. I DIDN'T have to back with the first two Adventures.

Surprisingly, in the control department, the Werehog's got it down pat. I don't think there's ever been a part when playing as that guy that I've felt I've lost control of Sonic, simply because of how much slower-paced the segments are. Of course, I'm not finding the combat particularly fun, especially in these "boss arenas" at the end of each stage (which apparently serve no purpose other than to kill me five times before I can clear the stage). Good thing this is where I'm spending all my level-ups, so I can make the fighting a bit less tedious. Kind of like Secret Rings, but less unlocking good controls (the controls were fine from the start) and more unlocking good gameplay, I guess. Levels really do drag on, though, especially if I'm actually and actively searching for goodies - which, being bred on various platformers that promote meticulous searching as such, I tend to. I've only seen one point where I wish another checkpoint existed, but that was before the level end (and I wasn't aware of such when I was wishing), so it wouldn't really have made much sense; everything else, checkpoint-wise, seems to be okay.

Japanese voices are good. No, 4Kids actors being the English voices isn't the cancer that is killing Sonic, but if I'm going to be emotionally invested in this story in any way, shape or form, I'd rather not be wincing in pain throughout all the cutscenes.

Oh, and I really wish Sonic Team would stop removing all my points for dying once. Especially when it's late into the level.

Anyway, I'm feeling interested enough in the game that, were I to get it for Christmas (or otherwise, for cheap), I'd probably play through it and actually have fun doing so. It's very far from the godsend some are making it out to be, but it is indeed quite competent.

K2J

Post by K2J »

@ Locit

It's not like I own anything else. I'm not paying $250 for a single game...

@ Hybrid

...even if it's awfully tempting...

@ Shadow Hog

...and it has actual 1Ups in it...

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Of course, I'm not finding the combat particularly fun, especially in these "boss arenas" at the end of each stage (which apparently serve no purpose other than to kill me five times before I can clear the stage).
The Wii version must even have different Werehog stages (they never seemed that long to me, for instance, just numerous), because there are very few of those big enemies. I think I ran into two or three of them in all the time I spent playing. They actually appear in the cut scene that brings in Tails, but I hadn't even encountered any in the game by that time! I'm guessing they'd already made an appearance in the 360 version by that time? I thought it was just bad planning!

Also, I loved how the enemies just stood there and didn't even look at him as Tails flew away, like they hadn't really even noticed him when he was standing in between them all.

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

K2J wrote:It's not like I own anything else. I'm not paying $250 for a single game...
Yeah, but you don't have to buy the crappier version just because... screw it, if you're enjoying it, that's enough reason to have it, I suppose.

Dash

Post by Dash »

Just made it through the final boss in the 360 version. Let me just say anyone going through should max out normal Sonic's abilities and get good at their QTEs now.

A point of interest: Super Sonic has a life bar... and gets hurt by rocks. Not unplayable, but who the fuck decided on this arrangement?

It's averaged out to about what I thought it would-a solid B. That's quite a bit better than any console Sonic game in a while.

And those having medal problems; hell, I only had to seek out some medals like once. Most of them were right in my way or in plain sight. I'm not saying they're a completely justified game feature, but come on, don't you guys explore the levels/hubs at all?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

G.Silver wrote:The Wii version must even have different Werehog stages (they never seemed that long to me, for instance, just numerous), because there are very few of those big enemies. I think I ran into two or three of them in all the time I spent playing. They actually appear in the cut scene that brings in Tails, but I hadn't even encountered any in the game by that time! I'm guessing they'd already made an appearance in the 360 version by that time? I thought it was just bad planning!
Yes, the Wii version has different werehog stages. The 360's are less numerous (at least in comparison to the normal stages), and most of the enemies are relatively small and such, but at the end of every stage you face off against large groups of them at a time, or a few really huge enemies, etc. For instance, all the enemies in that cutscene? You fight ALL of them, and then some - including the big guy. The small fry go pretty easy, but that big guy took me several tries to take out without dying. Not having leveled-up didn't help.
G.Silver wrote:Also, I loved how the enemies just stood there and didn't even look at him as Tails flew away, like they hadn't really even noticed him when he was standing in between them all.
Yeah, well, you know how Sonic Team and sense go together. (ie: they don't)