New NiGHTS

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
THEbigLANDMAN

Post by THEbigLANDMAN »

I don’t speak Italian, but speaking Catalan & Spanish I only lack about 20% of its vocabulary… so I’ve read it and the important things are:
(Sorry for the crappy English)
(Now, I'm not sure if it is Italian or Portuguese, anyway I understood it -.-)

Takeshi Izuka says that they didn’t made the game for Dreamcast because they wanted to innovate in control and experience, not in graphics, and wii has made it possible

It is not confirmed if Claris and Eliot will appear in this game

2 players mode and unspecified online functions

More acrobatics, movements, etcetera
Last edited by THEbigLANDMAN on Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. SEGA Monkey

Post by Dr. SEGA Monkey »

I'd agree with you accept the model is so damn ugly no one would want to show it off.
You're right on the in-game NiGHTS model being ugly....I mean...it looks like an N64 game. :shock: And the SA2 fingers are there! I thought those awful things died years ago!

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Dr. SEGA Monkey wrote:But what is Iizuka doing there? Wasn't it confirmed that Sonic Team isn't working on this?
I don't believe it ever was. You sure you're not mixing the team up with PROPE or perhaps the game up with <i>Mario & Sonic</i>?

Dr. SEGA Monkey

Post by Dr. SEGA Monkey »

I got it from here:

http://news.spong.com/article/12086
Of note with this remake is the fact that it's going to come from a new studio and not from within Sega itself.
I just assumed that the game would be outsouced just as Sonic Advance 1-3, Rush, and Rivals were.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

It may very well be - although IIRC, SPOnG isn't terribly reliable.

Forza Johnman

Post by Forza Johnman »

I agree on the model looking a bit crap but the level and Puffy look alright really.

Secret Rings didn't look all that great graphically back in E3 '05 but it became one of the best looking Wii titles. Fingers crossed and all that.

Professor Machenstein

Post by Professor Machenstein »

You mean '06?

Yeah, I agree. The art is there, but the developers need to up the polygon count just a little bit. They're either trying to stay true to the Saturn game or the screenshots simply came from an early build. There's also "Air NiGHTS" to consider. I'll wait 'til I see the game in motion.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

At least they're trying (apparently) to stay true to the visual style of the original. But the implementation of that style is looking more than a little clunky at the moment, isn't it?

Night's face just looks really bizarre with that pixelated smile plastered on!

Plorpus III

Post by Plorpus III »

For those complaining about Iizuka, keep in mind that he was also one of the people behind the original NiGHTS. Then again, he was also behind the Adventure games, and look at Shadow and Heroes...
This definitely isn't going to live up to the hype, but I expect it to be an enjoyable game at the very least.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I love the art-style and colors. It's why I'm so fond of the series in the first place.

The gameplay looks like a cross between Nights1's 2-D tracks and Sonic Wildfire's 3-D movement on restricted paths - with the game switching back and forth depending on the situation.

Nights' outfit looks a lot better in actual graphics.

I'm going to guess we have two new kids instead of Claris and Elliot.

Oh, and this looks like a pseudo-sequel - a sequel with new art and gameplay but with similar settings and stories. Sort of like what StarFox 64 was to the SNES Starfox.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

so it turns out this game is being made by the same team that made Shadow and Sonic Heroes, Sega Studio USA. Great.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Zeta wrote:The gameplay looks like a cross between Nights1's 2-D tracks and Sonic Wildfire's 3-D movement on restricted paths - with the game switching back and forth depending on the situation.
To be fair, the original <i>NiGHTS</i> did that occasionally as well. Swimming in Splash Garden, sledding in Frozen Bell, being launched from a cannon in Soft Museum, and those rail things in Stick Canyon all come to mind; they're not EXACTLY alike to be sure, but they follow similar principles (forward momentum is fixed; all you can modify is where exactly you happen to be as you zoom forward). There were also a few overhead segments in Splash Garden and Mystic Forest, but those aren't terribly like <i>Secret Rings</i>, now are they?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

It looks like the 3D sections will be more prominent this time, especially during the boss battles, though. Which makes sense, seeing as how the point of this game seems to be that the Wii controller is supposed to fascilitate 3D flight in a manner that's fun.

I wonder when we'll see images of revamped Reala?

Also, it'd be hilarious if Lumina and Void made cameos in the game.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Sega died, and a pachinko company named Sammy cut Sega face from its copse and pretends to be Sega, that explains everything!.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

You are a retarded waste of oxygen and carbon.

Anyways, I hope Pians come back. As a Sonic Adventure minigame if not in-game sidequests. I'd also like to see Holiday related events make a return for Christmas, New Years, and maybe summer or spring or something. And a SatSR Special Book/Christmas Nights extras section.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

mail these suggestions to them zeta. No seriously. Wasn't there going to be some mass fan e-mail of suggestions Trippy of NID.com was organizing?

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Radrappy wrote:mail these suggestions to them zeta. No seriously. Wasn't there going to be some mass fan e-mail of suggestions Trippy of NID.com was organizing?
"Was" being the operative word. Looks like this game's been in the crock pot for a few months already, and by now i'm betting they know what they want to do with it.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Zeta wrote:You are a retarded waste of oxygen and carbon.

Anyways, I hope Pians come back. As a Sonic Adventure minigame if not in-game sidequests. I'd also like to see Holiday related events make a return for Christmas, New Years, and maybe summer or spring or something. And a SatSR Special Book/Christmas Nights extras section.
Two words: Halloween NiGHTS.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Don't get my hopes up like that, Rob-Bert. That would be way too awesome.
Plorpus III wrote:This definitely isn't going to live up to the hype, but I expect it to be an enjoyable game at the very least.
That's all I want, honestly. I don't expect the second coming of videogames. It's like meeting up with an old friend you haven't seen in a long time: you want to see them, but you've changed, and they've changed, and you don't know if it will work. But you hope it will.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Delphine wrote:gibberish language
I want to like you, but you're making things hard, hon~

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

I wasn't being sarcastic at all, nor do I have any respect for the multitude of languages spoken on our planet, <i>nor</i> do I find those languages fascinating and sometimes sexy, even if I can't understand them. Not at all. Hon.
Last edited by Delphine on Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WW

Post by WW »

I like to call languages I don't understand "Banjo-Kazooie talk".

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Plorpus III wrote:For those complaining about Iizuka, keep in mind that he was also one of the people behind the original NiGHTS. Then again, he was also behind the Adventure games, and look at Shadow and Heroes...
This definitely isn't going to live up to the hype, but I expect it to be an enjoyable game at the very least.
As I recall, Iizuka is listed in NiGHTS Credits as the "Primary Game Designer". Which is such a blanket term I have no idea what exactly it would've been he did.

Did he think up NiGHTS gameplay in it's entirety? Was he more of a supervisor, what?
Dr. SEGA Monkey wrote:
I'd agree with you accept the model is so damn ugly no one would want to show it off.
You're right on the in-game NiGHTS model being ugly....I mean...it looks like an N64 game. :shock: And the SA2 fingers are there! I thought those awful things died years ago!
Uh, yeah, okay. It totally looks like an N64 game. I mean, look at the muddy graphics! The blurry textures! Totally looks like an N64 game.

IMHO, this looks better than Secret Rings and I actually had to stop and question whether or not this was for the 360 before seeing the mention that it's platform was Wii exclusive further on in the scans (do note, though, I was basing this entirely on the shot of NiGHTS in the boss arena with the Puffy-looking-Jester - later images of Splash Garden do look less impressive).

Yeah, he's got SA2 fingers. So what? Like there's going to be an amazing amount of close-ups on his hands, or something? Shit, NiGHTS didn't even have individual fingers in the Saturn version.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Im guessing there will be hopefully so much stuff going on, Nights model didnt need perfection like in the original.

PS. What I do not like now are his new girly eyelashes...yuck.

EDIT: Fixed the eyelashes! for great justice!

Much better, specially for that low detail model.
Last edited by Dasher on Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

NiGHTS has no gender, so he can be as girly as he wants. :P