Sonic Riders PC port

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
big_smile
Drano Master

Sonic Riders PC port

Post by big_smile »

Sega America have announced that Sonic Riders is to receive a PC port. A release date hasn't been set, but the game will retail for $19.95.

"Sonic Riders adds a new and exciting dimension to PC racing games," said Scott A. Steinberg, Vice President of Marketing, Sega of America. "The blending of the action-racing genre and the Sonic franchise has created a racing game that is appealing and accessible to both Sonic fans and casual gamers alike."

(Source: Game Biz)

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Hooray, maybe I won't have to buy it now.

Just kidding, I'm going to buy it anyway. I noticed my Wal-Mart has Shadow for $20 finally, so I'm asking again: Which version of Shadow and Riders should I get? GameCube or Xbox?

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Coincidence. I was just about to post that I'm giving away my copy of Shadow, Gamecube version, to spare someone else the travesty of paying for it. I'd recommend it over the other versions from what's been said. The gamecube controls were tight; I never died because of them. The English acting destroys what little there may have been to enjoy from the scenes with a proficiency that exceeded my expectations, but I feel that being able to finish the game as fast and effortlessly as possible is worthy compensation. I don't have the manual or the original box, but both of those can be viewed online. If you're interested, PM me an address.

Ryan the Game Master

Post by Ryan the Game Master »

I have the Xbox version, and it plays rather well. Heck, either one's better than the PS2 version.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

Hopefully this means there's a PC demo, I was more interested about trying Riders than Shadow but not to a point where I cared enough to actually look for an opportunity to play it.

Gamerguy

Post by Gamerguy »

Sega of America has announced the release date for the PC version on their Sonic Riders page. It should ship to US stores sometime in November. Although it hasn't been said, it's probably safe to assume this is going to be the same day Sonic the Hedgehog (360, PS3), Sonic Rivals (PSP), and Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis (GBA) hit the shelves - November 14th. The game will be released on a DVD as opposed to the CD format used by the other Sonic PC ports. Sega hasn't announced anything other than the details we have above, but I wouldn't expect any new features from the original GC/PS2/Xbox version.

</journalist tone>

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Late, but the warning needs to get out. Get Riders on the PC. Not a console. The console version will rape your joysticks with its rotation stages. I've killed three before I realized what was going on.

Edit: I suppose it would rape any joystick you have for the PC as well. I'm not a PC gamer, so when I hear computer games, I think of things done with arrows and the space bar.

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

DackAttac wrote:Late, but the warning needs to get out. Get Riders on the PC. Not a console. The console version will rape your joysticks with its rotation stages. I've killed three before I realized what was going on.

Edit: I suppose it would rape any joystick you have for the PC as well. I'm not a PC gamer, so when I hear computer games, I think of things done with arrows and the space bar.
For those bits you tap left and right, even with controllers.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Well, hot damn then. I'd hock my console version for the PC version, but then I remembered—my bastard college forced me into buying a Mac. The first Sonic game in years I legitimately really liked, and it commits Gamecube controller genocide.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Dude, just stop spinning it so hard. In most of those areas spinning doesn't even speed you up, and once you get good at the game running out of air should never be a problem. I just casually spun it two or three times a second to top off my air gauge and never had trouble getting first.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

The game is available for pre-order from Amazon now.

http://www.amazon.com/Sega-of-America-8 ... 37-0913664

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

That demo was a lot more fun than I was expecting, considering how hard everybody bitched about this being such a terrible game.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I dunno, I was in the middle of the second lap when some hardware went bad and Windows threw an exception. Funnily enough, I could still play for a while after that before the BSOD came up, although the sound inbetween was roughly equivalent to scratching your fingernails on an infinitely long chalkboard.

On the plus side, you can choose to use Japanese VAs.

EDIT: Tried it a second time. Crashed my computer even <b>faster</b> this time. This game is a buggy wreck. It might be a FUN buggy wreck, but I wouldn't know, the game keeps crashing my computer.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

It plays flawlessly for me. It's suprisingly fairly easy to control with just a keyboard.

Also, the data folder contains a bunch of music and other stuff from the game that isn't used in the demo.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

I've played at least a dozen times now and had not a single crash. Every now and then when I start it up, it'll tell me "GAME CAN ONLY BE STARTED FROM LAUNCHER." (even if I used the launcher)

But besides that, nope... no crashes yet.

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

Ugh, just my luck that the demo absolutely refuses to work at all on any of the computers in my house. The box with Sonic and Jet comes up, I click "Play" and moments later I get an "Error, Needs to close, Sorry for the inconvenience" message and that's as far as I get. I was looking forward to trying this, too.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

BlazeHedgehog wrote:That demo was a lot more fun than I was expecting, considering how hard everybody bitched about this being such a terrible game.
The first few tracks are fun. Playing trial laps by yourself is fun. Some of the earliest challenges in the mission mode are fun. Battling the CPU starting around the fourth track in Story Mode and playing Grand Prix (where you need to do practically flawless to get the two secret tracks, and there's two of them) is not fun.

In short, it's a lot like the Sonic Heroes demo; you think it's fun until you play the complete game.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Yeah, but, the Sonic Heroes Demo wasn't really... that fun. The Heroes PC demo was more like, "Eh, this isn't SO bad... but it's still not very good."

This I find myself replaying over and over again quite a bit.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Ugh, just my luck that the demo absolutely refuses to work at all on any of the computers in my house. The box with Sonic and Jet comes up, I click "Play" and moments later I get an "Error, Needs to close, Sorry for the inconvenience" message and that's as far as I get. I was looking forward to trying this, too.
same here! what could be the problem?

all the other DEMOs worked fine.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

BlazeHedgehog wrote:Yeah, but, the Sonic Heroes Demo wasn't really... that fun. The Heroes PC demo was more like, "Eh, this isn't SO bad... but it's still not very good."

This I find myself replaying over and over again quite a bit.
I wound up loving the whole damn game, just so you know it's possible.