Sonic the Hedgehog on XBLA tonight

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Sonic the Hedgehog on XBLA tonight

Post by Segaholic2 »

Announced during Microsoft's press conference, Sonic the Hedgehog and Golden Axe will be available on XBLA tonight.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

EXCITEMENT.

NO NOT REALLY.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

I'd be more interested if (1) I owned a 360, and/or (2) I didn't already own Sonic Mega Collection (or Mega Collection + for the PS2/XBOX owners).

Rlan
News Guy

Post by Rlan »

Alright, heres some additional info for the SEGA nerds out there:

A) Golden Axe is the arcade version of Golden Axe, NOT the Genesis version, hooray! Better sound, better graphics, and the weird-arse ending sequence. I believe it's just the regular 'world' version of the game - there is a rare Japanese version which contains some additional blood and gore bits that was only found recently.

B) Sonic is entirely emulated - you do not get the introduction screen, you start straight from Green Hill Zone [Due to Not allowing cheats for the Leaderboards]. It's the original American Sonic 1 version - meaning no Japanese paralax clouds in GHZ, and no fix for the spike 'problem', where you are not invunerable for a few seconds.

Still, it's 400 points each. That's a BARGIN, really.

Here are the Sonic Achievements:

-Beat Green Hill Zone
-Get 100 rings
-Get a Chaos Emerald
-Beat GHZ Act 1 in 35 seconds
-Beat Marble Zone Act 1 in 80 seconds
-Get to Spring Yard Zone
-Get to Labryinth Zone
-Get to Starlight Zone
-Get to Scrap Brain Zone
-Get every Chaos Emerald
-Beat the game
-Beat the game in 40 minutes
-Beat they game without dying(!!!)

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

According to Sega Japan, Sonic 2 (along with several other titles) will soon be available on the service.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

It's the original American Sonic 1 version - meaning no Japanese paralax clouds in GHZ, and no fix for the spike 'problem', where you are not invunerable for a few seconds.
The original Japanese version is like that, too. The spike bug fix and extra parallax were added in a later (more common, apparently) Japanese version. Mighty peculiar that they'd use V1.0 for this, though.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Having played it, I can say Sega still doesn't know how to emulate the Genesis sound hardware. There's a strange amount of garbage noise when certain sounds play at times, plus the pitch and tone on a lot of sounds is all over the place. Besides that... it's Sonic with a smoothing filter. Can't imagine why they didn't just disable leaderboards an achievements if you put in a cheat code, though. I know a few other XBLA games and even stuff like Saints Row go "OMG! IF YOU ENABLE THIS CHEAT, YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO SAVE YOUR GAME OR GET ACHIEVEMENTS. ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO CHEAT?"

Golden Axe works beautifully, though. Even has an "enhanced sound" option, whatever that means.

Oddly, Sonic lets you clear Green Hill before booting you out to the menu, but Golden Axe lets you play nearly half the game (up to the end of level 5) before kicking you out.

Parn

Post by Parn »

BlazeHedgehog wrote:Even has an "enhanced sound" option, whatever that means.
Reverb x 10. It makes the sound worse from what I can tell.

PSMad

Post by PSMad »

Being the obsessed fan I am I downloaded this last night I prefer it to the Wii version. It looks a lot better on my HDTV than the Wii version anyway. I'm a little troubled at the fact this is the 5th time at least I've bought Sonic 1 (Megadrive, Saturn, X-Box, Wii and 360) and that I did so without hesitation!

Another annoying thing is over the years I've done everything on the achievement list hundreds of times over already.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Achievements list wrote:-Beat Green Hill Zone
´Д`

Though, now seriously speaking, I don't remember how much time it took me to beat it, with all 6 Chaos Emeralds.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I think I've only ever beaten it with all the emeralds a couple of times.

Parn

Post by Parn »

Sega games in general just seem to have easy achievements on 360. Heck, all you have to do in Phantasy Star Universe is clear the game and you get a full 1000 points.

THEbigLANDMAN

Post by THEbigLANDMAN »

The game has a save option anywhere just like any other emulator, achievements like "don't die", "all emeralds" and "under 40 min" are just stupid with that option

Would have hurt them to add a Time Attack for each zone just like in sonic Jam? that could add some competition in the leatherboards, and what are those 9.999.990 points in the first place???? HAX I SAY >.>

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

There's a ton of complaints going around that the leaderboard is completely glitched up, and is submitting random scores instead.

PSMad

Post by PSMad »

Aaah, has anyone used the 'smooth' mode I think it is. The game looks all odd and almost cell shaded. Makes the levels looks nice but Sonic looks almost melted.