Sonic Rush Adventure E3 thread

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Forza Johnman

Post by Forza Johnman »

I dislike Shadow, mostly because whenever he appears; (with the exception of Heroes) he is either causing or preventing catastrophic doom on the whole planet. Its just a bit over-dramatic.

To be honest the only characters that have put me off, design wise, are Marine, Silver and Blaze.

Silver mostly because he just is a bit ugly with that giant cannabis leaf on his head and that black eye shadow. And Blaze, I just don't like her really and I'm not sure what it is on her head, are they feathers or dreadlocks spiked up? Marine just looks a bit too much like Cream really rather than anything that is off putting.

Big kicks arse.

Also, am I sad for somewhat looking forward to the RPG-lite sections of the game?

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

I think that the plot twists in Sonic Adventure (involving Chaos and Tikal) and Sonic Adventure 2 (involving Shadow and the whole ARK/ GUN thing) were pretty cool and original, the only problem is that all those new characters (including Rouge) served a single purpose in a single story and after that were rendered useless, cumbersome, irrelevant and even redundant, like it seems will also happen with Blaze in Rush Adventure.
And the plot twists certainly grew tiring, it would be really neat to have a simplistic, minimal yet interesting plot with few all-purpose characters again, if only to remember better days.
Last edited by Isuka on Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

cjmcray wrote:He's a evil doppelganger of the title character.
There was Silver Sonic, Metal Sonic, Mecha Sonic...

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Shadow is the Anti-Hero of this series.

PS. Silver Sonic = Mecha Sonic MK I.

b_boult

Post by b_boult »

The trailer's been released, and you'll find it here: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/pl ... le&id=1005

There's also some screens here: http://uk.media.ds.ign.com/media/900/900363/imgs_1.html

The trailer has taken me by surprise actually. I've kind of had my doubts about this game and how well it would turn out from the start (and with good reason really, considering who's making it), and while I do still have a few concerns, that video is extremely promising and full of eye candy.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I'm still not sold on the stage art, primarily because of the stylistic decision to put black outlines on everything. But otherwise, I think it looks pretty fun!

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Is it me or do the stages look Marioesque?

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

Dasher wrote:Shadow is the Anti-Hero of this series.

PS. Silver Sonic = Mecha Sonic MK I.
I liked when Knuckles was the anti-heto.

Oh... and it does look a bit Marioesque...

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Personally I think it looks a lot like the Klonoa GBA games, mainly because of the black outlines, pastel backgrounds, and sort of vaguely fantasy-esque environments.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Putting a generic Game Boy Advance platform game screenshot against a generic DS platform game screenshot side-by-side surely is enlightening... They look the damn same!

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Well, I actually quite like the Klonoa GBA games! But they do have a sort of sterile, obviously grid-based look to them. Still, it's a bit more suitable in a puzzle-oriented platformer, and a bit more excusable in a six-year-old game on an older piece of hardware, than it is in a new DS game like Rush Adventure.

But man, even beyond being a bit generic... the outlines, the shading, the block-based foregrounds on the flat "painted" fantasy backgrounds... they share a VERY similar look, don't you think?

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Yeah, now that u mention it looks like Klonoa levels a bit, specially because of those dark lines and "fantastic" designs.

PS. Knuckles was more of a confused Hero in Sonic 3, he later was more of a loner because he is a guardian to the Master Emerald. A loner but not so much, hes always been sorta a Partner to Sonic and Tails.

And now well, lets just say the Master Emerald must have another protection, heheheh.

Rlan
News Guy

Post by Rlan »

Well there is a fella who's reviewing the game that's let out a few tidbits. May be spoilers ahead!

1) Naganuma is not involved in the music at all. Teruhiko Nakagawa [ie; Blaze remixer in the original] is listed as Sound Director, and Tomoya Ohtani, Seirou Okamoto, and Mariko Nanba as Music Composers. Not as good as Sonic Rush [expected, really]

2) Despite saying otherwise, Dimps made the game.

2) Game plays just like Sonic Rush, maybe a bit easier and more forgiving. A plus!

3) 3D levels are fun, play very similarly to the 3D Special Stages in Rush, only need to play once to get to a level. This is how you collect 'Emeralds' - Johnny challenges you for emeralds.

4) If you suck at the game you will need to replay some levels. Tails required 'Metals' and getting good rankings gives you more metals.

5) Ludicrous amounts of cutscenes and 'story', but can be skipped for the most part. Marine's a pain in the arse. Sonic & Tails warp to Blaze's world - Whiskers being the Eggman of their world apparently. Nega hasn't shown up yet

6) Level gimmicks include a 3D rail ride. Nothing slow like Mirage Road [yet]

7) Some enemies require multiple hits, but rare.

8) Wifi - you can race people online, and upload scores to worldwide rankings. Apparently only shows the top 3 players though - I'd imagine the website would show more?

Also, EGM reviewed the game in their latest review - giving it a 7.5, 7 and 7. They gave the first game straight 8's.

EspioKaos

Post by EspioKaos »

Rlan wrote: 1) Naganuma is not involved in the music at all. Teruhiko Nakagawa [ie; Blaze remixer in the original] is listed as Sound Director, and Tomoya Ohtani, Seirou Okamoto, and Mariko Nanba as Music Composers. Not as good as Sonic Rush [expected, really]
Sweet! I mean, for the sake of continuity with the first Rush, Naganuma would've been ideal, but I love the work that each of those composers have done -- Ohtani and Nanba, especially.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Do Sonic or Blaze have any new moves? They played a lot too similar for me in the first Rush.

Rlan
News Guy

Post by Rlan »

Sonic & Blaze play similarly like the original, and have the same differences. If you ever play Time Attack with both characters you notice the differences a lot more. ie; Blaze has a much higher R+Up jump, she's got a slower speed, and can hover for a second or two.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

Maybe Blaze has a mech now?

Rlan
News Guy

Post by Rlan »

Here is the EGM review:

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Jeremy: WAH WAH WHY IS THIS NOT FAST BITCH BITCH BITCH MOAR SPEED DAMMIT GRRGH. 7.5
Somebody had to say it, and no better man to BS than him.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Oh no, because a game that is very likely very mediocre shouldn't get very mediocre reviews.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Sure it is, but Jeremy Parish is the shining example of why practically nobody in the press should ever be let near a Sonic game and then a keyboard/camera.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Yeah, I don't get the "<i>Sonic</i> is only fun when I'm going fast" opinion the press keeps spouting.

Which reminds me, I need to finish <i>Nothing But Speed</i>. Damn, I've really dropped the ball with that one.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

FlashTHD wrote:Sure it is, but Jeremy Parish is the shining example of why practically nobody in the press should ever be let near a Sonic game and then a keyboard/camera.
He's... an example of why people shouldn't review Sonic games?

Seriously though, I'm not sure what the hell his deal with the exploration segments is. It really does sound like he's taking issue with a feature he admits to be fun but hey it's not super fast and it's a Sonic game so it's BAD. The third reviewer is particularly confusing, though- he praises it much more openly and with more enthusiasm than Parish, but gives it a lower score. Also,
"Need for Speed: Never more obvious than here"
Oog.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

It's quite funny that people all over the world think that Sonic's gameplay catch was/ is just keepin' the D-pad's right button pressed and ocassionally pressing another button for jumping, since that'll never get you too far in the original games (maybe just Emerald Hill, but nowhere else). It looks like none of them beat those games even once, but they still get paid for spewing worthless shite over what's supposedly wrong with the series.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

A 7's a damn decent game. A 7 is what I want from Sonic in target and execution for a little while. Until Sega can prove that they're capable of putting in the elbow grease of coming out with anything higher, it might be a good niche of them to be "the company that makes the good games" instead of the "company that tries for incredible but are just kidding themselves."