Sonic Rush Adventure E3 thread

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Rlan
News Guy

Post by Rlan »

I like the light-heartedness of the whole thing, especially Marine's incredibly thick Aussie accent. Odd choice of being a Raccoon though - we don't have them here. She could have been a Possum pretty easily, less stripes and you're done.

The pictures in the story mode seems to show they're going for full cutscenes now, which looks great. I do hope that this whole thing isn't just some bullshit Nega Eggman threw up though.

And only Sonic & Blaze are playable, thank fuck.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I wish it had been Marine the Platypus, now.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

Rlan wrote:And only Sonic & Blaze are playable, thank fuck.
Are you sure you can't spot the problem there?

I have not actually played Sonic Rush on a DS to judge it fairly, but from videos and screen shots I thought the game looked rather dull and generic. The entire game reminds me of "Toy Kingdom" from Sonic Advance 3, so it's more childish/lame than light-hearted. Also the pirate theme only seems to add to this.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

I'm clueless to how anyone could think that Rush feels like Toy Kingdom in style. Both Music Plant and Toy Kingdom in Advance 2 and 3 respectively were concepts I considered to be entirely wrongly executed in a Sonic title and thought they felt completely out of place, however there's nothing about Rush at all that even remotely gives me that same feeling.

Rush's level design is hardly "inspiring" but I think calling it "dull" is quite a stretch. I would say it's a game where you have to get a feel for the speed and boost oriented gameplay before you can really appreciate how the quality of its stages though.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Kogen wrote:

I have not actually played Sonic Rush on a DS to judge it fairly, but from videos and screen shots I thought the game looked rather dull and generic. The entire game reminds me of "Toy Kingdom" from Sonic Advance 3, so it's more childish/lame than light-hearted. Also the pirate theme only seems to add to this.
I'm not sure how bolding the word "Blaze" relates at all to what you're talking about.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

He probably means that it isn't a Sonic solo adventure?

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Kogen wrote:

at least 50% of the levels for Sonic, I see no problem.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Maybe comparing it to Toy Kingdom wasn't the best way to describe all of it. It just doesn't seem Sonic-y to me. There are too many bold solid colours, things seem bland and cartoonish, ect. If this was a Kirby game it'd be fine, but it's just not the same style Sonic games usually have.

The Blaze comment was about Blaze being a terrible character who is on the same level as Shadow, so I'd assume not many people beyond Simon's '12 and under' fan group would enjoy her. It was fine before when they used Tails, Knuckles, and Amy - not so much Cream.

And Arcade, 50% may be good for people with severe retardation like yourself, but most of us would prefer 100% or at least have it divided up with something that doesn't suck. It's like plopping fresh goat shite right next to your steak when you'd rather have potatoes or something.

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

Seeing as you never really played Sonic Rush, you might be surprised to find that Blaze controls almost exactly like Sonic, and has a decent storyline (at least in Rush, I can't speak for 2K6). Additionally, all the levels in Rush (of which there were many) were playable with both characters, so if you really hated Blaze's design that much, you could just ignore her. I'm guessing said trend will probably continue in Adventure, so calm down, and maybe stop calling people retards when you don't have all the facts.

b_boult

Post by b_boult »

Kogen wrote:Maybe comparing it to Toy Kingdom wasn't the best way to describe all of it. It just doesn't seem Sonic-y to me. There are too many bold solid colours, things seem bland and cartoonish, ect. If this was a Kirby game it'd be fine, but it's just not the same style Sonic games usually have.
This seriously doesn't make any sense. One minute the colours are too bold for you, the next they're too bland, and then they're cartoonish? And all in one sentence, amazing really. The reality is this, the game is not cartoony in its presentation, especially compared to the advance series (particularly 2 and 3), and is probably the most "realistic" looking Sonic game in a long while. I have a nagging feeling you've simply taken a look at the recent Sonic Rush Adventure pictures, which do appear more cartoony, and deduced this of the original game too without actually looking at it for a while.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

I did play it, but on an emulator which was going at about 1/4th the speed(stopped at the boss). Though I already guessed Blaze played the exact same except for some hover move people mentioned and likely no homing attack. I should read the script later, but from comments I've read the story is about the power of friendship, alternate dimensions, and the latest recolour named Eggman Nega - this just doesn't seem good for a first impression. I'm also assuming like the Advance games that you'd have to play as the other character to unlock things and get the final story mode. So unless that's completely wrong, you do have to play as Blaze for everything besides just doing time trials/repeating Sonic's story. And I'll 'calm down(whatever that's referring to)' when things stop looking terrible. Blaze the time travelling fire cat princess still seems like crap to me and I 'd rather not even have to see such characters continue to pop up when they're not needed - if you like her fine, but I certainly don't.

I've seen others make similar comments to Arcade and thought it was okay, though I'm wrong apparently(sorry Arcade!).

As for what b_boult said. Why can't the level graphics be all three of those? It's not like it's all a single square which can only have a single attribute. You were right about me misjudging Sonic Rush due to Sonic Rush Adventure, it isn't as bad. But http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/20 ... een008.jpg for example does look like crap to me, as does the water stage. The desert stage, while good looking, seems generic. I'd also say Sonic Next-gen and Sonic Wii look much more realistic than Sonic Rush does. Though that itself is still a problem.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Your distaste for the game is a little unsettling seeing as you have barely played it and are already committed to hating it.

As far as the art style goes, its much better in motion, trust me. Taking a screen cap would not do the game justice.

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

Kogen: so you've played Rush at 1/4 speed, which isn't going to give an accurate impression by any means. Yes, you do have to play as Blaze if you want to beat the final (incredibly hard) boss. She's not as iconic as Sonic of course, but she's not Shadow by a long shot.

And yes, bold and bland are completely different things.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Frankly, the one thing I currently passionately dislike is Marine's dialog. I'm going by all of two lines, of course, so maybe they just chose the worst possible lines to represent her with, but out of those two lines, I'd say they did a bonzer job of making her an utterly unlikeable caricature.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Maybe she'll get killed by a stingray halfway through the game? CRIKEY.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

Seeing that she's unplayable, it's safe(or hope) to assume that she's a one-shot character like Shara, Elise, Tikal(2-player SA2 doesn't count) etc.

Something similarly related, but it annoys me that the handheld Sonic games uses multiple characters with their own special gimmicks, but the level design never really accommodated them like it did in Sonic 3&K. They are all playing Sonic's levels. It just seemed like a waste of potential, a cheap way of lengthing the games, and a possible case of fandom wankery. That said, SRA probably won't be an exception(it would be nice to be proven wrong) as going by the gist of the story, it really does sorta sound like Blaze is shoehorned in this game unneccessarily. *shrugs*

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Zeta wrote:Maybe she'll get killed by a stingray halfway through the game? CRIKEY.
That is just wrong.

I actually have some sort of good feeling about this game, which has become more and more uncommon lately.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Ngangbius wrote:Seeing that she's unplayable, it's safe(or hope) to assume that she's a one-shot character like Shara, Elise, Tikal(2-player SA2 doesn't count) etc.
I wouldn't bet on that. Elise will probably be cast into the void along with everything else related to last year's seismic ruin, but I could see them reusing Shara for a sequel. The only animals never reused are Bark, Bean, Ray, and Tikal (don't forget her cameo in Pinball Party!), and Tikal is the only precedent we have for an unplayable animal character.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Tikal was playable in Sonic Adventure 2 for multiplayer though, if that really counts. I kind of see this character staying where she is unless another game takes place with this island, so probably only seen in another handheld game.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Frieza2000 wrote:Elise will probably be cast into the void along with everything else related to last year's seismic ruin
Isn't Silver already in Rivals 2?

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Yes he is.

Also, no one can beat Shadow in terms of out-and-out useless characters. I see him as little more than a mindfuck to a series that was, once upon a time, simplistic and carefree in its nature. I miss the days were the biggest worry of the game was Eggman trapping animals into robots and finding Chaos Emeralds.

Also, Blaze looks like gold compared to Amy the bitch, who seriously needs to be dropped out of the franchise already. Along with Cream.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

*hmph* :p

However, I agree on your sentiments on Cream. That and Shadow's introduction "serious angst" really did seem like a definative shark-jumping moment of the franchise.

Someone I know from another board pointed out that Marine supposedly has a Kansai dialect in the JP version of this game. I guess Sega decided to go on a different route when dealing with characters that have that certain accent in Japanese media by giving her an Aussie accent instead of using a US southerner one.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Ngangbius wrote:Someone I know from another board pointed out that Marine supposedly has a Kansai dialect in the JP version of this game. I guess Sega decided to go on a different route when dealing with characters that have that certain accent in Japanese media by giving her an Aussie accent instead of using a US southerner one.
Given the stable of actors Sega's been using for the Sonic series, we'll be lucky if any of them can pull off any kind of accent.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Tsuyoshi-kun wrote:Yes he is.

Also, no one can beat Shadow in terms of out-and-out useless characters.
I don't know about that. Sure, he got really annoying once they brought him back from the dead for Heroes, but he still serves a purpose. He's the evil doppelganger of the title character. Not exactly a character with depth, (anymore, anyway) but certainly a lot more useful in storylines than say, Cream, the Rabbit toddler who CANNOT DO ANYTHING. Or Silver, which is basically a doppelganger of another doppelganger. If Shadow's role was more of a henchman to Dr Eggman, like in SA2, I think i'd like him a lot more. In SA2, he and Eggman had a lot of chemistry together. He just needs to stop whining, carrying guns, and riding motorcycles. He could be a lot more likable then. Oh, and no more of this ARK business. I don't want to know about Shadow's past anymore, or about GUN. Just use the ARK as a new Death Egg.

I find characters like Silver, Cream, Marine (from what i've seen anyway), Storm, Charmy, Blaze, (she looks like a fan-character from TeamArtail or DA) and Big, far more useless than Shadow.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

But wouldn't Metal Sonic make Shadow the doppelganger of a doppelganger, thus making Silver even more pointless. Metal Sonic fits the role of Eggman's henchman much better than Shadow does, plus he's better looking. While he is better than the ones you listed, he's still not needed and there's someone better to fill the space.