Sonic Rivals - New screens featuring Metal Sonic

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Yeah besides he didnt built another death Egg. In Sonic battle we learn that Eggman gets money by selling crappy versions of his robots. He also uses robots to do bank robberies and that kind of stuff. Besides the copyrights his family own gives him some money.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Or he just pulls the material for his gadgets and everything from out of nowhere like Dr. Wily and every other video game mad scientist ever.

Case closed!

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Hell, Wily has him beaten out by making a robot that's either cased in or made out of wood. Where are your wooden robots, Eggman?

CM August

Post by CM August »

Although he does make robots out of eggshells and refuse, hence his army of Egg-Pawns.

Espio

Post by Espio »

A new preview of Rivals on Gamespot, and it features a video-interview with sega's Yosuke Moriya that also shows some of rivals in-game menu's.

-the intensive talk about rivals's collectable cardgame scares me, but good to see Sonic run again... :cool:

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

FlashTHD wrote:Or he just pulls the material for his gadgets and everything from out of nowhere like Dr. Wily and every other video game mad scientist ever.

Case closed!
Since the Japanese manuals and some videogames give a explanation of where he gets his money, we just have to use it.
Shadow Hog wrote:Hell, Wily has him beaten out by making a robot that's either cased in or made out of wood. Where are your wooden robots, Eggman?
Petrified wood to be more precise, and that makes me wonder how the heck he could move.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Espio wrote:A new preview of Rivals on Gamespot, and it features a video-interview with sega's Yosuke Moriya that also shows some of rivals in-game menu's.

-the intensive talk about rivals's collectable cardgame scares me, but good to see Sonic run again... :cool:
Since Yu-Gi-OH, every freaking new thing has to have a cardgame. In the same way it became a rule to include some kind of monster training in any huge game years ago, just ignore it.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

I always thought Magic the Gathering was to blame for the card game fetish in the last decade..

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Impressions of Sonic Riders have been posted at 1up. They are surprisingly positive.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Comeon, just the reason Sonic, Knuckles and Metal are in this game is reason enough to get it.

plus the levels look cooler than the Heroes ones, probably better looking than the Rush ones.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Locit wrote:Riders
<i>Rivals</i>.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Dammit I just can't catch a break.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Arcade wrote:
Espio wrote:A new preview of Rivals on Gamespot, and it features a video-interview with sega's Yosuke Moriya that also shows some of rivals in-game menu's.

Since Yu-Gi-OH, every freaking new thing has to have a cardgame.
Except virtually all of Yu-Gi-Oh!'s characters play the card game in the context of the show...

Sniffnoy

Post by Sniffnoy »

Baba O'Reily wrote:
Arcade wrote:
Since Yu-Gi-OH, every freaking new thing has to have a cardgame.
Except virtually all of Yu-Gi-Oh!'s characters play the card game in the context of the show...
Exactly - before Yu-Gi-Oh!, the cardgame was always... just a cardgame. But then Yu-Gi-Oh! goes ascribing magical powers to its cards and having its characters actually using them in the show, and...

I mean, I suppose Sonic presumably doesn't play cards in Sonic Rivals, but the cards do exist in his world rather than just in ours, and there's some sort of process for cardifying things, so...

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Sniffnoy wrote:Exactly - before Yu-Gi-Oh!, the cardgame was always... just a cardgame. But then Yu-Gi-Oh! goes ascribing magical powers to its cards and having its characters actually using them in the show, and...
What about <i>Cardcaptor Sakura</i>, then, or does that count?

Sniffnoy

Post by Sniffnoy »

Oh, hadn't thought of that.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Locit wrote:Impressions of Sonic Riders have been posted at 1up. They are surprisingly positive.
Anybody who is getting their hopes up based on this preview, stop. Previews of this sort are almost always, unanimously positive. EGM does it, 1up.com does it, and Gamespot does it. These websites don't give bad previews to these games, because that would harm it's sales - and in harming it's sales, places like 1up don't get pre-release review copies.

I mean, really. Read Gamespot's preview for 50 Cent: Bullet Proof.
Gamespot's Preview wrote:Based on what we've seen so far, 50 Cent: Bulletproof is turning out surprisingly well. Although the presence of 50, the G-Unit, Dre, and Eminem are all nice touches to be sure, if you stripped them all away, you'd still have a surprisingly solid game that's quite a bit of fun.
It's amazing what a difference a month makes, right?
Gamespot's Review wrote:...it's tough to imagine that most people will even bother to finish the campaign mode, let alone enjoy it enough to go back through the levels for a high score [in arcade mode]. If you're looking for a fun third-person shooter, look elsewhere. If you're a G-Unit fan looking for an interesting spin on your favorite rap stars, this game doesn't serve you, either.

Score: 4.8
Pretty much a complete 180 from their preview. I've seen this happen more than enough times to know that you never, ever trust previews.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I think magazines that don't write optimistic previews don't get preview copies of games anymore.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Esrever wrote:I think magazines that don't write optimistic previews don't get preview copies of games anymore.
Which is what I said. :P Though I said it in a far more round-about way.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

EGM ran a huge five-page preview feature on Too Human, giving off the impression they were psyched. Next month, in their breakdown of E3 titles, they eviscerated it. Their impressions of the demo were far from positive and it was one of five or so games in the lot to get a rating of "Terrible".

Moral: Some of them don't necessarily follow the rest of the Lemmings off the cliff.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

EGM is definitely the ballsiest of the mainstream outlets, at least in my experience.

Rlan
News Guy

Post by Rlan »

Speaking of EGM, EGMShane mentioned on this weeks 1up Yours podcast that he is reviewing both Sonic Nextgen and Sonic Rivals, as well as playing Phantasy Star Universe.

http://zdmedia.vo.llnwd.net/o1/Podcasts/110306.mp3

He knows his shit, he knows about a lot of the classic games, like Sonic CD.

Apparently Sonic Rivals is tough, and frustrating, and gets old.

As for Nextgen.. he doesn't have much to say about the nextgen version. "Wah Wah".

It's about 6-12 minutes in.

(...)

Post by (...) »

These websites don't give bad previews to these games, because that would harm it's sales - and in harming it's sales, places like 1up don't get pre-release review copies.
By that logic, no magazine could risk giving a bad review either.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

(...) wrote:
These websites don't give bad previews to these games, because that would harm it's sales - and in harming it's sales, places like 1up don't get pre-release review copies.
By that logic, no magazine could risk giving a bad review either.
Not entirely true. Badmouthing an unfinished game before it's even released? That's bad business - both for the magazine (the game isn't done yet! It could still be fixed!) and the company (word of mouth begins to spread that the game is a piece of shit before it's even on store shelves). Plus, magazines generally do more than one preview for certain games - imagine if each preview was consistently bad from the first hands-on test to the last one before the game was released! The game would be a total bomb.

Bad mouthing the game AFTER it's been released? The game's done. There's nothing wrong with saying a finished game is a piece of shit. Plus, by the time reviews hit, the game is either already on store shelves or will be within a week or two - doesn't give word-of-mouth enough time to spread as far as it could from say, a preview a month or two prior to the game's release.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

BlazeHedgehog wrote:Not entirely true. Badmouthing an unfinished game before it's even released? That's bad business - both for the magazine (the game isn't done yet! It could still be fixed!) and the company (word of mouth begins to spread that the game is a piece of shit before it's even on store shelves). Plus, magazines generally do more than one preview for certain games - imagine if each preview was consistently bad from the first hands-on test to the last one before the game was released! The game would be a total bomb.
None of this affected Shadow the Hedgehog.