"Sonic Chronicles" trademarked by Sega

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Neo

Re: "Sonic Chronicles" trademarked by Sega

Post by Neo »

That is so out of character it's actually welcome. Also, good to see this game is keeping its "Fall 2007" release date.

Also Chaos.

WW

Post by WW »

What the hell? Dexter? What kind of stupid name is Dexter? XD

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Urk, this is worrying. So the dialog's spot-on, which is good to know, and the battles are competent (if boring), but everything else is completely broken? Ew. Ewww.

C'mon, Bioware, you're supposed to break the trend of awful-to-mediocre titles, not accentuate it.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Blue arms? "Dexter"? That article Hog posted?

My faith is fading away all too quickly, guys.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Wow, at this point I think Sonic may actually be cursed.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

I'm not completely out of hope since this is still a company that has a reputation and probably isn't going to just package the pre-alpha version, but still worrisome. I want to stock faith in the one hand that a BioWare dude assured them it'd be running faster and smoother, but really, if you don't have it at a workable point, why try it out with live players?

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

I was jumped ahead to later in the game to see some of the more special attacks…ones that included context-sensitive actions. ... This definitely spiced up the action, but the resulting moves weren’t very impressive.
The Sonic X icons and this comment suggest that the visuals may turn out a bit underwhelming. Other than that, we shouldn't let bugs in a pre-alpha damper our anticipation. I haven't played a DS game yet where the stylus control felt broken.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

So basically, the only two flaws in this game thus far are that Sonic moves too slowly (Which is allegedly slated for revisal), and that the battles are just okay? What, then, makes it any different from most all of the other turn-based RPGs out there? The game looks pretty, the dialogue is supposedly spot-on, and that's all I ever expected of Chronicles. I'm not phased at all.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

See but it's boring compared to other rpgs.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

Hey, Mario & Luigi didn't have to be a deep game to win my vote as one of the best entries in the Mario series recently.

From the Kotaku article:
Tag-team moves may require both Sonic and Amy, with some special attacks that can only be done via threesome.
I wonder if that was just a flub of word choice or if they were implying something...

Hulkshmash

Post by Hulkshmash »

Mario and Luigi is an exception, it introduced some original battle mechanics. The battles in that game were unlike any RPG I had played before; who would have thought the ability to jump during battle would add so much fun?
Speaking of that game, I never played the sequel, was it any good?

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Hulkshmash wrote:Speaking of that game, I never played the sequel, was it any good?
On its' own, barely. Compared to the first one, jesus christmas no.

I gather you haven't tried Paper Mario 2 on the Gamecube, get that instead.
Last edited by FlashTHD on Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Mario and Luigi 2 took everything good about the first game and systematically removed it, yes.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Ritz wrote:So basically, the only two flaws in this game thus far are that Sonic moves too slowly (Which is allegedly slated for revisal), and that the battles are just okay? What, then, makes it any different from most all of the other turn-based RPGs out there? The game looks pretty, the dialogue is supposedly spot-on, and that's all I ever expected of Chronicles. I'm not phased at all.
I wanted so much to be there with you Ritz, but this, being a Sonic game, instantly sets off my alarms.

I really don't want to complain without actual reason, but... sometimes I think what Zeta said could be...

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

The Sonic X art is annoying the piss out of me. I really hope that's just placeholder shit, because sticking it with everything else makes it look so out of place.

Also, the blue arms.

</bitchwhine>

DackAttac

Re:

Post by DackAttac »

Isuka wrote:
Ritz wrote:So basically, the only two flaws in this game thus far are that Sonic moves too slowly (Which is allegedly slated for revisal), and that the battles are just okay? What, then, makes it any different from most all of the other turn-based RPGs out there? The game looks pretty, the dialogue is supposedly spot-on, and that's all I ever expected of Chronicles. I'm not phased at all.
I wanted so much to be there with you Ritz, but this, being a Sonic game, instantly sets off my alarms.

I really don't want to complain without actual reason, but... sometimes I think what Zeta said could be...
Maybe we're just paranoid. Once bitten, twice shy. Metaphorically, we're up to our forearms in teethmarks by now. But after thinking about it, Ritz is relatively right about how this is probably blown out of proportion. Despite how dull the combat is claimed to be, the EBA comparisons still have me all hot and bothered. (Besides, haven't we agreed obsessing over Sonic's speed is usually the first nail in the coffin?)

But if Bioware can't make a decent Sonic-themed RPG, then there'd be a lot of merit to the curse theory. And I'd actually have to worry that Sega will always have one thumb in the pie that the developers just can't adequately work around, be it creative direction, character inclusion criteria, or (most likely) a cramped holiday-ready development schedule. Really, listen to Fong's jubilation to be working with Bioware and then his windfall when he brings around Sega's involvement.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

What I want to know is why Bioware isn't releasing gameplay videos? Everything that have been released so far are screen caps, even in that dang video interview I posted. =/

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Hey look, it's my long-standing favourite colouring mistake!

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Sonic's hands are even much more massive than his arms.

Dash

Post by Dash »

I just have no idea why they're using all this stock art in an official showing like this. Even the font seems unpolished! Certainly SEGA must have forced Bioware's hand with this presentation and they were only wise enough to "forget" to make videos for the press. It's good to hear that the character banter is decent though.

Still... blue arms?!

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Ah, it's been a while since I've seen that miscolouring. Still not as bad as peach coloured legs!

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

http://www.jonnys-place.com/pics/pocketadv/suntan.gif
Holic, would you be so kind as to FIX THE BBCODE IN HERE ALREADY SO IMG TAGS WORK

Pending any delay(s), this so called RPG dream team's got about five months to make it appear more appealing than a bootleg/half-assed fangame. Not too promising.
So basically, the only two flaws in this game thus far are that Sonic moves too slowly (Which is allegedly slated for revisal),
Ha

Ha Ha

Ha Ha Ha

Ha.

We'll see. But if it went down exactly as that GoNintendo guy said it did, i'm quite reminded of "naw, we're cutting the 4Kids actors loose after Wildfire" which also came out of the mouth of a Sega rep.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Ew. Kinda looks like he's pantless.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Sonic, pantless?
Now that would be ridiculous.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

If they were using stock art for this game, the least they could do is use GOOD stock art.