Sonic Unleashed?

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Re: Sonic Unleashed?

Post by Locit »

G.Silver wrote:Dang Locit, all this time I thought you were talking about the 360 version in the first place. How did I get that idea? xD
Dude I dunno, but I'm glad I wasn't! I'm pretty much right there with you on the Wii version, though.
Ngangbius wrote:I also remembering you enjoying Sonic Chronicles, and when I played it I came away being disappointed.
Right, and I agree the game was pretty flawed. I still had a good enough time with it, but your points about everything from the music (beep boop borp) to the truly strange, nearly broken battle system were spot on.

That said, Unleashed for the 360 isn't just good "for a Sonic game." It's actually good, period. During my first session with Unleashed I and two other people just as (if not more) cynical about Sonic Team were all shocked by how well designed and genuinely enjoyable it was.

I definitely think a rental is called for before picking it up, though! I got this game for free for review, and spending actual money on a Sonic Team game has (historically) been a source of insult on top of injury. Plus maybe the game was just so bad it drove me to madness. You can't really afford to rule that out with a Sonic game!

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Wait...what!? :o

What game was so bad that it may have driven you to madness?

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

As far as flaws go, both level types have areas where you're likely to die a lot by falling off the edge of something, but they've actually thrown 1-ups in the way right before most of them.
Interesting to note that the Wii version appears to have no 1ups whatsoever, or at least, none that I managed to find.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Are there shield, invincibility or speed shoes in this game?

and what are the upgrades and how do they look?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

So correct me if I'm wrong here, but "Eggmanland" is exclusive to the Wii version?

Shame, because it looked like an interesting level. Not as interesting as Empire City, but...

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

It must be in there. There is an Xbox Achievement for eating all of Eggmanland's hotdogs!

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I just listed the Wii version on Ebay. I haven't sold a game since I was 11, this is such a strange feeling.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

G.Silver wrote:
As far as flaws go, both level types have areas where you're likely to die a lot by falling off the edge of something, but they've actually thrown 1-ups in the way right before most of them.
Interesting to note that the Wii version appears to have no 1ups whatsoever, or at least, none that I managed to find.
Actually, there are--but you have to find and hunt them down inside these "secret rooms" inside the Gaia Gates--y'know, those doors that only open with a certain number of Sun and Moon medals. They then add to your total number of lives you can have. (I'm currently up to nine.)

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

What the hell kind of a life system does the Wii edition have?

MiraiTails

Post by MiraiTails »

G.Silver wrote:I just listed the Wii version on Ebay. I haven't sold a game since I was 11, this is such a strange feeling.
You must have a lot of games. I go for compilations whenever possible.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Judging from the buzz at Sonic ResistanceIsFutile Retro, the Screwattack people played their best "yeah whatever-casual dumbass" card in reviewing Unleashed.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

"Casual dumbass" is an understatement after seeing that. The guys doing the review flat out lied and/or got their information wrong.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

You wont believe how many people are in the top of the video game world and don't know anything about the game industry.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

I and several others around are already perfectly aware of it. Sounds to me like you just found out yourself. :roll:

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Nah, just pointing out that how some people get lucky, since ive met some of them/

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

Alright, so does anyone who's played the 360 version have a final verdict on the game? Primarily, is it worth a purchase? My local EB has it in stock, however my local Blockbuster doesn't have it available for rent and they don't seem to be expecting it any time soon. As long as the general consensus is that it is an enjoyable game, I think I'll just go out and get it.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

If Your Sonic sense is tingling then yes, get it.

Ill have to wait till 2009?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

My Blockbuster's getting it Friday, actually.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Hybrid wrote:Alright, so does anyone who's played the 360 version have a final verdict on the game? Primarily, is it worth a purchase? My local EB has it in stock, however my local Blockbuster doesn't have it available for rent and they don't seem to be expecting it any time soon. As long as the general consensus is that it is an enjoyable game, I think I'll just go out and get it.
I think it's worth it, though for the record I haven't beaten it yet. Since I only have a Wii I might end up getting a PS3 to see if said version has less slowdown- especially during the more enemy-heavy werehog battles.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Shadow Hog wrote:My Blockbuster's getting it Friday, actually.
Then it's safe to say that all Blockbuster's will be getting the game this Friday. Here's hoping I can beat back the Black Friday rush.

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

I just went out and bought this for the 360. I'm about to pop it in, but I couldn't help laughing at the obligatory "reviewer quote" on the back on the box. Credited only to some entity known as "360" (360 Magazine I assume), it reads:

"breaking the sound barrier and moving at supersonic speed." - 360

I'm filled with confidence!

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

I'm currently Marathoning both versions. I'll do a write up on both of them when I'm done.

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

Here's a scenario I encountered in the second werehog level.

I entered a room filled with enemies, which I had to kill. After killing them, I noticed two switches in the middle of the room. Pulling these switches raised/lowered two platforms against the left-hand wall. The first platform would raise to half-way up the wall, and the second platform would raise about three quarters of the way up. I needed to jump from the ground, to the first platform, to the second, and then jump over the wall to the next area.

Or so I thought.

The second platform, raised to its highest level, was not high enough for weresonic to jump over the wall. I soon realized that I needed to pull a block onto the second platform, then raise it, and stand on top of the block to gain the extra height needed to clear the wall.

The problem with the whole thing is this: WereSonic's stretchy arms, that had been able to stretch out to any wall I wanted throughout the rest of the level, did not work on this particular wall. Sonic was only inches below the ledge and he simply refused to grab on.

So basically, they intentionally disabled one of WereSonic's moves just so you were forced to solve an environmental puzzle. That's retarded. If you're having to temporarily revoke a character's abilities just so a part of the level works, then your level design is shit.

Sonic levels are really fun, though. So far I've played one Werehog stage for every Hedgehog stage, but the narrative is still pretty restrictive at this point and I'm hoping it will become a bit more open-ended as things progress?

CM August

Post by CM August »

It does.

I picked up the game myself yesterday. This meant that I had to actually purchase a 360. I'd been holding off since I don't have a HDTV, but it still looks absolutely fab on my old CRT. And, amazingly, I don't regret it one bit. Up to Shamar/Empire City at the moment and it's been a blast.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Parents have rented the game on my behalf (360 version, natch). I can't play today - work from 1 to 10, and my grandma will be asleep back there, so... but I'll probably be able to tell you how much it rules/doesn't rule soon enough.