NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams E3 thread

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

And pointless. Dang it, Nintendo, nothing ruins a good game by chugging out several versions of the same game over and over again. That's why I stopped caring about Mario Party in 2001, and the sports titles after Mario Golf 64.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

So now we're discussing Nintendo's "Capcom syndrome"... cool.
Zeta wrote:If you think about it, the Japanese really hate everything 3D. The Playstation 1 Age must have been rough on them.
They played almost completely different titles than we did, didn't they? That was the big coming of the girlfriend simulators, and they kept playing shooters and fighting games both in 2D and 3D. That would explain the Saturn's considerable success there.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

The Japanese don't hate everything 3D. They still go gaga over 3D Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Japanese people suck.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I wouldn't even count Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy as 3-D perse, since you can move in as many directions in those games as you could if they were still done with hand-drawn sprites. There's no real third dimension, just a flat plane.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

That changes everything

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

They loved DQ since the beginning of times, it's almost a custom over there... but they do buy titles like Gran Turismo too, so it has more to do with particular tastes than with 3D or 2D after all.

Whatever, their sales charts more often than not suck.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

But our sales charts aren't that much better are they? Recently, there has been a huge bitchfest at neogaf among PS3 owners who slammed other PS3 owners because the PS3 version of Assassins Creed selling much more than Uncharted and Ratchet & Clank:ToD.

Judging by their furor and how much love Uncharted seems to get from the internet community, I guess it would be the equivilant of Mario & Sonic Olympics outselling Mario Galaxy.
Zeta wrote:I wouldn't even count Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy as 3-D perse, since you can move in as many directions in those games as you could if they were still done with hand-drawn sprites. There's no real third dimension, just a flat plane.
So how do you explain their love for Ryu ga Gotoku and Virtua Fighter?

Gaz

Re:

Post by Gaz »

Ngangbius wrote:Judging by their furor and how much love Uncharted seems to get from the internet community, I guess it would be the equivilant of Mario & Sonic Olympics outselling Mario Galaxy.
The ironic thing is that is what actually seems to have happened in the UK. Galaxy peaked at something like No 5 in the all formats chart and has sold fairly well but not exactly amazingly for a game of it's quality whereas Mario & Sonic has been something of a surprise hit that's managed to reach No 1 in the all format chart and stands a good chance of being the Christmas No 1.

Shadow Hog

Re: NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams E3 thread

Post by Shadow Hog »

Now that we're back, I'd like to point out that the game's out in the US. Has anyone tried it, and how good is it? So far it sounds like the flying is spot-on (although better with an analog stick, surprise surprise), but the platforming is pants. I want to rent this one, myself...

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Mostly I've heard the platforming and voices are pants. The flying stages, bosses, and everything else are worthy of the original game. And the multiplayer is supposed to be a blast.

Also, it turns out the Persona system is how to get the alternate routes in the stages. Who could have guessed?

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

I've started a thread for general discussion about Journey of Dreams in the open forum.

Next time we do a game news thread like this can we just call it "GAME TITLE: LATEST NEWS"? This one got kind of old after a while.

rocksparow

Post by rocksparow »

I find the voice charming. Particularly in a world of trailers that are about having the biggest explotions or the most characters in an online world, it's nice to see something more (classic) Disney-like.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

HEY I GET TO REMEMBER THIS GAME AGAIN OH BOY

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

My aunt was a big fan of the original. 'Bout 2 years ago, she mentioned having to pick up this one, and took offense when I said it was kind of crap. Couple of months ago I unwittingly brought up Nights again only for her to say that -- and she was sure -- that it came out last year and she has to pick it up. Not sure if this is some kind of coping mechanism on her part, or I've discovered another silver-lining to senility.