NiGHTS into Dreams is coming to the PS2

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

Crazy Penguin wrote:I reeeeaaally hope that the '?????' on the mode select is Christmas NiGHTS. The new Gallery has the same design as Chritmas NiGHTS's Presents gallery.
I would imagine that the two videos at the bottom of the "Movie Theater" are the Christmas NiGHTS opening and ending. Although my mind can't quite figure out what all of the other videos are.

THEbigLANDMAN

Post by THEbigLANDMAN »

The other videos are all the original videos, you had to complete the game twice with both characters (in different dreams) to see every scene.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Any worries of Nights 2 ruining Nights is now vanquished, this is the game I really wanted.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Unless they fuck up the port. And Sega's done that before with their games.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

THEbigLANDMAN wrote:The other videos are all the original videos, you had to complete the game twice with both characters (in different dreams) to see every scene.
Oh, I guess the last two boxes are for the two "after credits" sequences. OK, that makes sense.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Tsuyoshi-kun wrote:Unless they fuck up the port. And Sega's done that before with their games.
Paraphrasing Gibb:

<i>NOT LISTENING LALALAAA</i>

THEbigLANDMAN

Post by THEbigLANDMAN »

Tsuyoshi-kun wrote:Unless they fuck up the port. And Sega's done that before with their games.
It has the original game included, they can't fuck it up ^^

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

THEbigLANDMAN wrote:
It has the original game included, they can't fuck it up ^^
Sonic1GBA

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

OK, they ported it to an "unfit" system, but the Saturn modes of both Panzer Dragoon and Dynamite Deka are faithful and accurate. Even if they indeed managed to bust the remake, I'm sure the Saturn mode'll be alright.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

It's not currently up, but TRiPPY had an interview with Iizuka, in which he said the game'll be Japan exclusive.

... OK, while the game's still in english I'll be able to play it without any problems, I think.
Oh, and nice art Burraki!

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Glad I got Disc Swap Magic for my PS2, I suppose. I always did want to play the original NiGHTS regardless of its language.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

English was only used on the menus and credits anyway. Once you've figured out how to set the bosses after finishing the game everything will be hunky dory.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Isuka wrote:It's not currently up, but TRiPPY had an interview with Iizuka, in which he said the game'll be Japan exclusive.
Sega Nerds has better (highly optimistic) articles here and here.

Oompa Star
Now Playing: I'll be the only serious one and say Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect.

Post by Oompa Star »

Sega Nerds: Is there anything you would have liked to have changed or added to the final release of JoD?

Iizuka: No, nothing more. I feel that we have implemented everything we wanted to. I think we did everything we could do with the Wii’s features. [Jokes] It’s perfect.
It would so super fantabulous if JoD will be as flawless as Iizuka claims. I suppose there might be a slim chance that he has been half-assing the last crop of Sonic games as a way of saving his creativity for another Nights, maybe.

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

He's a developer on the figurative eve of his game's release. What else is he going to say?

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

The usual schtick, maybe? I dunno. Even with the glossy snake-tongue lip service the last few games have gotten, I don't think they've ever pulled out the P-word, even in jest.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Japanese site Watch Impress has confirmed that Christmas NiGHTS will be included as an extra in the PS2 remake. As with the rest of the game, the visuals will receive an update.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Just. As. Expected. :cool:

It'd be nice if they got to put in higher-quality versions of the CG movies too, like Sonic CD's cutscenes in Gems Collection.

Dasher

Re: NiGHTS into Dreams is coming to the PS2

Post by Dasher »

Im sorry if I forgot or I didnt read carefully, but any idea of the release date for this thing? I want to be ready.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

February 21, Japan only.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Did anyone else notice there's now actual content on the game's site?

In typical SEGA AGES 2500 fashion, the main mode is called "Brand New Dream", and the original mode is "SegaSaturn Dream".
Last edited by Isuka on Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

Wow, they completely addressed one of my concerns: having the entire level completely rendered at all times and making it feel cramped thanks to the upper, uh, ground. They extended the draw distance just enough to improve the game's appearance, but not enough to make it feel like you're in a cave all the time. Huh. Neat.

EDIT: Hooray, slick wallpapers!

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

http://www.gamekult.com/video/8691001/

Video. Who wants to start harassing Atlus to bring this to the states? If Sega of America isn't going to do it (and if they were, you'd think they would have announced it by now), Atlus seems to be the defacto "publish games that nobody else will publish because they supposedly won't sell enough" company.

I mean, they just announced they were localizing a new PS2 game a few days ago.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Atlus isn't the only one who publishes Japanese games when the American branch(or lack of) of a company won't. There is Mastiff, XSeed, UFO, NISA, and some others I can't recall. However why start harrasing Atlus for this? You think NiGHTS is the first game that people would wish Atlus would bring over? I'm willing to bet that there are folks emailing Atlus to bring the JP-only Tales games, Mother 3, most of the Ys entries, and many other games that are high-profile to the hardcore. And why would you want only NiGHTS to be brought here? I want the whole damn Sega AGES line.

Besides, I don't think solicting Atlus will help, as I have a feeling that this is ultimately Sega's decision whether they will give permission to allow another company to bring their games here or not. It seems to be the case with Namco and their stingyness with the Tales of line.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

I think Atlus has expressed interest in bringing Mother 3 over, but as I said on another forum, Nintendo is oddly protective of their properties. Atlus also wished to bring over Densetsu No Stafy as the story goes, and Nintendo blocked them - despite having no logical reason to (Stafy contains no content that would be objectionable to people in the states - no more than Kirby, anyway). Infact, as I recall, the story about Atlus attempting to localize Stafy came from a Starmen.net staffer when in regards to them speaking to an Atlus rep over localizing Mother 3 for Nintendo. If either game is coming over, it's going to be localized internally by Nintendo themselves and nobody else.

Mastiff, XSeed, UFO, NISA are great, but none seem to carry the weight Atlus does (infact, outside of Mastiff, I've never heard of those other three; unless NISA is Nippon Icchi). If Sega or Sonicteam is going to trust anyone, it's going to be Atlus simply for their experience. I'm sure it's all a matter of perspective, but it's clear to me why something like Tales of Fandom stayed in Japan. Ys had it's shot at the American market already and apparently wasn't worthy of sticking around (I recall reviews being pretty mixed). I've never played a Ys game myself, so I probably don't "get it", though.

But NiGHTS... the PS2 remastering is all anybody would've ever needed. Nobody in their right mind will claim Journey of Dreams surpasses it's predecessor (and saying this full well makes me think the same could apply to Ys above), and considering the demand for more NiGHTS pre-Journey, I'd say the PS2 remastering out-prioritizes most of the other "this game must be localized immediately!" options. And don't forget - it helps to strike while the iron is still hot.

Even better, it's not as though NiGHTS is a terribly text-heavy game to begin with; it's not like they're localizing Odin Sphere or Persona 3. Chances are all they'll have to do is tick the "USA Region" checkbox, retranslate the manual, revoice the Christmas intro, and they're more or less done. That's what you could call easy money. The only thing stopping me personally from importing it is the requirement of a modchip (and the money to fund both the purchase of a means to play imported software and the software itself, but that's beside the point).