Sonic Next-Gen - 30 new screens - Shadow not in car shocker!

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

The Dragonball Z parallels are in force in this game. Prepare to roll your eyes out of your head at some points. Prepare for some copypasta too. I'm not gonna say how though, it'll ruin the surprise and frustration.
:evil: :evil: :evil: RAR!!!

No, you can tell theyre DBZTARDS already. Super Sonic was the only DBZ reference and it was OK, but now its gotten out of hand, it was evident starting in SA2.

Sonic and Shadow turning Super, and then in Heroes..only Sonic turned Super. And now 3 Hedgehogs as the main Heroes AND ONE OF THEM IS FROM THE FUTURE?? please dont tell me Silver is related to "someone"

Its ovious they made Hedgehog = Saiyans, as theyre mainly the only ones to turn super and they are the only ones to save the day.

Being a Fan of DBZ is ok as long as you dont bring DBZ everywhere!!! then it gets supid and annoying, specially if you like the Funimation version.

I guess Oshima controlled the DBZtards in the past, given that he left after SA1, theyve gone bezerk and Sonic Is doomed good if thats the case.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

There are worse things to be drawing reference from. besides, the dbz story line with its quircks and gimmicks are practically engrained in anime and manga culture these days. Also when sonic went super in the early games, it was said to be a parody of dragonball as opposed to a copy. With sonic being a video game character it might serve you better to think of this new game as such also.

But anyways screw the story. How's about that gameplay bloke? Has that crap been tightened up at all? The story won't matter without at least solid gameplay to back it up.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

We all know that DB and DBZ is based on Journey To The West and <i>that's</i> what's ingrained in anime and manga culture? Yes? Okay.

Neo

Post by Neo »

I get a headache every time I attempt to read one of SegaSonic's posts.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:just a question, is Eggman the big villain this time? or is it some stupid over sized monster
Neither, it’s actually Gypsies.

That’s right, Gypsies. The town stages mission mode sees Sonic running around picking up Gypsy litter. Other reports confirm the story will revolve around reporting those nasty Gypsies to the council, informing them of illegal Gypsy caravan parks, and thus beating Gypsies round the face with the very tambourines they helped create.
I'd play that game.

Also, Del is a dirty lying whore. Nobody reads ancient Chinese literature.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Del while that might be true I am referring specifically to DBZ here (powering up, transformations, beams, time travel, fusions, pacing).

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

But anyways screw the story. How's about that gameplay bloke? Has that crap been tightened up at all? The story won't matter without at least solid gameplay to back it up.
Youre no better than the people making this crap story.
I get a headache every time I attempt to read one of SegaSonic's posts.
Do you think I care?

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

You start playing a Sonic game for the story, and, well, all hope is lost. =P

That said, the story should at least be enjoyable and not embarassing. While not an absolute requirement, a good storyline can add a lot to a bad game. (and a bad story can take a lot out of a good game)

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

BlazeHedgehog wrote:You start playing a Sonic game for the story, and, well, all hope is lost. =P

That said, the story should at least be enjoyable and not embarassing. While not an absolute requirement, a good storyline can add a lot to a bad game. (and a bad story can take a lot out of a good game)
Thankyou,

This goes with music and voice acting too, Im tired of muting the game, I want good Music/Voice acting dammit.

My point is, Stop saying that the new games suck now if you dont care about certain aspects of a game. Sonic's old games were good because they were perfect.

Good Story,Music,Gameplay, Graphics and Voices until they decided to fire them all.

Professor Machenstein

Post by Professor Machenstein »

One Classy Bloke wrote:Overall, it's a decent story. Most of the character's have been used quite well and have decent enough personalities. Sonic's story seems a bit pointless to me. Shadow's is quite good considering his past works, much less emo now. Silver is pretty much the star really, having the best story of the three and some pretty powerful twists.
Hmm... I don't like the sound of that. So Silver in favor of Sonic this time, on a story standpoint no less. What about all that Iblis Trigger stuff, doesn't Sonic have any involvement with that? You don't have to reveal anything, I'm just asking.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Sonic's been out of the spotlight for a while now. It was pretty evenly shared in SA1, but from SA2 on the focus has been on Shadow. All of Sonic's lines and plot progressions have been pretty boring. Shadow usurped him as the badass of the series and had an element of mystery that made him the natural center of attention. I guess Sonic team either thinks there's nothing interesting left to do with Sonic or that his very presence is so impressive that he doesn't actually need to do anything cool.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

The real question is who has the most levels.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

From what I understand any of the 3 characters can go into any level, but the way you finish it is different for each one. Maybe.

Post by Guest »

[quote="SegaSonic Sonic's old games were good because they were perfect.quote]

XD

Forza Johnman

Post by Forza Johnman »

I thought it was set up like a time attack. You unlock a level in story mode and you could then play it as any character.

From what I understand Sonic doesn't actually need a reason to run around really fast and stop Eggman from taking over the world. Besides Bloke said it was a decent story, it just has parallels with DBZ. As long as Tails doesn't die and Sonic goes Super Sayain because of it, It might be ok.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Forza Johnman wrote:I thought it was set up like a time attack. You unlock a level in story mode and you could then play it as any character.

From what I understand Sonic doesn't actually need a reason to run around really fast and stop Eggman from taking over the world. Besides Bloke said it was a decent story, it just has parallels with DBZ. As long as Tails doesn't die and Sonic goes Super Sayain because of it, It might be ok.
Wouldn't it be the other way around?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Frieza2000 wrote:Sonic's been out of the spotlight for a while now. It was pretty evenly shared in SA1, but from SA2 on the focus has been on Shadow. All of Sonic's lines and plot progressions have been pretty boring. Shadow usurped him as the badass of the series and had an element of mystery that made him the natural center of attention. I guess Sonic team either thinks there's nothing interesting left to do with Sonic or that his very presence is so impressive that he doesn't actually need to do anything cool.
Sonic is suffering from Mickey Mouse syndrome. When Mickey debuted, he was a kind of mischevious character who was always getting into trouble. But as the character gained popularity and became a sort of corporate symbol, they had to cut his balls off. After all, Mickey Mouse was now the face of Disney. That meant he could never say or do anything that would be mean or objectionable.

Sonic is in the same boat. There are no interesting narratives about Sonic because Sonic isn't allowed to DO anything. He can never get too sad, or too angry, or too anything else, because he is the face of a corporation. And how do you make an interesting story about a character who can't emote? By making him the straight man, and adding a less "virtuous" character to generate audience intrest. In other words, Shadow is like an angsty, gun-toting Donald Duck.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

But have you seen more recent Mickey stuff? They're starting to give him a personality again. I was kind of surprised when I sat down to watch one of those Mickey Christmas specials (Once Upon a Christmas, I think?) and see Mickey Mouse totally flip out and shout at Pluto for accidentally wrecking his Christmas decorations.

It was like, "Whoa. Mickey Mouse actually got pissed off."

And then there was this. But that was made in 1995, so it really doesn't count as "recent".
Last edited by BlazeHedgehog on Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neo

Post by Neo »

BlazeHedgehog wrote:Wouldn't it be the other way around?
I believe he's referencing the Sonic - Tails / Goku - Krillin relation: Krillin was Goku's first best friend, just like Tails was Sonic's, they trained and fought together during their childhood; later on in DBZ, Krillin gets killed by Frieza, which angers Goku to the point where he turns into a Super Saiyan.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

BlazeHedgehog wrote:And then there was this. But that was made in 1995, so it really doesn't count as "recent".
Haha, I remember that! It was shown before some Disney produced (much crappier) movie. I remember being impressed that (1) it had Kelsey Grammar in it and (2) he died in a pretty grisly and hilarious manner (desintegration), at least for a Mickey Mouse cartoon. It's actually pretty good, or at least good enough that I remembered it long after whatever the actual main feature was was over.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

In the almost words of Shadow: HOLY MOTHER F*****!?

And by the way, I never realised that Minnie dressed like an almost slut, her underwear is always in view.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

You have no idea how hard I started laughing when, playing GTA: San Andreas when suddenly CJ actually said, "Holy motherfucker!"

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Esrever wrote:Sonic is suffering from Mickey Mouse syndrome. When Mickey debuted, he was a kind of mischevious character who was always getting into trouble. But as the character gained popularity and became a sort of corporate symbol, they had to cut his balls off. After all, Mickey Mouse was now the face of Disney. That meant he could never say or do anything that would be mean or objectionable.

Sonic is in the same boat. There are no interesting narratives about Sonic because Sonic isn't allowed to DO anything. He can never get too sad, or too angry, or too anything else, because he is the face of a corporation. And how do you make an interesting story about a character who can't emote? By making him the straight man, and adding a less "virtuous" character to generate audience intrest. In other words, Shadow is like an angsty, gun-toting Donald Duck.
Absurd. Not only is Sega nothing like Disney, but
Is Sonic still an appropriate mascot for Sega in 2006?
Sonic Team: In Japan we don't feel like Sonic is the mascot for Sega all the time. In Japan people tend to feel that the latest product represents the company, the latest trend. So if Sega came up with a dog character, people in Japan will think the dog represents Sega. But when I meet people from abroad, they still think Sonic is the mascot. But Sega is about more than one game.
From an interview that cropped up around E3 time.

Sonic was represented poorly in Heroes and Shadow, but his personality is still intact. Watch some of his cutscenes in Riders.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

I think you're on the right track Esrever, but I doubt corporate pressure is the reason. I don't know about in Japan, but I don't see Sonic doing his mascotting gig much anymore. I think it’s more likely that they made him a more traditional hero to make the series more kid friendly. I think Shadow was originally supposed to be more of a secondary character than he turned out to be (like Vegeta), and that, if they did decide to bring him back and continue the anti-hero thing, he’d still always come out second to Sonic (like Vegeta). But then Sonic Team gave the kids what they actually wanted.

That, or they wanted him to more closely parallel Goku. Both are equally believable hypotheses at this point.

Lurking Guest

Post by Lurking Guest »

Locit wrote:
BlazeHedgehog wrote:And then there was this. But that was made in 1995, so it really doesn't count as "recent".
Haha, I remember that! It was shown before some Disney produced (much crappier) movie. I remember being impressed that (1) it had Kelsey Grammar in it and (2) he died in a pretty grisly and hilarious manner (desintegration), at least for a Mickey Mouse cartoon. It's actually pretty good, or at least good enough that I remembered it long after whatever the actual main feature was was over.
I remember I had my Mom take me to see that stupid Disney movie (something about a baseball player going into Medievel times) just to see the short. After the short was over, I prompted us to leave. I was spoiled back then.

I'll, uh, get back to lurking now. Carry on.