Sega reflects on Sonic's achievements

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

mad_cat_42 wrote:not including Sean Connery's two-episode bit
How did this come to be?
How the hell did this come to be?

CM August

Post by CM August »

According to Wikipedia, it's true. However, Wikipedia sucks balls when it comes to reputable info.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

mad_cat_42 wrote:It's odd how Robotnik managed to get great voices up until 4Kids decided to take over for the games.
Nah. I think the ADV dub of the Sonic OAV has the worst Robotnik voice. Though, every voice sucked in that dub--which was not uncommon at time for ADV as a whole.

Forza Johnman

Post by Forza Johnman »

I thought the worse Robotnik voice was the Sonic Underground one. The others were all different but the SU voice was just generic big enemy voice. Can't remember the OVA voice at the moment though. The Archie Sonic Robotnik just sounded too evil though. Theres evil and then there is laughing at small puppies drowning evil.

I do think Mike Pollock is okay as Robotnik though.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

The Robotnik dubbed voice in the OAV sounded like a generic mad scientist voice and it is higher pitched than any of the other Robotnik voices. Nothing really special.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Forza Johnman wrote:The Archie Sonic Robotnik just sounded too evil though.
Archie Sonic is a comic book, so unless you're going insane, it does not have any "voices" whatsoever.

Now SatAM, on the other hand...

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

mad_cat_42 wrote:Ritz: You obviously do not know much about 4Kids.
I know plenty about them, my point is that replacing liquor with fries doesn't make a cartoon any better or worse. I can't stand it when people moan about petty little changes like that; no matter which way you cut it, it's still generic boring anime tripe.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

See, the thing is, with Baldry - the rest of the voice cast in AoStH was somewhat competant. I mean, I guess they were kind of typical cartoon voices, but they at least had decent direction. It was, overall, a pretty good cast (Yes, I liked Jaleel White as Sonic).

With Deem Bristow... the rest of the voice cast suffered from poor direction, but Deem did a really good job with it. Ryan Drummond has spoken before about how horrible the voice director was for the Sonic Adventure games - and if you've heard some of his other work (I think he had demos up on his site), he could probably do a pretty good job if he was given proper direction to do so. But Deem, despite how shit the rest of the actors were - Deem really made something of it and breathed life into Eggman. He was practically the lone shining star among the entire, terrible voice cast.

Therefore, his death would obviously have a bit more impact than Baldry, regardless of who was better than who.

Forza Johnman

Post by Forza Johnman »

Shadow Hog wrote: Archie Sonic is a comic book, so unless you're going insane, it does not have any "voices" whatsoever.

Now SatAM, on the other hand...
Meh, Thats what I say. Also that is what I meant.

I thought part of the problem with the direction in the Adventure games (less so Heroes) was that they had to make the line within the time of the Japanese voice overs. So say a line was 15 seconds long, the english voice actor would have to squeeze in their line within 15 seconds.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

From what Drummond said, at least concerning Sonic Adventure 1, they were basically handed a sheet of paper with a list of all their lines and had to say them all in one take. They were not allowed to review the game's script, and they didn't even know what characters they would be interacting with in a given scene. They just had to say all their lines, in the entire game, in one go.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Ritz wrote:
mad_cat_42 wrote:Ritz: You obviously do not know much about 4Kids.
I know plenty about them, my point is that replacing liquor with fries doesn't make a cartoon any better or worse. I can't stand it when people moan about petty little changes like that; no matter which way you cut it, it's still generic boring anime tripe.
cutting scenes and replacing stuff isnt the point, the point is that they changed all the musics and the dialog thus and replaced them with crap killing it even further.

also the voice actors suck and now theyre infecting the games.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

The games have never had any really great voice actors anyway. Eggman was ok, but that guy died. Drummond was an ok Sonic, I have no idea who is voicing him now, but I thought it was still him. Tails and Knuckles change all the time and always kinda suck. I wouldn't say they are infecting the games.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

The games have never had any really great voice actors anyway.
Ditto. I found the overreactive fanart response to the replacement issue hilarious. There was a piece of fanart that featured Sonic being hunged which I found to be particularly classy.

Anyway, Jason Griffin voices both Sonic and Shadow, apparently.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

Ngangbius wrote: Anyway, Jason Griffin voices both Sonic and Shadow, apparently.
From what I've heard he also voices Jet the Hawk in Riders and seems like he might be voicing Silver in next gen. He certainly has no shortage of characters to play anyway.

Personally I feel he's pretty much on par if not better than Drummond at Sonic anyway, although I'm not going to go as far to say I think either of them are actually good.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

The sad thing is some people are sill going to extreme measures over this voice actor shit.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the current voice actors and generally they're no worse than the previous ones who weren't particularly good anyway.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

James McGeachie wrote:
Ngangbius wrote: Anyway, Jason Griffin voices both Sonic and Shadow, apparently.
From what I've heard he also voices Jet the Hawk in Riders and seems like he might be voicing Silver in next gen. He certainly has no shortage of characters to play anyway.
Actually, I heard his voice was just a placeover for the E3 trailer and Silver will be given a different VA in the final product.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

I'd actually like Ryan Drummond to return if only because Jason Griffith sounds like a poor celebrity impersonator; like he's trying to do a Ryan Drummond impression.

Better to have the actual actor rather than some guy who's trying to sound like him.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Sonic is dead in English version, always will and always has been.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Hehe, I might print this out and put it in peoples mailboxes. Just to see their reactions, assuming I stand by their mailbox all day waitng for them to get their mail.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

What's really funny is they thought a larger version would perhaps further the cause in ways a normal sized flier might not accomplish.

Plorpus III

Post by Plorpus III »

SegaSonic wrote:Sonic is dead in English version, always will and always has been.
You are a gigantic retard and no one likes you.

I don't understand why people would go to the lengths to BOYCOTT the fucking game just because of a voice that sounds like a decent immitation of the previous one.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

People like SegaSonic can just simply avoid the Gamecube versions of the recent games. The PS2 and X-BOX version of Heroes, Shadow, and Riders contain the original Japanese voices.

Professor Machenstein

Post by Professor Machenstein »

Even if there were enough people to boycott the games to have even a remotely considerable decline in sales, do you think SEGA would conclude it is because of the voice actors... Out of the other problems in the Sonic games?

"Well, we are losing a 48th of our market. Hmm... I wonder what reason. Is it that we never fix anything from the previous games and keep adding new problems? Is it the piss poor level design, problematic camera, undesired gameplay styles, out-dated graphics, and our endless conveyer belt of moronic new characters? No! It must be the voice actors!"

Honestly, of all those other problems... and a change of voice actors was enough to get fans boycotting?

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Some Sonic fans, like myself, are like sheep to SEGA's flock. Even Sonic Adventure had its problems..

I have, however, avoided purchaisng the Advance games since 2002, and still don't care enough to buy them.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Professor Machenstein wrote:Even if there were enough people to boycott the games to have even a remotely considerable decline in sales, do you think SEGA would conclude it is because of the voice actors... Out of the other problems in the Sonic games?

"Well, we are losing a 48th of our market. Hmm... I wonder what reason. Is it that we never fix anything from the previous games and keep adding new problems? Is it the piss poor level design, problematic camera, undesired gameplay styles, out-dated graphics, and our endless conveyer belt of moronic new characters? No! It must be the voice actors!"

Honestly, of all those other problems... and a change of voice actors was enough to get fans boycotting?
Do you expect me to interpret that as anything other than a disguised plea from an angry fanboy? I thought you were done with that shit.