Downloadable content released for Sonic the Hedgehog

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
big_smile
Drano Master

Downloadable content released for Sonic the Hedgehog

Post by big_smile »

Downloadable content for Sonic the Hedgehog has finally been released. Maintaining the disappointment of the main game, the new update does not fix any of the existing problems (such as the long loading times or the glitches) but instead adds a ‘Very Hard Mode’ option to the 1 player game.

The download is available for both X-Box 360 and Playstation 3 but can currently only be accessed in Japan. Three versions can be purchased (one for Sonic, Shadow and Silver) at the price of 350 Yen each.

Interestingly, the Playstation Network labels the update as ‘1st Download’, which suggests that more will be released in the future.

Thanks to Hari Hari for the information.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

This is kind of disappointing, I was hoping they would release new levels. Not that I was hoping for good levels or anything, but it would've been interesting to see what sort of setting a new set of levels would have.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

"Very Hard Mode"?

Like the game, with all it's bugs and loadoing screens, wasn't hard ENOUGH?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Very Hard Mode kicks you in the balls whenever you press a button.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

And they are charging like 3 bucks for each very hard mode? You gotta be fucking kidding.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Wow, a "very hard mode" over a patch--Sonic Team sure has their priorities worked out!

And the fact that you have to pay for the content too clearly shows that Sonic Team loves their fans(but not in the way the fans desire)!

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

I don't really think you can call nonconsensual assrammings "love".

You know, outside of Massachusetts.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

In this context I'm pretty sure it'd be consensual. They would have to voluntarily buy said 'tard mode to get ripped off. Well, ripped off more.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

What really gets me is that you have to buy Very Hard Mode for each individual character. That's bullshit.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Super-Hard Mode?

THAT is why it was delayed for three months?

I've never played the game, but I heard it was terrible. I was sorta hoping Sonic Team would suprise us, and have the glitches and load times gone for the Ps3 version.

Idea: Sonic Team should rerelease Sonic2k6 next year as a 'gold edition' for $20 with all the bugs, load times and and such fixed. Then it might actually be the good game Sonic Team intended it to be.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

I wish there was some way to beat some sense into those stupid idiots. I really, really do. This game has been nothing but a consistent failure and Sega doesn't seem to be content with the bottom of the barrel; they're actually digging through, mining as if attempting to reach the earth's very core.

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

You gotta wonder which asylum escapee at Sonic Team keeps succesfully convincing the rest that there are actual players out there who WANT harder, more frustrating, less rewarding gameplay modes far more than any other bonus like extra levels or character upgrades or whatever. How many games in a row have they fork-lifted that awful feature into now?

Forza Johnman

Post by Forza Johnman »

Downloadable Content info page

Page on the latest Soleanna newsletter thing (at the bottom). There is going to be 2 more downloads.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Owen Axel wrote:You gotta wonder which asylum escapee at Sonic Team keeps succesfully convincing the rest that there are actual players out there who WANT harder, more frustrating, less rewarding gameplay modes far more than any other bonus like extra levels or character upgrades or whatever. How many games in a row have they fork-lifted that awful feature into now?
What's worse is it's an extra that no doubt takes two days to add, three tops. I know Sonicteam is notorious for fucking their fans over when it comes to extras, but honestly. It may be better than nothing at all, but... it's a new item placement. That's all it is. And because it's "very hard mode" it doesn't even really have to be that balanced, either. Just a fuck ton of the harder enemies with more HP and less rings.

It's insane. It's like Sega has initiated a smear campaign against itself. One day, will we see Segagaga 2, wherein you must sabotage the company from the inside out, forcing it to commit suicide?
Forza Johnman wrote:Downloadable Content info page

Page on the latest Soleanna newsletter thing (at the bottom). There is going to be 2 more downloads.
My guesses?

#1) The ability to play Amigo characters in multiplayer and/or singleplayer maps whenever you choose. I know the game supports this, I saw the text for it while hex-editing around the primary EXE (Kingdom Valley contains character "shout-outs" to every amigo character in the game; there was text for somebody calling out the name of each Amigo, followed by variations on "Leave it to me!")

#2) Super Sonic in singleplayer/multiplayer. This too has a possibility of already being in the game, as there is one gem (curiously labeled the "Super Gem") from the Kingdom Valley demo that goes unused in the final.

I kind of wish there was a Gameshark device on the 360. If this stuff is already on the disc (and, at least as far as the first download is concerned, it is), we could've found it by now.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

The first box left to right is the US xbox ver, then the Japanese xbox ver then what is the last one? why is it shiny? it looks like a card board box not plastic.

what is that?

and more importantly, the Slogan for this game was different in Japan.

while we got "THIS TIME SPEED WONT BE ENOUGH", Japan got "ENTER THE SONIC AGE"

who the hell changed it to SPEED WONT BE ENOUGH?

And what is this box?

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

I think the one on the very left is the "limited edition" version that came with the Sonic statue we got. Though I am not sure.

WW

Post by WW »

Considering that last box has PS3 written on it, I would assume it's the box for the PS3 version.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Also, wasn't "Enter the Sonic Age" the UK slogan? That would help to explain why those are completely in english. And have the PEGI rating or whatever instead of CERO.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I think you'll find that the second one is actually the European box not the Japanese one. The third one just looks like a cardboard sleeve for the European version that probably came with a special edition or something.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Ah! thats right the European boxes, now it all makes sense.

But wait, when was that Special Shiny box released? and was it only in Europe? plus Im still wondering what the bottom PS3 box is.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I thought that the shiny one in the first image might be the PC version for a while there, but I guess it might be a bit early yet for that.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

A limited edition version of Sonic the Hedgehog was released in Europe:
http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/pro ... ode=XT0120

For an extra £10, it came with not one but two special edition postcards and a metallic slip case.

Evidently, it wasn't as limited as retailers hoped, and the price has now been dropped to that of the regular version in an effort to encourage sales.

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

The shiny cover was an exclusive thing for the Game shops that live in the UK. I'm not sure if the rest of Europe got the shiny thing.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

The Downloadable stuff is worth getting.
So far it seems this really does up the ante a bit. Levels have different layouts among other things

Example: During the whale chase scene, you need to jump to different platforms WHILE outrunning the whale

EDIT: After a few minutes of this level it became apparent I was playing it... backwards. That's right, it was from the end to the beginning, with a few twists here and there

Okay, now I'm on Dusty desert, with NO elise to hold on to, making this level much more fun.
Sweet! Im getting this thing!

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Thanks for supporting the idea of Microrapements!