Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity Confirmed.

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Rlan
News Guy

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity Confirmed.

Post by Rlan »

EB games popped up with some SKUs for a game entitled "Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity" a few days ago.

User shidoshi on the NeoGAF forums, who works on the magazine "PLAY", had this to say:
Seeing as how you'll find a two-page preview on Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity (for PS2 and Wii) on pages 68 and 69 in our (Play) Sept 07 issue... I'd call this a pretty crappy "rumor." (or "rumour" if you'd like.)
Wahey! Will we see more useless characters added into the game? Will it not be horribly broken at it's core? Will they finally let go of the whole Speed / Flight / Power shenanigans they've been hanging onto since Sonic Heroes?

I'm guessing no, but time will tell.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

Why do I sense so much negativity?

Rlan
News Guy

Post by Rlan »

You don't have to sound so negative about it. I guess I say that because I quite liked Sonic Riders. People talk about broken and say Sonic Riders enemy AI was too difficult and a lot of vehicles/boards are too overtly powerful, but are these problems that glaring? It never bothered me at all when I played it...
When I played it I was fine with it, the problem is that they made what is essentially a Kart Racing game overly complicated.

"By the way guys, this guy can jump on these things, this character can punch these, and this character can jump off these ramps!".

Kart racers are meant to be something anyone can play. When you throw that stuff in your way it breaks it. Imagine trying to tell your friends about all the different stuff in the game before you start playing. "Keep it simple, stupid!"
Why do I sense so much negativity?
Because I'm an old fart now :) Plus with the last set of games, does anyone really think they'll address the problems with the game at all?

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Cuckooguy wrote:Why do I sense so much negativity?
This is the GHZ. We have a right to be cynical at any upcoming Sonic game.

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

The negativity of this place is something to relish. Never do i have to be hopeful about an upcoming Sonic Team game with these guys around.

And when something is stated to be good here, it often truly is good.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

I actually liked Riders. I did find the flight ramps annoying. It took me a while to figure out only Tails, Cream and Wave could fly through the ramps, and even longer to master the controls for flying.

But I liked the lightheartedness of the story, and the faical expressions the characters had. If they ditch the power/flight parts and just make it all speed, it should be better than the first.

I hope they keep the anime FMVs for the sequel, but considering this is probably a quickly developed $30 title, it probably won't.

I just hope they don't try to throw Shadow or Cream into the mix. I rather like the fact they weren't in the story mode of the original.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

In fact, the story mode of that game was absolute balls. It would be better not to have a piece of shit story like that, though I agree with the facial expressions bit.

So, should we start the wagering on the Wii remote controls already? Will they be stupid hard, or stupid-proof full-auto?
Last edited by Isuka on Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Forza Johnman

Post by Forza Johnman »

I liked Riders, I know it had its flaws but I really enjoyed it.

The story was crap and pointless, But I did like it. It was like a good Sonic X episode.

I doubt they'll add brand new characters to the game, but they will add Blaze, Silver, Omega and the Chaotix.

Wii controls will probably be ripped straight from Secret Rings.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Sonic Riders was a reasonably decent, enjoyable game but it had a lot of flaws and I can't say I'm particularly enthusiastic about the sequel.

I thought the story was total bollocks as well. I really don't understand why they felt the need to put a story in a racing game. The only real positive thing I can say about it was that at least it wasn't a serious story. I hope they don't bother with a story this time around though.

One element of the first game I did like was the Sega fanservice(Sega themed tracks, playable characters and so on). I'd like to see more of that in Zero Gravity.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Oompa Star
Now Playing: I'll be the only serious one and say Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect.

Post by Oompa Star »

That is not the first look at Sonic Riders I was expecting.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

It's baffling that they used the worst aspect of Heavenly Sword for the issue's cover, too.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

I know this'll never happen, but someone on a different forum I go to though it'd be neat if SEGA tried using that WiiFit balance board for Wii steering controls.

Other than that pipe dream, I just hope that if a Story Mode is included, it won't feature horribly broken A.I. competitors and semi-impossible challenges.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

I hope there's still Ulala.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Three Seven Speedway as an unlockable track might make this an instant buy.

Anyway <a href="http://www.sonicstadium.org/sonicnews/317/">according to TSS</a>, Sonic finds an artifact that can counteract gravity entirely. This attracts the attention of <strike>Dr. Eggman</strike> Jet the Hawk and the two fight over who should have it and they decide to race each other again over it. So yes, the crappy story mode RETURNS! And what's more there's promise of - you guessed it! - NEW CHARACTERS! D:

Turbulence is gone, apparently. Hopefully this means no more of that pit-stop bullcrap, and more actual racing. Also the first two stages are "Botanical Kingdom" and "Crimson Crater". Which implies that they're not reusing the same level tropes again, nope, no way.

Also the preview focuses on the PS2 version, so the Wii controls are up in the air. Go figure.

THEbigLANDMAN

Post by THEbigLANDMAN »

Thanks God it is for the wii, now I will blame the control instead of recognizing my fault of ability in the game xD

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Shadow Hog wrote: Anyway <a href="http://www.sonicstadium.org/sonicnews/317/">according to TSS</a>, Sonic finds an artifact that can counteract gravity entirely. This attracts the attention of <strike>Dr. Eggman</strike> Jet the Hawk and the two fight over who should have it and they decide to race each other again over it.
Am I missing something? Don't they all have hoverboards?

Soul
Now Playing: Dungeon Fighter Online

Post by Soul »

That they do. But maybe...bah, who am I kidding!? Not one ounce of explaination is gonna even save this story. Though, if you ask me, I'm more worried about the control scheme.

I'm not sure if other's feel the same way about this, but going back to the 1st Riders, I did not feel 100% about the way everybody played: jump at ramp, flick right thumbstick like crazy, hope to get a SS grade based on how quick your character can pull off their tricks.

Fun for those who never picked up a copy of Tony Hawk's (insert sequal title here), or the SSX series, or better yet, Coolboarders (before Coolboarders 2001 of course). Not for me. I don't even expect Zero Gravity to even slightly change this, let alone allow players to even customize tricks entirely.

And yeah, the -Type thing has to go, completly. Or, if you want to make things real instresting, replace the Speed/Fly/Power rankings with the three Gear types from the last game: Board, Bike & Boot (jet skates).

All three would work the same way, of course. It's how they all work that makes them different. I would explain the whole thing, but I'm sure you guys have enough imagination and/or ideas to put it together yourselves. I'll save that for the GameFAQs boards. *bang!*

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Soul wrote:All three would work the same way, of course. It's how they all work that makes them different.
So they will all work the same, and therefore how they work will make them different. They work the same, and yet that makes them different. Same is different.

*head explodes*

Soul
Now Playing: Dungeon Fighter Online

Post by Soul »

Okay, so I guess there is some explaination needed...I got the time, thankfully:

Gear Type: Board
The all-around Gear that works for all riders, but maily perfered by those who just like to 'keep it simple'. All ariels, spins, boardflips, grinds, wallrides & flatland tricks can be done with this Gear, as well as all other standard abblities the other two Gears have.

The difference, however, lies in the handling:
- Pump Action: let's you gain extra speed on straitaways without using the Boost abbility, though use is very limited.
- Lounge: let's you cut through wind resistance and pull in & out of slipstreams easily, as well as gives you even more speed on downhill sessions. Fair warning - Lounging cuts off control on turning and breaking SEVERLY.
- Board Snatch: this trick allows you to take another rider's Board from under their feet - on ground or in the air!
- Banking/Drift Turn: a.k.a the 'Bert Slide'. Cut around tight corners and never have to worry about losing your top speed...less you veer off too much around the bend...then you're screwed.
- Bail-Outs: used when you know a situation is about to get ugly, but want to land without breaking any bones. You'll loose any and all points you get with one or a string of tricks you build up by half the total score, but you won't loose your speed.

Gear Type: Boot
This is more of the 'variable' Gear, as obviously you can't pull of any of the tricks Board or Bike Gears can do. On the other hand, this gear let's riders expand on certian tricks like grind and ariels, let's you get added stats on wallrides as well as expand other abblities.

You also get exclusive skills none of the other Gears can get:
- Cess Slides: cuts back on speed, but allows complete control over turning without having to break. Also useful for getting under 'lowbridge' areas in a hurry, as well as clipping into Board and Boot riders.
- 'Magic' Tricks: smooth-as-butter abbility to transistion from one trick to another without taking your foot off the pipe or the pavement, when you want to build up that boost meter a little more in between big jumps.
- Tapping: allows you to spring off any surface or area without a hint of delay, moreso than even Bike Gears can do.

Gear Type:Bike
The 'hard' gear - limited on tricks and abblities, expansive on everything else. Wallrides get easier, jumps get higher and on top of it, you get to pull off the nastiest ariels around. The definate pick for all riders who want to go 'balls out' on the course.

Although there's not many skills for Bike Gears, nor that they differer from what skills it has, there is one exclusive:
- Resistance: it'll take a car crash to knock you down, because with this skill, riders'll have a hard time knocking you off your seat. You'll be able to withstand and plow through almost everything that comes at you...but don't get cocky: you won't be able to smash through a truck.

Okay, now that that's been laid out, hopefully this makes sense to you all. Now I gotta get ready for work tonight - laters.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

THEbigLANDMAN wrote:Thanks God it is for the wii, now I will blame the control instead of recognizing my fault of ability in the game xD
Obviously, you are a true game journalist at heart.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

The Zero-Gravity subtitle tells me this game might play like Rollcage for Ps1, only with hoverboards. Just a thoery.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Rollcage was awesome, by the way. One of the many times I'd play a futuristic racing game and ask myself, "Why don't Sonic games play like this? Why do loops and corkscrews always have to be scripted when games like these do them so flawlessly without the need for scripts?"

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

It's pretty similar to F-Zero X/ GX in more than one way, I'm not sure if having those interactive corkscrew segments in a 3D Sonic platformer would make it any better or worse, tough it would be a little more interesting.
Soul wrote:- Board Snatch: this trick allows you to take another rider's Board from under their feet - on ground or in the air!
This one sounds great, but only if we keep the air meter mechanic. Say, if you steal someone's board you'll have the same amount of air that the other player had at the moment you grabbed it, so you could get a nasty surprise if you "do it wrong".
What's more, it'd totally rock if you could steal everyone's gear, so you would change all your strategy within the same race, earning the game the title of the craziest racer evur!. That, and Gear pimpin'.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Shadow Hog wrote:Stardust Speedway + Metal Sonic as an unlockable track might make this an instant buy.
Fixed.
Forza Johnman wrote:I doubt they'll add brand new characters to the game, but they will add Blaze, Silver, Omega and the Chaotix.
The following is a complete list of games that DON'T introduce a new hero or villain.

Sonic Eraser
The kiddy ride games
Sonic 1 & 2 (GG)
Sonic & Tails 1
Spinball
Sonic Drift 1 & 2
Gameworld and Music Maker
Labyrinth
Flickies' island (unless you count the new flickies)
G Sonic
Schoolhouse
Pocket Adventure
Advance 1
Pinball Party

The only first party titles are Eraser, the Drift games, Spinball, and Labyrinth.