Sonic Next-Gen - 30 new screens - Shadow not in car shocker!

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Rlan
News Guy

Sonic Next-Gen - 30 new screens - Shadow not in car shocker!

Post by Rlan »

[New topic should be made since this is techically a newsboard, though most users just get it via the forum :P]

Shadow X Shadow <z z3

http://www.xboxyde.com/news_3273_en.html

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Is that the other new hedgehog character in the last screenshot because if it is it looks even lamer than Silver!

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Reading the GAF thread on this makes me want to kill something. Some of those guys are some of the most elitist, snob-nosed pricks I think I've ever seen.

Professor Machenstein

Post by Professor Machenstein »

BlazeHedgehog wrote:Reading the GAF thread on this makes me want to kill something. Some of those guys are some of the most elitist, snob-nosed pricks I think I've ever seen.
I second that notion.

On second thought, I don't know exactly how to feel about these screenshots either. There are things that excite me and there are things that raise my doubts. Sonic is running loops, Shadow is out of the vehicles, without guns, and is doing Chaos powers instead, so it's all good. Then there are dubious things like that new hedgehog, those gothic looking environments, and... those purple cycloptic alien monsters. I'm so confused at pretty much every aspect about this game. Also, textures need work, but I suppose they look that way because the screenshots are so big.

Overall, decent, but dubious. Not good, not great, not OMFG SONIC IS DEAD GO TO HELL SEGA, just decent. I agree, GAF is over responding. Still, I wish SEGA would show less of these "dark" levels too. So far we have seen Kingdom Valley, Crisis City, some jungle level and this volcanic cave. There's more out there.
Last edited by Professor Machenstein on Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

I think these screenshots look great. Some of the environments are kind of blurry, but when you really get down to it, they aren't much blurrier than most other Next-gen games.

The lighting looks much better, too. Much more natural. (Although, the typical "super pixelly self-shadowing" is kind of off-putting)

Menander

Post by Menander »

It's kind of annoying how the majority of these screenshots are taken from crazy angles that we will never actually see when we play the game.

That turtle makes me happy.

Post by Guest »

Shadow out of the car and no guns makes segasonic happy.

Whos that? Dark Shadow? Poison Shadow? Evil Alien Shadow?

what ever it is, looks like Shadow will have an evil Clone.

Im digging the Jungle level.

The dark level is good aslong as its a cave or volcano.

IM LOVING IT.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Shadow's powers worry me a bit. I wonder with the amount of enemies onscreen with him if his levels won't have a heavy focus on repetitive combat.

And OCB, how about a little confirmation on that new hedgehog, yes?

Sniffnoy

Post by Sniffnoy »

Anonymous wrote:what ever it is, looks like Shadow will have an evil Clone.
Yes, an evil duplicate of the evil duplicate.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Are the robots in the first shot GUN robots? They look pretty GUNish to me.
As for that new hedgehog, I'll just ignore it for now. It probably has something to do with the storyline but I can't be arsed to make any more speculations.

MiraiTails

Post by MiraiTails »

BlazeHedgehog wrote:Reading the GAF thread on this makes me want to kill something. Some of those guys are some of the most elitist, snob-nosed pricks I think I've ever seen.
GAF?

FlashTHD-forgottologin

Post by FlashTHD-forgottologin »

Je-zus, somebody needs to shrink or remove those shots from the first post. My terrible connection takes over four minutes to make the topic itself even appear on my screen with that crap up there.

The GUN Hawk robots...that is odd, but I guess Eggman's been stealing design docs or something, since I don't see the GUN insignia on them.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

MiraiTails wrote:
GAF?
Gaming Age Forums. I should probably refer to them as NeoGAF now, as they split off and became a seperate entity of the Gaming Age Website. It's basically... a hangout for tons of game designers/developers/journalists.

I suppose if you wanted to, you could liken it to a gaming version of Studio 54, but with less drugs and more whining. The thread Rlan got these shots from is nothing but "Sega is dead to me" and "These graphics almost looks worse than Sonic Wildfire" bitching. If there's one thing I've picked up from my scant few visits to the GAF, is that there's a lot of bandwagon-ism that goes on over there. While you can't blame them, Sonic has become "cool" for them to hate. Before Rlan linked me to the GAF thread for these shots, I happened across one a month or so ago where they essentially spent 5 pages ripping Sonic Rush to shreds for being the worst DS game ever.

Basically, Imagine the GHZ forums at five times it's current size, ten times the bitter cynicism, and a 9-month waiting list for registration. That's GAF.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Locit wrote:Shadow's powers worry me a bit. I wonder with the amount of enemies onscreen with him if his levels won't have a heavy focus on repetitive combat.
It looks like he's in a boss battle with the crystal hedgehog and the black creatures form the boundaries. My predictions for the 4th hedgehog are someone's son, Shadow from the future, or a Frieza ripoff (his limbs sport purple crystals and he's charging a recolored Deathball).

Professor Machenstein

Post by Professor Machenstein »

BlazeHedgehog wrote:Before Rlan linked me to the GAF thread for these shots, I happened across one a month or so ago where they essentially spent 5 pages ripping Sonic Rush to shreds for being the worst DS game ever.

Basically, Imagine the GHZ forums at five times it's current size, ten times the bitter cynicism, and a 9-month waiting list for registration. That's GAF.
I had the misfortune of visting that place too. They jump to conclusions too freakin' fast and do not seem capable of rational criticizing. They just scream whatever everyone else is screaming. I don't blame them for being so skeptical, but why do they bother posting in a thread about a subject they seemingly don't care enough about to give a decent response to, or think rationally of for that matter? Big deal. So you didn't find Sonic Rush to be as great as many people said it was; does that mean you should make a five page long discussion about why it's the worst game in the whole world? I don't know what we did to them, but whatever we did, they need to get over it.

Back on topic, OCB, if you're here, now that the crystalline character is revealed, would you mind telling us more of him, if you have any information you would like to share?

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot. Rlan, I think you should consider either turning the pictures into links or shrinking the pictures down to half-size, if you find any option necessary.

Sipp

Post by Sipp »

It looks like Cockahog (Silver) to me. I mean, it's the same pose as the picture above, he seems to be using teh powerz...

I'm hoping D:

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Sipp wrote:It looks like Cockahog (Silver) to me. I mean, it's the same pose as the picture above, he seems to be using teh powerz...

I'm hoping D:
Except the dude Shadow is fighting has red eyes and appears to be purple.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

It could be a 'super' form or just a transformation. It's not impossible.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

It's Iizuka.

Post by Guest »

I guess I'm the only one excited about this hedgehog,he looks like
Shadow but since this game has people coming from the future who knows,he could be anybody,pay no eye to GAF they're justing acting like
idiots.In some screenshots Shadow kinda looked alot more like Sonic
than usual,he looks like he lost some of his red streeks in some.

SgtKingKong

Post by SgtKingKong »

An observation I found at GameFAQS. Look at this shot taken by Knux Chao at GameFAQS. It appears that this new hedgehog becomes your shadow while he sends his minions to attack you.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

WOW! now Shadow's name actually means something.

Nah.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

SgtKingKong wrote:An observation I found at GameFAQS. Look at this shot taken by Knux Chao at GameFAQS. It appears that this new hedgehog becomes your shadow while he sends his minions to attack you.
Hey, that's actually pretty cool. It plays (albeit in rather primitive terms) thematically with Shadow's name/identity in a rather neat way.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

I don't think that's the case. I think in that screenshot, Shadow doesn't have a shadow. The crystally boss dude is floating over his head, creating a shadow beneath Shadow.

Sonic doesn't have a shadow in this screenshot, for example.

No shadow in this one, either.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

But the characters not having shadows normally is consistent with the idea of the enemy hedgehog 'becoming' them. (Maybe it's part of the plot or some shit, god knows.) Either way, the shadow in the screenshot demonstrated by this mysterious Knux Chao character is clearly coloured, and I'm sure not even Sonic Team would stoop to deliberately adding colour to shadows in order to make them even uglier.