Sonic the Hedgehog demo on XBL Marketplace

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Diane Keaton dubbed a poodle. Holy mother of Berry.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

This was written almost a year before the crap game was even <i>announced.</i> It's like his revenge for making him our first douch bag.
SegaSonic wrote:Also, remember that Director Takashi Izuka always wanted shooting elements in Sonic games and thats the sole reason Gamma was made.
Actually,
Crazy Penguin wrote:Anyone remember When Iizuka explained how Gamma came about? He said that people wanted a Sonic game with shooting in it, but they knew it wouldn't suit Sonic's character to carry a gun, so they applied the idea to one of Eggman's robots, and it worked because it made sense and kept to the same tone as the previous games.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Lets Face it, Sonic was the one who died in Sonic Adventure 2, that’s why all the games post Sonic Adventure 2 suck so much more, we are playing with a zombie Sonic.

Sonic Adventure 2, being based in the Adventure engine, should have been better thought...

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

http://www.insidegamer.nl/xbox360/sonic ... ideos/1258

New movie shows Wave Ocean, Spoiler if you dont want to see this level DONT WATCH THIS MOVIE!

Also, Sonic can run or Slide over water?

Wave ocean is vast in some areas and DOES NOT HAVE endless pits, Sonic's 4KIDS and Silver's voices are heard. Man 4KIDS sucks.

Silvers Stage shows him fighting those fire demons things and it show cases Silver's life icon in use, no more Sonic's life icon shared by the others.

Although it was ovious they were gonna change it.

b_boult

Post by b_boult »

SegaSonic wrote:http://www.insidegamer.nl/xbox360/sonic ... ideos/1258

New movie shows Wave Ocean, Spoiler if you dont want to see this level DONT WATCH THIS MOVIE!

Also, Sonic can run or Slide over water?

Wave ocean is vast in some areas and DOES NOT HAVE endless pits, Sonic's 4KIDS and Silver's voices are heard. Man 4KIDS sucks.

Silvers Stage shows him fighting those fire demons things and it show cases Silver's life icon in use, no more Sonic's life icon shared by the others.

Although it was ovious they were gonna change it.
Segasonic I hate to burst your bubble but this is the biggest fucking shitfest I have ever seen I mean Sega what is wrong with you seriously. There are glitches everywhere, Sonic merging into walls, at other points not touching them at all and yet apparently bouncing off them, the skidding on water thing looks ridiculously retarded and is terribly executed, it almost looks like he's floating over it I mean what the hell. They could have at least added some sort of spray coming from it or something. Also the camera refused to keep up with Sonic at one point and he just flies off-screen and then he flies back like some Robot and couple this with the insideous amount of collision glitches when Sonic ran through rocks so the game wouldn't slow down I'm frankly appauled.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

butt skipping on water, horrid camera, and glitches galore all aside, it looks kinda fun!.

b_boult

Post by b_boult »

I wish I could say that it did look fun and not be a cynical about it and to be honest a lot of the cynicism on this forum usually annoys me, but does it even look fun? It looks rubbish to me.

Jack Bz

Post by Jack Bz »

This is my favourite gameplay clip I've seen of this game. Sonic is running FAST and the level design is nice. Not too many bottomless places. Only complaint is that the sliding thing on the sea looks really dumb, he should just run on water instead. I also really like the music. I am excited for this game all of a sudden :O

(...)

Post by (...) »

This trailer has me confused.

We've all played the demo. We've all heard OCB's opinions on the final build. We've all read the lukewarm previews. In short, we all know this game is going to suck sweaty penis. But that video made it look like the best game ever!
Also the camera refused to keep up with Sonic at one point and he just flies off-screen and then he flies back like some Robot and couple this with the insideous amount of collision glitches when Sonic ran through rocks so the game wouldn't slow down I'm frankly appauled.
The camera losing track of the character is a sense of speed trick. The chemical plant zone in Sonic 2 uses it a lot.

As for the collision stuff, I don't think that's a glitch, because Sonic seems to react to hitting the walls but he doesn't die. If the purpose of the speed stages are to finish within a time limit and not to just survive, then this could work as a gameplay mechanic.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

That level looked sorta fun, if a bit on rails! Sonic looks kinda bizarre when he is skimming over the water, but I guess that's because it looks the same as when he uses his slide move on land.

I like the way the level is wide open in places, with little optional nooks and crannies off the beaten path. And it's neat to see them try to capture that whole "rock jumping" sequence from the Sonic CD opening animation. I just wish there weren't quite so many scripted sequences and bottlenecks in the level design, but that's a bit nitpicky. If they could get this stage running smooth without all the weird bugs I daresay I'd probably enjoy playing it!

The part with Silver looks kind of fun, too. His voice actor is a pretty peculiar choice though. He sounds like he is 12 years old!

Menander

Post by Menander »

That video was awful. Are all the animations not there yet or something? Sonic's wall jumping look ridiculous. Sega didn't seriously itend for him to fly upside down right in front of the screen did they? Whenever he's in the air his body is stuck in a very static flying pose that looks horrible.

That little "zip" noise that happens every single time Sonic hits a spring is very akward. It always sounds like Sonic should be flying 100 feet into the air instead of like, five feet.

Silver looks pretty fun! Strange about that voice, I kinda expected him to be more gruff and mystical sounding.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

The sliding on the water part looks like lazy programing. It would seem better if was running on the water.
Radrappy wrote:butt skipping on water, horrid camera, and glitches galore all aside, it looks kinda fun!.
But is it a $60 kind of fun?
Esrever wrote:The part with Silver looks kind of fun, too. His voice actor is a pretty peculiar choice though. He sounds like he is 12 years old!
Maybe it's because he's supposed to be 12-13 years old if assuming those old profiles are true.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

The visuals and audio for the level are both great, I'm fully impressed in those areas. On the other hand, however, not one thing about the gameplay strikes me as right whatsoever, there's nothing that isn't just the same shit they've been doing since Sonic Adventure, except for whatever reason this time it looks even more glitchy and nauseating than before. The "speed sections" seem like they could have potential to be fun and exciting but here they're terribly executed and look utterly unplayable.

Silver's level is the most promising section of the video but it's nothing that hasn't been shown before in previous footage so I have nothing to add about it. The voice is a terrible casting decision though, it's absolutely nothing like what I would've thought from reading the script, which in this case I consider a bad thing.

As this video is labelled "Review build" it seems safe to say at this point the flaws aren't going to be fixed up and the final game is now officially a trainwreck and not just a potential trainwreck, although I think mostly everyone who's not a delusional faggot had already realised that was going to be the case anyway.

There's one thing that has me confused though, why does everyone seem to think this'd be amazing if it wasn't for the technical flaws? It would definitely be a much improved game, but from what I see it's exactly the same boring gimmicks they've been relying on for the last 8 years, but prettier. Am I the only one who never found the 3d Sonic formula to be very fun from the beginning?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Did anyone say it looked "amazing?" I just thought it looked kinda fun. But then, I DID find the 3d Sonic formula fun in the beginning. If Sonic Adventure was glitch-free and had less painfully-incompetent cut scenes, it'd be one of my favourite games of all time. I don't have a lot of conceptual problems with that game, although I'd expect more from a Sonic game that was made 8 years later.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Esrever, I don't know that they're recalling the Sonic CD wall jumps as much as they are reusing the rarely implemented "hop" platforms from Sonic Adventure without explicitly stating "Here is a platform, push jump to go to the next one". At least they seem to stick out less.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

The control scheme seems better than Shadow's, thus I ( and anyone able to complete ShTH with moderate ease) should in theory be able to go at a roaring pace from the very beginning.

The game may not be fantastic, but I am to the point where I can deal with anything control and glitch wise, So despite the fact I would like a game that is made well, I will be very happy with this one when it comes out, I have foreseen it.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I always liked the water skipping in Sonic 2 on GameGear, it seems like that would be a neat alternative to floating across the surface here. It also creates an alternate underwater path if you don't hit the water fast enough to skip all the way across (of course that would require creating sequences that aren't entirely pre-scripted, so scratch that right?)

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

If Sonic actually runs over water and the slide move is the only move that looks like crap, then I'll remove the slide move, Sonic is customizable this time around remember?

But it feels like theyre rushing this thing, ALOT...and this is the kind of game you would not want to rush...after hours of making it look pretty you would not want to make it ugly in gameplay. Really the departure of the main Sonic fathers has really hurt the entire series...nah, I think theyre just playing PSU too much.

Maybe we'll get a Sonic the Hedgehog DX directors cut in the future. <_<

speaking of DX, look at what I found..its hilarious, I always wanted to do that as the area was vast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29useELU ... ed&search=

Neo

Post by Neo »

SegaSonic wrote:But it feels like theyre rushing this thing, ALOT...and this is the kind of game you would not want to rush...after hours of making it look pretty you would not want to make it ugly in gameplay.
This is all 4Kids' fault too, isn't it? Those bastards!

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

Neo Chaotikal wrote:
SegaSonic wrote:But it feels like theyre rushing this thing, ALOT...and this is the kind of game you would not want to rush...after hours of making it look pretty you would not want to make it ugly in gameplay.
This is all 4Kids' fault too, isn't it? Those bastards!
Thats a failed troll right there.

I'm in shock. From what i saw on that video, the only difference was it was in english. Fucking nothing has been fixed since i last saw it 2-3 months ago. Hell, i'm starting to wonder if Rouge's eyelashes are still randomly flying around.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Youre not just saying this crap to school us "hardcore" folk on another life lesson, are you?

Neo

Post by Neo »

One Classy Bloke wrote:Thats a failed troll right there.
Oh sir, I'm terribly sorry that the quality of my sarcastic interlude was far too lean for your majesty's tastes. Perhaps a knock-knock joke is in order?

THEbigLANDMAN

Post by THEbigLANDMAN »

Pardon if that has already been posted; I've been offline for some months...

It's regarding the last trailer which has some cut scenes and a sweet surprise in the end. At the moment, the music is the only aspect of this game that doesn't disgusts me, the rest has already been commented for all and it's all said. Here's the link:

Trailer Oct. 24 (28Mb)

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

Neo Chaotikal wrote:
One Classy Bloke wrote:Thats a failed troll right there.
Oh sir, I'm terribly sorry that the quality of my sarcastic interlude was far too lean for your majesty's tastes. Perhaps a knock-knock joke is in order?
You suggested that SegaSonic would accuse 4Kids for rushing this game and allowing shitty gameplay. He didn't mention 4Kids at all in that post you responded to, thus why bring up 4Kids at all yourself? It was a pathetic troll attempt to piss off someone well known for their dislike of 4Kids.
FlashTHD wrote:Youre not just saying this crap to school us "hardcore" folk on another life lesson, are you?
You're a sharp one, aren't you.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

THEbigLANDMAN wrote:Trailer Oct. 24 (28Mb)
Yeah, that's a fairly old video, and for some reason we're not even 100% sure the West gets that song at the end.

Apology accepted, though; it happens.