Sonic Unleashed?

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Yami CJMErl

Re: Sonic Unleashed?

Post by Yami CJMErl »

The sad fact is, I almost hope at least SOME of that stuff is true...at least where Nack/Fang and I AM THE EGGMAN WALRUS are concerned.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Shadow Hog wrote:What I want to know is why the ending never once mentions putting the Earth back together.
Good call. I highly doubt since the whole objective is putting the world back together that the ending wouldn't resolve that. Unless it's an SA2-type "Cannon destroyed before climax, but new threat arises."

Although I do remember back to SA1, where the whole objective was to keep Chaos from getting the Chaos Emeralds so Station Square wouldn't get destroyed. Really. That was it. That was what Eggman said he was gonna do. Level SS. That is what Sonic and Tails took issue with. And at the end... it gets leveled anyway. Now, sure, you stop the world from getting destroyed. Technically, Sonic loses SA1.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

DackAttac wrote:it has wings. It flies. What the fuck is that?
It's like Lumina Flowlight got a sex change, lycanthropy, and a lobotomy.
DackAttac wrote:Good call. I highly doubt since the whole objective is putting the world back together that the ending wouldn't resolve that. Unless it's an SA2-type "Cannon destroyed before climax, but new threat arises."
Yeah, it mentions a battle at the center of the Earth so it's probably implying something like that. But what doesn't hold together is the SA1 reference. Chaos wasn't a god, he was a mutated chao. And if Gaia was just a guardian (as opposed to an aid in offensive campaigns), he wouldn't have to worry about fighting Chaos, who was also just a guardian, because nobody could've predicted that he'd go insane and try to destroy the world. Not that I expect Sonic games to hold together.

This also subtly reveals that Tick will be hidden in each level. Maybe the hints are optional! If they finally figured out unlockable Super forms, Fang, and Eggman as the final villain, this should be a no-brainer.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Up until the ending that sounded rather believable, but I think it's fake.
If it, or part of it (in particular the thing about Fang) turns out to be true however, remember my words from the 24th of March.
P.P.A. wrote:Fang returns and shoots Weresonic with a silver bullet.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2357&st=0&sk=t&sd=a ... 150#p85806

Neo

Post by Neo »

- Eggman is the main villain from start to finish.
Good!
- The following characters will definitely not appear in any form - Silver, Eggman Nega, Cream [...] and Omega.
Better!
- Team Chaotix will [...] have a [...] quick role.
Even better!
- There is a [...] returning character... [...] Fang the Sniper
faaaaaaaaaaaake~

Also, the whole giant Eggman/walrus thing is a bit less than believable. I mean, this is Sega we're talking about. I wouldn't be surprised to see that kind of humor in say, Chronicles, but not in Unleashed. I think.

Deep down inside of me I want to believe this would all be true, but I've just been dissappointed too many times. I guess I've finally reached that point in a Sonic fan's life where he stops believing the next title will be the one to dig up the blue guy from his grave.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

It's gotten to the point where there's no reason to get your hopes up terribly high. I think a good number of people here would be happy to eat their words if the game wound up being a resurrection (at least a 75 on Metacritic is what I call a resurrection at this point, sadly).

So, I'm putting away all the big synonyms for redemption and just hope it's playable. Somewhere between Secret Rings and SA2 (Sonic/Shadow only) in terms of how he handles, the level design.

In terms of speaking about a region-nonspecific sense of humor and story plausibility, I'm light years away from hoping for any of that. Even when 3D Sonic was good, it was never that good.
Frieza2000 wrote:But what doesn't hold together is the SA1 reference. Chaos wasn't a god, he was a mutated chao. And if Gaia was just a guardian (as opposed to an aid in offensive campaigns), he wouldn't have to worry about fighting Chaos, who was also just a guardian, because nobody could've predicted that he'd go insane and try to destroy the world. Not that I expect Sonic games to hold together.
I don't even remember them saying that in game. Even if they did, they'd probably have no problem plowing over it after Shadow's jumbo-size meal deal of the Retcon Burger with delicious deep-fried plotholes. Mmm-hm. That is a tasty burger.

Plorpus III

Post by Plorpus III »

Really?

Really?
How can someone above the age of ten honestly believe that shit?
Referencing the Beatles? Chaos again (especially when they said it was unrelated plotwise to any previous title)?

if that ending turns out to be real, I will suck my own dick. On camera.
(You can enact a Toxx clause on this post. I don't care.)

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

DackAttac wrote:(at least a 75 on Metacritic is what I call a resurrection at this point, sadly).
75, 45, 22, 90. What do these (and any other number) almost certainly have in common to me? Same bias and misdirection everywhere you look. Don't become Simon Jeffery on us here, he uses Metacritic as his friggin' bible.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

When has Chaos ever been a mutated Chao?
Eggman in SA1 wrote:You know nothing, fool! It's Chaos! The god of destruction!
I don't see a problem with Chaos being a god that watched over the Echidnas and became enraged when they started rebelling against him and harming innocent creatures.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

FlashTHD wrote:
DackAttac wrote:(at least a 75 on Metacritic is what I call a resurrection at this point, sadly).
75, 45, 22, 90. What do these (and any other number) almost certainly have in common to me? Same bias and misdirection everywhere you look. Don't become Simon Jeffery on us here, he uses Metacritic as his friggin' bible.
I use "metacritic syndrome" to describe people (read: everyone?) who don't care about what was good, what was bad, what needs to be said without assigning a polarity to the statement, just a number. The more cumulative, the better. Although I use Metacritic to round up some of the journalists I usually care about anyway (talking more about movies here) and get linked to the full review, the number on top I both hate, but recognize that's what's going to matter in the end.

I don't doubt that Sega takes Sonic's critical lashings with a grain of salt, but when they do pay attention, I also don't doubt they want the Cliffs Notes version. Useless as it may ultimately be, the number has a lot more initial impact than anything a reviewer says.

Because, hell, I liked Secret Rings. I liked it a lot. I know it was flawed, but I got around it and liked what was behind the hurdles. The critics were mixed on it, and I haven't been able to say I enjoyed it anywhere with people telling me "I heard it was shit." "Where?" "Online." It seems even more in games than anywhere else, the critical consensus is very reflective of pop culture's summation of it. I can't remember the last truly critically panned game that was beloved anyway. I don't know if it's a matter of Metacritic Syndrome or a matter of critics telling people exactly what they want to hear.

So that's why a 75. Not because I need to be told it met 75% of the collective critical expectations, but for journalists to break out of the really easy "Sonic is a joke, I don't even really need to review this that thoroughly" rut would mean that the game really is fun. But I judge things for myself, and I've found that my diagnosis of "fun" does not match everyone else's, there have been occasional squabbles here over what games are "officially" shitty and which ones have their moments, and yet SA1 is undeniably accepted as "fun" by me and most of the people here. And if word made it back to Sega that they were suddenly getting relatively consistent praise over a Sonic game, that would open up a whole new realm of possibilities.

RocketPunch

Post by RocketPunch »

That ending's actually funny, just for being so bizarrely unexpected. I like the series moving away from taking itself so seriously, especially after Sonic 2K6.

I don't believe a word of the alleged story though, mainly because of Fang the Sniper being mentioned. I've always imagined that he belonged to that category of classic Sonicverse components that are just NEVER coming back (Mighty the Armadillo, Eggman Robo, Tails Doll, etc.), and any mention of him in an upcoming release screamed "FAKE."

If he does reappear in this game, unbastardized, that'll be enough of a redeeming quality for me, sadly enough.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

K2J wrote:When has Chaos ever been a mutated Chao?
SA1 strategy guide.
But at the altar of the seven emeralds are Chao and the guardian spirit (that people call the 'spirit of water') which makes it difficult to obtain the emeralds by force. The spirit of water is actually Chao's transformation. Although by right this transformation should not yet be called Chaos, it shall be thus called for convenience.
I guess mutated is the wrong word. It's more like a Chao absorbed the influence of something, like the absorb the traits of animals you give them, and this is the evolution it got. There's probably more to it, maybe the influence of the Master Emerald, but we'll never know. It's sensible that the ancients referred to it as a god, but this Dark Gaia should know better.

I don't think any of us can rightly use our past experience with these games to disqualify this ending as impossible. The director is new, most of the team is probably new, and it's a game about Sonic being turned into a werewolf and battling hordes of demons from the center of the Earth with God of War slinky arms. The next game is about him wielding a talking sword and becoming a knight. I think anything is possible at this point.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

RocketPunch wrote:If he does reappear in this game, unbastardized, that'll be enough of a redeeming quality for me, sadly enough.
I think it'd be worth it to know that Sonic Team are catering to us rather than the "Shadow's cooler cuz he has a black fur and a gun/wanna read my slash fanfics?" crowd.
Frieza2000 wrote:
SA1 strategy guide.
I didn't think strategy guides were full of official information. I don't doubt some of the bigger names get some developer aide in the form of maps and clip art and the like, but it's basically like GameFAQs with a slicker font and without the pathetic attempt at wit.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

DackAttac wrote:I didn't think strategy guides were full of official information. I don't doubt some of the bigger names get some developer aide in the form of maps and clip art and the like, but it's basically like GameFAQs with a slicker font and without the pathetic attempt at wit.
I guess that's a more common thing in japanese guides, but over here i've noticed Bradygames have stepped up their presentation big time - I remember the guide for The Bourne Conspiracy not only having a lengthy Foreword written by the game's producer, but a whole section at the back of the book (several pages long) dedicated to quick chats with and bits of insight from several members of the dev team.

Not that the actual -guide- part looked exceptionally helpful as those things go, but, I never played the game...

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

...... A heroic blue hedgehog. A fat, evil yet pretty childish mad scientist who wants to conquer the world. A bunch of critters who are trapped into mechanical war machines. Crazy worlds. Awesome music. Great landscapes. High speed...

Is it that hard? really?

I can't help but to repeat this, time and again.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

*Ahem*
Attachments
FIXED
FIXED
sogbkjf.jpg (161.11 KiB) Viewed 6714 times

RocketPunch

Re:

Post by RocketPunch »

Isuka wrote:...... A heroic blue hedgehog. A fat, evil yet pretty childish mad scientist who wants to conquer the world. A bunch of critters who are trapped into mechanical war machines. Crazy worlds. Awesome music. Great landscapes. High speed...

Is it that hard? really?

I can't help but to repeat this, time and again.
That's not ~HARDCORE and ~X-TREME and prone to being reinterpreted by slash fan artists enough to be even remotely appealing to today's youth, Isuka. Get with the times.

Neo

Post by Neo »

DackAttac wrote:So, I'm putting away all the big synonyms for redemption and just hope it's playable. Somewhere between Secret Rings and SA2 (Sonic/Shadow only) in terms of how he handles, the level design.
Dude, that wouldn't be just "playable", that would actually be pretty good, considering.
Plorpus III wrote:Really?
How can someone above the age of ten honestly believe that shit?
Referencing the Beatles? Chaos again (especially when they said it was unrelated plotwise to any previous title)?
I know! Such is my dillemma! ;_;
Since it said so on the old japanese Sonic Adventure dricas page, I think. It might be on Sonic Channel's profile too.
RocketPunch wrote:Eggman Robo
For the record, Eggrobo was in Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. Sure, only in the balls Kart mode, but it was a nice treat in any event.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

And that is one of the reasons why SA2 is the last good Sonic game...after SA2 all we get is Eggpawns. Stupid Iizuka and His Sonic Heroes, you saw that in Sonic's bday in Sonic Channel they sang Sonic Heroes? I mean...Sonic Heroes why not something else!? WTF?

Sorry, carry on.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

That one was funny, Dasher.

I just checked out the Japanese site, their Endless Possibility trailer runs at 60 fps. It does look delightful.
After watching it again and rereading K2J's potential story spoilers, I can't stop asking myself whether there is a "Sonic game" identity anymore, some kind of direction for the series, or if it's just whatever anyone can think of, like a Gainax-caliber mindfuck or something.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Well, Unleash is Sonic Rush in 3D so that is a great move indeed. Oshima and all those good people are gone so don't expect a good story, just another Dragon at the end.

The current Sonic Team doesn't know what Sonic is about anymore, they only think Sonic = Speed (plus a twist)...but that isn't enough, only we old fans know the secrets to Sonic, bleh.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Dasher wrote:The current Sonic Team doesn't know what Sonic is about anymore, they only think Sonic = Speed (plus a twist)...but that isn't enough, only we old fans know the secrets to Sonic, bleh.
having no experience whatsoever, I could totally totally direct a better Sonic game and make it amazing and even better than anything in 2D all I need to do is tell people to stop making them shitty and everything will be perfect again!!!

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Frieza2000 wrote:Chaos wasn't a god, he was a mutated chao.
Many gods in folklore had humble origins.
K2J wrote:I don't see a problem with Chaos being a god that watched over the Echidnas and became enraged when they started rebelling against him and harming innocent creatures.
Chaos was the god that protected the Chao. The echidnas had no connection to him.

Oompa Star
Now Playing: I'll be the only serious one and say Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect.

Post by Oompa Star »

Dasher wrote:The current Sonic Team doesn't know what Sonic is about anymore, they only think Sonic = Speed (plus a twist)...but that isn't enough, only we old fans know the secrets to Sonic, bleh.
The secret to Sonic...

...is the secret to life itself.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

I know both.

You all know it too but you ignore them.