In-game footage of Mario and Sonic

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Zeta

Post by Zeta »

This game instantly fails if Sonic is allowed into the swimming competition.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Mario, Peach and even Bowser can potentially beat Sonic in a foot race. I'd say it's already failed.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Gaz wrote:It confirms that Vector are playable

The game just went from 'absolute trainwreck' to just plain 'insipid'. What's better is that Espio's the one getting slighted this time around, which pleases me in a fanboyish sort of way.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I think it's really revealing to compare the approach of this title with that of a game like Smash Bros. After all, both games are similar conceptually... they're about taking tons of characters from well-known, established franchises and bringing them together into one big crossover.

But man, look at how Smash Bros is handled. Look at the almost religious level of respect with which it treats its cast members and their respective source material. The characters are completely defined by their heritage; their moves and abilities are informed almost uncompromisingly by elements of their own games. They aren't being altered dramatically to fit into a given formula. The game is built around them, not the other way around.

Mario and Sonic, on the other hand, is like Smash Bros' polar opposite. The characters are being shoe-horned into a formula that makes that kind of character accuracy impossible. It's the Olympic license, not the cast, that is defining the gameplay. And for that style of gameplay to function, Sonic can't be super fast, Mario can't jump super high, Yoshi can't lay eggs everywhere, and Shadow can't cap bitches in a bleak post-apocalyptic future ruled over by alien bugs.

It may turn out to be a fun game, but it can never be satisfying as a crossover because everything that makes the characters unique had to be removed. It's like playing Quake 3 with Sonic and Mario character skins... the game came first and the cast came second. They've built the whole thing backwards.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Esrever wrote:and Shadow can't cap bitches in a bleak post-apocalyptic future ruled over by alien bugs
God, that sounds so much better written down.

But yeah, totally agree'd, second'd, etc'd. All this Somario Olympics nonsense just makes me look forward to Brawl even more.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Esrever wrote:Mario and Sonic, on the other hand, is like Smash Bros' polar opposite. The characters are being shoe-horned into a formula that makes that kind of character accuracy impossible. It's the Olympic license, not the cast, that is defining the gameplay.

It may turn out to be a fun game, but it can never be satisfying as a crossover because everything that makes the characters unique had to be removed. It's like playing Quake 3 with Sonic and Mario character skins... the game came first and the cast came second. They've built the whole thing backwards.
I guess that's as good as we can expect from Sega. Supposedly, Sega was already making this with just Sonic, but the Olympic committee thought it needed to "reach out to a wider audience," so Sega came to Nintendo to see if they're whore out Mario.

So, if it all seems slapped together, apparently it's because it really is.

The only saving grace here is that it might make way for Sonic to appear in Brawl... but even that seems doubtful now.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

If anything M&S Olympics makes it even less likely that Sonic is in Brawl. Why give fans the vastly superior (and much more desirous) option of duking it out with Mario and Sonic in actual combat when it could jeopardize sales numbers for their Olympic outing? Sonic in Brawl would completely overshadow Olympics. Well, more than it is already- and that's something I think Sega isn't keen on having.

And frankly, if Sonic was in Brawl I would completely forget about Olympics.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

I dunno if anyone can confirm the validity of this, but it seems real to me.

And I'd still buy Olympics if Sonic managed to get into Brawl.

THEbigLANDMAN

Post by THEbigLANDMAN »

Sniffnoy

Post by Sniffnoy »

Odd, no Espio.

Adamis

Post by Adamis »

Espio is a referee, as Charmy and Cream.

MiraiTails

Post by MiraiTails »

Yami CJMErl wrote:Image

If you glance quickly at the shot, the pointer makes it look kind of like Sonic's giving the finger...

At first, I was going to complain that Sonic's acceleration is so low, but isn't there a precedent for that in previous racing style games?

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Zeta wrote:This game instantly fails if Sonic actually wins the swimming competition.
Fix'd.
And we never know, maybe SEGA could... I don't know, pull a Homer and make the game almost worthy? Yeah, right.

Also, I'm fucking SICK of character types!

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Please, these are the types commonly used in Mario sports games.

A.K.A. WAY better than the "Speed-Power-Flight" types SEGA ushered in with Sonic Heroes and Sonic Riders.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Some further details have been revealed including a list of events that feature.
Fencing - Individual epée
Archery
Shooting - Skeet
Gymnastics - Trampoline
Gymnastics - Vault
Field - High Jump
Field - Pole Vault
Field - Long Jump
Field - Triple Jump
Field - Javelin Throw
Field - Hammer Throw
Rowing - Single Sculls
Table Tennis - Singles
Aquatics - 100m Freestyle
Aquatics - 4x100m Freestyle
Track - 110m and 400m Hurdles
Track - 4x100m Relay
Track -100m and 400m
Even with the Wii remote I really don't think a lot of those events work that well in a video game.
Additionally, gamers can learn about the history of the Olympic Games through trivia, quizzes, and mini-games and unlock all-new facts and figures from past Olympic Games in the Gallery.
Wow. I bet that's what everyone was hoping for in a Mario & Sonic crossover game.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Gaz wrote:Shooting - Skeet
Shadow can still cap his bities! The game is saved!

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Oh great, now instead of "omg shadow's in the game" bitchplainments, we'll be having "shadow has gunz again" bitchplainments.

That bit about the history of the Olympics reminds me a lot of the stickers and trophies from Smash Bros., though.

=/

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Yami CJMErl wrote:Oh great, now instead of "omg shadow's in the game" bitchplainments, we'll be having "shadow has gunz again" bitchplainments.
If Shadow is in the game... it will suck. No exceptions.

Not even SA2 (since it was showing symptoms of suck).

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Proof or- *SHOT before he could complete the phrase*

Yeah, one character does not a sucky game make. You aren't FORCED to use him, and he could have very probably been a different character. GET OVER IT.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

While Shadow does suck compared to a lot of the cast there, he's really no worse than Blaze, Waluigi, and Daisy. I find it surprising they couldn't even find 8 good Sonic characters to put in the game out of the 50 or whatever they have. ALSO LARGE LETTERS.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Now Vector on the other hand will make the game PWN! KUDOS to SEGA.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Yami CJMErl wrote:Yeah, one character does not a sucky game make.
I didn't say he was the one that made it sucky, just that Shadow only appears in games that suck. He's like some kind of herald of suck.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Sadly, Shadow's popularity grew because of Sonic Adventure 2:Battle. Shadow has become a big favorite among the new generation on Nintendo fans. Bleh!

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

Accurate history of Shadow's level of awesomeness

SA2: Fuggin awesome

Sonic heroes: Suck

ShTH: until the last few moments of the last story: please kill me

StH: closer to original goodness

The reason Shadow became popular (i think) was because in SA2 Shadow was for the most part silent and focused, he did not tolerate distraction or foolishness. Then he went emo for two games and attracted a a great deal of stench and unpleasant demographic. In StH06 though they brought him back to the focused don't f*** with me of SA2, he didn't talk to much and didn't say anything really freakin stupid, unlike Sonic.

And I hope the skeet shooting is accurate, I am a pretty decent skeet shooter and blasting clay birds With Shadow will be entertaining, I hope I can choose a Remington 870 or 1100.....
(for the record Shadow should never use a gun in a non sporting situation ever again)

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

So I'm sadly skipping the only two times Shadow wasn't a fag?
Also, may I remind everybody that he showed his ass in Sonic Battle, which was a... er, average game?