NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams E3 thread

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

True, but that doesn't mean it wasn't fun. You probably don't like it, though. You don't seem to like practically anything.

Plorpus III

Post by Plorpus III »

I played the game at TGS yesterday. (Though it feels like far more since I just got back from Japan)
It does play like the original, though I don't know why people seem to think it's a bad thing. There were 3 levels to choose from, each wih its own boss. The first one was Alps Chase, with Helen, the next that desert park level with Will, and the last was Will's version of Alps Chase (May have been the same level, but I'm pretty sure it at least had a different name. Don't remember.)
The end of Alps Chase had you fight the Puffy-clone, Will's version pitted you against the gulpo-clone (It's name was something completely different, but again, I don't remember what.), and the park level's boss was a chameleon dressed as a magician that used cards, so I suppose it could be considered a Jackal-clone.
Everyone already knows about the whole catch-the-bird 3 times thing and Puffo (just go with the name ok), so I'll just explain the other 2 bosses.
The giant fish is the one I fought against, and he's pretty simple. He hides in the floor as a glow or a 2-D texture of sorts and leaps out to try and bite you. When he does, you have to hit him with a paraloop, which makes him split into a bunch of multicolored particles that you're supposed to suck up with your paraloop before he re-forms. When he does, he gets smaller and smaller as the amount of particles dwindles, kind of like Gillwing.
The chameleon boss looked more interesting. The boss-intro shows him appear, flash a hand of cards and throw them, then he blends in with the glowing blue background. You fly around, passing giant cards that are laid upon the backdrop. When you paraloop them, they flip over and disappear. You have to find the one that he's hiding behind and flip it over, I think. That's just what I picked up from some of the people ahead of me in line.

I'm glad they brought pians back in the levels, although I'm not sure if you can really interact with them at all (didn't try). Sega's TGS brochure mentions something called "My Dream" and shows in-game Helen with a bunch of them, though. I don't know if it's a chao-garden kind of thing or not.
The only complaint I really have from playing it is that the controls feel way too sensitive. You pretty much seem to go full-speed in the direction you tilt the analog pad. It's been a very long time since I played NiGHTS, though, maybe it was always like that? Regardless, I did get used to it after a while of playing.
...I'm not really sure if this made any sense since I've been up for 36 hours, but I figured I might as well post anyway.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Tsuyoshi-kun wrote:True, but that doesn't mean it wasn't fun. You probably don't like it, though. You don't seem to like practically anything.
If you enjoy paying money to play the exact same game, sure, it could be fun.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

was it fun? did it make you happy?

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Double-S- wrote:
Tsuyoshi-kun wrote:True, but that doesn't mean it wasn't fun. You probably don't like it, though. You don't seem to like practically anything.
If you enjoy paying money to play the exact same game, sure, it could be fun.
You can even say that about most any franchise, though. I mean, look at the 16-bit Sonic games. They all revolve around the same premise: run from one side of the level to the next in a time limit. And they later threw in "gimmicks" such as flying and gliding to said destination points.

Also, I'm not the one who had an orgasm over how awesome Phantasy Star Universe (a sad retread of Phantasy Star Online) when it came out, unlike yourself. Or for all those Dreamcast remakes / follow-ups to games from 5 to 10 years ago (San Francisco Rush, Ecco, Soul Calibur, etc.). And I didn't see anyone crying in rage over sequels to Jet Set Radio or Shenmue, despite the gameplay and even the graphics being similar to the original game they were sequels of.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

PSU sucks hard. it didn't take long for everyone who thought they enjoyed it to realize this.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Tsuyoshi-kun wrote:You can even say that about most any franchise, though. I mean, look at the 16-bit Sonic games. They all revolve around the same premise: run from one side of the level to the next in a time limit. And they later threw in "gimmicks" such as flying and gliding to said destination points.
The difference being that they added stuff. Katamari 2 added nothing to the core gameplay, which is hilarious because there's no story to care about, so the only reason you play is the gameplay. It even had the same graphics. New objectives and a crappy coop mode which is ass don't cut it. Basically, We <3 Katamari was a cut-and-paste job. There was less new content in it than there are in most PC game expansion packs.
Tsuyoshi-kun wrote:Also, I'm not the one who had an orgasm over how awesome Phantasy Star Universe (a sad retread of Phantasy Star Online) when it came out, unlike yourself. Or for all those Dreamcast remakes / follow-ups to games from 5 to 10 years ago (San Francisco Rush, Ecco, Soul Calibur, etc.). And I didn't see anyone crying in rage over sequels to Jet Set Radio or Shenmue, despite the gameplay and even the graphics being similar to the original game they were sequels of.
If you think PSU is the same as PSO, you're just weird. Remakes/ports are not billed as sequels. Ecco on the Dreamcast was the series transplanted pretty much perfectly from 2D to 3D. Soul Calibur was probably the best 3D fighting game around when it was released (too bad the series hasn't changed since then, and sucks ass). JSRF had gameplay and graphical changes/upgrades. Shenmue is about the scenario/story, which changes drastically in the sequel.

Sorry, but I have reasons for why I like and don't like what I do.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

I've noticed a lot of the impressions from TGS of NiGHTS said there was no motion control. I work for Sega Nerds, and we were lucky enough to get our resident limey over to Tokyo for the show. While there he played NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams extensively, and was apparently the only one there that asked if he could use the motion controls instead of the analog stick.

Sure enough, the kindly booth lady obliged him- she removed the nunchuck from the Wiimote and let him have at it. If you're curious how it plays, impressions (and a ridiculously dramatic intro) can be found here. It's not exactly groundbreaking, and it pretty much confirms worries people have had about the idea since the beginning, but hey, what were you expecting?

Something in me finds it absolutely hilarious that nobody else at TGS asked the people at the NiGHTS booth where the motion control was. I have this funny picture in my head of the Sega booth girls just sitting there in their awful NiGHTS costumes as people played the game wondering why they weren't being asked- glancing from controller to screen, troubled looks on their faces.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

I'm curious about this "angled camera" thing. He says that it lets him look more of what's up ahead of him... then, I assume it changes sides when the player turns around and starts flying to the left, and the same applies when moving up and down, right?
Some SEGA nerd wrote:As of right now, the only control style that really works effectively is the one that can be done on any console.
So, basically the game could very well show up on any console whose controller has analog sticks. OK, here I'm waiting for a quick HD remake, a la Ninja Gaiden. :P

There's new music stuff at NiD.com. The revamped DREAMS DREAMS is a lot less irritating, maybe after some twenty or thirty times of hearing it I'll eventually hate it as well.

EDIT:
Double-S- wrote:Was DMC really the first of its kind?
I can't think of any prior game(s) that plays like it... at least in 3D, since Devil May Cry is a cute little merger of Resident Evil and Castlevania.
Radrappy wrote:was it fun? did it make you happy?
I assure you all there's nothing more fun than Mushihime-sama. Really, it's entirely made out of bright, happy, sweet, deadly, chaotic, purple, mad, hellish and eventually entertaining, uh, fun. Seriously fun.

THEbigLANDMAN

Post by THEbigLANDMAN »

Wow, I liked A LOT when Nights dived into water and some parts of his body transformed into "swim mode". Now WHAT IS THIS?

http://jeux-france.com/news22063_nights ... mages.html

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

Yeah. Also there's apparently no alarm clock egg in this game.

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

Sweet merciful Christ it's porpoise NiGHTS.

I did not see that coming.

The dragon?NiGHTS looks kind of interesting though- I wonder how it affects gameplay. My first thought is it'd allow you to go into tighter nooks and crannies but... what are the odds of that?

I also think that owl is terror-rific. SO... it's obviously a nightmaren.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

apparently it's for fighting strong currents.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Ecco the Dolphin into Dreams.

I'd love to see a new Ecco game though. Not as many alien-fighting dolphins games out there as it should.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Dragon Nights looks....interesting.

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

Images of Reala and Wizeman, courtesy of NiGHTSintoDreams.com:

http://www.nightsintodreams.com/NiD/vio ... _reala.jpg

http://www.nightsintodreams.com/NiD/vio ... izeman.jpg

Wizeman's design is very good, I think. Reala is'... somewhat odd. It's the same character in spirit, but the details throw me a bit. Mostly, the beefy sausage fingers with manicured claws and... uh... the bat print on his tights. It makes me think of Morrigan from... DarkStalkers, I think it was?

But yeah. Nice renders, regardless.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

You would be correct.

Except Morrigan is a hot-as-fuck succubus, and Reala is wearing a GOLD CARNAVAL MASK.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

... Reala's right thumb looks like a nose, making him look like he's wearing a golden Groucho mask at first sight.
Win.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Okay, the rest I have no issue with, but bat-print? Double-u tee eff?

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

The bat print is sorta a... curve-ball or something. Out of nowhere.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Does this mean Reala is more girly than NiGHTS now? I mean, I know they're both asexual in the strictest sense, but <i>bat print</i>?

On the other hand, it's not like we'll be able to see it judging by the in game modeling so far.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

IIRC, in the manual NiGHTS had no gender, but Reala was referred to as male. So NiGHTS can be as fruity as fruity gets because he's just an asexual pixie of love and joy, but Reala's a <i>guy</i>. That, er, enjoys batprint, it seems.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Don't forget NiGHTS now comes with extra "British woman voice" in every box.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

They could be somebody's attempt at drawing scars all over his body.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Those are clearly morrigans bats all over his gay body.

Now he even has eyelashes like Nights, hes become a Nights clone gone gay, The End.