NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams E3 thread

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Esrever wrote:That's what I thought, too. It just looks like the same character wearing a different outfit and a really dorky mask. Remove the mask and I don't think his head would look much different from the original... I suppose the hat plumes are a little more subdued looking now but it's not exactly a major change.
You are mistaken, his hat is now Nights hat but colored red.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

It. Is. A. Hat.

Get over it.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Kogen wrote:Can't remember where I read it, but the 2008 thing is apparently only the European version.
It's not necessarily a trustworthy source, but GameFAQs says the game'll ship this year everywhere.

Yeah, it's looking better and more fast-paced thanks to the closer camera, though I'm still really worried about the controls and the whole collision detection thing, it looked a little rough in that demo... or was it just the guy sucking at the game?
Last edited by Isuka on Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

There's no doubt that guy sucked. Regardless of how it controls I'm sure it's possible to, y'know, move in a straight line.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Yeah, that hat is the important thing. Not the guady, ridiculously over the top fucking jewelry he's decked out in head to toe with.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Comeon, the hat was badass with those long plumes coming from the sides of the hat, and dont forget about the ''W''design it had on the front of the had, different to Nights. Personally, I like to fight against something that is cool or badass not something that is ugly or gay.And yes his jewelry and suit he has now looks like a gay samurai clone with feathers. The truth is that the new Sonic Team (Iizuka) likes to make unapealing villians, look at Metal overlord, blackdoom, eggpawns, the genie, erazor, Eggman 2006, and all those ugly villans. So, Reala lost his charm and is now an unapealing villian. (Oshima must be turning on his Artoon throne)

Anyways...I saw the video and it was amazing! The green level,the kid walking around, the Shleep maren, the Nightopians, the Nightopian eggs! theyre all here!

Plorpus III

Post by Plorpus III »

dude, even in the original he was wearing a fucking JESTER'S HAT. It's pretty gay anyway. I agree with you that his new pride-parade get-up sucks, but seriouly, it's a fucking hat.

EDIT: See? Your hat-fetish has made me so enraged that I accidentally double-posted!

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

He needs more belts. The hat should be made entirely out of belts.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I like to fight against something that is cool or badass not something that is ugly or gay.And yes his jewelry and suit he has now looks like a gay samurai clone with feathers. The truth is that the new Sonic Team (Iizuka) likes to make unapealing villians, look at Metal overlord, blackdoom, eggpawns, the genie, erazor, Eggman 2006, and all those ugly villans. So, Reala lost his charm and is now an unapealing villian. (Oshima must be turning on his Artoon throne)
Yeah, NiGHTs is all about badass machoness. You're one of those people who WANTED NIGHTs to have machineguns for the sequel, aren't you?

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

What are you talking about? Nights with guns? how dare you compare me with those n00bs, Nights2 having the same quality as the 1st one is all I want, you are not right in the head man.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Dasher wrote:What are you talking about? Nights with guns? how dare you compare me with those n00bs, Nights2 having the same quality as the 1st one is all I want, you are not right in the head man.
Hi, i'm quoting that gem so you can't take it back 5 edits later.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Regardless of how big reala's new hat is, there's something that's bothering me about all the impressions floating around online. Everyone seems to be cynically attacking the fact that this game sports gameplay almost identical to the original. I feel like this is a huge double standard considering most of the hit sequels these days do little to alter the main gameplay formula of the original. Look at God of War 2. The gameplay was essentially identical to the prequel(hack and slash with the occasional button mash) and it got nothing but orgasms from the gaming press. Even each new 3d Zelda game has had basically the same gameplay from before but with slight innovations and tweaks. The same could be said about Halo 2, Metroid Prime 2, or even Smash Brothers Melee.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Radrappy wrote:Look at God of War 2. The gameplay was essentially identical to Devil May Cry
fix'd

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Delphine wrote:
Radrappy wrote:Look at God of War 2. The gameplay was essentially identical to Devil May Cry
fix'd
*clap clap clap clap clap*

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

I wonder what percentage of my posts have something to do with God o'War being another DMC clone.

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

0.99818559%

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Was DMC really the first of its kind?

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Here's another video, with a new area and 100% fewer heads in front of the camera.

http://www.gamersyde.com/leech_4675_en.html

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Wow thanks G.silver for this awesome video, Its good to see more of it in action.

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

Radrappy wrote:Regardless of how big reala's new hat is, there's something that's bothering me about all the impressions floating around online. Everyone seems to be cynically attacking the fact that this game sports gameplay almost identical to the original. I feel like this is a huge double standard considering most of the hit sequels these days do little to alter the main gameplay formula of the original. Look at God of War 2. The gameplay was essentially identical to the prequel(hack and slash with the occasional button mash) and it got nothing but orgasms from the gaming press. Even each new 3d Zelda game has had basically the same gameplay from before but with slight innovations and tweaks. The same could be said about Halo 2, Metroid Prime 2, or even Smash Brothers Melee.
Having read a bunch of impressions online, I am now right there with you. There's also been a lot of trash talk from a number of sources about how intensely mediocre the original was.

Rlan
News Guy

Post by Rlan »

Apparently the deal now is this: Once you get the key, you cannot continue to do laps, as the chain on the capture won't allow you through. Apprently you can't overlap the bird though.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

So no collecting golden orbs then? also when Nights does acrobatics on the new video a yellow link line appears, what the heck?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I think the reason game sites are criticizing NiGHTS' gameplay for being "too close to the original" is that the original title was such a short, simple game.

Zelda TP and God of War 2 are derivative too, but they're derivative of games that were massive and highly varied. The original NiGHTS was neither of those things, and even though it was a classic I wonder if it managed to bleed it's own concept dry all in one game. (It wouldn't be the first time... Katamari Damacy only barely managed to come up with enough content to justify it's successor.)

These new videos, even though they are pretty looking now, have shown absolutely nothing that was not done in the first game. The bosses at least have an original spin on old ideas, but the levels themselves... well, how many ways can you position yellow rings in the air, right?

Rlan
News Guy

Post by Rlan »

Well there is that kids throwing shit at enemies bit. It doesn't look particularly good but it's something.

Considering the original Nights was all time based it's a little difficult to make a new game without completely changing everything about it. I'm sure they'll add some sort of mission based shenanigans, they always do nowdays.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Esrever wrote:Katamari Damacy only barely managed to come up with enough content to justify it's successor.
I have to disagree with this. The sequel added nothing to justify itself.