Nights 2? Pfft! Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games WiiDS

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Rlan
News Guy

Nights 2? Pfft! Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games WiiDS

Post by Rlan »

SEGA AND NINTENDO JOIN FORCES FOR MARIO & SONIC AT THE OLYMPIC GAMES

Legendary Icons Appear Together for the First Time in Video Game History

TOKYO (March 28, 2007) – SEGA® Corporation and Nintendo Co. Ltd. today made a historical announcement that two of the biggest icons in the entertainment industry, Mario™ and Sonic™, are joining forces to star in Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games. Developed for the Wii™ video game system and the Nintendo DS™ system, this momentous agreement marks the first time these two renowned stars have appeared together in a game.

Published by SEGA across Europe and North America, and published by Nintendo in the Japanese market, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games will be available for Holiday 2007 and is licensed through a worldwide partnership with International Sports Multimedia (ISM), the exclusive interactive entertainment software licensee of the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

In Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, players will compete in events that take place in environments based on the official venues of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games. Using a supporting cast of characters from the amazing worlds of both Mario and Sonic, gamers will be able to compete as or against a range of lovable personalities including Mario, Sonic, Luigi™, Knuckles™, Yoshi®, Tails™ and more. Innovative usage of the Wii and DS control systems to maneuver a favorite character will allow players to race the likes of Mario and Sonic down the 100m track, engage in exhilarating rallies in table tennis and churn water in a swimming heat, all while competing for the much sought after gold medal.

“We are thrilled to partner with Nintendo and ISM on this groundbreaking title,” said Hisao Oguchi, President and Chief Operating Officer, SEGA Corporation. “For the first time, two of the world’s greatest games’ characters come together to compete in the world’s greatest sporting event and we couldn’t be more excited.”

“Mario and Sonic have been respectful rivals since the early days of video games,” says Shigeru Miyamoto, Senior Managing Director and General Manager, Entertainment Analysis and Development Division, Nintendo Co., Ltd.. “In fact, for a long time they have been discussing the possibility of one day competing against each other. Now that they have been given the perfect opportunity to meet at the Olympic Games, we may finally learn who is actually faster, Mario or Sonic?”

“The Olympic Games represent the true spirit of competition and passion,” said Raymond Goldsmith, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of ISM. “Bringing together intensely competitive and fun characters like Mario and Sonic in an Olympic setting helps showcase the sports of the Olympic Games in a new and compelling way for all generations.”

For further information on this title please visit http://www.sega-press.com for Europe and the SEGA FTP for America at: http://segapr.segaamerica.com.
Well.. I don't think anyone expected that.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Holy shit.

Trace

Post by Trace »

Wow, that was unexpected.

Stardust Speedman

Post by Stardust Speedman »

Now, THAT is REALLY BAD news!

Neither did I EVER wanted to see Sonic and Mario in the same game, nor did I EVER want to see Sonic in a sport game! (You don't need to tell me that Sonic already has sport games for mobile. Who cares about mobile anyway? And racing games are OK, as long as they're full of fantasy.)

Also, it is OBVIOUS that Sonic is ALOT faster than Mario. If they speed up Mario now, so, he can actually compete with Sonic, then that would be extremely stupid!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH, I don't wanna even emagine how kiddy Sonic could get in this game! ~.~

Plorpus III

Post by Plorpus III »

...What?
I mean... huh...

It's not that the game seems exceptionally terrible or OMG RAEPING MY CHILDHOOD or anything, and it could turn out to be a decent game I suppose. It's just...
Where did THAT come from?

I mean, I wasn't expecting either company to have a mascot-based olympics game. Hell, a joint sports game wouldn't surprise me, but Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games sounds like some 10 year old's fanfic.

So the question is... Who's developing? I thought it was these ISM guys at first, but it turns out they're just the license for Olympics video games. The game is on their site, though.

Well, here's to hoping that it turns out surprisingly good!

Um... 100 meter dash, though? Maybe they broke Sonic's legs for the game.

yes I crossposted from sa shut up

Mep

Post by Mep »

I'm guessing this increases the chances of Sonic appearing in Brawl?

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

My thoughts exactly! also Naka thinks Miyamoto is god and never thought Sonic to be special, maybe this is why he left...he didnt want to see Sonic and Mario and Nights 2.

bolt7

Post by bolt7 »

Somebody please say April Fools.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

This is the weirdest Sonic announcment since the Shadow game.

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »

Stardust Speedman wrote:Now, THAT is REALLY BAD news!

Neither did I EVER wanted to see Sonic and Mario in the same game, nor did I EVER want to see Sonic in a sport game! (You don't need to tell me that Sonic already has sport games for mobile. Who cares about mobile anyway? And racing games are OK, as long as they're full of fantasy.)

Also, it is OBVIOUS that Sonic is ALOT faster than Mario. If they speed up Mario now, so, he can actually compete with Sonic, then that would be extremely stupid!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH, I don't wanna even emagine how kiddy Sonic could get in this game! ~.~
Mario would completely pwn Sonic at weight lifting & swimming events.
I'm guessing this increases the chances of Sonic appearing in Brawl?
Considering that it states this being the first encounter between the two & its coming out during Christmas time:

A. Brawl won't be out until 2008 :mad:
B. Sega vetoed Sonic's smashing appearence & opted for this instead.
C. The guy who wrote the announcment is covering that up or doesn't know if its happening himself.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

we may finally learn who is actually faster, Mario or Sonic?
Is this really an issue? I would like to think we know the answer already.

This is so weird. It goes against everything I have been taught for the past decade-and-a-half. However, perhaps the presence of Mario means Nintendo will step in to ensure the game isn't full of suck. After all, as opposed to Sonic spin-offs, most Mario spin-offs are actually fun.

Besides, from the sound of it now Mario fans will be able to experience the rich character base we now so heartily enjoy in the Sonic universe.

bolt7

Post by bolt7 »

Characters from both franchises battle it out in Olympic-style games such as swimming
But Sonic hasn't been able to swim since 1991, BASTARDS.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Huh? What? Just what? Am I very stoned or something?

In all seriousness this just seems bizarre. A Mario/Sonic crossover doesn't seem completely out of the question now but a Sonic/Mario/Olympics game? This must be an April Fools joke or something!

Edit: There's an announcement on Nintendo Europe's site as well.Guess it is real.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

What the hell?

Well... I guess a story-related crossover between them would be even weirder. Plus, the tone of this thing seems to point to Shadow not being heavily included. So... I'm sold.

But, I'm more concerned about the gameplay. Is this going to be Wii Sports/Wii Play with Tails, Luigi and Peach instead of Miis?

WW

Post by WW »

I do like the middle ground in art style on that pic. This could be pretty cool actually... The Mario sports titles have been good, too, as a matter of fact.

The olympics have always been a test of athletic ability, and both Mario and Sonic have pulled off some crazy-ass shit in their game-worlds... I think it's a neat concept. Besides, everyone has always wanted to pit these two against each other.

EmeraldGuardian

Post by EmeraldGuardian »

Wow

I just might start my career at Sega and work my way up for years and years and years until I'm at a point in which I'm allowed to say "Enough of this shit, I'm fixing Sonic now."

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

the question is though who the fuck is actually developing the game? We know who's publishing.

Stardust Speedman

Post by Stardust Speedman »

WW wrote:Besides, everyone has always wanted to pit these two against each other.
Take me out of that everyone please!

I actually HOPE for this game to turn out to be bad, so they don't come up with the idea of making a sequel.
Last edited by Stardust Speedman on Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

I wonder what path this is going to lead us down for the future of both franchises... if Sonic is in this and perhaps Brawl, what's to stop him being in Mario Kart? How about Mario making a cameo in the next Sonic spin off?

I guess Nintendo and Sega finally heard the jingling cash of that amazing scenario where they obtain a brand new way to milk both franchises to new heights never seen before.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

According to SOJ the title has yet to be finalised.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

I don't know about you guys, but having Sonic make token appearances in Mario sports spinoff titles would make me happier than most of Sonic's solo games have in recent years. Not that happy, mind you, but that says something.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Four days before April 1st, and this suddenly comes to light. You dolts can quit kidding yourselves any time now.

awaiting Frieza to come along with a hearty SERIES OVER any minute

But I have to say, both sides picked a really bad leg to pull here. This fanbase gets closer and closer to implosion every time they fuck up. A stunt like this...well, even if it's for four days it'll do no good, and they better be well prepared for the mountains of hate mail they're inevitably going to get from the April Fool'ed.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

This has been a strange week.

I don't like how Sonic looks in the art, it looks like his proportions have been altered slightly to better match Mario's.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

it isn't an April Fools joke. There have been numerous reportings and an official press release. Stop being a know it all.

WW

Post by WW »

Crazy Penguin wrote:This has been a strange week.

I don't like how Sonic looks in the art, it looks like his proportions have been altered slightly to better match Mario's.
Sonic looks like he's supposed to to me. A short, blue hedgehog.