The last ever Sonic Team Project

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
big_smile
Drano Master

The last ever Sonic Team Project

Post by big_smile »

On 1st July Sonic Team will be merged back into Sega. To commemorate this event the Team have produced a CD titled Sonic Team unplugged live 2004, which will feature six songs from their most popular games. The CD, costing 1000, yen will go on sale 26th August

Tracks will include:
CHANT THIS CHARM
(Giant Egg theme music)
I Just Smile
(Burning Rangers ending theme music)
SONIC HEROES
(Sonic Heroes theme music)
This Is My Happiness
(Space Channel 5 part2 ending theme music)
World with me
(Phantasy Star Online Episode2 ending theme music)
DREAMS DREAMS
(NiGHTS theme music)

^ Sonic Team’s last ever project

A special quiz will also be available on the team’s website allowing 3000 entrants who score over 100 points to win one of these pins:
Image Image

^ This logo, which reads ‘Good Bye Sonic Team Hello Sonic Team’, has been created to mark the event. (Obviously, it is lined up correctly on the actual website).

Source: Sonic Team.com
Last edited by big_smile on Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Doc
Now Playing: Guess Who?

Post by The Doc »

To commentate this event the Team--
I think you mean "commemorate". You're the news guy, though, so I'll let it slide.

Anyway, this would be sad if it wasn't so good, but what's gonna happen with the site? It deals in Sonic Team games, but it can't deal in any more Sonic Team games if there is no Sonic Team.[/quote]

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

The Doc wrote:
To commentate this event the Team--
I think you mean "commemorate". You're the news guy, though, so I'll let it slide.
Fixed! Obviously, the tears in my eyes for Sonic Team's demise prevented me from noticing that....
Anyway, this would be sad if it wasn't so good, but what's gonna happen with the site? It deals in Sonic Team games, but it can't deal in any more Sonic Team games if there is no Sonic Team.
Sonic Team.com is older than Sonic Team Ltd. All the other sites that were created especially for Sega's Ltd. divisions have announced their closure. As Sonic Team.com hasn't, I guess it will still be staying online.

^_^

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Wow, pretty sad that all UGA managed to accomplish while integrated into Sonic Team was finishing up Astroboy, and yet Sonic Team is including Space Channel 5 in their own sound collection. It's not a bad match (It is Naofumi Hataya, isn't it?) but it sure seems exploitative to me, keeping in tune with our current view of Sonic Team as a money-grubbing sellouts.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I don't think the actual "Sonic Team" name will be retired, or AM2, for that matter. Those existed since long before Sega made their development divisions semi-autonomous.

I'm actually surprised that they're closing the AM2 page along with the others.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

unplugged live
This suggests to me actual live recordings of people performing the music, as opposed to another compilation of the same old tracks in the games. I suppose this is too much to hope for?

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

It'll probably be like the "Live" track on the SH4 OST -- clapping and screaming recorded from somewhere else and cut into the songs.

The Doc
Now Playing: Guess Who?

Post by The Doc »

Sonic Team.com is older than Sonic Team Ltd. All the other sites that were created especially for Sega's Ltd. divisions have announced their closure. As Sonic Team.com hasn't, I guess it will still be staying online.
Actually, I was referring to the GHZ. Would it implode or something?</stupid n00b>

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

The Doc wrote: Anyway, this would be sad if it wasn't so good, but what's gonna happen with the site? It deals in Sonic Team games, but it can't deal in any more Sonic Team games if there is no Sonic Team.
[/quote]

Actually, I was wondering about this myself.

Say, that hypothitically speaking Sonic Team didn't keep their name and/or many prominint members such as Naka, Iizuka, and others teamed up with for example, members of the former Sega WOW to create a brand new game. Would it be covered on this site?

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

If the Sonic Team name is retired and it does indeed merge with the remaining groups into a large conglomerate (which I think is very unlikely, as development studios always consist of "teams", they just usually aren't given specific names), then what I'd probably do is continue to cover only Sonic games. All the stuff that's up now would remain.
This suggests to me actual live recordings of people performing the music, as opposed to another compilation of the same old tracks in the games. I suppose this is too much to hope for?
Probably. The disc is only 1000 yen, which I think is around seven or eight bucks, so it isn't likely there's any new content on it.

EspioKaos

Post by EspioKaos »

Green Gibbon! wrote:
Probably. The disc is only 1000 yen, which I think is around seven or eight bucks, so it isn't likely there's any new content on it.
Actually, it's not at all too much to hope for. There was apparently a live recording of these songs done back on March 30 of this year in Tokyo. That's what this CD compiles.

Oh, and on the thing about whether or not SonicTeam will keep their name -- they will. Check out <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/06/30 ... html">this article</a> for a little more info.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

There was apparently a live recording of these songs done back on March 30 of this year in Tokyo. That's what this CD compiles.
Really? I never heard about that. What was the event?

EspioKaos

Post by EspioKaos »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Really? I never heard about that. What was the event?
Prior to today, I hadn't actually heard of it myself. But, according to SonicTeam's site, the songs were performed on a cruise that took place in Tokyo Bay.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

There's a bay in Tokyo?

EspioKaos

Post by EspioKaos »

Click <a href="http://www.gdrc.org/oceans/un-seahorse/ ... f">here</a> for an aerial view of Tokyo Bay.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Two interesting features I noticed about the Sonic Team quiz.

Firstly, answers translated from English to Japanese are allowed, implying that Sonic Team are expecting Westerners to enter, yet the front page explicitly states the contest is only open to Japanese residents.

Secondly, the first section of the contest lists every Sonic Team game (including the STI developed Sonic 2, 3 & Knuckles) and yet Sonic CD and Shuffle are missing even though the former has “Sonic Team Presentsâ€￾ on its packaging while the latter was supervised by Sonic Team.

The lack of Shuffle isn’t surprising as it was never listed in Sonic Team’s game section. However, I wonder if CD’s absence is a further indication that the Team do not consider it to be one of their titles. The in-game bibliographies (which can be found by placing a disc-based Sonic Team Sonic game in a compatible PC drive) have never listed the title and the bibliography on Sonic CD doesn’t list the other games in the series.

Could some one post the bibliographies from the PS2/X-Box version of Sonic Heroes, if they exist, (place the disc in a PC-DVD drive). It would be interesting to see what titles are listed on it (GC discs cannot be read on a PC).

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

I think it's the old Naka ego. Naka worked on neither Sonic CD nor Sonic Shuffle.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

The full list in case anyone wants it, straight from the translator:

Sonic the Hedgehog (MEGADO live)
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (MEGADO live)
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (MEGADO live)
Sonique & NAKKURUZU (MEGADO live)
NAITSU (Sega Saturn)
Christmas NAITSU (Sega Saturn)
bar NINGU ranger (Sega Saturn)
Sonique 3D FURIKKI island (Sega Saturn)
Sonique R (Sega Saturn)
SONIKKU jam (Sega Saturn)
Sonique advance (Game Boy advance)
Sonique advance 2 (Game Boy advance)
Sonique advance 3 (Game Boy advance)
Sonique pinball party (Game Boy advance)
SONIKKU battle (Game Boy advance)
Sonique adventure (Dreamcast)
Sonique adventure International (Dreamcast)
Sonique adventure 2 (Dreamcast)
Sonique adventure 2 battle (Dreamcast)
Sonique adventure DX (game cube)
Sonique adventure DX (Windows)
SONIKKUMEGAKOREKUSHON (game cube)
Sonique HIROZU (PlayStation 2)
Sonique HIROZU (Xbox)
Sonique HIROZU (game cube)
ぷよぷよ fever (PlayStation 2)
ぷよぷよ fever (Dreamcast)
ぷよぷよ fever (game cube)
ぷよぷよ fever (Xbox)
ぷよぷよ fever (Game Boy advance)

ぷよぷよ fever (Macintosh)

everybody -- ぷよぷ (Game Boy advance) –
ぷよぷ -- for PocketPC (PocketPC)
Fan TASHI star on-line (Dreamcast)
fan TASHI star on-line Ver.2 (Dreamcast)
fan TASHI star on-line (Windows)
fan TASHI star on-line Episode 1&2 (game cube)
fan TASHI star on-line Episode 1&2 (Xbox)
fan TASHI star on-line 1&episode 2 plus (Game cube)
fan TASHI star on-line Episode 3 (Game cube)
Fan TASHI star on-line Blue burst (Windows)
Space channel 5 (Dreamcast)
space channel 5 (PlayStation 2)
space channel 5 part2 (Dreamcast)
space channel 5 part2 (PlayStation 2)
Rez(Dreamcast)
Rez (PlayStation 2)
CHUCHU rocket (Game Boy advance)!
CHUCHU rocket (Dreamcast)!
Samba DE amigo (Dreamcast)
samba DE amigo Ver.2000 (Dreamcast)
giant egg (game cube)
ASTRO BOY 鉄腕 atom (PlayStation 2)

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

IT'S FANTASHI!

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Crazy Penguin wrote:(MEGADO live)
Mega Dlive? Aw, that's pretty cute.

I love the SONIKKUMEGAKOREKUSHON as well. It sounds so...angry. *swoon*

Ryan the Game Master

Post by Ryan the Game Master »

It's a pity that you guys have lost your faith in Sonic Team. I've been a fan since I was four, and I still enjoy the games enough to overlook their flaws, though that won't stop me from pointing them out if I have to.

-wyvern

Post by -wyvern »

If we'd lost our faith in sonic team, we wouldn't bother playing the games at all.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I've been a fan since I was 5 and it used to be if it had their logo on it I would buy it, but they haven't released a game worth buying since 2002 or something. I decided not to even bother buying the GBA games after I played through SAd1 and SAd2, I played Billy Hatcher at a friends house and was really enjoying it. Then it just got hard for stupid reasons, like having to wait for the oppurtune moment to roll over an enemy, but when that moment comes you can't because another enemy is in the way and he isn't ready to be attacked yet. Also for a team that has been making great games for as long as I can remember, there is no excuse for Sonic Heroes.

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

Contrary to popular belief, it is possible to be a fan of something without being a zealot. Just like it's possible to patronise a fast-food chain without being a bloated fatass.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Contrary to popular belief, it is possible to be a fan of something without being a zealot.
In a way, I guess... I can't speak for anyone else here, but I can say that the only reason I'm still an active Sonic fan is because I still stupidly believe that one day it's going to get better again. I can't say whether or not placing one's faith in a false hope seperates one from the realm of "zealot"...