Sonic Next-Gen - 30 new screens - Shadow not in car shocker!

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Professor Machenstein

Post by Professor Machenstein »

Just to lighten up the mood here, and to not let this thread decend into another "4Kids is killing Sonic" rant-a-thon, there's another preview out there from a magazine, I think PSM or something, saying they played the lastest build and said they liked it. They said while the levels felt like race tracks, it doesn't mean they are linear. There are suppose to be "secrets" and "alternate routes" hidden everywhere or something.

It's not much, but there's also this. It's from OPM, scanned by ultrasonic, and it's somewhat positive; it says they liked Sonic and Silver's gameplay, despite being completely different, and the game got a "boiling" on the anticipation heat level thingy. *Shrugs*

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Did they already announce that the more rings you have the faster Sonic goes? Because it's news to me.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Yeah, that was stated back during the E3 media rush.

A lot more is wrong with Sonic now than just Ohshima being gone. It's not like Ohshima is this magic being who blesses everything he touches; look at Blinx and Pinobee.

I mean, hell, even Iizuka was listed as Primary Game Designer on NiGHTS.

Sonicteam was just that - a team. They worked together to create an awesome product. However, time has taken it's toll on the team - Ohshima, Yasuhara, and Naka have all parted ways to seperate companies, plus who knows how many other folks we've never even heard of influencing this or that.

One man isn't going to be able to wave a magic wand and suddenly Sonic will be cool again. No way in hell.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

One man isn't going to be able to wave a magic wand and suddenly Sonic will be cool again. No way in hell.
You never know...heh.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Except I do, because Ohshima has made even worse failures than the Sonic series during his run at Artoon.

Infact, of the three I mentioned, only Yasuhara has actually joined a successful company, which was successful long before he joined anyway, giving us no meter as to what his design skills happened to change/influence/improve on over there.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Sonic is the coolest character everyone tries to "fix" but end up destroying him. For Oshima and every artist, trying to create something new sucks..that is what happened to oshima at ARTOON.

Oshima directed Sonic CD and Nights... arguably the best games of the Team, he also pointed the Team in the right direction. Did you know Sonic 3 was almost a 3D gimmick game if it wasnt for Oshima?

Oshima just had that little spark that gave Sonic his charm, HE DREW THE DARN HEDGEHOG FOR GOODNESS SAKE! He gave Sonic that unique Anime feel. Belive me, if I created something, no matter my position on a company I would fight to preserve my ideals for it. Like the one who created Tails, he persisted his name should be Miles..and he succeded.

No one knows something more than its creator.

But the new team just thinks on gameplay and realistic graphics.

and Iizuka is just bent on destroying Sonic.

CE

Post by CE »

SS, what you're saying makes no sense. If creating something new sucks, then how is it that Sonic was not sucky?

Besides, I don't know anyone who thinks that the art sucks or the programming sucks in the recent Sonic games. It's the LEVEL DESIGN that sucks. Why are there bottomless pits everywhere in Shadow? Why are there so many cheap deaths in the FIRST STAGE?

If anyone could save Sonic, it'd be Yasuhara.

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

FlashTHD-forgottologin wrote: How the hell is it that previews for this game get worse and worse as time goes? I'd want to read the Gamepro preview again over that steaming shlock.
games radar wrote:Sonic Team seems to have moved away from the old foes. Where are Buzzbomber and Crabmeat?
At least these guys are on the right track.

There is no one person who can come along and breathe new life into the Sonic franchise. Fuck, even Heroes had some pretty good gameplay ideas going on. The thing that is making Sonic suck nowadays is the fact that nobody at Sonic Team really seems to give a shit any more. Sonic Heroes had the potential to be a fantastic game, the whole "play as three characters" idea was a great way to emphasise the abilities of each group member without having to alter the way the game plays. The unfortunate thing is that the Team just did a really half-assed job and we ended up with a linear, glitchy, fundamentally flawed mess.

No matter how good a game looks on paper, if it is built by a bunch of people who either don't care enough or don't have the time to make it properly, then it is going to be bad. No one man can change that.

Post by Guest »

Hybrid wrote:
FlashTHD-forgottologin wrote: How the hell is it that previews for this game get worse and worse as time goes? I'd want to read the Gamepro preview again over that steaming shlock.
games radar wrote:Sonic Team seems to have moved away from the old foes. Where are Buzzbomber and Crabmeat?
At least these guys are on the right track.

There is no one person who can come along and breathe new life into the Sonic franchise. Fuck, even Heroes had some pretty good gameplay ideas going on. The thing that is making Sonic suck nowadays is the fact that nobody at Sonic Team really seems to give a shit any more. Sonic Heroes had the potential to be a fantastic game, the whole "play as three characters" idea was a great way to emphasise the abilities of each group member without having to alter the way the game plays. The unfortunate thing is that the Team just did a really half-assed job and we ended up with a linear, glitchy, fundamentally flawed mess.

No matter how good a game looks on paper, if it is built by a bunch of people who either don't care enough or don't have the time to make it properly, then it is going to be bad. No one man can change that.
Exactly, the motivation is missing, the creative force.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Sup doods. Sega must've pumped out new preview copies to all media outlets because EGM has a preview, too. With - gasp shock - a bit of actually new information. Scans, provided by moi:

Pages 1 and 2 deal exclusively with Sonic 2k6. Images are roughly 200kb each, so please, be gentle.

Page 1, big honkin' image and intro text.
Page 2, the meat of the preview.
Page 3 talks up Sonic Wildfire.
Page 4 is Sonic Rivals and misc information (Naka moving to Prope, etc).

Points of interest:

- Shadow in 2k6 does infact wield firearms (no images shown, but the preview mentions it)

- Minigames are accessible from Town Stages (Tag, Races and Quizzes)

- Another vote for "Sonic 2k6 controls just like Sonic Adventure, with the same pit-deaths and horrible camera controls."

- Sonic Wildfire is strictly a solo-Sonic affair - at least for singleplayer. They mention adding party games, so no doubt Tails, Knuckles, and the rest of the Sonic crew will turn up there.

- Sonic Rivals is shaping up, but the gameplay sounds kind of lose and floaty.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

BlazeHedgehog wrote:- Shadow in 2k6 does infact wield firearms (no images shown, but the preview mentions it)
Oh, well, fuck. I know there's been a lot of whining about 2k6 not being enough like a 'normal' Sonic game, but come on. I can't shake a sneaking suspiscion that you'll only be playing as Sonic for about a third of the game.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

I hope the guns thing is a mistake.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

I can honestly say I'm that excited about this game, but this image in particular is pretty cool:

http://images.xboxyde.com/gallery/publi ... 4_0007.jpg

MiraiTails

Post by MiraiTails »

I think that's from the "opening" movie that's been going around since E3, if I'm not mistaken.

Other S2K6 points from the article Blaze posted:

Online Multiplayer - "maybe"
Support PS3's motion-sensing controller - "unlikely"
Hidden Playable Characters - "count on it"

I thought these were worth mentioning, for those of you who don't feel like taking a look at the article.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

Shadow once again is burdened with firearms, fudge.

On the other hand I love how just as with Shadow in the beginning, Silver is being lauded over.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

CE wrote:SS, what you're saying makes no sense. If creating something new sucks, then how is it that Sonic was not sucky?

Besides, I don't know anyone who thinks that the art sucks or the programming sucks in the recent Sonic games. It's the LEVEL DESIGN that sucks. Why are there bottomless pits everywhere in Shadow? Why are there so many cheap deaths in the FIRST STAGE?

If anyone could save Sonic, it'd be Yasuhara.
I guess he tried to say that changing something that is already cool makes it sucks...
SegaSonic wrote:In my opinion, Sonic the comic is just another messy comic.

the animal friends as human bodied friends?

Super Sonic a villian?

the origins of Sonic saying he was a brown hedgehog and other stupid info.

and a bunch of other ridiculous stuff, including cone head Eggman.

I mean come on, anyone can create something better than this.

for example.

http://www.soniccomic.co.uk/
Sonic the comic was the only comic that was based at least a bit in the games. Sure the first few comics weren’t that good. But after Robotnik took over Mobius things started to improve. We had a Knuckles that wasn’t “thatâ€￾ gullible, a Tails that changed from wimp into a good sidekick, Knuckles using the floating island to destroy the Death Egg, “Robot Sonicsâ€￾ that keep getting better and better; Super Sonic being a treat to whole Mobius instead of being a deux ex machina. A Robotnik that could use the power of the chaos emeralds, and so on...

And at first when Sonic comics weren’t that good, they where other comics in Sonic the comic, like Shinobi, it also had game reviews, speediness and published cheats for Sega games. Sure that doesn’t sound so good now, but think about a time with no Internet, you could get two or three comics about Sega characters, game reviews and game cheats in the same magazine!.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Well, in the sense that Sonic aint a pimp who kisses girls all the time, yeah..Sonic the Comic is better..but only to archie.

Sonic the Comic used their ideas to produce action scenes instead of stupid kissing scenes, so yeah.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Yeah, girls have cooties!!! Bleach!

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

BlazeHedgehog wrote:Bleach!
But that would ruin all my colored garments!

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

With all the talk of Shadow once again wielding guns, a vital piece of information has been missed on the second scan. At the top right of Shadow's image, its says:
Good news: Playing as Shadow is optional.
By the sounds of it, Shadow being there wont reduce Sonic's game time.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Sonic Games sould really have 80's music again, thats one of the reasons he sucks now. the 80's ruled.

basicaly POP/dance music = Sonic.

Music artists like Black Box! or even Alice Deejay.

Their melody of their music Im not talking about voice and lyrics.
Last edited by SegaSonic on Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I dunno about you, but I've heard Senoue's usual guitar riffs commonly called 80s Rock by plenty of critics. Regardless, the music's just fine, and that's not the issue at hand.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Hello, dance music aint rock.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Hello, you didn't specify "pop" when I posted and edited that in after the fact. You just said "80's music".

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Oh Im so sorry about that...my bad. :PB:

So yeah, the upbeat dance music of the 80's is what kept the coolness going, Oshima knew this.

Dance Music has depth and it is upbeat, giving a sence of vastness and coolness.