Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of Illuminus

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Opa-Opa wrote:
Radrappy wrote:PSU's level design is lackluster compared to PSO's.
PSO's level design wasn't even that great.
Don't you get it, though? Since PSO was fo the Dreamcast, a system with absolutely no flaws or bad games whatsoever, it's infinitely beter just because it was for that system.

PSO's level design and level-up system was god-awful. I didn't like spending 45 minutes to level up, especially when I have to grow 15 to 20 levels just to beat a dungeon. I also didn't like the inability to save in dungeons: if I had to leave a dungeon to do something, and I turn off my Dreamcast, most of the time I'm forced to start from scratch, which wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have to fight every single enemy in almost every single room for practically no experience.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Well you have to keep in mind that the O in PSO stands for online, not offline. I don't think they put a whole lot of thought into the single player.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

At least then PSO has an excuse for an ambiguous story mode (I happened to love it ). PSO in my opinion broke ground with such an open ended quest based story mode in addition to the meaty online portion. PSU however tries to be something well practiced in the rpg realm and exposes its relatively small production values and gameplay faults when compared to the RPG giants of today. Also the ability of leveling up your character offline is gone forever. I realize they did this for cheating issues and I applaud such a move. However I can't help but feel extra mode is kind of pointless and is by no means a substitute.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Radrappy wrote:At least then PSO has an excuse for an ambiguous story mode (I happened to love it ). PSO in my opinion broke ground with such an open ended quest based story mode in addition to the meaty online portion.
Man, I played through the offline portion and it was anything but ground breaking. It was tedious, boring, and pointless. Missions were stilted and repetitive and I thought the story was awkwardly developed and really not very interesting.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

It wasn't pointless. Your levels and items were carried over in online mode. PSU's story mode is the definition of pointless.

There is no denying that PSO's offline mode is tedious, boring, and the missions feel like they were made by some map editor. However there was a certain charm in the missions (help cecil lose weight before her marriage or help a girl find her online boyfriend in the Mines!) and environments that PSU fails to replicate. Toss in the fact that in offline mode you really don't feel included in the story having to use Ethan only. (although this is rectified in the online story). In PSO your character felt like part of the universe. The score also complimented the already intense atmoshperes, somewhere that PSU yet again fails

PSU is PSO with improved combat and half the charm.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Yes, the Offline Mode shouldve been made like that of PSO. The new rule of separate Online/Offline experience and exclusive items sucks!

Meaning the Offline mode in PSU is almost useless and has low replay value, atleast the PSO offline mode had high replay value since it was your character who you could bring to Online with all the experience and items. And dont forget about the multiplayer in Ep1 & 2, maybe thats why they included story mode since this game didnt have 2p-4p. I just hope we get this features on this expansion or later on the future.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Like it was said before, I hope all PSU dies...PSO was a lot better...Ep1 & 2 had multiplayer? Wow I so wanna get it now...

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Arcade wrote:Like it was said before, I hope all PSU dies...PSO was a lot better...
So let me get this straight: if a product is inferior to another, you hope it dies? Well, if everyone went by this logic, then wouldn't all games but <i>WoW</i> have died off by now?

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Shadow Hog wrote:
Arcade wrote:Like it was said before, I hope all PSU dies...PSO was a lot better...
So let me get this straight: if a product is inferior to another, you hope it dies? Well, if everyone went by this logic, then wouldn't all games but <i>WoW</i> have died off by now?
I wanted to say all inferior copies of good games should die; yeah that would mean Crash team racing would die because Mario Kart 64 is better. So maybe I could say that all inferior copies sega makes of their good games should die.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

The problem with using your character in offline mode and online mode is that you'd have to store the character on your computer, or memory card or whatever. That means it is incredibly easy to hack items and stuff offline and then just bring them online. The only way to do a story mode and online mode with the same character is require you to login online to play by yourself. It wouldn't be that bad, but it'd require an internet connection anyway.

THEbigLANDMAN

Post by THEbigLANDMAN »

I don't see it that bad to have separated online and offline modes, because the difficulty of each game mode is very different. In PSO you had to spent a lot of hours (o hack) to find any rare weapon online or offline. In PSU offline modes you lvl faster, enemies are easier, you win a lot of money and shops sell rare weapons, it's a good way to see what the game has in an easy mode, and then play seriously online if you want

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

I'm still going to argue that without the connection to the online universe that PSO offline had, it will still remain forever pointless. Extra mode is a lonely, lonely cage with absolutely no point what so ever (story mode is only slightly less so).

I think I recognized why they separated the modes for security issues when I first mentioned this. It's a shame that we have to cheat so much. I'm pretty sure it was Americans mostly too.

Parn

Post by Parn »

Not really. The grand majority of cheat methods on PSO, and now PSU, are Japanese in origin. There are hundreds of cheat programs for Final Fantasy XI, ranging from scripts that let you fish automatically, to packet-sniffing monster-claiming programs that let you claim a monster before it even finishes rendering on-screen, all written by Japanese coders.

We're talking about a culture with gamers that camp once-a-week spawns to prevent Americans from ever getting the special items they drop to maintain their "elite" status in Final Fantasy XI, and put "{English} PT {No thanks.}" auto-translate messages in their looking-for-group search boxes. Asshole players manifest both cultures, not just Americans.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

So... what cheats exactly have been uncovered for the PSU? is there Extra Mode Cheats?

An all Parts, Weapons ect... in stores cheat would be awesome for extra mode and junk! because extra mode sucks without codes, and since you get banned if youre in online mode with cheat stuff then whats the point?

Darn, I miss PSO's same character for both online and offline feature.

THEbigLANDMAN

Post by THEbigLANDMAN »

I don't know the cheats or hacks but youtube has videos of unreleased Photon Arts (like the 3 combo PA for saber or the "surfing spear") that are provably hacked from the offline mode. Hacking infinite HP and PP looks easy too according to some videos showing Technic arts

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

I see, those videos sound interesting!

Hey, is the photon art that Hyuuga Right has for his saber, they one he slashes all over the place with his saber while standing still, is that one available? if so..what is it called?

THEbigLANDMAN

Post by THEbigLANDMAN »

Gravity Strike, it is available in shops online, but Hyuga can give it to you in offline if you get some S ranks in free missions with him (just like almost all NPC do with their respective PA :wink: )

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Hey thanks for the info! how do you get "S" ranks? all I keep getting are "A" ranks.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Kill every enemy in the mission and don't die (you lose rank points for every death, including those of teammates and NPCs).

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Segaholic2 wrote:Kill every enemy in the mission and don't die (you lose rank points for every death, including those of teammates and NPCs).
Thats not it, I killed every monster, beat the level under one minute and nothing! still a dumb "A"

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

You're probably missing monsters, then. A perfect monster score is 700 points; the other 300 points come from no deaths.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

hmm! where are those monsters hiding? hey, what if the partner you have on your party kills a monster?

and do you have to have that member as a partner in order to get his/her PA?

THEbigLANDMAN

Post by THEbigLANDMAN »

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

wow, this is like the ultimate info site! thanks alot! so...according to this, meseta counts aswell!? wow, thats a shocker!

EspioKaos

Post by EspioKaos »

The meseta amounts listed are just part of the reward for getting the corresponding rank.