Samba de Amgio coming to Wii

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

So it would seem...

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Re: Samba de Amgio coming to Wii

Post by FlashTHD »

So, if Gamestop's been fed the right boxart, looks as if Samba's going to be the first disc game to use WFC Pay-to-Play. Eek?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Eek indeed, since you will probably just be paying to download "keys" that unlock songs already on the disc.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Ugh. Hopefully it's just for online play and not content on the disc, or else it'll probably be more affordable to just juse a GameShark.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Re:

Post by Opa-Opa »

Actually, we've endured much worse.

Meat

Post by Meat »

Actually I think I missed this... what's this pay to play stuff? A search online brings up information about it, but not anything that actually conveys any information about it...

Xyton

Post by Xyton »

Zeta wrote:Ugh. Hopefully it's just for online play and not content on the disc, or else it'll probably be more affordable to just juse a GameShark.
Be careful with that. :s I have a friend who bought an Action Replay, and it didn't let him add any new codes. Then he updated his system and it wouldn't boot. x_X

I agree that they shouldn't put stuff on the disk you have to pay for an "unlock key" online for. After all, you already bought the game...! >_<

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Commercial is out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsdlpMnhrEo

It's early '80s production values and scripting, complete with bored White Anglo Saxon Protestant family saved from their boredom by a Mexican chimp.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

... For some reason, I suspect this concept of commercial trailer is not entirely compatible with neither the SEGA scream nor Pirate TV...

Fuck it. This is totally gay.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

The chimp with maracas was awesome, because it was a chimp with maracas.
It's ruined by the retarded faces of the family when then embarrassingly dance in front of the TV though. Just like so many times before. Wii is not only killing the industry but also the wonderful TV ads! Some used to be funny, well-animated, impressive... now every damn Wii spot is some retarded family hopping around in front of a white couch. With some 1-second clips of the game thrown in. Fuck you, post-GC Nintendo.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Oh boo-hoo. Heaven forbid the commercials actually set out to accomplish what Nintendo is trying to accomplish! To say that the damn thing is "killing the industry" is so off-kilter it barely calls for wasting my breath, but I will anyway. If anything, it's actually keeping the industry afloat. I mean, would you rather have the Wii, or an indsutry dominated by jet engine consoles loaded with space marine first person shooters and recycled sports games played by asshat jocks? Now, I know I'm exaggerating with this claim, but you gotta admit that it's at least somewhat true. Nintendo needed the Wii to keep themselves alive. If they hadn't made the decision they did it would have been either A) a repear performance of the GCN era or B) be forced to comply with the keys behind Sony's and Microsoft's success and just give us more of what we've been seeing out of them. I'm not saying there were never any notable gems coming from all three consoles, because there were, but your claim is just a little bit too much for what it's worth, no?

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Oh, shut the fuck up.

Xyton

Post by Xyton »

I kinda have to agree, though. That commercial was horrible, but it was targeted at the audience they were trying to sell to. Of course, I don't think that should be the only group they're targeting, but....

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

We can think they shouldn't target only one end of the spectrum all we want. Microsoft largely caters to frat boys, and they certainly aren't showing any signs of stopping. Catering only to die-hard fans is an easy way to shoot one's self in the foot. It's not like Nintendo hasn't given us things that do appeal to regular gamers. Galaxy, Prime 3 and Brawl all spring to mind...

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Rob-Bert wrote:Catering only to die-hard fans is an easy way to shoot one's self in the foot.
And they old sold less than Halo 3 or Gears of War in the States, or whatever that crazy tit-touching simulator for DS was named and the spectacular Kawashima brain training stuff in Japan.

I'm not big on FPS games, but I can tell which of the two sides is better than the other. Microsoft isn't giving me the stuff I really want, neither does Sony and its endless false promises, but the Wii, barring the five Nintendo-developed games and the one or two third-party ones, is actually more prone to gaming-industry killing than to helping it find variety and quality any time soon.

And making a Samba DE Amigo commercial where there aren't any wasted Japanese businessmen or stoned teenagers, and the chimp doesn't even scream "SEGA!" at the end of it is not helping things out.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

How exactly is it prone to killing the industry? The only thing that can really do that is another crash, and that would only happen if Nintendo has nobody to compete against, which don't now because they finally found another side of the market not yet tapped into. When that market gets run dry, then maybe we'll be heading into dangerous territory, that is, unless they managed to discover a whole other demographic that we haven't been able to fathom yet... or something.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

I'm with you on this one Rob-bert. Wii software may be targeted to the "casual audience" and they may not be games that we as more devoted gamers will love, but you cannot deny that Nintendo is helping to expand and innovate more than harm! Microsoft and Sony will always be here to provide the XXXHARDCOREZ experience if that's what you're still looking for. I mean really, what have we lost with the coming of the wii? Its not as if people really bought games other than the first party titles on the 64 and GC either.

If you have to blame anyone here, blame the shitty 3rd parties for making shitty waggle games that wouldn't challenge a 3 year old. But I mean really, Nintendo? How else are they supposed to compete with two ginormous companies with numerous subdivisions and overflowing buckets of dough. Don't forget that Nintendo, aside from the game business, has just about nothing.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Also, for those who care, the reason for all those shitty 3rd party produced shovelware titles is because the Wii is a successful system. The same kind of titles plagued the NES and PS2, and those were obviously the most successful systems of their respective generations and probably all of video game history starting at the Crash of '83.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Well... but what are the chances of E.T. happening again? It's pretty unlikely that a single game will create as much hype and as many returned copies at the same time once again.
Unless I'm missing something.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Two Wii-motes per player? I realize that it's probably physically impossible to do it any other way, but doesn't seem like it's breaking some kind of cardinal Wii rule somewhere?

(Also, pink suspenders. Hot pink suspenders.)

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

You can play with a Wiimote and Nunchuck, but it's not as awesome.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

This commercial is as retarded as the original Samba de Amigo commercials, but more coherent.

The game is still a huge pile of latin stereotype and prejudice.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Yeah, but at least it's the positive stereotype of the happy, musical latinos instead of the lazy ones who are also somehow taking all of our jobs while being so lazy.

RocketPunch

Post by RocketPunch »

My personal favorite Latin stereotype comes from Mighty Ducks 2, which featured a Hispanic character who was so fiery and passionate that he didn't even know how to slow down while skating. He's right up there with the Asian character who was ironically a figure skater and the Texan that brought lassos to hockey games.

I sort of miss '90s race relations.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

Zeta wrote:Yeah, but at least it's the positive stereotype of the happy, musical latinos instead of the lazy ones who are also somehow taking all of our jobs while being so lazy.
Those would be just the mexicans, I guess.

I mean, really, there's no research there. They call it "Samba de Amigo", that's not even gramatically correct, and the songs aren't even samba, they are some techno-salsa or mambo or whatever, something that seems to be from the caribbean. There aren't even maracas in samba! Most of the songs are in portuguese and they say practically nothing at all, they just throw some random words and sentences around. I mean, "Café do Brasil"? What the fuck. Good thing we stereotype the japanese all the time.

I think these guys have as much reference material as the Capcom staff who stated that Dhalsim should yell "yoga" for every single move.