Nintendo Magazine WildFire article: Yojiro Interview

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.

Post by Guest »

Yes moving away from my discussion,like shadowhog just said,
what do you people think is a original character design and way?

CM August

Post by CM August »

I merely think one should go for a character design that looks unique without also looking retarded. A character's appearance should preferably also fit in with whatever world was designed around it.

Post by Guest »

@CM August
That was a great response,perfect!If only half the world thought like
that we would have funny cartoons without grossout jokes and retarded
characters.Any one else?

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

All of this Guest's posts seem to me to be terrible poems that don't rhyme.

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

For a new sonic character to look good, it has to follow one principle (which also applies for most fancharacters):

- Don't look like a recolour of an existing character with clothes and extra dongles.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

- Don't look like a recolour of an existing character with clothes and extra dongles.
I wasn't aware that any Sonic character had dongles, much less extra ones.

Post by Guest »

If my post sound like poems that don't rhyme or poems peroid,
I assure you that it was a accident.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Referring to how you break up
all your posts this way
is really what Double-S-'s
trying to say.

To add to that problem,
this one is a shame:
the lack of all rhyming
makes it much more laaaaaaaaaaame.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

One Classy Bloke wrote:For a new sonic character to look good, it has to follow one principle (which also applies for most fancharacters):

There are so many green/red/black/blue/purple/yellow bastards out there, I'd just love to see a fan-character out there who is just brown and prefferably without a special power.

Post by Guest »

westerners tend to suck at character design. The use of spandex in almost all american born heroes is extremely uninspired. Maybe I'm racist. All I know is that Mechwarrior robot designs and American RPG character designs make me want to vomit. Worse is in a last ditch attempt, many American designers are flocking to the art direction of the Japanese. The result is things like Sudeki and Teen Titans. Nuff said.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Worse is in a last ditch attempt, many American designers are flocking to the art direction of the Japanese. The result is things like Sudeki and Teen Titans. Nuff said.
Sort of like how the Japanese flocked to the art direction of the Americans first?

P.S. Your statement suspiously reeks of an Japanophile.

Post by Guest »

on another note though I think Tintin and Asterix and Obelix have wonderful character designs and respective art styles. I'm not a japanophile. I'm sorry that the designs from neverwinter nights, icewind dale, and everquest look like they were shat out of a machine. Blizzard creates nice designs. I think the FFXI designs are pretty soul-less too.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Naming three developers doesn't really cover 'westerners' as a whole, though, and you could just as easily accuse Japanese character design of being redundant and generic. You also said 'Nuff said' to conclude an almost nonexistant argument, outside of being guilty of saying 'Nuff said'. Finally,
Anonymous wrote:The use of spandex in almost all american born heroes is extremely uninspired. Maybe I'm racist.
What?

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Anonymous wrote:All I know is that Mechwarrior robot designs ... make me want to vomit.
And you like what better? Gundam? The thing is, Mechwarrior (and I am assuming you mean the MechWarrior series) is trying to be somewhat realistic... at least more realistic than putting heads and hands on what are nothing more than walking tanks.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Anonymous wrote:The use of spandex in almost all american born heroes is extremely uninspired.
Spandex was invented in 1959, DC's best known super-heroes were created before 1959.
Ngangbius wrote:
Worse is in a last ditch attempt, many American designers are flocking to the art direction of the Japanese. The result is things like Sudeki and Teen Titans. Nuff said.
Sort of like how the Japanese flocked to the art direction of the Americans first?

P.S. Your statement suspiously reeks of an Japanophile.
Apparently derivative crap is okay, so long as it is derivative of works from the same country.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

westerners tend to suck at character design.
!!!

The Japanese can be worse. Much worse.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

At least everyone doesn't look the fucking same in American and European games. I like Japanese art and all, but even I won't deny to admitting that most Japanese games have six or seven stock, default designs repeated endlessly with various little touches. Occassionally you have the unique looking title like Katamari Damacy or Under the Skin, but those kind of art designs are not typical of Japanese gaming.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

It's probably just because it's Japanese, right? ;)
God damnit people, I was making a JOKE. Why did you open this can of worms??

PS Mechwarrior designs are mostly ugly.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:westerners tend to suck at character design. The use of spandex in almost all american born heroes is extremely uninspired. Maybe I'm racist. All I know is that Mechwarrior robot designs and American RPG character designs make me want to vomit. Worse is in a last ditch attempt, many American designers are flocking to the art direction of the Japanese. The result is things like Sudeki and Teen Titans. Nuff said.
I'm not gonna even bring up my race related post from the other page,everyone seems to have handled this nicely.On topic:Wildfire looks really fun I hope they release more info!

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

Ok, here's some information for you, from a Sega employee. I haven't played it yet.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Zeta wrote:
I wasn't aware that any Sonic character had dongles, much less extra ones.
What a strangely erotic idea.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

So this game just got a name change to something really faggy.

http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2006/8/16-34

"Sonic and the Secret Rings"

...Yeah. I dont really get it, but I suspect the reason might be because Sonic Wild Fire was obviously some kind of Sonic Wi-fi thing, perhaps they no longer have wifi elements they were planning or something, I don't know.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

But I liked Sonic Wildfire.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I'm in 2 minds about that title. Part of me thinks it sounds crap yet at the same time I think it suits the storybook setting of the game. I prefered Wild Fire but ultimately the title isn't really that important.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

I can't decide which lame joke to make. Sonic Potter and the Secret Rings? One secret ring to rule them all? Sonic and the Secret Rings Around Uranus? Choices, choices.