Prope outlines company philosophy

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Re: Prope outlines company philosophy

Post by Locit »

FlashTHD wrote:- Concerning Sonic in Brawl, he says he hasn't gotten a chance to play it yet (?) but he loves how they included him and how lively he looks in the game; paraphrasing, "it looks like Sonic is having fun in the game too".
*sniff*
You know... it really does.

(single tear)

The bastard should hire Oshima to make up for being a spotlight-stealing jerk for the past 17 years.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

I think Naka mentioned doing a bit of programming on Chu Chu Rocket once, "for old times sake".

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

I don't care. Any new Artoon projects?

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

P.P.A. wrote:I don't care. Any new Artoon projects?
I don't care. Who does?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

When was the last time Artoon made anything notable? Yoshi's Island DS is, like, the one game I can think of that really mattered. Pinobee didn't. Blinx didn't.

Of course, I'd like to see Ohshima return to the Sonic franchise since it was generally the games he had input on that I liked the most, but even that I don't think can save the series from whatever the hell is causing the suckage, so.

Oompa Star
Now Playing: I'll be the only serious one and say Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect.

Post by Oompa Star »

- No franchises or sequels of any kind will come out of Prope, he says
Which guarantees that each title they put out will be an innovative masterpiece.
Pinobee didn't. Blinx didn't.
Let's not forget Vampire Rain. Wait, disregard that, that's a game everyone should forget.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Ngangbius was exactly right. Naka explained that he decided to fold from Sega because he was tired of overseeing and mentoring stuff instead of getting into the thick of actually making games.
Couldn't he have just, like, stepped down or something?

I totally respect his decision regardless of what his motives were - he must be bleeding green about now, which takes a certain kind of devotion. I'm completely prepared to reverse all the harsh criticisms I've tossed at him and his ferraris if Prope can deliver.

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

Shadow Hog wrote:When was the last time Artoon made anything notable? Yoshi's Island DS is, like, the one game I can think of that really mattered. Pinobee didn't. Blinx didn't.
Blinx was actually pretty fun! It didn't really rock the boat, but it was a fun time attack platformer that took all the charm Sonic had lost and crammed it into a cat wearing a jumper.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

yeah but the designs didn't even rock the boat, much less cause a stir. And isn't that what we always claim Ohshima was a master at?

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

I tried Blinx, once. Like in 2002. Then never again. From what I remember, I thought it was much too slow, irritating, and boring. And yeah, it's beyond me how Oshima's character designs could fall from grace that rapidly after bailing out of Sega. There's nothing interesting about the Blinx designs, they're just...stupid.

Semi-interesting fact: Oshima was one of the producers for Yoshi's Island 2, whatever that amounts to you.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

FlashTHD wrote:Semi-interesting fact: Oshima was one of the producers for Yoshi's Island 2, whatever that amounts to you.
Pardon my ignorance but... Yoshi's Island 2 = Yoshi's Story?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

He means Yoshi's Island DS. Which I already mentioned.

Although I never bothered to play it...

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Ohshima's designs for the upcoming Away Shuffle Dungeon look pretty cool, I think. I'm hoping it turns out to be decent.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/notag/mistwalk ... 333292.php

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

^Sounds interesting. A little familiar though...

I downloaded a demo of Vampire Rain a few weeks ago (yay fake Japanese XBL account). Man, that was creepy. LIGHTSPEED ZOMBIES EVERYWHERE FFFFFF
Pinobee I played on PS1, I got one of the endings but admittedly couldn't be bothered to get the others (though I think that (being done b extensive exploration) was the point of the game), also due to the rather crappy conversin from the GBA (ugly stretched screen) and ever-repeating pieces of music. I imagine the GBA version to be a little more motivating. The graphics were cool though, but strangely in the credits Oshima was just listed as character designer and not director.
As for Blinx and YIDS, I still have to get those.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

I liked Blinx's design.

You guys must have terminal prostate cancer.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

let's not turn this into another "well I liked it" thread.

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

Well, I liked it.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Ritz wrote:I liked Blinx's design.
Me too. I think Blinx would've been a better game if Artoon got rid of the time-control gimmick, and made it a standard run and jump platformer.

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

I always wanted to play Blinx, should I start with the first one or jut skip to the (superior, from what I heard) sequel?

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

How about skipping both.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

The only time I ever got to play Blinx was when I went to visit my cousin for a week one Summer, and that was a good few years ago, but in the time I did spend with it, I realized that it was hard. Like, hardcore gay anal fistin' prostate-burstin' hard. Now, don't get me wrong, I rock at games- like, seriously- but for all the hours I spent, I just couldn't get past the 3rd stage in Everwinter. Mabye I was doing something wrong? I mean, I hadn't paid any attention to the vacuum upgrades or anything. Either way, that game burnt my ass real bad. The biggest factor in my not enjoying the game all that much stems from the incredible frustration it granted me.

Sure, the fact that the whole time control element was ill-spent had a hand in this, as there's hardly any truly clever uses for the gimmick, and the manner in which you acquired units of time (Collect 3-4 crystals of the same color oh but don't screw up because if you do you lose all of your previously collected crystals !!!) meant that you either had to completely memorize a stage's layout through trial and error to know exactly what's coming, or you had to go and grind for an hour on an easier stage to fill your time reserves to max capacity, as if you didn't have enough, you'd have to start the entire fucking stage all over again. You typically had to do both, several times, as even so much as collecting the crystals in the first place was a serious chore; they tend to spawn in dense clusters, so you had to play Twister with them to cherry pick the proper crystals at the risk of ruining the whole chain. And since they spawned randomly, there was never any guarantee that there'd even be enough of a specific crystal to ensure that you could complete a chain, anyway. Tear my fucking sack open and shove my balls up my asshole.

But hey, the character was great, and the overall presentation of the game was a class act! And the soundtrack was nice!

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

To me, your post reads like "Broken game is broken" plus gay sex and anal guro, ending with a "well, I liked it".
No, really. The Alien Soldier speedrun was OK, though.

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

Oh, we're shamelessly plugging speedruns now? Ok.

Also Ritz, what kind of hard is Blinx? The Ikaruga "I'm dying a lot but simply because my skill isn't sufficient to beat this mighty game, looks like I have to train more!"-hard, or more Sonic Advance 2 "Where did that pit suddenly come from, WHOA that spring just shot me into an enemy from where I fell backwards onto spikes and into a hole wtf?!"-hard?

Neo

Post by Neo »

Isuka wrote:To me, your post reads like "Broken game is broken" plus gay sex and anal guro, ending with a "well, I liked it".
That's a very accurate description of Ritz! You mind if I quote you on that in future events?
P.P.A. wrote:"Where did that pit suddenly come from, WHOA that spring just shot me into an enemy from where I fell backwards onto spikes and into a hole wtf?!"
Dude. I'm not badmouthing the game, I actually have a lot of fun playing it, but it's general knowledge that you can beat it by holding right and jumping occasionally.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

Neo wrote:That's a very accurate description of Ritz! You mind if I quote you on that in future events?
Why do you still hate me. :(
P.P.A. wrote:Also Ritz, what kind of hard is Blinx? The Ikaruga "I'm dying a lot but simply because my skill isn't sufficient to beat this mighty game, looks like I have to train more!"-hard, or more Sonic Advance 2 "Where did that pit suddenly come from, WHOA that spring just shot me into an enemy from where I fell backwards onto spikes and into a hole wtf?!"-hard?
The latter, though Sonic Advance 2 completely pales in comparison to Blinx's flagrant assfuckery. Treasure hard is the fun kind of hard, where a boss just completely blows you away, and you honestly can't help but laugh because the enemy's barrage was just so completely over-the-top that there's no way you could've known what was coming, and then you immediately start the game over and it's just as fun as it was the first 10 times. With the original Blinx, everything boils down to either luck, completely unpredictable traps (One stage actually starts you off on an icy slope with a crumbling bottomless pit at the end that you absolutely cannot bypass without some sort of time unit) or, y'know, just being absurdly difficult on it's own. It's a truly humbling and tedious experience.