NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams E3 thread

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Also, Metroid Prime 3.
Ehh...i'm not that familiar with the remote, but i've played that a couple times at Gamestop over the past week and the aiming's been annoying to get the hang of for one reason or another. Also, if you try playing the GC Primes and then this one, you can feel for yourself how bad the dead space between the buttons on the remote can be.

Still a great game, just with bitchy handling (at least, I pray, to Wii remote newbs).

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

gr4yJ4Y wrote: Who knows? Maybe Sega is turning over a new leaf and actually trying to make a good game. I'm sure even Sega must be beginning to realize by now that they have to listen to their customers if they want to stay in business. And this looks like their biggest title for the fiscal year.
Both the Western releases of Sonic Heroes and Sonic the Hedgehog were delayed from a pre-Christmas release to early January (which would be classed as Q1). I think it’s the same case here – NiGHTS will probably be released a few weeks after Christmas, which won’t give time for any major improvements. ^_^

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

3+ months isn't enough time for a game that's been in development for what I think is only about a year to make any significant improvements?

Sonic Heroes took longer due to it being ported to other systems, the GC release was earlier. Sonic the Hedgehog 06 was due to the PS3 version, the 360 was earlier. NiGHTS is on a single platform, so it can only be developments. There is enough time for them to be significant/major.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

FlashTHD wrote:
Also, Metroid Prime 3.
Ehh...i'm not that familiar with the remote, but i've played that a couple times at Gamestop over the past week and the aiming's been annoying to get the hang of for one reason or another. Also, if you try playing the GC Primes and then this one, you can feel for yourself how bad the dead space between the buttons on the remote can be.

Still a great game, just with bitchy handling (at least, I pray, to Wii remote newbs).
I have it now and it plays like pure sex. Seriously, I'd had my doubts, especially since Metroid Prime was never a free-aim styled game to begin with, but it works amazingly well.

But I can't imagine trying to play it standing up, though! I'm assuming that's the only way you'd be able to play at a demo unit. I'd never be able to use the pointer comfortably if I couldn't rest my hand on my legs (like I would while using any other console controller.)

Do it that way, with the sensitivity cranked to expert, and you'll be flying around like a pro with easy, tiny gestures. It is so awesome.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Japanese Trailer

Japanese site for the game is up

The music on the site sounds good.

Trace

Post by Trace »

Oh god, not 'Dreams, Dreams' again. The music on the site is nice though, shame about the music/gameplay in the trailer

b_boult

Post by b_boult »

Shame about the release date too. I just hope the video is old.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

It's been the longest since I last heard Dreams Dreams, and I'm already tired of it again. Man, it's really worn out, we need a new theme song for the game. And the site's BGM is quite good for menu music, it doesn't get annoying for me.

And maybe they plan on releasing an International version of the game later on in Japan?

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

They say the acrobatics are back, but I dont see em on any trailer thats out, were are they and how will the be executed on the Wii remote I wonder.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

http://gonintendo.com/?p=24872

Apparently IGN will be debuting a new trailer sometime tonight, one that contains lots of new footage that is 'looking better'. (One can only hope.)

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

Well, the trailer is up. Game's still looking sparse as hell.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Agreed. It just looks barren as hell. And the children look souless.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I don't think it looks any less dense/complex than the original as far as actual gameplay object placement goes. But the environments themselves do look pretty empty in places. And of course the whole thing still looks mysterious underwhelming on a technical level, "even for a Wii game."

The kids do look pretty dead behind the eyes, but they did last time as well. The Japanese only seem to like using CG to make giant doll people.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Besides a couple bad choices in videoing (that section in the beanstalk stage with nothing in it at all is pretty sad, maybe it was cleared out earlier?) I am thinking the game is really about as packed as the first one, but because you're stuck seeing the rest of the level fly past in the background, rather than the slick 2D backdrops they used in the first game. The "behind NiGHTS" sections in the cave look as "full" as they did on the Saturn.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Yeah! I think generally the problem is that the environments behind you just aren't that interesting looking in a lot of places, and a lot of that has to do with how simple they are geometrically.

As for the art direction, while it's pretty faithful to the look of the original, it is definitely a lot more conservative and less imaginative in it's execution. (Although I do really like the look of the Gulpo boss stage!) The technical shortcomings would be more forgiving if the areas were more exciting to look at!

How about that crazy pimped out Reala, though, eh? They really DID give him some bling... it's just 18th century French homosexual bling.

(No offense to any 18th century French homosexuals.)

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Kogen wrote:Sonic Heroes took longer due to it being ported to other systems, the GC release was earlier.
Except all three versions were released on the same day in Japan and Europe. Only in America was the GC version released separately from the PS2 and X-BOX versions.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Reala looks like shit, he doesnt even look like Reala anymore, he looks like a red Nights clone on crack. He lost his Hat, he lost the yellow claws and he looks gay.

My hopes of the game being good went down by a million.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

There's something sort of odd about NiGHTS's animation in the cg sequences- especially at the end when he uses his legs like... legs. NiGHTS having contact with solid ground just seems sort of weird to me.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Yeah, he's somehow less mysterious and more, I dunno, gay or something.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

...I distinctly remember a piece of official artwork from the original NiGHTS showing him standing upright.

THEbigLANDMAN

Post by THEbigLANDMAN »

I see hands, and pink eyes in the center of every one of them :)

I like this trailer a lot, it is totally oposite from the E3 one, for the fisrt time I think sega is doing things right, see, even Q Entertaiment is making a REZ HD, why shouldn't be this Nights a great game?

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

Oh hey, I just noticed that's Wizeman in the background

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

He lost his Hat
What hat is that exactly?

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Last edited by Dasher on Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

So Black Doom is playing the part of Reala?