Sonic Unleashed?

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Re: Sonic Unleashed?

Post by FlashTHD »

Bitching out things that have nothing to do with anything (no balling up, "grr Sonic is supposed to be like (X)"). Bitching out things that are not even true ("crippled" spindash; oh wah, you have to hold the button for just a little longer, same exact move but not omnipotent). Neither, unfortunately, too suprising, but now, stooping to GameFAQs' maturity level and using top ten lists to prove a point?

Please kill this thread with gas and fire.

hedgepig

Post by hedgepig »

Admittedly I shouldn't have started this listing process as it's snowballing into pointlessness. We should stick to the topic I guess but don't lecture about maturity when we're discussing fuckin' Sonic games.

We're all just nostalgic I suppose. It's frightening to think Sonic Adventure will soon reach it's tenth anniversary.

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

Bitching in a Sonic game discussion forum? Heaven forfend!

You know what, I'll go for the fair point for once. If Sonic Adventure 2 hadn't altered my favourite gameplay dynamic in such a way that it was no longer possible to utilise it in the same fashion as before and thus greatly reduce my enjoyment whilst playing the game (isn't "cripple" a much faster way to say this?), then I probably wouldn't have such a negative opinion of SA2. For that matter, if I hadn't been gang-raped by hype before playing SA2 and fully expecting it to be as fun or better than the first game, then I wouldn't be so bitter about it. Hell, if I'd just been playing a version that didn't cram that fucking horrible double-jump glitch down my throat several times per level and eight out of ten jumps during the golem boss then I wouldn't be so bitchy about it.

Won't stoop to bitching about other people's opinions, though. Having said my piece, I don't mind if anyone completely disagrees. If you, anonymous whoever, really enjoyed Sonic Adventure 2 then you got a better deal than me. Lucky bastard.

(I reserve the right to bitch about the level design choices, though. Uncreative wankers.)

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Owen Axel wrote:Bitching in a Sonic game discussion forum? Heaven forfend!
I kept my mouth shut about this out of some respect until now, because at this point it's blowing up way beyond the threshold of common sense.

hedgepig

Post by hedgepig »

So what do people think of the theme of the locations in unleashed? I suppose it's kind of African. The large tree in the trailer is some species of African tree I can't remember the name of. It may suit Sonic if it's done decently.

I'm not saying everything has to be surreal but the environments should have an element of Sonicyness about them, otherwise it could be any game.

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

FlashTHD wrote:
Owen Axel wrote:Bitching in a Sonic game discussion forum? Heaven forfend!
I kept my mouth shut about this out of some respect until now, because at this point it's blowing up way beyond the threshold of common sense.
Yes, that certainly justifies stomping into discussions solely for the sake of telling people they're not discussing properly. Bravo.

With the whole world broken into pieces thingie, I'm guessing the levels of Unleashed will be going for the theme park version of each of the planet's various environments. Jungles for pseudo-Africa, that nice Mediterranean-ish city for pseudo-Europe, and so on. Personally what I'm pining for in terms of level setting is a good old fashioned giant robot factory. Haven't had one of those since Final Egg it seems.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Frieza2000 wrote:
Opa-Opa wrote:There you were, ruinning and stuff, and you wanted to turn into a ball, just press DOWN and there it is. SA1 had the B button for that. SA2 killed it completely. No more running spindash for you Sonic. Say goodbye to that and hello to crappy useless sommersault. The sommersault is for me the moment everything began to crumble.
Actually, if you're going full speed, tapping B will turn you into a ball. You pick up more speed on ramps than running but the scripted sequences weren't designed to be done that fast, so it's a little out of control. An easy place to try it is Shadow's Radical Highway going down the big hill.
Works in Sonic Heroes, too, if I remember right.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

If I remember right, tapping B gave you that crappy useless "team ball attack" thing where Tails and Knuckles organize themselves in some convoluted fashion in order to thrust Sonic ridiculously fast forward... which was damn hard to control and served little to no practical usage at all.

Honestly, I'd say the only reason we're arguing over all this crap is because there's so little information on the actual game to argue over instead.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Shadow Hog wrote:If I remember right, tapping B gave you that crappy useless "team ball attack" thing where Tails and Knuckles organize themselves in some convoluted fashion in order to thrust Sonic ridiculously fast forward
Not always, I think the speed gain is random. x_x For whatever it's worth it does toss up enemies and blow off shields if you make it work, otherwise you do a pitiful barely controllable slide kick.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Shadow Hog wrote:If I remember right, tapping B gave you that crappy useless "team ball attack" thing where Tails and Knuckles organize themselves in some convoluted fashion in order to thrust Sonic ridiculously fast forward... which was damn hard to control and served little to no practical usage at all.
Yeah, but you stayed in a ball as long as you kept going at speed. In certain downhill segments in Heroes, being in the ball gained you more speed.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

And there was a total of three times in the game you needed to use it, always to break into the flagships of Egg Fleet. Two for Team Sonic, one for Team Dark. Yeah, it was pretty much useless.

Dr. SEGA Monkey

Post by Dr. SEGA Monkey »

Are you talking about those conveyor belt obstacles? Even those, you didn't need that move. You could just run in speed formation, and eventually you'd get past it. That's what I always do.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Dr. SEGA Monkey wrote:Are you talking about those conveyor belt obstacles? Even those, you didn't need that move. You could just run in speed formation, and eventually you'd get past it. That's what I always do.
More easily too, I found myself going nowhere trying to roll through them half the time.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Sonic and The scret rings was the best post 2002 3D Sonic game we ever had, the point is, Sonic Unleashed is going to Improve or break the formula?

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

I'd say Heroes was the best post-2002 Sonic game. The story was crap, but the gameplay was fun, the levels were long (although sometimes a little tedious)
the graphics were easy on the eyes, unlike Shadow the Hedgehog. The music was some of the best of the series, and you fight Eggman in a giant bird robot.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

...eight times.
The music WAS good, tough.

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

You know what game also had great music? Sonic 06.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

I never cared much for Heroes' soundtrack, felt to be lacking in variety and excitement. It achieved the role of background music, but Sonic music has always had a catchy melody that made it transcend that. I've gone into this spiel numerous times on this forum, but I found Heroes to be lacking sorely in that department.

I haven't tapped into Sonic 06's soundtrack yet. I'm kind of aware when it's good it'll just be a slap in the face that the game it set up so perfectly fell flat on its face.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

I liked the music from Heroes very much. Comparing to the 3d games, they weren't as memorable as the SA soundtrack, but they were better than most of the SA2 songs.

And I really don't know why everyone complains about the story. I think it was rather unique having Eggman trapped by Metal Sonic, who was trying to get his revenge and all, and Sonic and co would gradually find out about it. The whole Chaotix thing was nice too, having them working for a disguised Eggman (even though everyone knew, it was fun to see them being complete idiots). I only see 2 problems in the whole story: the Team Rose story, that sucked, but that's expected, and the giant reptile Metal Sonic. It would've been great to have him flying around in his regular form.

Also, there were a bunch of tiny little things, lines and such that wrapped the game with the other games, which is geting more and more rare in Sonic games. Knuckles comparing the giant mushrooms with the ones found in Angel Island, comparing Sky Fleet to the Egg Carrier, the Chaotix, Metal Sonic, also I believe it was the only 3d game to have checkers in the background, which is a big deal, artistically speaking.

Man, I gotta stop defending this game before I'm banned or douchebagged or anything.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

You forgot to mention that team dark's storyline was also horrible, and since it lead right into ShTH, it, along with ShTH should be officially denounced as never happening. And why would you be worried about defending Heroes? I defended ShTH for the longest time, though I will not any more. It dawned on me suddenly that the game is one giant f*** up from start to finish, both gameplay and story wise, the only good thing about it is the music and the excellent CG movies. I hate it for having a trailer that mislead me into thinking that with the ARK and the flashbacks and all I was getting the Shadow from the end of SA2 back, and I hate it for being the total opposite of what I had thought a game starring Shadow would be like.

By the way, when does Knuckles talk about the Mushrooms from angel Island?

Forza Johnman

Post by Forza Johnman »

Wooduck51 wrote: By the way, when does Knuckles talk about the Mushrooms from angel Island?
Frog Forest.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Sonic Heroes was the beginning of the end, but it was still relatively fun, despite having more flaws in it than an Uwe Boll film. I remember I once had a gigantic list of what was wrong with that game... I even recall sending it to Sonic Team once, hoping they might listen. Naturally, they didn't, given that the immediately following game was Shadow, which disgusted me from the day it was announced. Shouldn't have bothered with the e-mail.

At least Sonic 2K6 LOOKED like it would be good at first, which is why I'm hesitant to say anything about Unleashed. It LOOKS like it'll be good... just like 2K6 did.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Nextgen never looked good (to me, anyway). The tech demo looked good. Nextgen didn't.

It angers me to no end that the Wii version is probably going to be the shorter end of the stick. They act like they want us to get the Wii what with releasing Secret Rings on it and Nextgen on the others, and then they dump this load of bull on us. "The levels are too big?" What the hell? Split them up like in Adventure.

The gameplay looks a bit sucky anyway, so.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Opa-Opa wrote:And I really don't know why everyone complains about the story.
As far as I'm concerned, it was because it was never EXPLAINED how the hell Metal Sonic both (A) got his new (albeit temporary) body, and (B) why he rebelled against Eggman.

I could complain about the whole "no real reason for Shadow coming back from the dead" plothole too, but ShTH effectively dealt with that miscarriage (IMO).

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Shadow Hog wrote:At least Sonic 2K6 LOOKED like it would be good at first, which is why I'm hesitant to say anything about Unleashed. It LOOKS like it'll be good... just like 2K6 did.
What he said.

I'd still really like to see Sonic come to a full and complete stop at some point. It would do a lot to assuage my worries for the game.