A Sonic RPG from Bioware---wait...WHAT!?!

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Locit wrote:No, it means he knows what to say to make it sound like he's getting back to Sonic's purported "roots," whatever the hell those are supposed to be these days. He also never says how frequently he plays Sonics 1 and 2, just that his Genesis is sitting there next to his other consoles. So there you go, he really said nothing in particular, but he sure sounded good doing it! And he referenced the early Genesis Sonic titles! Give the man a gold star!
For starters, he said he keeps the thing hooked up to the TV, so I assume he uses it often enough. But in all honesty, why would he lie about stuff like this? Truly any man so willing to appeal to his audience has a benevolent agenda and nothing more, am I right? I mean, he even used an emoticon! These are good people, man.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Ritz wrote:But in all honesty, why would he lie about stuff like this?
Because he wants money.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

Well, he's quite the charismatic swindler! Also, I place my utmost trust in Bioware, for making so much as a reference to the classic Sonic games is a sure-fire route to my heart.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

You're either fakeposting or incredibly naive, either way it's not funny.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Desperation. It shows in a bunch of our posts (mine, for one).
Or maybe it's just long-winded sarcasm; you can always be sarcastic over anything all the time. I guess.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

I really can't stand turn-based RPGs, and being on a handheld will be twice as annoying. however, RPGs seem to always have intruiging storylines that keep my interest, even if I can't stand the gameplay (FF8, for example) So i'm interested in what the actual storyline of the game will be like.

I really wish it was a console game though. If they tried to emulate Kingdom Hearts style gameplay, it could be really fun. especially if you can form your own team of characters, ala Kingdom Hearts (although KH was prety lax on party select) There's so many in Sonic Team's library, you could have a huge selection.

Here's hoping some long dead characters like Fang are brought back, and no new characters are introduced.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

cjmcray wrote:Here's hoping some long dead characters like Fang are brought back, and no new characters are introduced.
But it's a new Sonic game, we need at least one new character!
Greg Zeschuk wrote:This type of functionality allows us to innovate in very different ways as compared to a home console and I'd argue that the DS is a near-perfect system to launch a new roleplaying game franchise on!
It's somewhat expected, but it looks like they plan on making a sequel eventually. Yeah, it's way too early and I'm probably looking into this too much. Obsidian would probably do it though.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Ritz wrote:No, the games just need good characters, period. I wouldn't even care about their personality or anything at this point- if we simply must have a new character every game, at the very least, make them not look like Sonics with different hairstyles/accessories.
Cream is not a hedgehog, we hate her

Blaze is not a Herderhog, we don’t hate her, we hate the fact that she changed from a princess from another dimension to a Queen of the future just because "Sega can do it".

Riders is full of new characters that aren’t hedgehogs, but who cares? Is a "Snowboaring" game!.

Silver just shows how unoriginal Sega has gotten lately, is just another wannabe herderhog hero that looks like Sonic and was tricked to Fight Sonic, or maybe Shadow, I read the script and I still don’t get it.

That raccoon girl? We don’t know anything about it, but it would be funny if she was a Blaze fan girl…

A character can be “bad character”, as long as is a villain, you are supposed to hate the villains anyway. Sega, cant you do anything better for a new villain that a Eggman lookalike?. And yes I am talking about Eggman Nega and that new pirate cat...

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

gr4yJ4Y wrote:
Greg Zeschuk wrote:This type of functionality allows us to innovate in very different ways as compared to a home console and I'd argue that the DS is a near-perfect system to launch a new roleplaying game franchise on!
It's somewhat expected, but it looks like they plan on making a sequel eventually. Yeah, it's way too early and I'm probably looking into this too much. Obsidian would probably do it though.
I don't think that quote means that they are already planning on making a sequel. Rather, it could mean that it could mean that this can use this game as experience to make an original series, exclusively for the DS.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

Arcade wrote:Cream is not a hedgehog, we hate her

Blaze is not a Herderhog, we don’t hate her, we hate the fact that she changed from a princess from another dimension to a Queen of the future just because "Sega can do it".
You're missing my point. Whether or not they're hedgehogs is irrelevant, the point is that they all look the same. Sonic is the archetype for nearly every character conceived; when they design a new character, they start with his head, eyes and body, tack on a vaguely different hairstyle, tweak the eyebrows according to their demeanor, give them a new pair of shoes (And in the case of females, a different outfit) and call it a day. You can find more variety in an MMO character generator. Characters should bear little to no resemblance to eachother- Vector, Bark and Big are prime examples of what I'm looking for.
Arcade wrote:Silver just shows how unoriginal Sega has gotten lately, is just another wannabe herderhog hero that looks like Sonic and was tricked to Fight Sonic, or maybe Shadow, I read the script and I still don’t get it.
You never get anything, hon. That's why we're having this conversation right now.
Arcade wrote:A character can be “bad characterâ€￾, as long as is a villain, you are supposed to hate the villains anyway. Sega, cant you do anything better for a new villain that a Eggman lookalike?. And yes I am talking about Eggman Nega and that new pirate cat...
Bullshit. Black Doom is a bad character and bears no resemblance to Eggman, are you telling me we need more characters like him? If so, kindly direct yourself to the nearest euthanasia pit/oven, your opinion(s) are no longer consequential.

Anon

Post by Anon »

Arcade wrote:Sega, cant you do anything better for a new villain that a Eggman lookalike?
More like "Damnit Sega, can't do do anything better for a new villian than have them appear in a one-shot effort to blow up the world/universe/all reality and cause The Hedgehog Crew™ to go Super and bring him/her/it/potato down in The Doomsday Zone rip-off #52674?"

Xigz

Post by Xigz »

Isuka wrote:From the thread's name I thought this was a rumor. I'll take a moment to WTF, then procede. If it's anything like, say, Klonoa Heroes with Sonic gameplay mechanics it should work.
I like the sound of it being like Klonoa Heroes. That worked out fine, and I didn't think Klonoa could pull off a decent RPG.

I'm glade it's BioWare and not Sonic Team. Still, this is going to be the best game ever, of the biggest piece of shit on this earth.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

I didn’t remember Black Doom because I try to block that horrible game existence from my mind as hard as I can. And since when character design has been the main problem? For what I care they could all be Sonic recolors as long as Sonic games where good again, so far the best this new era has given to us is Rush and Secret rings, while the so called “Rebirthâ€￾ of Sonic was a bunch of crap with a nonsense story and so many bugs they should have made a team of thirty people just to fix them…

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

I think Sonic has enough characters to make a great (read: bad) fighting game.

You are missing out Chaos and Shadow, he was a villain then whatever he is now.

Anyway I agree with the poor character design. Adventure had the best new characters around. E-102 looks great, so does Big. Shadow's ok too and so is Rouge. But then it all goes downhill.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I thought Shahra and Erazor Djinn were decent characters, if not very Sonic like. I thought Blaze had a fair plot in Rush (I haven't played 2k6 enough to know what part she plays there), though she's not that well designed, as far as appearances go.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

As always, I swoop in dispensing way more information than you ever asked for!

In Sonic 2k6, Blaze plays more or less like Sonic and Shadow do with some key but ultimately frivilous changes.

Double tapping the jump button does not initiate a homing attack; instead, Blaze does sort of a spinning uppercut move. To make Blaze initiate a homing attack, you must tap the X button while in mid air.

Tapping X when not near enough to an enemy, it makes Blaze do a very unweildy flying corkscrew attack that is only useful for accidentally killing yourself with. Knuckles has a very similar move.

Holding X and then releasing it will cause Blaze to twirl - much like a ballerina - forming a flaming tornado of sorts. If you do this move while moving, you can control her and take out multiple enemies, as she twirls for a good 3-5 seconds before stopping. If you initiate this move while standing still, you cannot make Blaze accelerate and she will simply twirl in place. Tapping X again will cancel the twirl.

Plot-wise, assuming you wanted a spoiler... Blaze is from the same future Silver is, and they share a "brother/sister" sort of relationship. They both fight to contain Iblis, informing one another when he appears in the city in order to fight him back.

Blaze acts as though she knows Silver very personally. At one point she makes a weird, off-the-cuff remark to herself after being seperated from Silver, that she would have to find him quickly because "he gets pretty insecure when he's off by himself".

With Blaze's presence, the game tries to hint at Sonic Rush quite a bit, but it ends up muddling things up. When Silver learns Sonic is the Iblis Trigger (though he simply says, "That Blue Hedgehog!"), Blaze seems as though the mention of a blue hedgehog catches her attention - like she knows Sonic. This never pans out, as Sonic and Blaze, if I recall, never meet face-to-face in Sonic 2k6.

By the end of the game, Silver learns how to defeat Iblis in the future once and for all - by sealing him inside of a person. Silver does his best to seal Iblis inside of himself, but Iblis can only be sealed inside of a female. Blaze sacrifices herself to Iblis, and uses Chaos Control to send herself to another dimension in order to make sure Iblis is never released in Silver's time ever again. Silver begs her not to go, because he needs her, but Blaze re-assures Silver he'll be fine. After a "tearful" goodbye, she finally vanishes. The clouds part on the ruined city and the credits roll.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

They really (sort of) killed off Blaze? I mean, as much as they ever kill anyone off nowadays. 'Cause that works just great for those of us that only played Rush.

Plorpus III

Post by Plorpus III »

BlazeHedgehog wrote:With Blaze's presence, the game tries to hint at Sonic Rush quite a bit, but it ends up muddling things up. When Silver learns Sonic is the Iblis Trigger (though he simply says, "That Blue Hedgehog!"), Blaze seems as though the mention of a blue hedgehog catches her attention - like she knows Sonic. This never pans out, as Sonic and Blaze, if I recall, never meet face-to-face in Sonic 2k6.

By the end of the game, Silver learns how to defeat Iblis in the future once and for all - by sealing him inside of a person. Silver does his best to seal Iblis inside of himself, but Iblis can only be sealed inside of a female. Blaze sacrifices herself to Iblis, and uses Chaos Control to send herself to another dimension in order to make sure Iblis is never released in Silver's time ever again. Silver begs her not to go, because he needs her, but Blaze re-assures Silver he'll be fine. After a "tearful" goodbye, she finally vanishes. The clouds part on the ruined city and the credits roll.
Sonic and Blaze actually do meet face to face after Kingdom Valley, and don't acknowledge each other. For that matter, when Sonic and company see Mephiles talking to Silver and Blaze, they don't acknowledge her then either, even when she makes the blue hedgehog comment.
Also, she isn't killed off since time resets at the end of the game, meaning none of it ever happened.
I really hope they just choose to ignore StH360, since "Oops it was actually the future all along!" is even bad for a Sonic game.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Sonic and Blaze actually do meet face to face after Kingdom Valley, and don't acknowledge each other.
Oh yeah. I tend to block that part out as it's done of the more cringe-worthy cutscenes.

Sonic: OMG ELISE YOU ARE DEAD NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHY
Silver: Dude, we can time travel, remember?
Sonic: Oh, right. Hooray for Deus Ex Machinas!
Silver: Speaking of which, I know how to stop Iblis in the future! brb
Sonic: Wait, if I stop Iblis in the present, why the hell do you need to stop him in the future?
Silver: Because shut up and get in the swirly time vortex, that's why.
Sonic: Good enough for me!

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

And also there's that part where she ______ _ __________ _ _ _________ ________________ ________________ ________ ___________ _____________ ____hahahah GOTCHA, no spoilers here.

Anyway, I'm more afraid of the new characters that might appear than what already existing characters might do. But, who knows, Mario RPG had nothing but new characters and it was great, not that I wouldn't like to see Mallow and Gero appearing now and again in those Mario multiplayer games.
Last edited by Opa-Opa on Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Right, but did you have to break the damn forum tables?

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

Fixed. Sorry about that.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Opa-Opa wrote:But, who knows, Mario RPG had nothing but new characters and it was great, not that I wouldn't like to see Mallow and Gero appearing now and again in those Mario multiplayer games.
Come to think of it, Mario usually introduces an array of new characters for each game. How is it they're always done in good taste and Sonic's new characters are lame out the ass even when there's only one?

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

Because Mario characters aren't Mario clones with different shoes and facial hair. Refer to my prior rant.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Ritz wrote:Because Mario characters aren't Mario clones with different shoes and facial hair. Refer to my prior rant.
That's a factor, but placing appearances aside, the Sonic add-ons are still lacking something substantial.