Sonic Unleashed?

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Re: Sonic Unleashed?

Post by Opa-Opa »

Never seen it but it's beautiful. I wish the close-up was from that, and not the actual article filled with information everyone and their mom already knows.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

You know what would be great, if they publicly renounced Shadow the hedgehog(game) and instead of introducing the egg omelet space station they had Robotnik refit the ARK into a new Death Egg. It could look like the half built Death star from Jedi and would make a lot of sense. There is a giant planet destroying cannon orbiting the planet, why build something new when you could just modify what is already there?

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

If I ever see any variation of the phrase "return to his roots" in reference to any upcoming Sonic game ever again, I swear to Christ I will blow up Portland. I can well arrange it too, I know a couple of fat, insane women in Oregon who will do whatever I tell them.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

Opa-Opa wrote:Never seen it but it's beautiful. I wish the close-up was from that, and not the actual article filled with information everyone and their mom already knows.
Bah, fine.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Green Gibbon! wrote:If I ever see any variation of the phrase "return to his roots" in reference to any upcoming Sonic game ever again, I swear to Christ I will blow up Portland. I can well arrange it too, I know a couple of fat, insane women in Oregon who will do whatever I tell them.
Just Portland? Sure there aren't better places you can get these tub-o-lards to kaboom?
Wooduck51 wrote:You know what would be great, if they publicly renounced Shadow the hedgehog(game) and instead of introducing the egg omelet space station they had Robotnik refit the ARK into a new Death Egg. It could look like the half built Death star from Jedi and would make a lot of sense. There is a giant planet destroying cannon orbiting the planet, why build something new when you could just modify what is already there?
Get your GameFAQs out of our GHZ.

Ryan the Game Master

Post by Ryan the Game Master »

Locit wrote:Didn't Play give Sonic 06 a 9.5? I can't think of a more justified media leak if it meant spoiling an exclusive story for a publication that loathsome.
The dude who rated it was primarily talking about the 360 version. His opinion of the PS3 version is, (apparently) much more pessimistic.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Ryan the Game Master wrote:The dude who rated it was primarily talking about the 360 version. His opinion of the PS3 version is, (apparently) much more pessimistic.
It is the same game, and he is a douchebag.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Dash wrote:
Six miles per level sometimes? I don't know how much that is in metres/kilometres, but it sounds long. Please no S3K or Heroes. D:
Hey! Epic levels are just fine so long as they are like S3K and have lots of great gameplay to go with it. Heroes was cheaply lengthened by having to stop and destroy robots and other such stuff with no way around it.
I never liked S3K's levels. Not only were they way too long, but they often lacked alternate routes and the flow was horribly broken. Doors and rising sand in SPZ2 anyone?

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

P.P.A. wrote:I never liked S3K's levels. Not only were they way too long, but they often lacked alternate routes and the flow was horribly broken. Doors and rising sand in SPZ2 anyone?
Nope. Those were awesome.
K2J wrote:Bah, fine.
Nice! It actually looks more like concept art than a render.

b_boult

Post by b_boult »

P.P.A. wrote:I never liked S3K's levels. Not only were they way too long, but they often lacked alternate routes and the flow was horribly broken. Doors and rising sand in SPZ2 anyone?
I'll hazzard a guess that you are about 14 and your first game was Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, right?

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

FlashTHD wrote:Get your GameFAQs out of our GHZ.
I have never had a conversation on gameFAQS and have no intentions of ever doing so. And how, pray tell, is my suggestion worthy of such insult? having already established that there is a giant ship in orbit, why the hell would you introduce yet another death station? though, ya know, building a brand new sixth Death egg is fine also. (as long as halfway through the game, just as Robotnik is going to blow up the world and the tension is at the highest, the death egg smashes into the ARK and Sonic laughs his ass off as all threats are neutralized)

Neo

Re: Came through for the NP again!

Post by Neo »

K2J wrote:Close-Up
Said close-up wrote:(we refuse to call him Eggman)
Jesus Christ. They're perfectly fine saying Wii, but they're still hung up on this? GET OVER IT.

hedgepig

Post by hedgepig »

Despite the fact that I expect this to be a technical and gameplay improvement over recent Sonic attempts, I find it hard to get remotely excited about this.
Nothing wrong with the Middle East or Morocco or wherever as video game locations, but in the cause of Sonic, it means boring and unimaginative levels.

Sonic and the Secret Rings was a noble attempt to improve the 3D gameplay, and the focus on Sonic was commendable, but personally I find the Arabian theme rather boring; it bears no relation to the original games.

I think the problem is not that there aren't enough people techinically able enough to produce decent games, but that no-one who works on the modern titles knows what made the original games special. (though I hope Bioware can prove me wrong.)

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Ryan the Game Master wrote:The dude who rated it was primarily talking about the 360 version. His opinion of the PS3 version is, (apparently) much more pessimistic.
Which is probably even more retarded - didn't that version fix a few flaws? Like, the inability to kill enemies by just jumping into them, among a few other minor details (ultimately not enough to make the game not suck, but it was, IIRC, an improvement nevertheless).

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Wooduck51 wrote:
FlashTHD wrote:Get your GameFAQs out of our GHZ.
I have never had a conversation on gameFAQS and have no intentions of ever doing so. And how, pray tell, is my suggestion worthy of such insult? having already established that there is a giant ship in orbit, why the hell would you introduce yet another death station? though, ya know, building a brand new sixth Death egg is fine also. (as long as halfway through the game, just as Robotnik is going to blow up the world and the tension is at the highest, the death egg smashes into the ARK and Sonic laughs his ass off as all threats are neutralized)
I think it just has something to do with the fact that you suggested involving the Ark storyline again. Anything having to do with Shadow's story is now dangerously off limits . No more of this professor gerald/maria/Ark/shadow business. Any references would only open up relatively fresh wounds.

Also, this topic just got really retarded. I hate it when people talk about sonic next gen in a positive light(it happens not just here but at Seganerds of all places). It still fucking stings ok? Shut up about it. There is not going to be a fixed version. And you know what, even if some of the worst issues about the game were fixed magically, it still would have blown. Seriously. It was a train wreck from the start and from the looks of things, so is this game.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

b_boult wrote:
I'll hazzard a guess that you are about 14 and your first game was Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, right?
Although I see your sarcasm, I'm 16 and my first game was Sonic 1 on the Mega Drive, thanks. I don't like Sonic 2 and 3 though, what's wrong with that? They're lacking some the spirit and soul that made Sonic 1 and Sonic CD so awesome.

While we're in the orbit of Sonic's Earth, who the hell repaired the moon when it was shot by Robotnik in SA2?
And speaking of the moon, did you notice none of the old games showed it? EDIT: Or did Radical City have a moon? I forgot.
Night-time stages always just had a random starry sky, but never actually presented a moon or other remarkable planets (except for three Special Stages in Sonic CD, but that doesn't count). EDIT: Oh wait, Radiant Emerald also had random planets dotted around in the background.
Last edited by P.P.A. on Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

P.P.A. wrote:And speaking of the moon, did you notice none of the old games showed it? Night-time stages always just had a random starry sky, but never actually presented a moon or other remarkable planets (except for three Special Stages in Sonic CD, but that doesn't count).
Chrome Gadget.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

Radrappy wrote: Justified yet over the top distress, and pointless hanging on to misery
Are you by any chance a guy from deviantart called "power of knuckles"?

On the topic of unleashed proper; just because the only levels we have seen do not appear overly imaginative, there is still great hope. I would think that at the least it leaves 7 to 8 levels we haven't seen yet, so do not let what little bit of optimism you may or may not have left die yet!

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Wooduck51 wrote:
Radrappy wrote: Justified yet over the top distress, and pointless hanging on to misery
Are you by any chance a guy from deviantart called "power of knuckles"?

On the topic of unleashed proper; just because the only levels we have seen do not appear overly imaginative, there is still great hope. I would think that at the least it leaves 7 to 8 levels we haven't seen yet, so do not let what little bit of optimism you may or may not have left die yet!
I laughed out loud when I read this. Fine. Here's hoping for a great game.

No I'm not powerofknuckles. I pity the poor bastard who is.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

You know what, the worst part about all this building up of expectation for a new console Sonic game is that I won't get my hopes up, but for some reason neither can I thrash it.

Taking all the journalistic buffoonery out of the way (from which Dave Halverson and Play Magazine represent the bottom of the bottom of the barrel -oh yeah, you read it right, that wasn't a mistake-), most of the stuff they have showed up sucks; the Rush 2D gameplay, the Secret Rings 3D one, the Morocco setting, the horrid werehog idea... but there's also this little bunch of good things, like that other stage that looked somewhat amazing, the graphics engine looks really good and the gameplay, though shallow and lacking the least amount of actual platforming, is fast (last time I remember that a console Sonic game looked to actually be fast was Sonic Adventure 2, and to a certain degree maybe Secret Rings).

So yeah, I'm not expecting this to be the definite redeeming or anything, but being overly pessimistic is retarded, so...

On the S3&K stages: they were pretty similar for the entire first half of the game (that is, Sonic 3), but the concepts of actual traps into an Egyptian pyramid and "random" explosions inside a volcano made for excellent set pieces to unfold the entire thing. As a whole, its gameplay feels more varied than that of both Sonic 1 and CD, though it still lacked all that creative, conceptual level design (I mean the graphical design, not the stages' layout).

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Green Gibbon! wrote:I know a couple of fat, insane women in Oregon who will do whatever I tell them.
You have had a threesome! You've been holding out on us!

Hulkshmash

Post by Hulkshmash »

P.P.A. wrote:who the hell repaired the moon when it was shot by Robotnik in SA2?
I did. It was a tough job.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Honestly, I always thought blowing up the moon was kind of a low point in that game. I mean, it shows Eggman means business, yes, but it's probably a bit too dark for a family-friendly series about an anthropomorphic blue hedgehog who just happens to be really fast.

The fact that the moon seems to be whole again in every Sonic game since either means that Sonic Team agrees with me, or that they just don't care. My vote's for the latter, but you never know...

Hulkshmash

Post by Hulkshmash »

I never really understood the purpose of him blowing anything up. What's the point of ruling the world if everyone is dead.

WW

Post by WW »

Eh, I always found that scene as nothing more than an empty threat. No one was on the moon, so there were no casualties, but I really don't think he'd have fired at Earth.