SEGA Superstars Tennis for Wii / PS2 / PS3 / 360 / DS

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Rlan
News Guy

SEGA Superstars Tennis for Wii / PS2 / PS3 / 360 / DS

Post by Rlan »

LONDON & SAN FRANCISCO (Oct 18, 2007) – SEGA Europe Ltd. and SEGA of America, Inc. today announced SEGA Superstars™ Tennis, a game that brings together some of the most treasured and well known characters from the SEGA universe, in some of the most unusual courts and outrageous settings ever imagined. Developed by Sumo Digital Ltd., SEGA Superstars Tennis will be released on the Sony PlayStation® 3 computer entertainment system, Sony PlayStation 2, the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, and Nintendo Wii and DS, all hitting shelves early in 2008.

SEGA Superstars Tennis has over 15 playable SEGA idols including Sonic the Hedgehog, AiAi from Super Monkeyball fame, Ulala of Space Channel 5 and Amigo from Samba De Amigo. In addition to their own unique attributes, each character will also come equipped with their own superstar tennis skills, putting a whole new spin on each match played!

Exhibition mode offers the chance to challenge Sonic, or the character or your choice, to a match on one of many courts, including Sonic’s home court of Green Hill Zone, or Amigo’s Carnival Park court. Wherever you play there will be a host of SEGA celebrities cheering you on from courtside and by partaking in crazy doubles matches with your choice of partner, you could end up playing against some pretty unusual couples! Prove your SEGA hero is the shining star of SEGA Superstars Tennis by collecting silverware in the Tournament Mode. There will also be the opportunity to unlock a host of exciting extras which will be announced in the near future!

Complementing the Exhibition and Tournament modes, there will also be new and innovative ways of enjoying some of SEGA’s classic titles, plus platform exclusive ways to play the game, including online modes for X360 and PS3 versions!

“SEGA Superstars Tennis has the potential to be one of the most fun and accessible sports games ever.â€￾ commented Gary Knight, European Marketing Director. “The fantastic Sumo Digital team has had access to a wealth of SEGA IP and you’ll be surprised at the gaming icons that will be making an appearance!â€￾

Available on the Sony PlayStation® 3 computer entertainment system, Sony PlayStation 2, the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, and Nintendo Wii and DS, SEGA Superstars Tennis will release in early 2008.

For more assets and information please visit http://www.sega-press.com
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff10 ... sform4.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff10 ... dChaos.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff10 ... dChaos.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff10 ... Intro3.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff10 ... meShot.jpg

PS. Needs more Ristar!

EDIT: Changed ass-normous images into links. - Pep
Last edited by Rlan on Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

I thought we were promised by a producer in Sonic Team that Sonic wouldn't appear in any generic sports games like Mario? Unless this just doesn't count as it's everyone.

It'll be better than Riders 2, at least. Well I'd hope...

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I <b>was</b> going to say that this game would be a pile of utter crock.

Then I remembered that Sega made <i>Virtua Tennis</i>. This might have hope after all.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Who developed VT, Sumo Digital? Also the topic's name is deceiving, there's no PSP or PC version coming out.

And it needs more Sketch Turner too.
Last edited by Isuka on Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Sumo Digital just ported Virtua Tennis and added online multiplayer, most of what they do have been ports of SEGA arcade games. Though every one has been good, so I trust them to make a good game.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Sumo who? Also for being wacky and spirited, the backgrounds sure look piss poor dull. I haven't seen sonic's world portrayed this way since oh, 3d Blast maybe? Always a good clue that sonic's being outsourced.

Rlan
News Guy

Post by Rlan »

Sumo has essentially been a port house with the PS3 / PSP / 360 ports of Virtua Tennis, as well as the Xbox ports of Outrun 2.

Since it looks like they're making the game using the Virtua Tennis engine, it'll be a great play.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

This has potential. I've enjoyed quite a few tennis games in the past. However, it's one of those games that I don't think anyone ever really wanted.

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

I see a motobug.

In 3D.

To hell with the sports! It has MOTOBUG IN 3D.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

And there's also Big. You remember Big, don't you?

Is it that hard to get Orta, Beat or Azel to come play some doubles?
Tillis, at least? Temjin'd kick orbital amounts of ass.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Who the hell is Beat and Azel? Or Till or Temjin. We don't need a cast of obscure Japanese characters like Brawl that no one gives a shite about.

Also I think all purple cats should be banned from the golf course. Black hedgehogs too.

And I just noticed the motorbug there too, that certainly is awesome! As is the old TV box. Now if they only just made a real game with all of this instead of tennis no one cares about.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Wow, that's some awesome court art. Too bad it's wasted on a generic sports game nobody will ever care about.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

That Green Hill court is sex.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Why... why don't stages in Sonic games look like that court?

WHY!?

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Zeta wrote:Wow, that's some awesome court art. Too bad it's wasted on a generic sports game nobody will ever care about.
So, it's just like Mario and Sonic: giving the fans something they've asked for for years, and doing so in the worst possible game.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Kogen wrote:Who the hell is Beat and Azel? Or Till or Temjin. We don't need a cast of obscure Japanese characters like Brawl that no one gives a shite about.
You really don't know your Sega.

Beat: main character of <i>Jet Set Radio</i>.
Azel: titular character of <i>Azel: Panzer Dragoon RPG</i> (known in the West as <i>Panzer Dragoon Saga</i>). Not the central character but she's extremely important to the plot.
Tillis: one of the two main playable Burning Rangers in the game of the same name.
Temjin: okay, this one has me stumped, too.

They may be somewhat obscure but pretty much all of them have been stateside at some point.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Boring

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Beat playing Tennis in his inlines would be fucking hilarious.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Temjin is Virtual On you retards.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

There needs to be some Skies of Arcadia representation in this game with the Delphius as the tennis court.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

What the fuck is this shit. Today isn't April 1st.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Golden Axe would be a hoot. Since there's a new game coming and all.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

I don't think we need large breasted women and queer looking emos in a light hearted tennis game. Ulala's pointy chest is good enough and I'm sure Shadow will be in the game to stop it from reaching a level of "That's a fun game, Skeeter!".

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Large-breasted women make virtually ANYTHING better. Also, I'm surprised they didn't mention NiGHTS being in there--it'd be a dead cert, what with Journey of Dreams coming in December...

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Looks great, really. I kind of wish they'd go for something a little more all-encompassing than tennis, but it looks great. Reminds me of 3D Blast, too, but in a more positive light. In the way that they just pulled several simple, aesthetically pleasing pieces of games and wove them together with a simple 3D makeover. Except the 3D makeover is slightly more appealing.

The decision to make it a "Sega All-Star" thing is kind of weird for me, since Sega's had nothing but a string of extremely esoteric sagas and one-hit cultesque wonders outside of Sonic. I mean, I see Blaze there, so you know there'll at least be Tails, Knuckles, Amy & Shadow. And what can Space Channel 5 offer other than Ulala? Morolians are ballboy material, sorry. And how about Samba de Amigo, other than the monkey? And Super Monkey Ball, other than the... other monkey?

But what was the other option? Make this a Sonic tennis game? I look at these screens and then at Riders 2, and am just amazed at how shallow Sonic's world seems when it's compromised.

Video game tennis is hard to screw up because it's one step simpler than ping-pong. At the very worst, with the lack of decent multiplayer options and minigames, they're dull. If they do manage to bone this one into negative territory, it'll just be all the more evident of the extent they're leaning on Sonic (and, apparently, the rest of their creations) as cash cows.