NiGHTS related poll on Sega.com

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Ngangbius wrote:Speaking about this, I'm amazed that SSBM, a launch game is still one of the best selling GCN games and that it never dropped to the Player's Choice price of $20.
It wasn't a launch title.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

I have absolutely nothing against the R & C games, as they are pretty damn playable.

However when I complain about the duo being lame, I speak in terms of character design. It's similar to the problems I have with designs in Shrek; they’re technically impressive 3d models that have very little style or soul. Ratchet looks like he was made by a mascot generator, complete with assembly line googley eyes and fur to match. It's obviously a personal preference but his design to me seems as if very little thought went into it. It's a shame because conversely the worlds he traverses through and the gadgets he uses are quite imaginative and inspired.

There's actually a trend of lame furry protagonists with attitude in video games lately. See if you can't connect the dots here.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Ngangbius wrote:
FlashTHD wrote: To tell you the truth, SSBB has failed to woo me thus far (I don't see how far they can run with it after the mammoth that was Melee - yet), but they'll have my attention if it comes to light that Sonic's in it, and then i'd be a lot more willing to pick it up...when I can have it for $20 or less.
Speaking about this, I'm amazed that SSBM, a launch game is still one of the best selling GCN games and that it never dropped to the Player's Choice price of $20.
It did, eventually. I got mine (a non-player's choice copy) for about 10 at a flea market. No manual, which would've made the first few hours a little less excruciating, but it's the best steal I ever got. Whoever sold it to begin with is a dolt.
There's actually a trend of lame furry protagonists with attitude in video games lately
Let me be the first to welcome you to 2007, visitor from 4 or 5 years ago.
Last edited by FlashTHD on Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I agree with RR. The RC games are blast to play and have excellent level and weapon design. But Ratchet himself is boring as fuck. He's generic looking, he has no personality to speak of (his reactions to everything in every game: Dull surprise) aside from . . . well, I can't think of any personality traits for Ratchet. He's boring to look at, and watch. Even is voice is "generic 20-something". Clank has his moments, the way he's written, but his awful voice actor sort of makes him sound like a grade school teacher with a sinus infection instead of a robot.

Oh, and Sly Cooper may be an annoying furry, design wise. But there are a few really brilliant moments when you can tell the designers have been watching back to back reruns of Lupin III and injected some of his character traits into a couple of scenes. Still don't really care for him, but he is better written than Ratchet the wattzit.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Segaholic2 wrote:
Ngangbius wrote:Speaking about this, I'm amazed that SSBM, a launch game is still one of the best selling GCN games and that it never dropped to the Player's Choice price of $20.
It wasn't a launch title.
I could have sworn it was released in the same year. Maybe it was a month or more apart depending on which region launch of the GCN?
FlashTHD wrote: It did, eventually. I got mine (a non-player's choice copy) for about 10 at a flea market. No manual, which would've made the first few hours a little less excruciating, but it's the best steal I ever got. Whoever sold it to begin with is a dolt.
No, I mean SSBM is still a $30 Player Choice title at retail instead being bumped to $20 like the rest of the PC line.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Ngangbius wrote:
FlashTHD wrote:It did, eventually. I got mine (a non-player's choice copy) for about 10 at a flea market. No manual, which would've made the first few hours a little less excruciating, but it's the best steal I ever got. Whoever sold it to begin with is a dolt.
No, I mean SSBM is still a $30 Player Choice title at retail instead being bumped to $20 like the rest of the PC line.
Huh. I swear i've seen those yellow-striped copies, new ones, going for $20. Is 30 the -official- retail price?

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Radrappy wrote:There's actually a trend of lame furry protagonists with attitude in video games lately. See if you can't connect the dots here.
Yeah. I thought we had enough of that in the 90s...

ImageImage

ImageImage

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Rolo definitely did NOT strike me as having attitude.

And in his/Jazz's defense, their games actually didn't suck, unlike most every other game you've listed there.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Ngangbius wrote:I'm amazed that SSBM, a launch game is still one of the best selling GCN games and that it never dropped to the Player's Choice price of $20.
I asked some dude at the local EB Games about it, and he said something about Nintendo knowing that SSBM was so insanely popular that they could still make large profits from it if it remained the same price...or something like that, I forget exactly hat the guy said.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Opa-Opa wrote:
Radrappy wrote:There's actually a trend of lame furry protagonists with attitude in video games lately. See if you can't connect the dots here.
Yeah. I thought we had enough of that in the 90s...

ImageImage

ImageImage

You left out Awesome Possum. He's the bottom of the barrel when it comes to those.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Don't forget Rocky Rodent.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Shadow Hog wrote:Rolo definitely did NOT strike me as having attitude.
No attitude? Just look at his arrogant, narrowed eyes! He thinks he's SO cool and that he's better than us!

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

He looks intoxicated.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Oddly enough, his eyes are always like that in-game - and not becaue he looks edgy and cool (honestly, NOTHING in the game strikes me as such), but because he generally looks <i>tired</i> the whole way through. Of course, if I was a miniature elephant whose family and friends were kidnapped by a crazed ringleader who shoots electricity out his palms, throws copies of his head everywhere, and has some weird homing ball-related attack of sorts, with the only prospects of saving everyone being an insanely large quest, with no saving and limited continues, and plenty of one-hit kills, I'd probably be a bit tired as well.

Or it could be as Zeta said. I can see one getting drunk over that, too.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

So would a drunk elephant see gray humans?

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

No. Anything sees Pink Elephants after getting drunk. Ever seen Dumbo?

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Rolo looks pretty stoned minus the blood shot eyes. He's more like the Alfred Chicken type of crappy animal character gaming mascot than the "dudes with a 'tude".

And you guys also forgot about Mr. Nutz...

...but I don't blame you.
FlashTHD wrote: Huh. I swear i've seen those yellow-striped copies, new ones, going for $20. Is 30 the -official- retail price?
When Nintendo first started their Player's Choice line for the GCN with Luigi's Mansion and SSBM, they retailed at $30 as opposed to the usual $50. As PC grew(and I'm assuming being stirred due to the competing $20 Greatest Hits/Platinum Hits) the PC line was lowered to $20 with each newly inducted title such as SMS and LoZ:WW. However, SSBM wasn't lowered to the new PC price. The $30 price point remained and still remains if you go to Amazon, Best Buy, etc.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I think Smash Bros. never dropped in price further because it was Nintendo's biggest Cube hit by far. In fact, you could call it the only true "blockbuster"-level hit the system ever had. (IE: several million copies sold.)

It still ranks really high in the system's monthly software sales even now. All the other Players Choice titles had stopped moving those kind of units before their prices dropped.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Shadow Hog wrote:Oddly enough, his eyes are always like that in-game - and not becaue he looks edgy and cool (honestly, NOTHING in the game strikes me as such), but because he generally looks <i>tired</i> the whole way through. Of course, if I was a miniature elephant whose family and friends were kidnapped by a crazed ringleader who shoots electricity out his palms, throws copies of his head everywhere, and has some weird homing ball-related attack of sorts, with the only prospects of saving everyone being an insanely large quest, with no saving and limited continues, and plenty of one-hit kills, I'd probably be a bit tired as well.

Whoa. How many times did you play that game?!

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

That game was awesome. Especially when you unlocked the porcupines as playable characters.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Opa-Opa wrote:
Shadow Hog wrote:Oddly enough, his eyes are always like that in-game - and not becaue he looks edgy and cool (honestly, NOTHING in the game strikes me as such), but because he generally looks <i>tired</i> the whole way through. Of course, if I was a miniature elephant whose family and friends were kidnapped by a crazed ringleader who shoots electricity out his palms, throws copies of his head everywhere, and has some weird homing ball-related attack of sorts, with the only prospects of saving everyone being an insanely large quest, with no saving and limited continues, and plenty of one-hit kills, I'd probably be a bit tired as well.

Whoa. How many times did you play that game?!
I got it as a kid as a birthday present, and have had ample time to play through it... needlessly to say, more than enough.

Though I think I only beat it once or twice. Thing's bloody hard in places. Fortunately they left a little infinite-lives trick in level 1, so it's not impossible.

Come to think of it, this was the game that first introduced me to the software behemoth that is EA... but that's another story.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I was able to beat it, but never able to free all the animals. That thing at the end where Rollo always felt guilty for not freeing them all pissed me off.

What sort of circus has moles, squirrels, rabbits, and beavers anyways?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

One run by a crazed ringleader who shoots electricity out his palms, throws copies of his head everywhere, and has some weird homing ball-related attack of sorts.

WW

Post by WW »

'Da kwazziest circus in the world.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Opa-Opa wrote:Fuck all those games. Two words: ALEX KIDD

And where the hell is Fantasy Zone? Actually. I guess I'm better without a new FZ, they would probably ruin it with 3D anyway.

But I believe a new Space Harrier would be sweet.

EDIT: Wow. I'm on the news!
ALEX KIDD: by some weird chance, only had two decent games in a time where every game counted, Alex Kidd in Miracle world and Alex kidd in Shinobi world.