Sonic the Hedgehog 2 coming to Wii and Xbox 360

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

For those who care, Sonic 2 was released today for the Wii Virtual Console.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Yami CJMErl wrote:For those who care, Sonic 2 was released today for the Wii Virtual Console.
This ain't for me LOL.
But I was thinking, are these new rereleases at least 16:9 compatible? That would enhance the gameplay experience with almost negligible investment, I guess.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Hey, check out the press release for it:
Sonic the Hedgehog(TM) 2 (Sega Genesis, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone, 800 Wii Points):
Dr. Eggman (aka Dr. Robotnik) is back to continue his zealous search for the Chaos Emeralds needed to fuel his new Death Egg contraption. The evil doctor secretly follows Sonic to his vacation spot, Westside Island, and launches a full-scale attack, imprisoning all the helpless animals of the island and turning them into mindless worker drones. Now Sonic must thwart the doctor's plans at all costs. This time he isn't alone, as a peculiar two-tailed fox named Miles Prower (aka Tails) decides to aid him in the battle. Together they must locate the Chaos Emeralds before Dr. Eggman does, and put an end to his diabolical scheme.
Wow. They miss a few fine details, but is that the first time the japanese story's been officially published in the west in some form, or what?

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

As far as I know, it is. The US manual skips over the whole "Westside Island" and goes straight to the Death Egg part, if I recall...

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

US story in manual wrote:Miles "Tails" Prower, the fox, can't sit still when Sonic's around. Ever since Miles was a baby fox, he's dreamed of being like Sonic. He loves to run after Sonic, waving his two tails behind him, trying to keep up with his hero!

Mostly, Sonic lets him trail along. But sometimes, just to show off, Sonic explodes in a burst of super speed and leaves him behind. But Miles doesn't give up. He whirls his tails like a helicopter rotor and takes off flying until he catches up!

All the animals call Miles by his nickname, "Tails", because of his two special tails. And one day they saw an astonishing feat...

They were all together in the forest, watching Sonic perform. Sonic would run, spin and jump in his Super Spin Attack. Then "Tails" would whirl like a turbo engine and blast off in his Super Dash Attack. What a showoff!

Suddenly, "Tails" just couldn't help himself. He took a running start, curled up his tails, and - whoosh - he was spinning like Sonic!

But now something frightening is happening. Sonic's friends are disappearing. In their place, nasty metal robots are popping up all over the island. The mad scientist Dr. Robotnik is at it again!

This time, Robotnik's planning a global disaster. He needs workers to create a doomsday machine that can take over the world. So he's trapping all the animals, turning them into robots, and forcing them to build his ultimate weapon, the Death Egg!

Robotnik now rules the factories, refineries and cities! He's grabbed control of everything - except the 7 Chaos Emeralds. These magnificent gems are believed to hold exceptional powers. With them, Robotnik could have the entire world in his grasp. And he'd never let go!

The Chaos Emeralds are buried somewhere on the island. Only one tough dude with spiky hair has the speed to find them first!

Help Sonic stop the devious scheme of the demented scientist! Spin like a speedball through space. Grab Power Sneakers and loop 'til you're dizzy. Twirl over twisting speedways and rocket through tunnels. Balance and blast across a bubbling ocean of oil!

Find the Emeralds, free the animals, and squash Robotnik forever!

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

The ESRB had its' turn, now the Australian OFC has gone loose-lipped with Sega's next VC releases. Sonic 3 heads this set up.

Knowing how Sega is and that the listing's called "Sonic the Hedgehog 3" as opposed to "Sonic 3 & Knuckles" or something such, i'd say it's a rock-solid bet they're gonna shaft folks and sell S&K seperately, while sweeping the lock-on games down the storm drain. But however it goes, it'll be interesting seeing what kind of press it gets on release...Sonic 2's the one that gets almost all the glory in the mainstream.

Oh, and according to DcD, the other games to be VC'ed are:

Shinobi III: Return Of The Ninja Master (yus!)
Eswat: City Under Siege
Landstalker: The Treasure Of King Nole
Ghouls'n Ghosts

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

That's what I'd thought when I read that on GoNintendo the other day, but I really, really, REALLY hope that's not the case... maybe figure some way to work it out with Nintendo so that anyone who purchases both <i>S&K</i> and the relevant <i>Sonic</i> game can download that lock-on combo for free. It'd mean <i>S3&K</i> would be $16, but worse things have happened.

Or, they can do it like they do on Gametap, where the combos are listed as separate games entirely. Somewhat idiotic, and a great way to screw over the people who downloaded the games separately, but since I'm not going to be one of those people, it's no skin off <i>my</i> back.

But no matter HOW they do it, I just really hope the lock-on games aren't completely given the shaft. D:

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Maybe they'll release the lock-on games with Sonic & Knuckles... but I doubt it. Knowing Sega and Nintendo these days, they're probably all going to come out with all three separately. I don't know who would be willing to re-buy Sonic 2 just to play it again with Knuckles.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

I know they had all three (S3, S&K, S3&K) as separate games on the Mega Collection, so it wouldn't entirely surprise me if they did do it that way...or maybe they'll do what they've done for a few games for the VC and release a patch for Sonic 3 that allows the two to combine.

gr4yJ4Y

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

What games have they released a patch for?

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Probably all those that used Lock-on technology, which means... ehh... noone?

gr4yJ4Y

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Yami CJMErl wrote:...or maybe they'll do what they've done for a few games for the VC and release a patch

Forza Johnman

Post by Forza Johnman »

One I know of from the top of my head is an Advance Wars clone for the PC Engine. Which fixed some slowdown and scrolling issues.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

gr4yJ4Y wrote:What games have they released a patch for?
I know they did one for the European release of Mario Kart 64, and also one for some Turbografx game that I can't remember.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

This seemed like the best place to mention it, in case anyone cares:

Sonic 3 was released for Wii Virtual Console today in the NTSC region. No word on S&K being anywhere in there, so I think it's (sadly) safe to assume that if and/or when it's released, it won't be featuring the Lock-On technology.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Which is retarded. They couldn't just release S3&K as one game for twice the points, no, that would make too much sense.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Watch, they'll probably pull a Mega Collection and release the two together as a separate game from the other two.

Again, I personally don't care either way since I own SMC.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Yami CJMErl wrote:Again, I personally don't care either way since I own SMC.
Indeed. I still have the Genesis versions of the games, actually.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

Why exactly is it assumed you can't do lock-on once they release Sonic and Knuckles? I don't see why they can't include something that detects what Sonic games you have, then let's you play them in their Sonic and Knuckles versions.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Because that would require actual effort, and the Virtual Console's creed is "minimum exertion, maximum profit."

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Maybe they'll make Sonic 3 & Knuckles a separate download once they've both been out for a while. Then they'll charge you for it.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Oh, and word has it Sonic 2 will finally go to XBLA this Wednesday.