Sonic the Hedgehog 2 coming to Wii and Xbox 360

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Forza Johnman

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 coming to Wii and Xbox 360

Post by Forza Johnman »

Source: Joystiq.com

For those too lazy to click:

While not quite as exciting as the news that Lara's latest adventure is coming to the Xbox 360 (in some capacity), the ESRB also let another cat out of its poorly guarded bag today. Well, it's more like a pair of cats. Actually, it's a hedgehog and a two-tailed fox but they're both coming out of that bag with the revelation that Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is destined for not only the Wii's Virtual Console service -- no big surprise there -- but the Xbox 360 as well. We're speculating that the title's co-op gameplay and split-screen races were enough to convince the fat cats at Microsoft that Sonic 2 deserved a plot inside Xbox Live Arcade's walled garden.
Carry on. Well, I was going to say I heard a rumour that Sonic wasn't the only one playable but that chunk of text ruins it.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Hooray for 14-year old games I already have on GameCube and Genesis!

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

cjmcray wrote:Hooray for 14-year old games I already have on GameCube and Genesis!
<i>You're</i> old.

Edit: Was it my imagination, or did you edit your post from "That game is old" to "Hooray for 14-year old games I already have on GameCube and Genesis!" before I could post my post?

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

It was all your imagination.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

I wish you dropped even a vague clue about your being sarcastic or not, because I think my not knowing will haunt me for the rest of my life.

Well actually no it wouldn't

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I thought this thread was going to be about a sequeal to S2k6.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

gr4yJ4Y wrote:I thought this thread was going to be about a sequeal to S2k6.
Be glad that it isn't.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

I could see the co-op being kind of fun on Live, and the special stage 2-player would be hilarious. The Wii version sounds pretty worthless, though.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Just because he mentioned the Wii before the Xbox I supposed that it was the Mega Drive game (that and the lower case "t").
But maybe he did it on purpose just to wreak some havoc... Dear Lord forbid.

And I think just like Locit (infact, I thought that you could play some of the Virtual Console's games with online multiplayer, but it seems I was wrong).

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

As did I.

Also, I wish that Sega would release a HD version of Sonic 1&2, complete with redrawn sprites like Capcom is doing for its SFII:Turbo HD Remix. At least it would be a somewhat acceptable excuse for buying the same game all over again.

MiraiTails

Post by MiraiTails »

*Sigh* Why would Sega go through the trouble of redrawing sprites when they can simply rerelease the exact same game(s) for the billionth time?

It would be nice to be proven wrong.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Is there going to be a SEGA Collection 2 for the PSP? I know the first one brought Sonic 1 & 2.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

good god. You do not want an "HD" version of Sonic 2. Please take a moment to imagine how completely asstastic that would look. Speaking of ass, the Street Fighter 2 "HD" remake looks like complete shit. They're going to be just as poorly animated as the originals but with models constructed in Painter? What a terrible terrible idea. Count me out.

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

What is the problem with Street Fighter HD? I can understand why they're not boosting the framerate, simply because that would change the gameplay and timing of moves completely.

I'm looking forward to seeing the final result, it's a sample of 2D's role in HD. Also, i think the sprites/models look awesome compared to what we started with.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Well, maybe Capcom could up the framerate while still retaining the game's pace and feel instead of rerelease the same game for the thousandth time, but it's still a good place to take off and see if we can get something like a SFIV, with new designs of old characters a la Garou, or even a whole new IP.

Back to Sonic 2, I think that a HD version could be really fine, but it would require, you know, some investment, and as cjmcray said, I don't think SEGA is planning to do such a thing on 14-year-old software. Also, they're going for the Wii.

gr4yJ4Y

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Isuka wrote:
Just because he mentioned the Wii before the Xbox I supposed that it was the Mega Drive game (that and the lower case "t").
But maybe he did it on purpose just to wreak some havoc... Dear Lord forbid.
Ofcourse, how blind of me! I always need to pay careful attention to capitol letters on the internet!

But I figured it'd be titled "Sonic 2 coming to Wii and Xbox 360", seeing as I hardly ever hear it referred to by its full name.

No biggie though. I just got my hopes up/down for a split second there.

I wonder if they'll bring these games over to PlayStation Network (PS3) eventually too.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

gr4yJ4Y wrote:I wonder if they'll bring these games over to PlayStation Network (PS3) eventually too.

People care about that thing?

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

I thought the same thing. I haven't been so happy to see the Genesis Sonic 2 titlescreen in a long time. :P

gr4yJ4Y

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

FlashTHD wrote:
gr4yJ4Y wrote:I wonder if they'll bring these games over to PlayStation Network (PS3) eventually too.

People care about that thing?
Not me in particular. I was mostly just curious. I imagine some people do though.

It's funny, because I still think that the first-generation PS2 was more disserving of the criticism the PS3 is getting these days.

OSM

Post by OSM »

Thank god its not.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I wrote:
Be glad that it isn't.
Beat you to it

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

You know, I'm kind of relieved it's not... oh, forget it.

And isn't PSN supposed to be an absolute success? It's free, there must be several people playing Resistance and MotorStorm, it's very promising.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

These days, pretty much ANYTHING that ties the PlayStation 3 to the word "good" could be considered an absolute success (in Sony's eyes if nobody else's).

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Cuckooguy wrote:I wish you dropped even a vague clue about your being sarcastic or not, because I think my not knowing will haunt me for the rest of my life.

Well actually no it wouldn't
First statement was an honest expression of my sheer unenthusiasm.

The second, a sarcastic one.

I mean, I love the game and all, but it's been ported to every system imaginable. It's been ported to the PC. It's even been ported to cell phones.

It just doesn't strike me as <a href="viewtopic.php?t=1408">Hard-hitting, informative and in-depth Sonic news that i'm used to at the GHZ.</a>

THEbigLANDMAN

Post by THEbigLANDMAN »

I wouldn't care for an HD revision of this game, it is the one with the best sprites, in my opinion. But sega will not do it, so who cares...

PS: Did anyone like the Bonanza Bross. "HD" from Sega Ages/Classic collection? I loved it