Sonic in the land of the December 2006 NPD data.

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Rlan
News Guy

Sonic in the land of the December 2006 NPD data.

Post by Rlan »

NPD is out! How many of us are Lemmings?

Bunkum, a poster on VGCharts.org, has gotten a hold of Raw NPD data. So, let's see how Sonic has fared for the largest sales period of the year?

360 SONIC THEHEDGEHOG 33,418 [November]
360 SONIC THE HEDGEHOG $5,513,382 96,491
GBA SONIC THE HEDGEHOG $1,138,939 57,024
PSP SONIC RIVALS $3,868,688 98,356

Seems a lot of people are willing to buy really awful games! No way near how much Shadow or Heroes sold at least.

However!

NDS SONIC RUSH $1,151,302 58,042

Sonic Rush is still selling pretty damn well. Congratulations, DS owners

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

The only thing I'm thankful for is that the GBA Sonic 1 port sold even less than the others, though it's still disgusting to imagine even a single person out there is playing that, especially anyone who never played the original.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Holy crap, Sonic Rivals was the best-selling Sonic game for December? That's really surprising.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I didn't know 98,356 people owned a PSP.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

These numbers are astonishing. To help put things in perspective, in December all of these brand new Sonic games were outsold by Mario Kart Double Dash. (Along with more than seventy other titles.)

Oy!

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Think Sega will finally get the message?

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Possibly...but I'm-a wait and see how well Secret Rings does, myself.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I think the only message Sega is going to take away from this is one they should have already known from their last two games... Sonic does not sell well on Xbox!

Tweaker

Post by Tweaker »

Segaholic2 wrote:Holy crap, Sonic Rivals was the best-selling Sonic game for December? That's really surprising.
I wouldn't say so - Rivals, although very simple, was an excellent game for what it was. Admittedly, it had horrid music, but the gameplay, colorful level environments, and fast paced action really hit the spot for me, if nothing else. It's probably done the best job at "going back to Sonic's roots" thus far.

And damn, that 3D is snazzy!

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Light Speed wrote:I didn't know 98,356 people owned a PSP.
Really? Everywhere I go I see people playing those things. I think I've seen one person with a DS. Ever.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

So according to that data, 129,909 people in the U.S. were suckered into buying Sonic 2006. Even though the revenue of the game was over 5 million, I have a feeling that we probably won't see another Sonic game in the same proposed scope in the future for seveal years, expecially on the 360.

I have a feeling that the PS3 version will also do poorly.

Sonic Genesis sold 57,024 units too much. I guess most of the sales came from parents whose children adore Sonic so much, but didn't want to shell out $200-$400 on a gaming machine.

Sonic Rivals sales seems decent, though I wonder if it will sell as well in the long run like Sonic Rush. Though to Rush advantage, it is on the best selling gaming console in the world.

I've seen a bit more DSLites in public than PSP. The PSP did have a good Dec at least with over 900,000 units sold. Not as astounding as the DSLite with 1.6 million units.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

DackAttac wrote:
Light Speed wrote:I didn't know 98,356 people owned a PSP.
Really? Everywhere I go I see people playing those things. I think I've seen one person with a DS. Ever.
I've seen three PSP's total and I know of a couple people that own them, that's about it. I see DS's all over the place. I even had the perfect oppurtunity to steal one from some kid in airport in Atlanta a couple weeks ago. Being the awesome guy that I am though I didn't. :)

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I figure a lot of the people who bought Sonic Genesis are people who I almost was--people who love Sonic and just assumed that a GBA port would not be a glitch-ridden disaster and purchased it without first stopping by the GHZ to determine if that were the case or not.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

G.Silver wrote:I figure a lot of the people who bought Sonic Genesis are people who I almost was--people who love Sonic and just assumed that a GBA port would not be a glitch-ridden disaster and purchased it without first stopping by any vaguely-reliable game-related website to determine if that were the case or not.
Fixed.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

I trust the GHZ much more than the people at many other places.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

As do I, but I'm pretty sure his point was that the game was so righteously panned that everyone from the internet layman to the casual Nintendo Power reader should know better than to attempt to play the game.
Last edited by Ritz on Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

EDIT: What he said.^

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

The ultimate irony resulting from these two years would be thus:

Sonic Wildfire turns out to be a great game and a best-seller, which unfortunately gets Sonic Team's bigwigs interested in handling the sequel. They royally fuck up the second game by essentially turning it into Shadow 2/Sonic Adventure 4 and pretty much end any hope the franchise ever had.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I really wish they would announce Sonic Rush 2 sometime soon.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

James McGeachie wrote:The only thing I'm thankful for is that the GBA Sonic 1 port sold even less than the others, though it's still disgusting to imagine even a single person out there is playing that, especially anyone who never played the original.
well, some only buy da game to be able to do da chaos things with Sonic Adventure 2 Battle....

James McGeachie

I'm not talking about Sonic Advance, I'm talking about Sonic 1 GBA. Also I refuse to believe you're not just some horrible gimmick.

theEyZmaster

Post by theEyZmaster »

woow!! interesting numbers!
I couldn't imagine so many 'Sonic Genesis' sold!
Sonic Rivals- ok
Sonic 360 -already to much owners X_x

OSM

Post by OSM »

Zeta wrote:The ultimate irony resulting from these two years would be thus:

Sonic Wildfire turns out to be a great game and a best-seller, which unfortunately gets Sonic Team's bigwigs interested in handling the sequel. They royally fuck up the second game by essentially turning it into Shadow 2/Sonic Adventure 4 and pretty much end any hope the franchise ever had.
Only one thing to stop that from happening, Ogawa. He KNOWS how to make a good Sonic game. Rings and Rush is full evidence of this. I have alot of faith in him, more then that shit for brains Naka.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I have to agree Rings and Rush have a certain quality that gives me hope that the series might actually stay playable for a few years to come. Though they're both missing a certain something.

James McGeachie

Was Ogawa really involved with Rush? As far as I'm aware the director at least was the same guy who done all 3 Advance games.