New NiGHTS

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Zeta

Post by Zeta »

It's not so much lying, as totally ignoring the questions being asked, as if he were in a parallel universe where he is simply talking to himself. Allow me to translate:
First of all, just to relax the diehard fans, will the Wii version of NiGHTS be following the fundamental game mechanics of the original?
Takeshi Iizuka: Now that Naka's gone, I can finally make a sequel without him having a hissy fit and Sammy is having one anyways because they say NiGHTS is less marketable with the tween demographic than Sonic. I'm doing the best I can, and I'm going to finish this because I've wanted to do it for a decade
Can we expect any radical gameplay departures from the original?
Takeshi Iizuka: Not fucking likely. People couldn't even appreciate the original's, much less trying to complicate shit.
Will the music in NiGHTS still change based on the mood of the Nightopians?
Takeshi Iizuka: What Nightopians?
Will the original's wide range of moves be making a return - and will they rely on motion-sensing controls?
Takeshi Iizuka: What? I wasn't listening.
Grabbing enemies and throwing them around was often the solution to some of the original's more intense battles. Will we still be grabbing foes in the Wii version and if so how will the remote let us throw them around?
Takeshi Iizuka: Wiggling the remote. What do you expect? If you can masturbate, you can play this game.
Will you be bringing back the 'A-Life' system?
Takeshi Iizuka: Shit no. We hardly have enough time to finish the core gameplay without adding in a virtual pet system.
Christmas NiGHTS cleverly employed the Saturn's internal clock to alter the game world, particularly the weather conditions. Any chance of the Wii Weather Channel being used for some similar effects?
Takeshi Iizuka: The Wii has stuff on it that makes things run. We're planning on implementing this "running" technology that uses "electricity" in the future.
And what about using Miis?
Takeshi Iizuka: No. And stop asking about Miis and face facts - only Nintendo-sponsored minigame collections are ever going to use the fucking things. GET OVER IT.

Oompa Star
Now Playing: I'll be the only serious one and say Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect.

Post by Oompa Star »

Sounds like Iizuka to me. I only got the original Nights and Christmas Nights within the last year so if it sucks, it won't be as hard-hitting for me as it will be for those that have waited for ten years. But I will still be pissed as hell if they fazuck it up.

Dr. SEGA Monkey

Post by Dr. SEGA Monkey »

High quality screenshots.

I must say, the graphics in this game look A LOT better to me than how they looked from those magazine scans.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I dunno, I think it looks slightly worse in high-res; NiGHTS' jagged hands become ever more apparent, and you can begin to see the individual pixels of the textures (ie: the waterfalls in nights_eu_02.jpg). Will any of this matter? Of course not, because we wouldn't be focusing on still shots, but rather fluid (hopefully) movement.

Anyway, I'll just toss it out right now that <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/NIGHTS-Into-Dreams- ... em">people on eBay are really stupid</a>. $80, eh? I bet he's feeling smug... but the thing costs <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Sega-Saturn-NIGHTS- ... em">$20</a>. It's <i>NiGHTS</i>, not freaking <i>Panzer Dragoon Saga</i>.

I wonder if this game's hype is driving up prices?...

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

It astounds me how fugly this game is. Really, it looks like a Dreamcast game.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

It looks about on par with Shadow the Hedgehog. I mean technically, rather than stylistically, of course.

It's pretty sad, considering how fantastic Secret Rings looked. I guess Sonic Team USA really isn't strong in this department. I wonder if they're making the game in Renderware.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

what is sonic team USA strong in?

b_boult

Post by b_boult »

Esrever wrote:It looks about on par with Shadow the Hedgehog. I mean technically, rather than stylistically, of course.

It's pretty sad, considering how fantastic Secret Rings looked. I guess Sonic Team USA really isn't strong in this department. I wonder if they're making the game in Renderware.
I don't know, in terms of polygon count and so on Secret Rings looked pretty bad in most pictures, and only ever looked fantastic in MOTION in my opinion. For Example:

http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/artic ... 219068.jpg

If you look at this shot of NiGHTS (actual resolution) however, I don't think it's looking at all that bad so far, and this is only a still image too. It will obviously look even better in motion:

http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/8069/n ... on4dl2.jpg

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

If the PS2 can put out the visuals seen in God of War II Sonic Team USA ought to be able to produce a model of NiGHTS on the Wii that isn't riddled with jagged edges and fugly texturing. It can't be that hard.

We haven't seen any Nightopians/Nightmaren yet, I've noticed. Wonder if/when those will start popping up.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Locit wrote:If the PS2 can put out the visuals seen in God of War II Sonic Team USA ought to be able to produce a model of NiGHTS on the Wii that isn't riddled with jagged edges and fugly texturing. It can't be that hard.

We haven't seen any Nightopians/Nightmaren yet, I've noticed. Wonder if/when those will start popping up.
Except, by comparison, I bet the NiGHTS model seen in these shots has more polys in it than Kratos. But you know why Kratos looks better? Because even on an HD screen he's like three inches tall. The camera is usually pulled way out, and the only close-ups you see of him are of his face (which may not even be the Player model of Kratos, it might be model created specificially for close-ups).

Segaholic2
Forum God

Post by Segaholic2 »

I'm pretty sure it's the same model, dude.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

It actually doesn't matter, because Shadow of the Colossus is better than God of War with its hands tied in the back.

Segaholic2
Forum God

Post by Segaholic2 »

You know what's even better than Shadow of the Colossus? NFL 2k5.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

you need to shut the hell up right now thx

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

You know what's better than you need to shut the hell up right now thx?

Me neither.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

*bump*

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/16/night ... for-japan/

SO. Turns out NiGHTS 2 in Japan has a different subtitle than "Journey of Dreams". Over there, the game's now known as "NiGHTS: Hoshifuru Yo no Monogatari"--translating into something akin to "Story of the Night of the Falling Stars".

Whether or not this will have any effect on the US/EUR name has yet to be seen.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

good times right guys?

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Helen Cartwright has Elise's face.

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

Is that sum Panzer Dragoon I see in the bottom right?

But i must say, it's looking simultaneously excellent and basic graphically at the same time.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Ngangbius wrote:Helen Cartwright has Elise's face.
Final Fantasy syndrome. Everyone looks the damn same.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I'm putting money on the boy character being a soccer (or football, if you will) player. If these kids are more British versions of Claris and Elliot, it follows that:

* Singer > Violinist
* Basketball Player > Soccer Player

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

I'm pretty sure the boy being a soccer player is already confirmed. A shot of his room has a soccer ball in it.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

I don't know what I was really expecting, but I'm sort of disappointed they made the human characters more realistic. Plus the Ideya Palace looks all gaudy and weird.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

At least they aren't putting the giant boobs on their 12-year-old this time.

I think she looks pretty good! I miss the more surreal hair colours, but in my opinion this is still a big step up from the human character art of the original. (Which was HIDEOUS, both technically and stylistically. Claris and Elliot looked about ready to have someone mercifully remove their feeding tubes.)

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Esrever wrote:At least they aren't putting the giant boobs on their 12-year-old this time.
Claris was 15, which was kind of weird in itself for a game about children's dreams.

These latest screenshots look really good.